Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: The Honeymoons, Part 2

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Screw you Molly for not wanting the cat in bed with you, but then again allergies are no joke.  They should have matched John with a non-allergic woman.

Here's more of the "experts" in action! "Sonia's terrified of dogs, lets match her with a guy who has TWO! It will help her overcome her fear!" "Molly's allergic to cats, so let's match her with a guy who not only has a cat, but he has a moody bad kitty, which he is devoted! Trying to win the cat over will soften her and make Jon love her even more!" These twits are certifiable. A couple of 13 year olds would do a better job of matchmaking.

14 hours ago, MJS said:

Jephte keeps saying that he does not know his new wife, but have we seen one iota of effort from to get to know her? How does he think getting to know someone works? Plus he universalizes his experiences- if he feels it should be slow, then everyone should feel that way. 

Bah, he is emotionally selfish and lacks empathy, while expecting empathy for himself.

14 hours ago, Adeejay said:

On Unfiltered, he admitted that he wasn't attracted to her.  He said that he was hoping to see an IG model come walking the aisle.  This ordinary, low income guy seems to believe that he should have been matched with someone who looks like Beyoncé or Rihanna.  Talk about delusional. 

He just gets worse and worse. He reminds me of Matches in that Jon Scieszka story "Straw and Matches", which I will post in its entirety here:

It was the end of summer vacation. Straw had done everything he could think of. He was bored. So he went over to play with someone he had been warned to stay away from.

"Let's play checkers," said Straw.

"Okay, I'm the red ones I get to move first I get two moves and you get one," said Matches.

"Forget it," said Straw. "Let's play ping-pong instead."

"Okay I get the good paddle you stand on that side I get to serve first and you have to close one eye," said Matches.

"Never mind," said Straw. "Maybe we should just watch TV."

"Okay you sit over there on the floor I'll sit on the couch I get the remote and we have to watch my favourite video," said Matches.

"I think I hear my mom calling," said Straw. "I'd better go."

Moral: Don't play with matches.

• Love 9

I felt bad for Jon. Yes he's high energy but he's trying to make her laugh and she seemed into it at first. As far as getting her muddy... Why go off roading if u don't plan on getting dirty? He went around the first mud puddle bit there was no possible way around the one he drove thru. Chill Molly. I think having the other couples there isn't helping the relationships. I  still say Shawniece made a very bad impression on jephte right out of the gate. Her immature overly sexual behavior was a total turnoff to him and he asked her to tone it down and she disregarded

his feelings. 

I think he was attracted to her at first and then her personality made her unattractive just like Molly was attracted to Jon til she found things about his personality that irritated her. 

Ryan is weird. I don't trust him anymore. I think he had an angry dark side. As though he's going to be disappointed and nasty when Jackie doesn't live up to his fantasy expectations 

Love that Jon had a cat. Some of the best guys I've dated had cats. 

• Love 8

So Jephte already admitted he pretty much checked out. Said if he wasn't married (or in his case, stuck in a married at first sight contract) he would have left. I feel like he has been pushing her away from day 1 because he wasn't attracted to her. He shouldn't have signed up for this show.

Jon reminds me of a frat boy so I can see why Molly gets annoyed and thing he acts like a 12 year old boy, but at the same time she should have told him directly instead of letting him find out what she's really feeling during a video chat session with one of the "experts".

Ryan is annoying, he talks a lot and seems to have a big ego. You can tell that Jon doesn't like him just based on the meetings they've had so far with the guys.. especially when he was like "oh you're unemployed, that sucks! I've never been unemployed!"

So far Ryan and Jacklyn seem like they have a chance, but Ryan may mess it up by constantly talking, not listening and being annoying.

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, kira28 said:

I felt bad for Jon. Yes he's high energy but he's trying to make her laugh and she seemed into it at first. As far as getting her muddy... Why go off roading if u don't plan on getting dirty? He went around the first mud puddle bit there was no possible way around the one he drove thru. Chill Molly. I think having the other couples there isn't helping the relationships. I  still say Shawniece made a very bad impression on jephte right out of the gate. Her immature overly sexual behavior was a total turnoff to him and he asked her to tone it down and she disregarded

his feelings. 

I think he was attracted to her at first and then her personality made her unattractive just like Molly was attracted to Jon til she found things about his personality that irritated her. 

Ryan is weird. I don't trust him anymore. I think he had an angry dark side. As though he's going to be disappointed and nasty when Jackie doesn't live up to his fantasy expectations 

Love that Jon had a cat. Some of the best guys I've dated had cats. 

Yeah, I'm feeling bad all day for Jon.  He really likes her and she doesn't want to sleep with a 12 year old boy.  Wow!  What's wrong with being high energy?  He could turn it down.  Molly looks like she could be a pain in the ass.  Things have to be perfect with everything.  Maybe that's why she hasn't gotten a guy that she wanted in 10 years.  He look d so rejected when she told the therapist that and not him.  What if he told the therapist he doesn't like all the crap on her face every day.  How would she feel?  He seems like a nice guy and is trying to please her.  Also, I think Ryan is jealous of Jons good looks and body.  He had no business saying Jon had no job.  People change jobs all the time .. It's none of his business.  Besides Jon was in the military and that says something.

