Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef in the Media

Bella
  • Start Topic

This is the place for press releases, etc.

Do not put spoilers on upcoming seasons here.*

*Location and contestant info revealed by the show and/or by Bravo are not considered spoilers. Otherwise, we have a spoiler thread and spoiler tags. If in doubt, please err on the side of hiding, in order to protect the spoiler-averse. 

I'm actually surprised we don't hear about this kind of thing more often - not sloppy drunk, but a bit over the limit. It's still wrong, it just seems like a potential occupational hazard.

I think I might wait to find some information about this story that isn't sourced from a Deadline Hollywood scoop entirely based on "anonymous crew members." I think if this incident took place the way they described, the Boston cops would have done something about it in the two months since, what with the terrorist menacing of the pretty lady and the dozens of slashed tires.

Edited by Julia

i asked a friend of mine who's a police officer in Boston, he hasn't heard a thing about it. Didn't even know they had been filming, as he'd be notified if streets needed to be blocked off or whatever. Sounds like someone trying to get hype going for the show before it airs, to me.

I was in Boston in May during the filming and actually walked past them filming - on the other side of the street, but I could still see enough to know it was Top Chef, and later had confirmed that that was indeed what I saw.

It was remarkably placid. This story sounds like it was completely made up. If it were true, it would have surfaced long before now.

I agree.  If it were from a reputable journalist, rather than one who hates anything liberal (and sees unions as such, even though there are plenty of conservatives who are Teamsters), then it would be a story.  I think they're just trying to get some attention.

There's also the Friday release date. Stories with shaky support frequently get released on Friday because it's unlikely anyone will see the pushback before Monday.

Edited by Julia

I'm interested that Colicchio will be working for Gordon Ramsay's One Potato Two Potato on the new show. Regular judges Eric Ripert, José Andres, Jacques Pepin and Anthony Bourdain most likely won't be too thrilled about that.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

I'm interested that Colicchio will be working for Gordon Ramsay's One Potato Two Potato on the new show. Regular judges Eric Ripert, José Andres, Jacques Pepin and Anthony Bourdain most likely won't be too thrilled about that.

Ugh, if Gordon Ramsay is producing the show, it's going to have a lot of bullshit editing, stupid challenges, repetitive scenes, & be more reality show than restaurant show. I guess standards in the celebrity chef world aren't that high anymore.

• Love 1

For all Bourdain's self-absorbed pomposity, I suspect that smoked famewhore is probably more jealous at Colicchio expanding into another production than outraged.  Bourdain has yet to meet a camera he isn't desperate to dry hump.

All that and I agree with you GaT.

I adore Anthony Bourdain!  He is crusty, his humor is edgy and his hate for vegetarian cuisine is fun to watch.  

I like the idea of the new show and I don't think it means the death of Top Chef, at all.  There is plenty of time in a year to host two.  Any chef who has a foot in the TV door is going to ride that wave as long as they can.  And why not?  

I also like Gordon Ramsey.  Masterchef is an excellent show.  I don't watch Hell's Kitchen and have no clue why that is still popular or why Gordon agreed to play the angry chef.  

I see no reason that Tom going with his production company would produce anything less than a good  show. 

• Love 1

Ed Lee is the featured host of this season's PBS show Mind of a Chef, narrated and produced by Anthony Bourdain. Began as an offshoot of David Chang and his failed iPhone app for Lucky Peach but each season features a new chef traveling, cooking, meeting other chefs, and talking about food. It's a fabulous show and if you haven't seen it you should also definitely check out the first season which featured David Chang.

What he didn't mention was that those chefs who made him omelets were competing for their jackets, and he did send some of them home. I think maybe he needs to be a little politer to the nice people who are trying to make him look as if he's someone more current than a man with canned food, mall pizza and a popular catering hall.

• Love 2

Interesting.... he's been there three years, has 7 left on the lease and he's trying to get someone to take him out of the lease obligation. He must not have been making much at that location at all, or he was spending all his time and resources getting The Spence off the ground. And he's moved San Diego with a new restaurant there, so sounds like he's given the burgers the flip.

It must be hard being married to a guy who's never home.

It's hard to tell. Why would he sell a fairly new building? Or is he just trying to get the lease unloaded to someone else? Will it stay Flip Burger or is it able to be converted to something else? I've never had a clear understanding of how strip shopping center locations work. Does one company own the land and lease the building space?

That Flip is the location my son worked. They had just finished renovating the whole building in May and added an awesome roof-top patio. It's not in a strip mall, it's a stand alone building. Blais never appeared there in the year my son worked there, but his wife and children came in occasionally. Basically it was known that Blais was credited with creating the menu, then had nothing else to do with any of it.

• Love 1

Thank you for the inside info, I always appreciate it when someone who's been to a place can tell us more about it. I mistook it for being in a strip mall due to the mention of Publix. Sorry. So, it sounds like Blais is just opening restaurants, creating menus, then going off to do TV shows.

• Love 1

I believe in everything I ever read about Flip burger, Blais was listed simply as the consulting chef with profit-sharing not the main owner. Also, for what it's worth I know a few people who work at a different Flip Burger and Blais was there often before he started on opening The Spence over a year ago. The two times I ate there he was also there. 

Edited by biakbiak

During the time of the major renovations of the Poncy Flip location, when it was converted from HD1 (his hot dog place), my son worked at the Buckhead Flip, but Blais never appeared there, either. Glad to hear he's shown up in other of his places. We've eaten at both of these locations several times, but never saw him (which is fine with me). I realize he isn't the main owner of the Flip franchise though. It seems he is much more focused on being on tv than anything else these days. There is such a thing as over-saturation, and he's past that point with me.

Edited by Macthekat

I don't think they ever conveyed that it was his, they listed it under his name just like they did with Woodfire Grill for Kevin, and many other chefs, even though Kevin didn't own or was even the first chef at Woodfire Grill.

Edited by biakbiak

You can also easily see who submitted the thing, the citation is to Flip's website which describes him as Flip's "Creative DIrector," though clearly the owners of Flip want people to make the Blais connection because he has his own page. 

Edited by biakbiak

Julia, that's exactly what it is. The owner is selling the building. Nothing was said abt Flip Burger being for sale. Quite often, buildings are owned by a separate entity, and businesses lease out of them. Also, the owner of Flip , might be the same. Sometimes an owner will sell the building to increase his bottom cash line on accounting & decrease his liability. Gives them more leverage, esp if they need the cash or want to approach a bank.

I just came in the bedroom and saw Tom on a show. It is PBS Finding your roots with Henry someone or other. He is going back in his family tree. It is repeating here (NC) again at 1 or 2 am on the UNC PBS station. I think it would be interesting to see Tom out of chef mode.

eta Finding your roots with Henry Louis Gates Jr is the name of the show.

We have a forum for it. Tom, Aaron Sanchez from Chopped, and another famous chef all on the same episode.