Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: The Skinny

• Start Topic

It seemed to me that Whit and Tal were pretty much over  the "let's adopt a baby" idea.  Neither seemed that into it.  So, I deduct that it was producer driven and it's not something to be explored further unless they have to. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, Dot said:

Big Fat drop in the ratings for this last episode:

#49 of Tue Top 50 cable shows

0.18 share (down 0.11 points)

712,000 viewers

How do these ‘wrap up’ shoes typically do for TLC shows, not just MBFFL? Do they typically keep their regular ratings or dip? This was the first one I watched and it was so boring. If they are all like that I can’t image even regular watchers would tune in in the same numbers. 

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Dot said:

712,000 viewers

It sounds bad, to be #49, but then it's still top 50.  I don't know how bad/what this means.

1 minute ago, 3girlsforus said:

How do these ‘wrap up’ shoes typically do for TLC shows, not just MBFFL? Do they typically keep their regular ratings or dip? This was the first one I watched and it was so boring. If they are all like that I can’t image even regular watchers would tune in in the same numbers. 

The other MBFFL wrap-up shows were a lot more interesting than this one, with more snarkworthy drama.

• Love 2

Maybe if they had wangled a one-on-one interview by Shaun with Avi, it might have been amusing.

"It's true, Shaun, I'm attracted to bodacious women. I'm a man who likes a soft landing, if you know what I mean. And there are probably hundreds of big beautiful girls with smarts and good personalities, the whole nine yards, who get overlooked or rejected by men who don't appreciate all they have to offer. Well, I appreciate it. A lot. So I meet a lot of available ladies who are attractive to me and I want to date them. But since I am very clear from the get-go that I am not interested in anything long term, let alone permanent, I want to know how I end up the bad guy? From her own mouth, Whitney says I told her I wasn't interested in being her boyfriend, that I was commitment phobic, that marriage was not on the cards. Truthfully, when I first met her, I was a bit put off by her behavior - she was very brash and loud and she liked to talk about sex, which seem a bit too forward for a first date. But I saw her on and off for less than a year, and she's taking Jewish studies and planning to convert when we marry? Who asked her? She's supposed to be touring around with some dancers for a year and I figured that was a natural way to let the thing fade out - but then she's running back home and says to everyone she needs to be with her boyfriend? Who said I was her boyfriend? I did everything but tattoo "I am not exclusively interested in you" on my forehead, but when she found out about my past relationship with Nada, she went completely crazy, as far as I'm concerned. Oh, and just to set the record straight, Nada and I were not engaged when I met Whitney. Had we discussed marriage - yes, I told her I wasn't ready to commit. Was I still involved with her when I met Whitney, yes. But she was not my fiancée. Period. And then the crazy stalking! The attempt to get me fired! The rummaging the world to find other women I used to date and making a little club out of them! What the fuck? 

Did I learn anything from this? Hell, yeah. The next woman I'm interested in is going to get a written disclosure and a warning that she dates me at her own risk!

Now please, can I get out of here before she tracks me down and starts bellowing and sobbing all over me?"

• Love 21

with more snarkworthy drama

Fond memories from past season wrap ups:

I can't remember the exact dialogue but Twit asked Buddy if he had ever had romantic feelings for her. His answer was no.

Whitney confronting Roy whether he had a girlfriend.

Whitney asking Lennie if right there, on national tv, if he was asking to get back together with her. And I do remember his answer, "Ummm, No."

• Love 14
18 minutes ago, Tosia said:

Ketzel, that "commentary by Avi" was better than an Easter basket!

Except for the chocolate bunny. Gotta have one Godiva bunny. 

Everything goes better with Godiva chocolate, but I don't think their Easter bunnies are kosher for Passover!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, auntjess said:

It sounds bad, to be #49, but then it's still top 50.  I don't know how bad/what this means.

I don't know either, but can surmise that TLC -- and its advertisers -- wouldn't be happy. MBLLF has been between 18 & 25 most Tuesdays.

Also, the show lost more than 300,000 viewers this week.I would think TLC might rethink whether it wants to have another recap episode to end S-6.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Dot said:

Also, the show lost more than 300,000 viewers this week.I would think TLC might rethink whether it wants to have another recap episode to end S-6.

The episodes got more and more boring as the season ended, and there was no drama for the recap, no Keryn, and not all that much Whit stuff.
Heather & Buddy certainly can't carry another season.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Ketzel said:

The rummaging the world to find other women I used to date and making a little club out of them! What the fuck?

