Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Alicia's Story LIVE CHAT

• Start Topic

Just now, poeticlicensed said:

I bought a Fitbit and I love it. It reminds me to get up and move. 10000 steps before I can have a glass of wine.

Mr. Judgey bought me a Fitbit a couple of years ago for Christmas.  Really made me realize how much I wasn’t moving.  Since then, I’ve lost 20 lbs and try to get between 15,000-20,000 steps a day.

1 minute ago, PeaceLily2 said:

Mom did the best she could.  

And mothers do get invested in looking like good mothers. It's human nature. People always want mothers to be perfect saints. 

Just now, PeaceLily2 said:

I think this is unfair to the mom.  Sounds like she did the best she could.  Ugh

She could have done her best but it could still have been very harmful to Alicia. When all you hear is “you’d be so pretty if you just lost the weight “ it can feel like your parent’s love and approval is completely conditional on you losing weight and fitting your parent’s view of perfection. (Yeah, ask me how I know. )

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

wouldn't it have been easier to Skype?

Well, where would be the JOURNEY in THAT?!

I missed the first 50 minutes of this show (likely missing nothing though) but is Tim her boyfriend or her found-on-Craigslist caretaker? 

1 minute ago, JudgeyMcJudgyPants said:

Mr. Judgey bought me a Fitbit a couple of years ago for Christmas.  Really made me realize how much I wasn’t moving.  Since then, I’ve lost 20 lbs and try to get between 15,000-20,000 steps a day.

Congrats!!!! I think I'm going to get one for myself - I need to walk a bit more, especially before Spring gets here!  Motivation!!!

Just now, Miracle Maxie said:

She could have done her best but it could still have been very harmful to Alicia. When all you hear is “you’d be so pretty if you just lost the weight “ it can feel like your parent’s love and approval is completely conditional on you losing weight and fitting your parent’s view of perfection. (Yeah, ask me how I know. )

Yes, this.  We don't know if Mom did the best she could, honestly.  And even if she did, it could still be harmful.  I thought her mom took that talk well, though.  My mom certainly wouldn't have handled that so well.

1 minute ago, JudgeyMcJudgyPants said:

Good for you!  That's a lot of steps!  Walking an hour around my condo complex - or 45 minutes on the eliptical at the gym - is not even 5000 steps.  Well done! 

4 minutes ago, JudgeyMcJudgyPants said:

Love my Fitbit! 

2 minutes ago, Standard Staples said:

The producers will counter-program this boring, drama free episode with the latest "owwhh mah legs!" patient next week. I'm sure of it.

Fingers crossed....this one is dull.....

2 minutes ago, AnnaBaptist said:

Did you know that she is nervous to step on the scale today? She is a nice person, so I shouldn't snark on her, but she is very repetitious.

Ha ha ha.

Just now, 88Keys said:

My mom certainly wouldn't have handled that so well.

Never had the chance to find out how my mother would have handled it. I suspect there would have been a lot of denial. 

Damnit, I thought it was going to be last week’s show that pushed these buttons. 

Just now, Miracle Maxie said:

Never had the chance to find out how my mother would have handled it. I suspect there would have been a lot of denial. 

Damnit, I thought it was going to be last week’s show that pushed these buttons. 

To be clear, my mom was and is great.  But she is not good at taking criticism.  

• Love 1
Just now, Carrie said:

She's got a long way to go... She doesn't look much different to me. Sorry.

I hate to say it, but I was thinking the same thing.  She still seems really big, although she's obviously more mobile now.

Oh, good. Not so snarkworthy but I'm happy at the end of this episode. She looks so much bettter with the 150+ (i lost track of the #s) pound loss, including in her face. Good for her.

Edited by Jeeves
2 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

Her feet make me so uncomfortable.  It's like she's walking on the sides of them.  

I work with a very large (OK, obese woman) she wears the same shoes everyday, they are blown out like Alicia's.  We pitched in and gave her a gift certificate for DSW, but she still wears those same blow out shoes.  Must be comfortable but I wouldn't think so.

I see a difference in her face in particular. Maybe not so much the rest of her, but as noted she's short and has some serious extra skin hanging on there which I assume is why Dr. Now's talking about skin removal at that point.