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

Also, I think Ryan is jealous of Jons good looks and body.  He had no business saying Jon had no job.  People change jobs all the time .. It's none of his business.  

I think Ryan was trying to project himself as the alpha male of the group but just came off looking insecure in his attempt. As a firefighter, he assumes that he makes money than Jephte the teacher so he doesn't view him as a threat. However, if Jonathan were still employed in finance, he'd probably make money than Ryan so that's threatening to him. 

• Love 5

Jephte is just RUDE period.  He is treating Shawneice much worse than even a stranger, so Her being a stranger is no excuse.  Hey buddy, this is part of the gig you signed up for and are getting paid for.  No one feels sorry for you. You are not making your Momma proud.  Plenty of couples don't work out so why not have some fun and see what happens. 

He is in the same category like the chick who wouldn't even talk to David (the one who ended up having his own rejection reality show) and the one who had an argument on her honeymoon and refused to do the show afterwards.    Contracts people....you signed them using your superior minds so take the consequences.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Lily247 said:

I remember 2 instances when the groom did not seem ecstatic, from their body language, at seeing what his new wife looked like : Ryan D and Jessica from Season 2 (even though they had sex right away, he didnt seem to be crazy about her) and Nick and Sonia from Miami. However, tastefully, none of them ever came out and said that they dd not find themselves overly attracted to their wives. However, quite a few of the wives came right out and blurted out that they were not physically attracted to their husbands one bit (Jamie, Jaclyn Season 2, Ashley from Atlanta Sam from Atlanta). This does seem like a double standard where I guess it is assumed that a woman wouldnt be able to handle hearing that her new husband wasn't feeling her looks, but that a man could handle it. 

Also Barf Bag Sean seemed fine with Davina on the wedding day, but then wanted nothing to do with her after that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lusterleaf said:

So far Ryan and Jacklyn seem like they have a chance, but Ryan may mess it up by constantly talking, not listening and being annoying.

My take on those two is different. He was really getting on her nerves at dinner. She was making some crazy faces. I think that she thinks he's a phony.

• Love 5

6 straight days and nights of Ryan would make the most patient, accepting person start to side eye his constant stream of insincere verbal diarrhea......

Ryan, shut up and listen to Jackie...She revealed that she was in a bad place psychologically a year ago and you change the subject with how awesome breakfast was?

Get your head out of your ass and listen to her instead of your own blather.....

Hope when Ryan is on the Unfiltered show...his clips point out how he failed time after time to listen to Jackie...

He is already repeating the same rehearsed spiels about his love and loyalty...blah blah blah....on an endless loop.

Think she mouthed ...help me....on last night's episode during the dinner where they had to step over candles in a heart pattern on the ground.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 9
22 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

6 straight days and nights of Ryan would make the most patient, accepting person start to side eye his constant stream of insincere verbal diarrhea......

Ryan, shut up and listen to Jackie...She revealed that she was in a bad place psychologically a year ago and you change the subject with how awesome breakfast was?

Get your head out of your ass and listen to her instead of your own blather.....

Hope when Ryan is on the Unfiltered show...his clips point out how he failed time after time to listen to Jackie...

He is already repeating the same rehearsed spiels about his love and loyalty...blah blah blah....on an endless loop.

Think she mouthed ...help me....on last night's episode during the dinner where they had to step over candles in a heart pattern on the ground.

Ryan's a firefighter and from what I know about firefighters' schedules, they serve consecutive days & nights at the firehouse and then have consecutive days off. So Jaclyn will have many days where she will have a reprieve from Ryan's blather but she will have other days where it will be hard to avoid him. Maybe she will encourage him to be a more proactive landlord or play more paintball. 

Edited by Gobears
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Isn't he 25?  Single for so long and set in his ways. lol

2 hours ago, Lusterleaf said:

So Jephte already admitted he pretty much checked out. Said if he wasn't married (or in his case, stuck in a married at first sight contract) he would have left. I feel like he has been pushing her away from day 1 because he wasn't attracted to her. He shouldn't have signed up for this show.

Jon reminds me of a frat boy so I can see why Molly gets annoyed and thing he acts like a 12 year old boy, but at the same time she should have told him directly instead of letting him find out what she's really feeling during a video chat session with one of the "experts".

Ryan is annoying, he talks a lot and seems to have a big ego. You can tell that Jon doesn't like him just based on the meetings they've had so far with the guys.. especially when he was like "oh you're unemployed, that sucks! I've never been unemployed!"

2 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Yeah, I'm feeling bad all day for Jon.  He really likes her and she doesn't want to sleep with a 12 year old boy.  Wow!  What's wrong with being high energy?  He could turn it down.  Molly looks like she could be a pain in the ass.  Things have to be perfect with everything.  Maybe that's why she hasn't gotten a guy that she wanted in 10 years.  He look d so rejected when she told the therapist that and not him.  What if he told the therapist he doesn't like all the crap on her face every day.  How would she feel?  He seems like a nice guy and is trying to please her.  Also, I think Ryan is jealous of Jons good looks and body.  He had no business saying Jon had no job.  People change jobs all the time .. It's none of his business.  Besides Jon was in the military and that says something.