Great Avi script, @Ketzel.

I thought it was interesting that Twit's comment in The Skinny indicates she's still stalking Avi. She said something like, "It's up to over 20 now," which seemed to mean the search hasn't ended.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when she finds one of these women. What Qs does she ask? I bet Twit tries to ferret out every detail of the woman's sexual romps with Avi.

3 minutes ago, Dot said:

duplicate deleted

Edited by Dot
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, auntjess said:

The episodes got more and more boring as the season ended, and there was no drama for the recap, no Keryn, and not all that much Whit stuff.
Heather & Buddy certainly can't carry another season.

The entire season was so disjointed with storylines popping up and then disappearing. She was going to be Jewish, no other mention of that until the recap. I expected Nadia to be on the recap but no real mention of her new best friend. It was weird.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Ketzel said:

Maybe if they had wangled a one-on-one interview by Shaun with Avi, it might have been amusing.

"It's true, Shaun, I'm attracted to bodacious women. I'm a man who likes a soft landing, if you know what I mean. And there are probably hundreds of big beautiful girls with smarts and good personalities, the whole nine yards, who get overlooked or rejected by men who don't appreciate all they have to offer. Well, I appreciate it. A lot. So I meet a lot of available ladies who are attractive to me and I want to date them. But since I am very clear from the get-go that I am not interested in anything long term, let alone permanent, I want to know how I end up the bad guy?

If he could possibly convert to a Mormon, he'd be home free, TLC show wise.
My 20 Wives, oh yeah.  Eat your hearts out Kody, and the scary guy.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, LivinLovinLife said:

The entire season was so disjointed with storylines popping up and then disappearing. She was going to be Jewish, no other mention of that until the recap. I expected Nadia to be on the recap but no real mention of her new best friend. It was weird.

And, remember, the first 3 episodes had to be doubled becuz there was just too much good stuff for 13 hours.

They should have been cutting material to shape up the story arcs.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, LivinLovinLife said:

I expected Nadia to be on the recap but no real mention of her new best friend. It was weird.

She's has more best friends, than she's had hot meals, and that's saying something.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Dot said:

And, remember, the first 3 episodes had to be doubled becuz there was just too much good stuff for 13 hours.

They should have been cutting material to shape up the story arcs.

If they had cut the last three episodes and strung out the first three, we would have died under the weight of the Avi story arc going on for so long.  I think that's why the producers did it that way.

She's still stalking Avi!!!  What could be interesting next season would be Twit dodging numerous lawsuits of all the people she has slandered or criminally harassed in five seasons.

I'm puzzled why the last episode ended, credits running, with her parents making faces at the balloon festival over the news of the adoption, and then a week later the recap shows no interest.  So the recap must have been filmed much later (would explain why they could parade the footage), and TLC now knows there will be no further adoption storyline.  Isn't the only storyline left going back to the beginning with Whitney losing weight and getting in shape?  If it hadn't substantially started by the time the Skinny was filmed (we would have seen a difference in weight), it isn't happening.

I think Twit has received her last paycheck from TLC.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Brooks said:

If they had cut the last three episodes and strung out the first three, we would have died under the weight of the Avi story arc going on for so long.  I think that's why the producers did it that way.

She's still stalking Avi!!!  What could be interesting next season would be Twit dodging numerous lawsuits of all the people she has slandered or criminally harassed in five seasons.

I'm puzzled why the last episode ended, credits running, with her parents making faces at the balloon festival over the news of the adoption, and then a week later the recap shows no interest.  So the recap must have been filmed much later (would explain why they could parade the footage), and TLC now knows there will be no further adoption storyline.  Isn't the only storyline left going back to the beginning with Whitney losing weight and getting in shape?  If it hadn't substantially started by the time the Skinny was filmed (we would have seen a difference in weight), it isn't happening.

I think so too, there's not a whole lot to work with especially now that she's announced she has no desire to loose weight.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Brooks said:

I wasn't suggesting that. I think ALL the story arcs could have been tightened up considerably, incl. the Avi-stalking one. We all moaned & groaned about how boring each was: Ashley's pregnancy, Heather & Buddy, Buddy's addiction, the 8K -- the editors could have chopped out a lot of what we viewers saw.

I disagree.There's a smugness about Twit this year that I didn't see last year at contract-negotiating time. I think a S-6 is signed, sealed & getting set to be delivered in 2019.

