Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef in the Media

Bella
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Wow, they are sure trying to justify the winner and laying blame on editing (with which I agree), but, as executive producers, one would think that they would actually have some say or influence over the 'product' they are, you know, producing.

Don't blame the audience for disagreeing with the outcome when all we can base our opinions on is the show that we are watching. 

Exactly, I've been thinking the same thing. The producers are responsible for how it looks and someone should have had the presence of mind to notice that the editing made Dan look like the winner before it was too late to change it. It's one thing to try not to make it obvious who the the winner is (that would be fine) but to make the winner look specifically like someone else is another thing altogether.

No one takes personal responsibility for anything anymore and it pisses the viewers off when you blame them. If most of us think this way they need to look in the mirror.

1 minute ago, caitmcg said:

I don't think they're that involved in the hands-on production (or post-production editing) side of things. Executive producer credit on TV shows is usually more about money than the actual production, as in, with that credit they're getting more of the profit. I'm sure they sit with the production team to discuss the direction of the season overall, etc., but I doubt they're consulted regarding the edits and what makes to air for each episode.

Whoever it is, the buck stops with someone on the team to notice how the show is being edited. Someone has to be responsible to make sure it's OK to release before it goes on the air and that's who should have noticed this and changed it before it was too late.  No excuses for them.

• Like 8
13 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Whoever it is, the buck stops with someone on the team to notice how the show is being edited. Someone has to be responsible to make sure it's OK to release before it goes on the air and that's who should have noticed this and changed it before it was too late.  No excuses for them.

Right. I just don't think it can be laid at Tom and/or Gail's feet. One hopes the Elves will look at the reactions to the finale edit and use that as a guide going forward.

• Like 9
(edited)
3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

If he's innocent, why the need to seek treatment and make amends? Sounds like he was, at minimum, drunk. 

Normally that would be my first question too.  With all the medical issues he has had since his accident   I wonder if what he went through has caused other issues.  I’m thinking pain meds.  Regardless I wonder if the accusations will destroy his career.  

I came back to say that there are many factors in this and I usually avoid this subject as we don’t know him/her or the facts and I doubt we will get them. 

Edited by Ellee
  • Like 2
On 7/3/2024 at 7:03 AM, NowVoyager said:

They seemed happy a few months ago:

This must have been before she fell out of a window on vacation and ended up in the hospital which looks a little more suspicious now.

I had liked Justin a lot but stumbled on a local Minneapolis Reddit thread from people claiming to have worked with him, and they didn't have nice things to say. 

I'm not sure how his local reputation or national reputation can recover.  In the reports I've read, the police had showed up once already at the location that same day.  Then there were more phone calls for the second incident, including by someone who seemingly observed this from afar.  At the very least, it seems like he pointed a gun at her. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Newest "Top Chef" winner Danny Garcia talks seafood, top ingredients and how he'll honor his mentor
By MICHAEL LA CORTE   JULY 1, 2024
https://www.salon.com/2024/07/01/newest-top-chef-winner-danny-garcia-talks-seafood-top-ingredients-and-how-hell-honor-his-mentor/

"Top Chef" finalist Savannah Miller talks eggs, North Carolina and why taking risks is "addictive"
By MICHAEL LA CORTE   JULY 3, 2024
https://www.salon.com/2024/07/03/top-chef-finalist-savannah-miller-talks-eggs-north-carolina-and-why-taking-risks-is-addictive/

Laura Ozyilmaz on food waste, how "Top Chef" was affirming and her culinary-focused honeymoon
By MICHAEL LA CORTE   JULY 6, 2024
https://www.salon.com/2024/07/06/ozyilmaz-on-waste-how-top-chef-was-affirming-and-her-culinary-focused-honeymoon/ 

‘Top Chef’ Finalist Dan Jacobs Says These Are His Go-To Adaptive Cooking Tools for Working in the Kitchen with Kennedy’s Disease
By An Uong   July 7, 2024
https://www.foodandwine.com/top-chef-dan-jacobs-adaptive-cooking-tools-8673662

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

not a chef, but I believe a judge? or perhaps on Masters?

According to IMDb, she competed on Masters, and appeared as a guest judge on this show four times (including, of course, the Portland season, when she was a guest judge twice, one of those times being the finale).

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2

One of my former student workers is now a chef in the PNW and wrote warmly of being welcomed into Naomi's kitchen for a special event. So sad.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
(edited)

“If a dish has a story, it has a soul” – Kwame Onwuachi on Tatiana, judging Top Chef and Cosmic Brownie nostalgia
Rachael Hogg - 24/07/2024
https://www.theworlds50best.com/stories/News/interview-chef-kwame-onwuachi-on-tatiana-top-chef-cosmic-brownies.html 

How were both your experiences on Top Chef – as a contestant and judge – and which did you enjoy more?
Definitely being the judge as I didn't have to run around and make a taco in five minutes or something. But both were great experiences. To be honest, I never even watched the show. I was just working in kitchens. So when I got on, I was just excited to be there. But being a judge was cool, because I would judge from a place of empathy as I had been in their shoes not so long ago. I learned a lot [as a contestant] because I was a sponge and I was so young. Plus, I was cooking for people I looked up to my entire life and I got honest feedback, which you don't really get elsewhere.

Disgraced Top Chef Winner Gabe Erales’ Restaurant Bacalar Closes
BY KIMBERLEY JONES   JUL. 23, 2024
https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/food/2024-07-23/disgraced-top-chef-winner-gabe-erales-restaurant-bacalar-closes/ 

Less than a year since opening its doors, Bacalar has now closed and will rebrand, without Erales’ involvement, confirmed a representative from Urbanspace Hospitality, with walk-up taco window Tomalo expanding to fill the space:

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 5
(edited)

He also is never mentioned on TC, he was cancelled from going to the Aspen Food & Wine Festival, and will never be on TC again, or any of the other shows that have celebrity judges or contestants, and will get no publicity or payments from any of that.   I wonder if he still received the prize money?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
51 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

He also is never mentioned on TC, he was cancelled from going to the Aspen Food & Wine Festival, and will never be on TC again, or any of the other shows that have celebrity judges or contestants, and will get no publicity or payments from any of that.   I wonder if he still received the prize money?   

I didn't realize that, thank you. At least TC did their best to cut him off.

• Like 2