1 hour ago, Palomar said:

Jephte is just RUDE period.  He is treating Shawneice much worse than even a stranger, so Her being a stranger is no excuse.  Hey buddy, this is part of the gig you signed up for and are getting paid for.  No one feels sorry for you. You are not making your Momma proud.  Plenty of couples don't work out so why not have some fun and see what happens. 

He is in the same category like the chick who wouldn't even talk to David (the one who ended up having his own rejection reality show) and the one who had an argument on her honeymoon and refused to do the show afterwards.    Contracts people....you signed them using your superior minds so take the consequences.

44 minutes ago, princelina said:

Also Barf Bag Sean seemed fine with Davina on the wedding day, but then wanted nothing to do with her after that.

Sean was like Ashley, a total phony that just wanted to be on tv and actually did not want to be married.  Plus the fact that Davina made more money sort of made his dick shrivel.  I did not like Davina, but did feel bad for her in the situation.  I think she got married in real life.  That season was a big disappointment after a pretty good season 1.

10 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

I really feel like Ryan is a giant s***.  He is intimidated by Jon and seem jealous of Jon's naturally more charismatic personality and conventional good looks.  Jephte is better looking as well, but is more laid back and the teacher salary does not intimidate him, though in my area teachers are well respected and earn a very nice living.

Molly is a pretty girl, but something about her comes off as very dorky.  I do not think she is as fun and life of the party as she thinks she is.

I think the worst arranged marriage situation is when you have a groom that is totally not into his spouse and then rebels even more as everyone tries to push her on him.  The more the experts will say things like Shawnice is perfect for you...she is not what you want but what you need (they actually said this on unfiltered) the more he is going to shut down and not try.  Shawnice is a great girl and it is really cruel to make her stay with a man who has no interest in her and will not even make the smallest effort.

• Love 12
40 minutes ago, qtpye said:

... I really feel like Ryan is a giant s***.  He is intimidated by Jon and seem jealous of Jon's naturally more charismatic personality and conventional good looks.  Jephte is better looking as well, but is more laid back and the teacher salary does not intimidate him, though in my area teachers are well respected and earn a very nice living.

Molly is a pretty girl, but something about her comes off as very dorky.  I do not think she is as fun and life of the party as she thinks she is.

I think the worst arranged marriage situation is when you have a groom that is totally not into his spouse and then rebels even more as everyone tries to push her on him.  The more the experts will say things like Shawnice is perfect for you...she is not what you want but what you need (they actually said this on unfiltered) the more he is going to shut down and not try.  Shawnice is a great girl and it is really cruel to make her stay with a man who has no interest in her and will not even make the smallest effort.

I think Ryan is 100% intimidated by Jon's looks and body (Ryan is hands-down the least attractive of the men IMO) and is delighted that Jon is unemployed because it gives him something about which to feel superior. It's really ugly behavior. 

There is nothing about Molly that says "life of the party." She seems pretty nondescript, personality-wise, to be honest. Like if you were describing her you'd say "She's nice." Which is fine! Nice is better than mean! But I wouldn't use "bubbly" or "vivacious" or "loud and crazy" to describe her. Both Shawniece and Jackie have bigger personalities than she does. Either she's not very self-aware, she hangs out with pretty boring people, or she's toning it WAY down.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I think Ryan is 100% intimidated by Jon's looks and body (Ryan is hands-down the least attractive of the men IMO) and is delighted that Jon is unemployed because it gives him something about which to feel superior. It's really ugly behavior. 

There is nothing about Molly that says "life of the party." She seems pretty nondescript, personality-wise, to be honest. Like if you were describing her you'd say "She's nice." Which is fine! Nice is better than mean! But I wouldn't use "bubbly" or "vivacious" or "loud and crazy" to describe her. Both Shawniece and Jackie have bigger personalities than she does. Either she's not very self-aware, she hangs out with pretty boring people, or she's toning it WAY down.

I agree with all of this! Although I feel like we don't see much of Jaclyn's personality either. We don't know anything about her other than her mourning her late boyfriend's death and that she seems pretty good at humoring Ryan's behavior. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, cardigirl said:

It's really painful to watch. Just give Shawniece all the goodies and kick Jepthe off the show right now.

I really agree with this.  I'm going to say something kind of controversial, but I base it on a book I read a few years ago, "Is Marriage For White People?" by Ralph Richard Banks.  The book was a bit controversial because of his conclusions.  

One of the points he made was that black men deal with mass incarceration and higher rates of unemployment than white men; he also said that black men date outside their race almost double of black women.  These things, Banks said put black men in a position where they're holding all the cards.  In other words, men like John and Ryan know they have to compete with many other white men; while someone like Jepthe knows that he doesn't have to compete with as many men for women (if we're talking about black women).  This is why I think Jepthe commented on "Unfiltered" that he thought he'd be paired off with some type of supermodel.  He probably thinks, "I'm a unicorn, I can get any woman I want."  This is NOT true of ALL black or white men, but when I read the book, it did make me think, especially when it comes you younger black men.  