We'll know, of course, based on how much she gives away on FB since, judging from S-5, she is constitutionally unable not to tell her fans all the story arcs a year in advance.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Dot said:

712,000 viewers

Her competition was Rosanne.  I would’ve been surprised if her ratings had maintained.

Also, there are a lot of people like me who quit watching.

• Love 8
On 3/28/2018 at 3:42 PM, pdlinda said:

I was never entirely clear on the aspects of Buddy's life circumstances, physical appearance, emotional depth and/or character that seem to be a magnet for Heather (and, I presume, other women) causing him to be considered irresistible.  Maybe someone can enlighten me???

I have NO IDEA either....I think we may have to ask those thousands of people on the internet who are saying Buddyis HOT!  I’m still looking for them, I’ll let you know when something turns up 

8D51A7E3-94F9-4906-B6B1-70BE884F2A6A.gif

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Kid said:

Her competition was Rosanne.  I would’ve been surprised if her ratings had maintained.

Also, there are a lot of people like me who quit watching.

I wonder if the show has been renewed??? 

1 hour ago, LivinLovinLife said:

I would hazard a guess and say yes. It could be one of the reasons she's posting workout clips. Perhaps revisiting the original premise of the show.

I'm thinking her willingness to spend so much time at the gym is a clear indication of how desperate she is to keep the money coming.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I'm thinking her willingness to spend so much time at the gym is a clear indication of how desperate she is to keep the money coming.

You said it better, I don't believe she's suddenly self-motivated by health.

• Love 3
(edited)

Maybe Twit's in the gym more often  because her eating/drinking buddy/room mate/crush, Buddy, is away from her in Charleston---and doesn't seem interested in seeing her.

Her other barnacles have jobs, babies, kids, and actual lives. 

So she's got no one to sit around with and eat/drink/smoke  ( while kvetching about haterz online). 

And trying to come up with something interesting for another TLC season.

Edited by Tosia
Desperation sweat?
  • Love 5

Another very telling moment during "The Skinny" was when Shaun asked Glenn if he thought Twit should lose weight.  The look of fear on his face if he were to say his true feelings on the subject was obvious....then a cut to Twit's face with the evil glare at him if he dare say yes.  So he again coddles this infantile toddler in a VERY adult sized body and takes the path of least resistance and says something about wanting her to be healthy.   I wish Glenn would have been straight up and said a big fat fabulous YES.  We would have all cheered as Twit stormed off the set screaming "BODY SHAMERS ALL OF YOU!"  

• Love 15
On 3/30/2018 at 9:01 PM, LivinLovinLife said:

I noticed this, too. It seems like a new strategy they're using--instead of drawing a storyline out, they've gone full squirrel. 

• Love 6
On 3/30/2018 at 7:35 PM, Ketzel said:

"It's true, Shaun, I'm attracted to bodacious women. I'm a man who likes a soft landing, if you know what I mean. And there are probably hundreds of big beautiful girls with smarts and good personalities, the whole nine yards, who get overlooked or rejected by men who don't appreciate all they have to offer. Well, I appreciate it. A lot. So I meet a lot of available ladies who are attractive to me and I want to date them. But since I am very clear from the get-go that I am not interested in anything long term, let alone permanent, I want to know how I end up the bad guy? From her own mouth, Whitney says I told her I wasn't interested in being her boyfriend, that I was commitment phobic, that marriage was not on the cards. Truthfully, when I first met her, I was a bit put off by her behavior - she was very brash and loud and she liked to talk about sex, which seem a bit too forward for a first date. But I saw her on and off for less than a year, and she's taking Jewish studies and planning to convert when we marry? Who asked her? She's supposed to be touring around with some dancers for a year and I figured that was a natural way to let the thing fade out - but then she's running back home and says to everyone she needs to be with her boyfriend? Who said I was her boyfriend? I did everything but tattoo "I am not exclusively interested in you" on my forehead, but when she found out about my past relationship with Nada, she went completely crazy, as far as I'm concerned. Oh, and just to set the record straight, Nada and I were not engaged when I met Whitney. Had we discussed marriage - yes, I told her I wasn't ready to commit. Was I still involved with her when I met Whitney, yes. But she was not my fiancée. Period. And then the crazy stalking! The attempt to get me fired! The rummaging the world to find other women I used to date and making a little club out of them! What the fuck? 

Did I learn anything from this? Hell, yeah. The next woman I'm interested in is going to get a written disclosure and a warning that she dates me at her own risk!

