Type keyword(s) to search

S37: Spoilers and Speculation

LadyChatts
  • Start Topic

Hopefully it's not too early to start a thread for the new season, but we potentially have out first cast member:

http://www.tmz.com/2018/03/23/florida-hot-cop-daniel-rengering-featured-tapped-star-on-survivor/

One of the Florida "hot cops" who went viral last year is getting another 15 minutes of fame courtesy of CBS' reality TV -- and we know what you're thinking ... it ain't THAT "hot cop."

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ that Officer Daniel Rengering of Gainesville, FL has taken a leave of absence to appear on the next season of "Survivor," which is about to start production. We're told his patrol job will be there for him if and when he returns. 

In case you're unfamiliar ... Rengering and 2 of his cop buddies set the Internet ablaze during Hurricane Irma back in September, basically just for being "hot" and on the ground helping folks. Turns out, the guy in the middle -- Michael Hamill -- resigned after his anti-Semitic Facebook posts were uncovered. Rengering had nothing to do with that, though. 

As for this latest shot at Hollywood ... sources tell us Rengering was approached by "Survivor" producers about 6 months ago, and that he agreed to be a contestant. He's getting paid for the TV gig ... no less than $10k ... and possibly up to $1M if he wins.

We're told he's flying out to Fiji to start filming season 37 by the end of this week. His last day at the Gainesville Police Department was last week. Good luck, bub.

Since filming would wrap around the time of the S36 finale, I'm assuming they would be starting that any day.  We know this is a newbie season, once again in Fiji.  According to Redmond it sounded like they were having trouble casting for both this season and S38.  No word on the theme, but there were some interesting types being sought after (Captain America type, California blonde volleyball players or skateboarders, pro surfers, well rounded red heads, and the token teenager).  Not sure if these were being looked for for this season or next, but I can see why they have trouble casting.

• Love 1

I saw this last night and wasn't sure if he was being cast for 38 or 39, guess I missed the part about next season. 

The thing that struck me most was he looked so much like Michael.  

I'm getting pretty sick of how alike everyone is.  Token teenager - casting a Michael?  Capt America - that could be Chris to me 

Just really tired of  the - get me a Cochran, get me a Boston Rob, get me a Michael recruitment. 

Stephanie had applied 15 times and is plenty hot and a good player - any problems they are having with casting is bullshit on themselves and their stupid ideas about this being Big Brother. 

• Love 5
On 3/23/2018 at 1:01 PM, LadyChatts said:

we potentially have out first cast member:

Maybe not.  That TMZ article might have just screwed him over.

AFAIK, once selected for Survivor, even as an alternate, contestants have a very limited pool of people they can tell; mainly just immediate family and employers, so those groups can figure out how to adapt, if necessary, to the contestant being gone for over 7 weeks.  Beyond that, their participation is part of an NDA, so they are not legally permitted to disclose the fact they will be on Survivor until after taping is complete.

With this article out (and apparently his agent (another red flag) tweeting to Dalton Ross, but has since been deleted), it looks like the NDA has been violated, which would put this guy's participation in jeopardy, even if he was stunt-cast.  Some are even speculating that the "law enforcement sources" mentioned in the article were the guy himself.

He has an agent?  Wow.  When I saw the picture on TMZ I thought they were talking about one of the other guys who was better looking. 

Ah.  Reading the article these guys got popular on the internet during Hurricane Irma.  So maybe he has been trying to leverage that into something.

But that was after I wondered - are those real cops?  Because they actually didn't look like it to me.  Most cop shops don't allow beards but apparently Gainesville must. 

Which leads to my last "I wonder why".........so many cops and no fireman on Survivor?  I think fireman are hotter, more physically fit and more versatile in what they can do.  

http://www.tmz.com/2018/03/23/florida-hot-cop-daniel-rengering-featured-tapped-star-on-survivor/

Edited by marys1000
On 3/24/2018 at 7:59 AM, marys1000 said:

I'm getting pretty sick of how alike everyone is.  Token teenager - casting a Michael?  Capt America - that could be Chris to me 

Just really tired of  the - get me a Cochran, get me a Boston Rob, get me a Michael recruitment.

What, a "well-rounded redhead" doesn't do it for you?  :)  For some reason that totally cracked me up.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Special K said:

What, a "well-rounded redhead" doesn't do it for you?  :)  For some reason that totally cracked me up.