I think the show should have paired Shawnice with an older man, not an OLD man, but a man say, in his thirties, a man who was SERIOUSLY ready to settle down.  Jepthe, I believe came on the show because he thought he'd be paired off with some IG model or "YouTube hottie."  I feel bad for Shawnice, because I think she's very attractive.  I wonder if they asked Jepthe who is his star crush, I wonder what he said.  I say that because I remember Vaughn, on season one said his crush was Paula Patton, which was probably a reason he wasn't into Monet.  When someone says something to you, you have to believe them.  

• Love 15
21 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I really agree with this.  I'm going to say something kind of controversial, but I base it on a book I read a few years ago, "Is Marriage For White People?" by Ralph Richard Banks.  The book was a bit controversial because of his conclusions.  

One of the points he made was that black men deal with mass incarceration and higher rates of unemployment than white men; he also said that black men date outside their race almost double of black women.  These things, Banks said put black men in a position where they're holding all the cards.  In other words, men like John and Ryan know they have to compete with many other white men; while someone like Jepthe knows that he doesn't have to compete with as many men for women (if we're talking about black women).  This is why I think Jepthe commented on "Unfiltered" that he thought he'd be paired off with some type of supermodel.  He probably thinks, "I'm a unicorn, I can get any woman I want."  This is NOT true of ALL black or white men, but when I read the book, it did make me think, especially when it comes you younger black men.  

I think the show should have paired Shawnice with an older man, not an OLD man, but a man say, in his thirties, a man who was SERIOUSLY ready to settle down.  Jepthe, I believe came on the show because he thought he'd be paired off with some IG model or "YouTube hottie."  I feel bad for Shawnice, because I think she's very attractive.  I wonder if they asked Jepthe who is his star crush, I wonder what he said.  I say that because I remember Vaughn, on season one said his crush was Paula Patton, which was probably a reason he wasn't into Monet.  When someone says something to you, you have to believe them.  

I think what you're saying makes sense. I read that OkCupid, the online dating website, had user data that showed that black women and Asian men were the least likely to hear back from people they expressed interest in while white men and Asian women were the most likely to hear back. There's definitely a marriage squeeze for black women, especially professionals. This show should be more willing to pair black women with non-black men, if the black women were open to that. I watched "The Bachelorette" last season when they had a black lead for the first time, Rachel Lindsay, a gorgeous lawyer, and when she picked a white Latino guy, a chiropractor, at the end, some people were very angry. Her last remaining black suitor was a personal trainer but why should a lawyer pick a personal trainer just because he's black? 

Jephte definitely thinks too highly of himself, thinking that he would be paired off with a Instagram model while making a teacher's salary. Shawniece is very attractive and I wonder if she expressed a preference for being paired with only black men. It sucks that the other guy they considered for her only wanted a Latina wife.

Edited by Gobears
  • Love 9

Although it was cute that the girls got together and spilled the tea, I thought "what if they go back and tell the husbands of the private conversations"?  Maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all.  Bet Ryan would just love to hear derogatory stuff about Jon.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I think the show finds it very difficult to find older, mature Black men willing to do this show.   Which is why we get Jephte and Nate from last season.    

Jephte is quite interesting if thinks he's deserving of an IG model.  I doubt he'd pull one in regular life.  He lacks the swag, confidence, and probably paycheck to pull that off.   And if he had watched any of the previous seasons, he would have known the women are generally regular girl pretty, but not IG models.   Shawnice is pretty a girl.  I'm thinking Jephte is just not into black women, but I could be wrong.  

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Gobears said:

I agree with all of this! Although I feel like we don't see much of Jaclyn's personality either. We don't know anything about her other than her mourning her late boyfriend's death and that she seems pretty good at humoring Ryan's behavior. 

Jackie comes across as warmer and funnier than Molly, IMO. She does things that are kind of silly, like that "write a word in the sand" game that I didn't understand, and she's a little more off the cuff. Like when Ryan asked her who was a better kisser, him or the dolphins, and she quipped "[The dolphins] were so soft!" I can't see Molly cracking a joke like that, you know? Even the way they carry themselves - Jackie is usually smiling (unless she's cringing at Ryan's foolishness) and Molly wears a more neutral expression. Molly doesn't have an unpleasant personality; she just ... doesn't seem to have much of a personality. Also, it's interesting that she claims to be the life of the party and wanted to be matched with a really outgoing guy who is "like her", and she was and now she doesn't like it. 

11 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I agree with this. Jephte is so clearly not ready to be married. He's not even interested in being married, in any real way. I bet $10 that if he HAD been matched with an IG model (whatever that means, there are lots of IG models with lots of different looks), he'd get divorced within a year because he has no idea what real marriage and commitment entails. An older guy who has had his fill of the scene would be a better match.

