Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Alicia's Story LIVE CHAT

• Start Topic

Are there seriously no other doctors who do what Dr. Now does?  Because Madison is right across the river from St. Louis, and only a few hours from Chicago.  Seems those would be much easier trips for her.

I recognized the brand of the protein shake. 1. There are much tastier ones out there. 2. Almond milk with chocolate usually combines better. 3. It looked like she was using far more than 1 serving worth of powder.

Usually they dont talk about how hard that first month is, going from eating boxes of donuts to 1200 calories. They never mention it, they just do it, so I was pleased that she talked about how hard it was. I know it's hard but they always gloss over that and just show up at the first appointment having lost the weight.  Or not.

• Love 1

I really don’t know what Dr. Now thinks Tim can do. The man has got a job. He is not enabling her the way a lot of these partners have done.

2 minutes ago, Miracle Maxie said:

400 calories a day? That’s going to shut down her metabolism. 

2 minutes ago, Carrie said:

It is rather ridiculous that Dr. Now expects people with life-long eating disorders to - on their own with no support - reduce their calorie intake to 600 calories a day.

I must have missed something - she only loses 18 lbs and he wants her to go down to 600 calories?? I agree that's awfully low not to be supervised.

Whoops, never mind.

Edited by aliya
Just now, Kid said:

I really don’t know what Dr. Now thinks Tim can do. The man has got a job. He is not enabling her the way a lot of these partners have done.

Yes. Maybe there's some edited-out stuff we're not seeing? Because he seems to just go to work and come home. He's not stuffing doughnuts down her throat.

I just got home and missed the first part of the show and the first few pages of this chat. Good grief, at least this woman can walk. And wears shoes. And a dress with some style. As @MrsRopersCaftan noted, the denial is strong, but like @JudgeyMcJudgyPants I'm rooting for her. I mean, after whatshername last week who whimpered and moaned and bitched and cried about even standing up, this is a lot closer to normal. 

Edited by Jeeves
4 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

Are there seriously no other doctors who do what Dr. Now does?  Because Madison is right across the river from St. Louis, and only a few hours from Chicago.  Seems those would be much easier trips for her.

784 miles 12 hours with no food stops.  That will definitely happen....she needs to take breaks don't ya know

5 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

Plenty of other docs... just none of them with TLC picking up the tab.

• Love 1
Just now, Kid said:

Let's face it - this show simplifies the complexities of these people's lifestyle and relationship disfunctions.

3 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

I don't know what the arrangement actually is but someone -- TLC or Dr. Now is paying.  Otherwise how can they just move to Houston, rent an apartment, etc, not to mention the cost of all the hospitalization and therapy he orders - which I doubt is covered by their insurance.  

• Love 1

Dr. Now has no one to yell at and he doesn't know what to do. He is saying what he usually says with the regular enablers. Maybe he thinks she is covering for him and he is just covering his bases

1 minute ago, Azubah said:

Yes. Maybe there's some edited-out stuff we're not seeing? Because he seems to just go to work and come home. He's not stuffing doughnuts down her throat.

This totally made me think of the Family Guy episode where Peter tries to shove like a quarter of a watermelon down Lois’ throat as part of some sexy date night shenanigans.

Just now, Donut Bear said:

I don't know what the arrangement actually is but someone -- TLC or Dr. Now is paying.  Otherwise how can they just move to Houston, rent an apartment, etc, not to mention the cost of all the hospitalization and therapy he orders - which I doubt is covered by their insurance.  

I think Johnathan Nowzardan(Dr. Now's son) produces the show for TLC, I've seen his name at the end credits.....keeping in the family don't you know!

1 minute ago, Donut Bear said:

Every season we talk about this and I guess TLC pays these patents a ridiculously small amount - $2000 or thereabouts - on top of free surgery.

Things I'll give her credit for:

Takes a shower alone and (presumably) uses a toilet

Boyfriend seems supportive

Wears clothes and shoes

From her life, I can see why she would gain so much weight with everything that happened.  But she doesn't seem like a bullshit artist to me.  Maybe because she isn't a whiner.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ThisGirlAsh said:

Wears clothes and shoes

From her life, I can see why she would gain so much weight with everything that happened.  But she doesn't seem like a bullshit artist to me.  Maybe because she isn't a whiner.

And a bra!

When he gives the patients these extremely low diets, I wonder if he's factoring in their cheat factor. She was probably still consuming 6000 a day according to Dr. Now and was supposed to be at 1200. So perhaps when given the 600 calorie diet, he knows she'll end up at 3000?

Or she could stop drinking multiple servings of the protein shakes at a time. The body can only really process about 30 g of protein at a time. The excess is stored as fat. A serving of that shake is close to 30.

Can we introduce her to Whitney purely so that she can show her that one can wear actual clothing and bras all the time?

2 minutes ago, ThisGirlAsh said:

Wears clothes and shoes

And she drives herself....

Mr. Judgey-“the reality that I’m fat finally set in.”  Then there was an audible snortle when she was talking about them driving separate because Tim will need a car for his job.  

Ok, not his best but I said I would post his snarky comments.  He’s not as nice as I am. ?

Edited by JudgeyMcJudgyPants

I was actually surprised she caved so hard to her cravings, as she's much more mobile and less angry than many of the other participants. Maybe there's some issues behind the scenes, but she's definitely getting a positive edit, so I'm confident she will end up having lost several hundred pounds. The music alone seems to indicate a happy ending.

I know several people who have had WLS and they all had to go through about a year of mental and physical evaluations and weight loss goals before they would be approved for surgery.

WHY ISN’T DR. NOW ADDRESSING THEIR MENTAL ISSUES???

It seems irresponsible and unethical to only treat the physical part of their problem and not the mental and emotional component. Every. Single. Person. on this show has past trauma that has led to them being 600+ pounds. And I’m not talking one session with Dr. Baby Voice, either. I’m talking intense therapy.