How many other redheads have there been, if any?  Cochran was sort of redhead but I don't know about the well rounded part:) 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, marys1000 said:

How many other redheads have there been, if any?  Cochran was sort of redhead but I don't know about the well rounded part:) 

There was that guy Patrick from last season, but I wouldn't call him well-rounded!

Cochran is definitely a redhead, not well-rounded.  :)

• Love 1

So in that casting of future seasons on reddit I saw this - are they referring to big brother?

At least Survivor still casts people who play the game, I am so fucking embarrassed that for every Vanessa or Paulie, we get five people like Matt or Christmas on Big Brother.

The woman that cast Matt and Raven is now casting for Survivor.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, marys1000 said:

So in that casting of future seasons on reddit I saw this - are they referring to big brother?

At least Survivor still casts people who play the game, I am so fucking embarrassed that for every Vanessa or Paulie, we get five people like Matt or Christmas on Big Brother.

The woman that cast Matt and Raven is now casting for Survivor.

That scares me terribly.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

That scares me terribly.

On the other hand, just imagine if Raven had ended up on Survivor....

But yeah. Cast people, not parts. This isn't a production of And Then There Were None.

• Love 3

Interesting speculative predictions.  I was going to post it in that thread but since there aren't really spoilers anywhere I thought I'd post it here.  The boot spoilers have been fairly wrong but some have predicted Bradley and James pre merge right?  This article "predicts" Bradley tonight although I'm not sure how. 

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/survivor-episode-6-preview-jeff-probst-ghost-island-fate-is-the-homie-news/

That comment by Jeff at the end of the 10 s preview "Brand new start to Ghost Island" suggests they change the rules somehow?  Ramp it up?  Sea Bass predicted tonights go to GI.

Fate is to the homie - sounds like a SeaBassim. Goes to GI and gets something good sounds like 

As to the casting producer - I guess our  cast people not characters is not going to happen.  Apparently the characters thing is only going to get worse?

Edited by marys1000

Casting characters isn't really anything new, I just don't know if it's ever been this specific-or I guess this bad.  Comparing older seasons to the newer seasons, they definitely had their type back then, but it still seemed less Big Brother style.  Even the first season they had their types, but it seemed a little more believable to go along with the "all walks of life" casting.  

And in terms of this cast member not getting on because of this being leaked ahead of time-I don't know anymore with this show.  Contestants on the current season were showing up at charity events before the cast was revealed, and they aren't supposed to be doing that.  They use to be stricter about SM.  One of the couples that got together this season has their own IG account.  So who knows.  They may have purposely let this bit of info leak.  Maybe this is who they went with for the Captain America role?

• Love 3

Yes. They have always cast certain character types. No question about that. The "Captain America" type has existed really since the beginning (Colby in season 2, Hunter in season 4). The reason it seems much more blatant now is social media in my opinion.  Now you have casting associates actually posting on social media to find these casting types.

• Love 1
(edited)

Feels like I’ve already seen this cast play.

ETA: Looks like the hot cop that was spoiled early on didn't get his chances hurt by that getting revealed.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Color me (no pun intended) presently surprised that three contestants are African-American males. I can't remember that happening since Fiji. Doesn't guarantee anything, of course. I remember the weirdness of M vs. Gx having three Asian women and those three Asian women being the first three gone. 

In fact, looks like a pretty diverse cast period. Six out of the 14 people revealed seem to be PoC. After the blah-ness of the last two seasons, I'm hoping Survivor casting changes up somewhat. I'd love to see about half of cast of PoC just to give us some freshness in perspectives. Survivor does feel in a rut the last couple years with casts that do feel very similar to one another.  

Seeing the civil defender from Kentucky pinged my Hali radar. I was thinking that it would be funny if they cast her prosecutor boyfriend. Then she could show up for the family visit. Whatever, I need more Hali in my life. 

On 5/11/2018 at 2:42 PM, Nashville said:

Hey, Alec!  David Lynch called - he wants his hair back.

I know, right? That hairstyle is 90s as fuck.  

• Love 4
12 hours ago, loki567 said:

Seeing the civil defender from Kentucky pinged my Hali radar. I was thinking that it would be funny if they cast her prosecutor boyfriend. Then she could show up for the family visit. Whatever, I need more Hali in my life. 

It is actually Hali's prosecutor husband now. They got married in the fall.

I love Hali.  I think she's way better of a player at this game than she's been given a chance to prove.  I'd probably be in the 1% but I'd love seeing her back a 3rd time (though I doubt she would do it).