2 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

Although it was cute that the girls got together and spilled the tea, I thought "what if they go back and tell the husbands of the private conversations"?  Maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all.  Bet Ryan would just love to hear derogatory stuff about Jon.

I hope Jackie told Ryan that she confessed that they'd had sex!

• Love 10
40 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

he also said that black men date outside their race almost double of black women.

Did the book say why that's the case?  We've seen a lot of black dudes specifically say they didn't want to marry black women in the matchmaking specials. 

Edited by Jack Sampson
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Jackie comes across as warmer and funnier than Molly, IMO. She does things that are kind of silly, like that "write a word in the sand" game that I didn't understand, and she's a little more off the cuff. Like when Ryan asked her who was a better kisser, him or the dolphins, and she quipped "[The dolphins] were so soft!" I can't see Molly cracking a joke like that, you know? Even the way they carry themselves - Jackie is usually smiling (unless she's cringing at Ryan's foolishness) and Molly wears a more neutral expression. Molly doesn't have an unpleasant personality; she just ... doesn't seem to have much of a personality. Also, it's interesting that she claims to be the life of the party and wanted to be matched with a really outgoing guy who is "like her", and she was and now she doesn't like it. 

I agree with this. Jephte is so clearly not ready to be married. He's not even interested in being married, in any real way. I bet $10 that if he HAD been matched with an IG model (whatever that means, there are lots of IG models with lots of different looks), he'd get divorced within a year because he has no idea what real marriage and commitment entails. An older guy who has had his fill of the scene would be a better match.

I hope Jackie told Ryan that she confessed that they'd had sex!

Those are good points. However, I remember at Molly's bachelorette party, though, she was very receptive of the male stripper who was grinding in her face. I also noticed that after Jonathan did a handstand during paddleboarding, she imitated him. She also mentioned going to a performing arts high school and doing trapeze, tightrope, contortion, etc. Maybe she's more the life of the party after she's had a few drinks in her but she's avoided drinking on her honeymoon since she might not want to make a bad impression for her employer? But yeah, Jonathan's definitely more outgoing than her. And our perceptions of ourselves can definitely different be different than other's perceptions of us. 

You're right about the IG model thing. But those women have so many filters and layers of makeup on, so who knows what they really look like? Shawniece herself could be a IG model. Also, didn't they mention that their luggage was lost? So maybe Shawniece didn't have access to all of her makeup/hair products/etc. 

Edited by Gobears
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Gobears said:

Those are good points. However, I remember at Molly's bachelorette party, though, she was very receptive of the male stripper who was grinding in her face. I also noticed that after Jonathan did a handstand during paddleboarding, she imitated him. She also mentioned going to a performing arts high school and doing trapeze, tightrope, contortion, etc. Maybe she's more the life of the party after she's had a few drinks in her but she's avoided drinking on her honeymoon since she might not want to make a bad impression for her employer? But yeah, Jonathan's definitely more outgoing than her. And our perceptions of ourselves can definitely different be different than other's perceptions of us. 

You're right about the IG model thing. But those women have so many filters and layers of makeup on, so who know what they look like? Shawniece herself could be a IG model. Also, didn't they mention that their luggage was lost? So maybe Shawniece didn't have access to all of her makeup/hair products/etc. 

Shawnice stated exactly that in one of the extra segments.  They had lost their luggage and she has spent tons of time picking out outfits, makeup, and swim suits that would make her look awesome for her new husband.  They basically had to rely on the gift shop for their clothes and that is why they have all the Jamaica gear (as rightly guessed by this board).  As usual, she handled this setback with grace and a smile, when many other women would have had a meltdown.

That said I hate that she is in this situation.  I wish that the show would allow her to pull a Heather and bail.  I hated the way Jephte was acting when she was playfully trying to jump into his bed.  It was not like a guy trying to be respectful of a woman he did not want to lead on by being physically intimate...it was more like he was repulsed by her.

51 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Yes, it reminds me of Vaughn claiming his mother did all the housework, child rearing, and bread earning and he expected his wife would just worship the ground he walks on.  He was shocked when Monique brought up his lack of career stability and did not seem to want to wait on him hand and foot.  I am not saying that Monique was perfect, but his parent's marriage gave him some warped expectations of what was a husband's duty to his wife.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Gobears said:

You're right about the IG model thing. But those women have so many filters and layers of makeup on, so who knows what they really look like? Shawniece herself could be a IG model. Also, didn't they mention that their luggage was lost? So maybe Shawniece didn't have access to all of her makeup/hair products/etc. 

Yep. and you can tell they lost their luggage because they're wearing stuff from the hotel gift shop, LOL. Lots of gear with "Jamaica" written on it. I wonder if they ever got it back?

... Thinking about it now, I would be really bummed to be without my hair care products on a beach vacation, although odds are good that I could at least find some coconut oil in Jamaica!

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, PityFree said:

Are you kidding me??? The “experts” didn’t take into account the fact that Molly is allergic to cats???  Are they trying to set these people up for failure???