Now please, can I get out of here before she tracks me down and starts bellowing and sobbing all over me?"

So you're saying you actually KNOW Avi and have talked to him because I swear I could so see this being his take on the whole situation. Bravo. Bravo, indeed. @Ketzel, you have outdone yourself! :) 

On 3/30/2018 at 9:46 PM, Dot said:

I don't know either, but can surmise that TLC -- and its advertisers -- wouldn't be happy. MBLLF has been between 18 & 25 most Tuesdays.

How about just a Big Fat Fabulous Farewell episode? Then, in a year or two, we could have a special Big Fat Fabulous Follow-Up where Twit goes to see Dr. Now in Houston to see if she qualifies for surgery. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Ref. Whit's renters/friends/cast members, or whatever they call themselves....I'm always curious as to how much reality (wink, wink) shows pay, so, I was amused to see that  salaries for Vanderpump Rules got released.  Very interesting.....not that huge, but, not meager either.  I would imagine that Bravo has much more money to pay cast members than TLC does, so.....I'm still thinking that Whit might get at least $100,000.00 per season. (Vanderpump gets $500,000.0 and Jax $25,000.00 per episode)  For COMPARISON  purposes only.  Cost of living in LA much higher than little Greensboro too. 

https://www.elitedaily.com/p/how-much-does-the-cast-of-vanderpump-rules-get-paid-heres-official-breakdown-8670306

Edited by SunnyBeBe
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Ref. Whit's renters/friends/cast members, or whatever they call themselves....I'm always curious as to how much reality (wink, wink) shows pay, so, I was amused to see that  salaries for Vanderpump Rules got released.  Very interesting.....not that huge, but, not meager either.  I would imagine that Bravo has much more money to pay cast members than TLC does, so.....I'm still thinking that Whit might get at least $100,000.00 per season. (Vanderpump gets $500,000.0 and Jax $25,000.00 per episode)  For COMPARISON  purposes only.  Cost of living in LA much higher than little Greensboro too. 

https://www.elitedaily.com/p/how-much-does-the-cast-of-vanderpump-rules-get-paid-heres-official-breakdown-8670306

Not bad if she's pulling down a 100k, after taxes about average, probably netting 60-65k. Not early retirement salary

(edited)
6 minutes ago, LivinLovinLife said:

Not bad if she's pulling down a 100k, after taxes about average, probably netting 60-65k. Not early retirement salary

I'm just speculating, but, if she's making that, plus her renters proceeds cover all her out of pocket like, mortgage, taxes, utilities, she can pay her health insurance, personal, car and then invest for future. She has to know this gig is not forever and her health may not hold. Still, I'm not sure it's worth it for that.....all the drama, exposure, stress,......IDK.  Some people seem to like that kind of thing. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
13 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

if she's making that, plus her renters proceeds cover all her out of pocket like, mortgage, taxes, utilities, she can pay her health insurance, personal, car and then invest for future. She has to know this gig is not forever and her health may not hold.  

What renters proceeds?  Buddy reportedly wasn't paying and Donna is possibly being paid to stay there.  I don't see her being particularly careful about her money with Glenn Deep Pocket Thore lurking.  She also doesn't seem to have any real clue about health (all she has to do is to lose weight), so I don't see that as motivation either.  She talks about more home improvements.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Brooks said:

What renters proceeds?  Buddy reportedly wasn't paying and Donna is possibly being paid to stay there. 

I think this refers to what TLC pays to "rent" the house, and Babs & Glenn's too, as a location for filming.

• Love 1

Whit said Buddy paid her for his past due rent and then she had Tal move in, so, to me that implies he pays her rent and she has the other girl living there.  There is no proof that she lives rent free or for barter, so, I'll count that as rent too. 

• Love 1

That's good to hear that Buddy finally paid up (or did his parents, LOL?).  Do we know for sure that Tal is living there now?  I don't think there's much question that Donna is providing personal care services for Whitney (we know for sure someone has to be and plenty of indications that it's Donna), and if so that she is therefore paying little to no rent.  If Whitney gets an extra amount from TLC for filming, that helps but only for the periods TLC is there since filming does eventually wrap up for the season.  So I don't think we have any proof of ongoing rent payments.

On 3/28/2018 at 11:35 AM, Dot said:

He's the VP -- and probably a stakeholder -- in a printing company.