That guy, Nick, gives me a Bradley vibe.

• Love 2

Yeah, Hali is a good under the radar player, and she had some funny little quips and moments in Game Changers.  She really got screwed with the tribe swaps that season, and just being on the losing side of the numbers all the time.  Wouldn't mind seeing her again someday!  

None of the guys are really doing it for me so far with these brief photos/profiles, but maybe the ladies can shake it up.  I appreciate the diversity and Bi and Natalia are beautiful.  I noticed they cast another 19 year old girl.  They just keep skewing younger and younger! 

Given the track record of POC on this show in recent seasons (especially the ladies) I don't have my hopes high.  I want to see the Cirie's and Yul's and Sandra's again.  Bi has me intrigued for the ladies, but I can't say anyone else is jumping out at me right now.  I seriously feel like I can say "hey, they were just on HHH or GI" looking at some of their photos. 

I am curious what the theme will be.  I've seen rumors on another site ( @anthonyd46 posted on another site a possible theme, but not sure if that's true).  Not like themes really matter in the long run, anyway.   

(edited)
19 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

What's the rumored theme?

He had said it was supposedly a David vs Goliath type theme (or as I like to call it, WA 3.0 except it's only the white collar vs the blue collars).  Funny thing is, I'd heard this theme rumored a few seasons ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.  I'd be surprised if that's what they really call it, but I can see them doing a strong vs weak type tribe format. 

ETA: Yep, David vs Goliath.  Common people vs successful people.  So blue/no collar vs white collar?  Sorry, but they really need to get out of Fiji.  There are plenty of locales where the cast won't suffer.  These themes are getting ridiculous, especially because they amount to absolutely nothing by episode 3.  International versions prove you don't need Fiji or stupid themes to be successful. 

http://insidesurvivor.com/survivor-season-37-theme-and-title-revealed-33895

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

So based on the spoiled cast, I could see the tribes being like this (give or take because there's always someone who winds up on a tribe with a theme that has little to do with them):

David: Gabriela, Jessica, Alec, Carl

Goliath: Bi, Alison, Angelina,  Natalia, Daniel, John, Nick

Not sure: Kara, Davie, Jeremy (since we don't know what he does yet)

Redmond updated the list-a familiar face has been added if you've watched TAR.  Mike White who appeared with his father Mel on TAR 14 and TAR 18. 

Wonder if we'll be getting any crossovers for BB this summer.

33 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Redmond updated the list-a familiar face has been added if you've watched TAR.  Mike White who appeared with his father Mel on TAR 14 and TAR 18. 

Wonder if we'll be getting any crossovers for BB this summer.

I love Mike White.  Mostly from Enlightened.  Didn't see him in TAR.

• Love 2

I never followed him off of TAR, so I'm not overly familiar with what he's done in Hollywood.  I did like him and his dad on TAR, though.  He's kind of a surprising choice from TAR to pop up.

Mike White is a screenwriter and had a blink-and-you'll-miss-it part in Freaks and Geeks (he plays Kim Kelly's zonked out brother), which he also wrote for. I have a lot of time for Mike White, though Survivor seems like an odd fit for him. I see him as being a cross between Cochran and Dave from Millennials vs. Gen X.

• Love 1

http://m.tmz.com/#!article/2018/05/15/survivor-season-37-contestants-out-themselves-5-million-dollar-nda/

Not really a spoiler other than it applies to 2 contestants for this upcoming season.  

To be fair, though, several of the GI pre mergers were discovered by their SM connections.  Other Survivors from GI were showing up at events when former contestants said they shouldn’t have been. I know there use to be a SM rule in place but I thought they gave up on that.  

Not to mention, one of this seasons contestants was spoiled publicly before filming was to begin.  

I have to think CBS/SEG leaked this story themselves as I can't think of how TMZ would even know these two morons were on the next season or why they would care. maybe CBS/SEG has had enough of this social media nonsense that goes on year after year after year and now they have finally decided to clamp down on it.  That is my guess any way.

• Love 1
(edited)

So Alec was punished, not Kara (so far).  He was uninvited from the reunion and will not get that appearance fee.  Makes me believe he must not have had much impact on this season.

The last time I remember them clamping down on a cast was halfway through KR because Jason was posting spoilers.  Maybe they are just fed up with people being able to piece together how a season goes based on weight loss pics (not always a good indicator) and who follows who.  The GI cast might have sent them over the edge.

Edited by LadyChatts