I could just see Molly at Jon's place carrying an inhaler around because of the cat.  This is a big deal.  Anyone knows this.  Guess experts don't care if she has to go to Emergency in the middle of the night.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

That said I hate that she is in this situation.  I wish that the show would allow her to pull a Heather and bail.  I hated the way Jephte was acting when she was playfully trying to jump into his bed.  It was not like a guy trying to be respectful of a woman he did not want to lead on by being physically intimate...it was more like he was repulsed by her.

Yes, it reminds me of Vaughn claiming his mother did all the housework, child rearing, and bread earning and he expected his wife would just worship the ground he walks on.  He was shocked when Monique brought up his lack of career stability and did not seem to want to wait on him hand and foot.  I am not saying that Monique was perfect, but his parent's marriage gave him some warped expectations of what was a husband's duty to his wife.

If they won't allow her to bail, then I wish she'd just start worrying about herself and letting Jephte do what Jephte does.  He's coming off as an ass, but she is looking desperate and pathetic, trying to climb into bed with a man who's practically wearing a garlic necklace and holding out a cross and holy water!

And in fairness to Vaughn, Monet had told the experts that she wanted a traditional marriage as well, and I believed learned from the "experiment" that that wasn't really what she wanted after all.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Why do they insist on marrying every single AA woman on this show to a younger man who's nowhere ready to get married and/or is expecting something else entirely? It has never worked and it never will. If they can't find any black men who are marriage material, then they should stop trying instead of recruiting random young guys from dating apps. It's so unfair! Shawniece might be a bit much at times, but she's clearly serious about this whole marriage thing and wants to make it work. Jephte seems to have no idea what he signed up for and has already given up. There's taking things slow and then there's trying to run away whenever your new wife comes anywhere near. No heterosexual man will act that way unless they have zero attraction to said woman. He's cute but hardly the big catch he seems to think he is, more like a wet noodle. I so don't want to watch another 10 episodes of Jephte trying to avoid Shawniece like the plague.

I also felt really bad for Jon during that call with the "expert". He can act a bit immature, but calling him a man child out of the blue was so mean! I'd have a hard time trusting someone who throws me under the bus the first chance they get. Molly really needs to work on her posture.

Ryan is such an obnoxious dork. I can't for the life of me see him as attractive, not one bit. He gets worse every episode. Props to Jackie for being so tolerant and positive about the whole thing. And he was such a d!ck to Jon with the whole "You're still unemployed? I've never been unemployed". I'm sure Jackie will get sick of him soon enough. Not that she should be on this show either, since she's clearly still in mourning. I think she probably just finds the idea of starting from scratch too daunting at this point, so she thought she'd skip all that and get an insta-husband. I guess it's a nice distraction but so unlikely to work out.

I'm finding it hard to root for any of the couples this season.

Edited by MsPH
  • Love 18

Jaclyn poker face is weak.

Molly: so none of us have had sex yet?

Jackyn: tee-hee-hee *downward look* *blush* You see, I'm very affectionate sooooo....

Then as Ryan is serving her some corn with a side of cheese her facial expressions were revealing her annoyance.

Ryan is a try-hard. He'd annoy me too.

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I hated how Ryan treated those guys in the Jamaican market.  What a loud, obnoxious douche, very condescending.

I hated how he was haggling with them over the tip. He was bragging about how many revenue streams he had in the first episode and now he's trying to stiff people of a few dollars? The caricature of the ugly American abroad. 

• Love 22

I don't buy that Jon is that much of a man-child.  He can be a jokester but it is even obvious to me on the other side of a TV screen that he has a serious side too so WTF is Molly on about?  Can't she read a guy?  And there are ways to get a guy to be serious without keeping it to yourself then hitting him below the belt with how you don't feel like sleeping with a "12 year old" in front of the expert.  He took it surprisingly well and seems to want to show more of his serious side to Molly, which is a testament to his maturity and how much he likes her.  Too bad at this point I don't think she's worth it!

And I don't think she's as into adventure or as outgoing as she thinks she is.  She thinks she is the life of the party but she just sucks the energy out of a room.  She is far more reserved with her emotions than she should be for someone that is supposedly so "fun loving".  Her walls are so far up with Jon that she comes off like a prude.  She says she is usually the most outgoing and adventurous of all her friends.  They must be the quietest, most cautious people out there if that's the case!  She complains about how Jon is all action all the time - Number 1:  You're on your freaking HONEYMOON, what do you expect him to do?  Crawl into bed and read poetry all day?  And Number 2:  You ASKED for a guy like that.  Note to Molly:  Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, Gobears said:

She said that Jonathan is so outgoing that it makes her look introverted by comparison.  I don't think that's really what it is.  I think he intimidates her and she is afraid of him as well as being exposed to everyone on TV, so she is editing out a lot of her personality.  Even so I would still find it hard to believe she is really all that outgoing.  Unlike her, I can read people better than that, lol.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, After7Only said:

Jephte is quite interesting if thinks he's deserving of an IG model.  I doubt he'd pull one in regular life.  He lacks the swag, confidence, and probably paycheck to pull that off.   And if he had watched any of the previous seasons, he would have known the women are generally regular girl pretty, but not IG models.   Shawnice is pretty a girl.  I'm thinking Jephte is just not into black women, but I could be wrong.  