I don't think so, and I just spent a lovely few days burying my mom around those parts. It's in Morrisville, which is a good 50 miles from G'boro. Online I've only seen him described as a manager of the printing shop, which sounds fairly desperate.

13 hours ago, auntjess said:

I think this refers to what TLC pays to "rent" the house, and Babs & Glenn's too, as a location for filming.

I seriously doubt that PMG (prod. co.) pays Twit or parents to film in their houses.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Maricopa said:

I don't think so, and I just spent a lovely few days burying my mom around those parts. It's in Morrisville, which is a good 50 miles from G'boro. Online I've only seen him described as a manager of the printing shop, which sounds fairly desperate.

Keep in mind that there's plenty of people (men especially) who want to stay busy and productive in the workplace, even in their 60s/70s, but don't need/want a high-powered, responsibility-filled executive position.  I'm not saying that's the case here, but it sure could be,  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Keep in mind that there's plenty of people (men especially) who want to stay busy and productive in the workplace, even in their 60s/70s, but don't need/want a high-powered, responsibility-filled executive position.  I'm not saying that's the case here, but it sure could be,  

This is so true. My dad is 82 (thankfully still very healthy), an still shows up at the family business everyday. He takes time off when he wants too, but he would have a very difficult life if he couldn't feel productive (and he is). Personally, I think it's very important to stay busy when you hit the retirement age. I hope to be as healthy and active as my father some day.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Brooks said:

That's good to hear that Buddy finally paid up (or did his parents, LOL?).  Do we know for sure that Tal is living there now?  I don't think there's much question that Donna is providing personal care services for Whitney (we know for sure someone has to be and plenty of indications that it's Donna), and if so that she is therefore paying little to no rent.  If Whitney gets an extra amount from TLC for filming, that helps but only for the periods TLC is there since filming does eventually wrap up for the season.  So I don't think we have any proof of ongoing rent payments.

There is no evidence that Donna is Whitney's caretaker whatsoever.  As a matter of fact is has been mentioned several times that Donna is often away, traveling on business.  I don't understand why so many people think this.

• Love 4
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Globegrl said:

There is no evidence that Donna is Whitney's caretaker whatsoever.  As a matter of fact is has been mentioned several times that Donna is often away, traveling on business.  I don't understand why so many people think this.

Not much evidence, perhaps, but some.

• Massaging Twit's breasts on camera.
  • Jumping into the production crew van to accompany Twit back to the hotel after the 8K.
  • ALWAYS being around, esp. on vacations, etc. For example, after filming in HI ended, Donna was the only barnacle that stayed behind for several days with the family.
  • Usually rooming with Twit on trips.
  • We know Twit can't tie her own shoes or shave her legs; that's been show in MBFFL. Who else would be doing these & similar things for her?
Edited by Dot
  • Love 7
52 minutes ago, Dot said:

Not much evidence, perhaps, but some.

• Massaging Twit's breasts on camera.
  • Jumping into the production crew van to accompany Twit back to the hotel after the 8K.

I had already suspected that Donna is her caretaker from the way Whitney discusses her in her book, so these two points especially confirmed it for me. There is no way Whitney’s *friend* would accompany her back to the hotel over Whitney’s *parents*—unless it was accepted that Whitney would need assistance and she had a caretaker on hand whose job that would explicitly be. 

Of course they’re not going to confirm it on air—that would mean Whitney admitting her ‘fabulous life’ includes someone to help her with bathing herself, powdering her folds, toileting, etc. They hid her smoking for five seasons—hiding a caretaker is nothing.

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

I had already suspected that Donna is her caretaker from the way Whitney discusses her in her book, so these two points especially confirmed it for me. There is no way Whitney’s *friend* would accompany her back to the hotel over Whitney’s *parents*—unless it was accepted that Whitney would need assistance and she had a caretaker on hand whose job that would explicitly be. 

Of course they’re not going to confirm it on air—that would mean Whitney admitting her ‘fabulous life’ includes someone to help her with bathing herself, powdering her folds, toileting, etc. They hid her smoking for five seasons—hiding a caretaker is nothing.

The one that confirmed it for me also was having Donna get into the van to go back to the hotel, but not the parents or her supposedly "best" friends...

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Dot said:

I seriously doubt that PMG (prod. co.) pays Twit or parents to film in their houses.

Most likely it isn't a line item... but I'd be willing to bet there is verbiage included in their contracts whereby a certain amount of hours or days during the shoot time that footage will be shot in and around where they live.

Just my two pence.