Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef in the Media

Bella
  • Start Topic

In response to the TS Bonnie questions:  The Charleston metro got about 3-4 inches of rain over several days.  Remarkably, because usually it's a disaster if someone spits, the downtown area reported very little in the way of flooding.  The awful flooding you may have seen in the media, including the closure of Interstate 95 for about 18 hours, occurred in Jasper County about a 90 minute drive away from the city.  I'm betting that filming was virtually unaffected.

Moving on, Charleston City Paper has an amusing, redacted article about Top Chef filming.  There are no spoilers whatsoever about the upcoming season; indeed there's nothing concrete about the upcoming season as CCP is under a gag order of sorts!  However, if you're familiar with the city at all, you'll enjoy reading about where Tom and Gail have been eating and hanging out.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/Eat/archives/2016/06/01/a-redacted-interview-with-top-chefs-tom-colicchio-and-gail-simmons

• Love 2
(edited)

Will we be subjected to as much Whole Foods product placement in coming seasons?  Whole Foods gets warning letter from FDA

It appears FDA inspectors identified several health/safety violations related to food products and food prep areas. Whole Foods responded by letter to the FDA about it, but the FDA wasn't very happy with their response. And their stock price has fallen even more since the FDA sent their response to the response.

(this may well be in the wrong place, and if so I am sorry)

Edited by JeanneH
3 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Does anyone know if you can order the upcoming season Top Chef on Hulu or Netflix or something similar? I don't have cable anymore. Please only tell me of valid methods - thanks!

I watched Season 13 on Amazon.  It was $1.99 per episode or a season pass for $24.99 which ended up being a bit cheaper.  High Definition was more expensive.  Usually episodes were available by the morning after the air date.

Edited by Hasseltine
2 hours ago, Hasseltine said:

I watched Season 13 on Amazon.  It was $1.99 per episode or a season pass for $24.99 which ended up being a bit cheaper.  High Definition was more expensive.  Usually episodes were available by the morning after the air date.

Thank you! I didn't even think of Amazon.

On September 19, 2016 at 4:20 PM, ProudMary said:

From the shallow end of the pool:
Wow, did Padma look fabulous at the Emmy Awards last night!!!  We should all look this good at 26, let alone Padma's 46!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3795732/Top-Chef-star-Padma-Lakshmi-shows-trim-physique-silver-dress-getting-fit-Emmys.html

VaVaVoom! Gorgeous.

Wonder how long it took to arrange the hemline/train just so.

On 9/23/2016 at 1:19 PM, Nutjob said:

Stephanie Izard just threw out the first pitch at today's Chicago Cubs game (GO CUBS!!!!)

A good friend of mine in Chicago tells me she has seen Cubs executives in Girl & the Goat multiple times.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

A good friend of mine in Chicago tells me she has seen Cubs executives in Girl & the Goat multiple times.

I read in a recent article that Theo Epstein, Jed Hoyer and Jason McLeod hit her place up often. Apparently whatever she does, the Cubs brass loves it. (Oh, did I mention GO CUBS?!?!? ;) )

• Love 1

A leader of the Teamsters in Boston pleaded guilty Thursday in the case of alleged union bullying related to the filming in 2014 of the TV show Top Chef.

Facing the possibility of more than two years in jail, 62-year-old Mark Harrington, the union’s secretary-treasurer, took a plea deal Thursday on an attempted extortion charge, reports theBoston Globe. He now faces two years probation, and no jail time. Sentencing is scheduled for Dec. 15.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2016/09/16/boston-teamsters-top-chef-guilty/

• Love 2
On 10/4/2016 at 1:40 AM, ProudMary said:

Enjoyable article.  Made me laugh a few times.  We've seen these culinary faux pas so many times over all these Top Chef seasons.
17 SUREFIRE WAYS TO GET BOOTED OFF 'TOP CHEF'
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/top-chef-contestants-mistakes

Fun article.

However, I do take issue with some of the items.  The one on 'salting', for example.  IMO most professional chefs simply oversalt their food.  I am not the only one who thinks this.  Tom Colicchio & Co. also have a heavy salt requirement, as has been shown by their pronouncements and the reaction of various chefs who have said they salt appropriately according to their and their customers' wishes - yet are faulted by Colicchio & Co for "underseasoning" their food.  There have been occasions on Top Chef itself when guest judges/guest (chef) diners have murmured that their food was perfectly seasoned while Colicchio & Co ranted and raved about the lack of salt.  I have dined at various places (including Achatz's restaurants; he said once Nick Elmy's dish needed more salt) and have sometimes found the dishes bordering on inedible BECAUSE of over-salting.  There was a NYT article once where the writer wrote about how commercial chefs threw handfuls of salt into everything - and wondered if the heavy smoking habits of so many of the chefs and sous-chefs had something to do with it.  Others have commented on how professional chefs (including on food teevee) do indeed toss massive amounts of salt into everything. Certainly I myself have had more than one meal where dishes were barely edible because they were so salty - and the people who prepared it (like one sous-chef whom I know made the dishes I ate that particular night)  were smoking away on the kerbside when I left the restaurant that night. That was not the only time.

And – regarding risotto: it is not necessarily always the Death Knell.  There have been contestants who have done well with their risottos. Lindsay Autry, Antonia Lofaso, even Sarah Gruenberg - have won great praise for their risotto (and arancini) dishes.