Jephte even admitted on "Unfiltered" that his expectations regarding appearance and marriage in general were unrealistic.  I agree with other comments that it's like they picked this guy randomly just because he was willing to do the show.  Of course he didn't know what he was getting into!  Otherwise maybe he might have declined!

When he said that he went on the show because "what he was doing wasn't working", I said "Yeah, and it's not working NOW either!"

I couldn't get over Pastor Cal's expressions on "Unfiltered" when Jephte was revealing himself to be totally unprepared for/unrealistic about marriage and completely checked out of his relationship with Sahwniece..  Cal almost rolled his eyes at one point and shot him some incredulous glances.  You mean to tell me he didn't realize this BEFORE he matched the guy?  And why the high five at tend?  Like that was a sign of "bros before ho's" or something?  This Pastor Cal guy is another ass and he is responsible for this bad match, so his flippant attitude is particularly disrespectful to Shawniece!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Blissfool said:

Jaclyn poker face is weak.

Molly: so none of us have had sex yet?

Jackyn: tee-hee-hee *downward look* *blush* You see, I'm very affectionate sooooo....

Then as Ryan is serving her some corn with a side of cheese her facial expressions were revealing her annoyance.

Ryan is a try-hard. He'd annoy me too.

Jaclyn having sex with Ryan so soon screams "rebound" to me in big neon lights.  When she wakes up out of that fog and acknowledges her annoyance with him it's going to be a big let down for her.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Gobears said:

Jephte definitely thinks too highly of himself, thinking that he would be paired off with a Instagram model while making a teacher's salary.  ...

Interesting that all of the men seem to think they're quite something. Initial reaction to Jon was that he was arrogant and ok with putting down others to appear grand. It was also annoying that he acted like he hit the lottery just because he thinks Molly's beautiful, as if that's all that mattered to him.

Jeph seems delusional. I agree with all who have said he doesn't have enough going on to merit Rihanna or whatever he thought he was getting. He's also stuck somewhere between Mommy's World and the real world. Makes me nuts.  

Then there's Ryan, the Dash Riprock of the group. The talkative termite seems to think he has some kind of swag or something.  I don't get it, and between his obnoxious behavior at the market and re-reciting his memorized wedding vows, I wanted to stick a fork in his head.  I also can't stand when he gives the others advice.

These guys aren't like the Ryans of the past who were pretty awful people but they certainly seem to think they've got it going on.  :::shudders:::  

I'm curious to see what becomes of these people.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, qtpye said:

To be fair, that's what he stated to the experts, and Monet wasn't totally honest with herself about what she thought she wanted from marriage as well. 

4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I don't buy that Jon is that much of a man-child.  He can be a jokester but it is even obvious to me on the other side of a TV screen that he has a serious side too so WTF is Molly on about?  Can't she read a guy?  And there are ways to get a guy to be serious without keeping it to yourself then hitting him below the belt with how you don't feel like sleeping with a "12 year old" in front of the expert.  He took it surprisingly well and seems to want to show more of his serious side to Molly, which is a testament to his maturity and how much he likes her.  Too bad at this point I don't think she's worth it!

And I don't think she's as into adventure or as outgoing as she thinks she is.  She thinks she is the life of the party but she just sucks the energy out of a room.  She is far more reserved with her emotions than she should be for someone that is supposedly so "fun loving".  Her walls are so far up with Jon that she comes off like a prude.  She says she is usually the most outgoing and adventurous of all her friends.  They must be the quietest, most cautious people out there if that's the case!  She complains about how Jon is all action all the time - Number 1:  You're on your freaking HONEYMOON, what do you expect him to do?  Crawl into bed and read poetry all day?  And Number 2:  You ASKED for a guy like that.  Note to Molly:  Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it!

Molly comes off to me as someone who is very self-conscious in front of the cameras and is kind of putting on a fake front for the TVs. Kind of like lookng good on TV is her number 1 priority. She is not great at the acting, for example, her wake up scenes: pretending to sleep very obviously, eyes with perfectly applied mascara suddenly wide open, exclaiming in a flat tone, "UGH I'm only getting out of bed to see the view." Also, she constantly has a nervous giggle at just about anything that Jon says. By the way, Jon is the type of guy who thinks anything he says is witty and hilarious, he probably busts out the "That;s what she said" kind of jokes. 

I dont care too much for Jaclyn either, but she comes off as more real and less self-consious. The scenes with her and Ryan are more fluid and to me, a lot less awkward than Jon/Molly, even when Ryan rambles. 

