Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef in the Media

Bella
  • Start Topic

I don't know which WF to stake out in SF! Though the first season when they filmed here thrusting have the WF deal and shopped at Berkeley Bowl (and randomly a store a block and a half from me!

Interesting that they are starting in San Francisco and going all over the state , but no mention of nearby Napa Valley.

I'm vaguely remembering that they were in the Napa Valley on one of Antonia's seasons. I think they cooked for Michael Chiarello on a train and the prize was a car?

I don't know how old it was but I saw Ariane from the NYC season on Family Feud today.  I think the last season for FF was in 2013 so the episode is probably at least 2 years old.  They won the game but didn't do very well in the money round.  Ariane was one of the 2 that played and they asked "From 1 to 10, how much do you like your job" and she shouts out 75!!  LoL.  I wonder if they were trying to win money for their restaurants or just thought it would be fun.

We lost someone very special in the food world tonight. He had just posted yesterday afternoon from Chicago, asking for suggestions for restaurants. He was there for the James Beard awards tonight. Another friend I met via Facebook who I'll miss. Founder of Meatopia and Grub Street.... I just can't believe it. I know he appeared on TC as either a judge or a dinner guest.

http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/index.ssf/2015/05/food_writer_joshua_ozersky_a_p.html

John was really, really torn up about his death. You could tell in the posts he made on FB that he was crushed. So was Scott Conant.

Reading that article about TC, Josh could have been writing it about Blais. He hit the nail on the head with his assertion that some chefs are just in it for the fame and money.

I have missed you friends something awful and am glad to be back here with you, enjoying your words of wisdom!  Sitting here at my desk in the San Francisco Bay Area, I feel pangs of guilt for those members who were hoping to see "Top Chef" in their own cities.  (Tom did mention that other places are on the itinerary, so I'd think that Napa would be one of them.)   I'm counting on fair play, though, and hoping that he'll take the show to Atlanta and to Portland, OR, both of which have become food meccas.  My other hoped-for locale is Asheville, NC, a smaller city with an impressive number of outstanding food destinations within its borders.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

• Love 1

I'd love if they came to Asheville, just down the road and over the hill from me. There are indeed some great restaurants there, and a lot of great places they could send them to cook. Biltmore House, Grove Park Inn, do a Thomas Wolfe dinner, feed a bunch of the kayakers who are on the nearby Nantahala River year-round.

Lura, you should be happy and proud they are headed your way. Please keep us posted if you see or hear anything! :)

• Love 3

I'll do that, cooksdelight. 

Biakbiak, if you hear anything, will you let me know?  I'll do the same for you.  I would LOVE to see the gang coming or going anywhere!  It would be fun to see a challenge, like this past season had onlookers at the Battle of Lexington and Concord. 

(edited)

We were watching the Top Chef Boston over again the other night.  If you remember, they had one show on which the contestants made chowder for Jasper White.  My husband is Mr. Perceptive.  He said, "Hey, look!  Did you see all the people in the next room?"  I didn't know what he was talking about, especially since we've watched this series twice before, and I hadn't seen anything.  He rolled the recorder back, and lo and behold, as the camera quickly panned around the kitchen, for a split second you could see an open door leading from the kitchen to another room, and people were in there, eating chow-dah!  I caught a glimpse of one of the contestants among them -- maybe Gregory -- happily eating while the show was being taped.  It made me wonder how many other things are going on, just on the periphery of the camera lens, but we never see them.

Nothing listed under casting calls yet.  Tom said on the Boston show that they put a tweet up at Twitter for people who wanted to come to the show (and eat), and they had 75,000 responses!  They were only able to take I think 250.  So, I think that watching Twitter would be a good idea.

Edited by Lura

I found out something interesting from a former cheftestant. They aren't compensated AT ALL to appear on the show. No pay, nothing. You get nothing for coming in second. It's winner take all. It might explain why many chefs turn it down. You get the offer of national TV exposure, but if you're edited badly...will people come to the restaurant where you cook when it's over? They said that people like Blais and Spike went for the TV exposure and stopped cooking when it was over. They wanted the attention and to be on other shows.

• Love 1
(edited)

This is from a few weeks ago, but Michael Voltaggio was on the Girl on Guy podcast with Aisha Tyler.  I am one of the few who actually preferred Michael to his brother, so I found it to be an enjoyable interview, but I think regardless, it's pretty interesting.  It talks mostly about his career, with a few bits about Top Chef and his experience on the show thrown in.  He also talks a little bit about the new show he has on the Travel Channel.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 2

I just saw a special on TLC about Stacy London of "What Not to Wear" and "Love, Lust or run" where she was shopping in "Top Shop" in Manhattan with "one of her best friends" who she identified as just "Kristen", but I recognized as Kristen Kish, winner of Top Chef a few seasons ago.  I almost fell over as those are two people I never would have expected to see together on screen let alone be BFFs.  Then again, Stacy doesn't cook and she also counts Rocco DiSpirito as one of her friends.  He was also on the show and said something about cooking for Stacy "every day".  Plus she admittedly eats a paleo diet so I suppose someone has to be cooking for her.  Huh.

• Love 1

Canlis which hosted a challenge on Top Chef Seattle is located near the location of the bus accident in Seattle, it's staff rushed to the scene to assist and cancelled dinner service to serve first responders:

After staffers from the renowned Canlis ran out onto the bridge to help immediately after the accident, the restaurant canceled dinner service and opened its doors to first-responders.

“We’re just a good spot for a cup of coffee and a restroom and lunch,” said co-owner Mark Canlis. “It’s pretty much the natural thing to do. Chef just made some sandwiches for those who are kind of just wandering in. We’re taking care of them the best we can.”

Chef Brady Williams added, “We’re hosting the police and firefighters, and doing whatever we can do.”

It’s Canlis’ first unplanned closure since opening in 1950. The restaurant, located just off the south end of the Aurora Bridge, is considered among the best in Seattle.

• Love 5