Edited by chiaros
  • Love 1

From people I know, the ones who oversalt their food for taste requirements, they are heavy drinkers. That's what I always think of when I see various celebrity chefs saying it needs more salt. Alcohol has killed their taste buds and they need the salt in order to taste anything.

• Love 4

So 8 newbies and 8 from prior seasons.

I would have thought that as badly as it went for Grayson last year, no one would want to come back and risk losing what little goodwill they had, but then again, many are attention whores. Just please, please, please, no Josie and I could do without Stefan no matter how talented he is.

Howzabout Marcel, Betty, Ilan, the you're a snake sssssss guy. And Cliff? Or Sam. Or Elia. Padma might let CJ back if he brings his ball.

Ugh, I don't think I'd even watch that.

And I'll watch anything.

Hopefully they wont try and recreate old tensions like with Ilan and Marcel etc.. Good news is that both Sarah Gruenberg and Beverly Kim have VERY highly rated relatively new places in Chicago so they won't be all that interested in re-creating that tension. Hopefully no Hosea and Leah too and I could do without the Pea puree dispute of 2010 (wow, has it really been that long).

I guess it is too late to send a list of people we don't want?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I doubt they will have any winners.

You're correct.  They will not.  Here is a quote from the Bravo article.

When the culinary competition kicks off with a supersized Season 14 premiere on Thursday, December 1 at 10/9c, not only will we meet eight new cheftestants ready to vie for the coveted title of Top Chef, but we'll also welcome back eight chefs from seasons past, hungry to take home the honor that they weren't able to attain the first time around. 

I would love to see Doug Adams from S12 get another crack at the title, but he seems to have so much going on in Portland, I'm not sure he would have had the time or inclination to return.

• Love 1

I'm trying to think of which chefs I am friends with on Facebook were AWOL during filming. No way am I plowing back that far. I would love to see Chris Crary (Texas), Dale Levitski (Miami), Ariane Duarte (Chicago), Ash Fulk (Las Vegas -- he was hilarious on an episode of Chopped Grill Masters) and Stephanie Cmar (Seattle). 

• Love 1
On 10/13/2016 at 6:43 PM, AriAu said:

Hopefully no Hosea and Leah too

Hosea won the season they were on so he's definitely out, and my impression is that Leah has been trying to live the whole experience down ever since.  Being the woman of course she was given the most shit for it.  When she opened her restaurant Pig & Khao (which still seems to be doing fine) a few years ago none of the press coverage even MENTIONED that she'd been a TC cheftestant and I assume that would have to have been at her request, since otherwise it's always mentioned - most of the time it's going to be a draw for the place.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Useful 1

To put a big bow on Stephanie Izard's connection with the Cubs this season, she apparently roasted an entire goat for Theo Epstein and the Cubs front office folks which they ate right there in the left field bleachers at Wrigley Field. Best baseball season ever.

On another note, having previous contestants on with newbies has really only ever worked on Face Off, and even then it only served to show how much better the previous contestants were. I just hope we're spared having to look at Spike and Marcel again, because HONESTLY...

Edited by Nutjob
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Nutjob said:

On another note, having previous contestants on with newbies has really only ever worked on Face Off, and even then it only served to show how much better the previous contestants were. I just hope we're spared having to look at Spike and Marcel again, because HONESTLY...

The list of returning chefs is in the Season 14 Spoilers thread, if you want to know who's back.

On 11/7/2016 at 3:57 PM, Nutjob said:

Spike and Marcel remain my favorites to this day, so there's that.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I know it's only a few days away - but I still wish there  were some non-spoilered thread for the Charleston season - which just aired a brief teaser last night . 

Currently there are literally no spoilers in the spoiler thread. It's some media articles that have been posted that mention some restaurants they are using. The bulk of the thread was trying to figure out the returning contestants. So you could either create a first look/trailer thread or take discussion to there and not be spoiled about anything.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

The Post and Courier has a couple of Top Chef centered articles running today.
"The 'Top Chef' Effect Could Be Huge in Charleston"
http://www.postandcourier.com/food/the-top-chef-effect-could-be-huge-in-charleston/article_57a29936-af8a-11e6-a439-23fc80d13473.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-via

The next article is somewhat spoiler-ish.

Spoiler

This spoiler-ish one actually has me a bit upset.  Why wouldn't shrimp from local SC waters, in the height of shrimp season, be highlighted exclusively for a Shrimp and Grits dish?

"'Top Chef Charleston' Surprisingly Not So Local in First Episode"

http://www.postandcourier.com/food/top-chef-charleston-surprisingly-not-so-local-in-first-episode/article_f4c2b432-af8d-11e6-bb68-b7d18ddab8f3.html

Edited by ProudMary
To add that possible spoilers appear in the article.

I didn't know where else to put this as there is no thread opened yet for the Season 14 premiere.

DVR Alert!
Tonight's episode, "Something Old, Something New" is supersized and will run from 10:00 p.m. to 11:15 p.m.

Just for future reference, is there a rule that only mods can start the individual episode threads?  I would gladly have started one for the episode but didn't want to step over the line.

1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

I didn't know where else to put this as there is no thread opened yet for the Season 14 premiere.

DVR Alert!
Tonight's episode, "Something Old, Something New" is supersized and will run from 10:00 p.m. to 11:15 p.m.

Just for future reference, is there a rule that only mods can start the individual episode threads?  I would gladly have started one for the episode but didn't want to step over the line.

Anyone can start a thread. Click the box that says it's for episode format and it will correctly format it for you.