Shawniece needed a totally different type of guy, one that this show couldn't provide for her. Jephte's mother needs to teach her son how to treat women respectfully, and just because he is not attracted to her, (he doesnt have to be attracted to her, thats his own right) he should still treat her with kindness and friendship. The way he said "Get outta my bed, bro!" was horrible. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Lily247 said:

Molly comes off to me as someone who is very self-conscious in front of the cameras and is kind of putting on a fake front for the TVs. Kind of like lookng good on TV is her number 1 priority. She is not great at the acting, for example, her wake up scenes: pretending to sleep very obviously, eyes with perfectly applied mascara suddenly wide open, exclaiming in a flat tone, "UGH I'm only getting out of bed to see the view." Also, she constantly has a nervous giggle at just about anything that Jon says. By the way, Jon is the type of guy who thinks anything he says is witty and hilarious, he probably busts out the "That;s what she said" kind of jokes. 

Yup, and like I said later I think she is editing herself right out of a personality out of intimidation and as you say, self consciousness.  Although some of that pretending to sleep in full makeup BS is encouraged by production I am sure.  It's just more obvious with her because like you say, she's a really bad actress.  But if that's the case then why act so bewildered at seeming so reserved and not owning up to being nervous, etc.?  She is making excuses for her stick in the mud image.  Although you never know what she might have said to the camera that never got put on the show.

I agree with a previous poster that Jon is managing his insecurity with humor, and this is a situation that would cause a lot of insecurity so he is going a bit overboard with it.  I don't think that's his normal way of being any more than Molly's normal way of being is to come off like a piece of cardboard.  Hopefully in time these two can work all of that out.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

The 2 Unfiltered shows have been better this year, maybe because JO is not hogging the whole conversation with her ! ME TOO! insights but letting the cast member and so called expert talk...some.

They must be medicating her with better drugs...

Seems you have to record them every Tuesday on your DVR since they aren't available On Demand.

Jon and Jephte gave good TV on their Unfiltered episodes.

I finally watched Jephte's Unfiltered, and I don't dislike him as much.  Agreed that this version of Unfiltered seems to offer more to the viewers about what is going on behind the scenes. Also Pastor Cal, I loved watching him shaking his head over Jephte's choices on some of his behavior.  

14 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I think the show should have paired Shawnice with an older man, not an OLD man, but a man say, in his thirties, a man who was SERIOUSLY ready to settle down

Thais is what infuriates me about this show. They need to stop with the 20 somethings who really just want to be on TV and focus on people in their mid to late 30's who have really been out there living life and haven't had success with a lasting relationship for whatever reason and as you said are seriously ready to settle down.  Do they think the viewers don't want to see "older" people? I just don't get it.  

• Love 18

I wonder how Jepthe would have responded to a lap dance from his IG model dream girl. I'm still boggling over that. What do you bring to the table, Jep? Hint, its not your stellar good looks (though he is nice looking, he's nothing special), its not your scintillating intellect or quick wit or conversational skills or your kind heart, generous spirit or warm friendliness. You do not win a woman who is way out of your league looks-wise unless you have something to offer. Your overweening sense of your own awesomeness and your questionable social skills won't cut it.

He makes me sick and I just want to grab Shawniece and give her a hug.

• Love 21

I want to jump into the screen and tell Shawniece to dry her tears and use her time on the basic cable show to push her wig line, her winning personality and stop crying over Jephte...he  has absolutely friendzoned her... hoping both of them can coast to the Decision Show and the end of the contract with dignity.

To Jon... have Dawn sleep on Molly's pillow and eventually you will get your bed back... Molly can sleep in the second bedroom...Sonya style.

Molly stabbed you in the back, purposefully embarrassed you with a blindside...unforgivable because while you thought you were funny and charming,  she was equating your playfulness to an annoying preteen boy.

If she does not apologize to you then...

She doesn't deserve the extra fancy expensive apartment...just spend the show budget...don't waste$$ from your dwindling bank account.

Aren't you glad you didn't spend more on her ring?

If you try to win her affections by giving everything she wants... then you are a putz.

Jackie's vulnerability will just be painful to watch since Ryan is coming off as insincere and emotionally tone deaf.

Stirring up Ryan's insecurities will not be pretty as he overcompensates with confrontations demanding Jackie make promises to move on from Nick, the DeadEx.

She will get no help from the so called experts...

Dr. Jessica is shown in a tease calling Jackie a liar, Pastor Cal always takes the groom's side, blaming the bride for any discord and Dr. Pepper has no role except to mismatch couples.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

You are right on all points.  I couldn't have said it better.  Unfortunately, Jon is enamored with Molly's looks and figure.  I hope hearing that conversation with the therapist gave him some insight on how Molly really is (not as nice as she appears).  She thinks very highly of herself and has started to put him down just because he loves to have fun.  I know guys that are older than him who are like Jon.  They love Disney, rides, some have Star Wars figures and stuff .. All fun things.  What's wrong with that?  He acts like a 12 year old, but he served our country, didn't he?  He's a mans man and has a good and fun heart.  Molly is a WET BLANKET.  

• Love 5

In theory I had no problem with Molly waiting to say the 12 year old comment when they were with the therapist, they have just met and arent used to having such conversations, I just thought the therapist was really bad at fascilitating that conversation.

• Love 3