Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef in the Media

Bella
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, rlc said:

I have been trying to figure out who it was! So far my best guess is Geoffrey Zakarian.

Her first season was season 2 though, and he was a judge on season 3. Otherwise, I'd sign off on this pick right away. My guess is Mike Yakura. He was on season 1 as well, but he didn't make any more appearances after 2, IIRC.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rai said:

Her first season was season 2 though, and he was a judge on season 3. Otherwise, I'd sign off on this pick right away. My guess is Mike Yakura. He was on season 1 as well, but he didn't make any more appearances after 2, IIRC.

I remember that guy. He was so greasy, needed a good, long bath. Yuck.

On 3/9/2023 at 9:47 PM, Bastet said:

Hm, maybe I should have watched the whole thing; there's some good stuff.  I walked in again to see Padma asked her top five hardest times telling someone to pack their knives and go:

5. Melissa
4. Beverly
3. Kwame
2. Gregory (both times)
1. Nina

Yes, it was once again clear to see that she has great connection, fondness, and loyalty to these high-achieving contestants.  I think Padma is great for this show.

• Applause 1

Interview with Gail about this season, and the first episode specifically (so don't read until you've watched, as they do talk about who was eliminated).

I appreciate she acknowledged the language barrier some of the cheftestants have to deal with on top of the challenges that are universal to all of them.

• Like 2

Inside The Top Chef Industrial Complex (NYT)

Shortly after the final episode [of the Portland season] aired, when Gabe Erales emerged as the winner of the $250,000 prize, the Austin American-Statesman reported that Mr. Erales was fired from his previous restaurant job “for repeated violations of the company’s ethics policy as it relates to harassment of women.”

Three weeks after the finale aired, Mr. Erales apologized on Instagram. “I had a consensual relationship with a co-worker and later reduced her work hours,” he wrote.

The incident provoked outrage across the restaurant business, but past contestants — including those interviewed by The Times for this story — signed nondisclosure agreements and generally do not criticize the show publicly.

Preeti Mistry, a past “Top Chef” contestant, said the cone of silence proves the power of the show and the extent to which stakeholders and the large network of alumni protect its reputation.

“The chef industrial complex, on a benevolent day you could call it a fraternity or sorority,” they said. “On a less benevolent day you could call it the Mafia.”

While none of the Portland season contestants who spoke to The Times voiced concern over Mr. Erales’s behavior on set, nearly all said the handling of the controversy, by both Magical Elves and the networks, suggested the show’s on-air rhetoric does not match the realities behind the scenes.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 3/10/2023 at 8:21 PM, Rai said:

According to this article from their appearance on WWHL in 2020, Tom thought Yakura was the worst guest judge and very aggressive so I wonder if that could be a hint that it was him?

https://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/tom-colicchio-top-chef-worst-guest-judge

• Like 1
  • Useful 5

Okay from that list, these are the chefs who never appeared again after season 2:

Mike Yakura

Alan Wong

Roberto Ivan

Lee Hefter

Raphael Lunetta 

Stephen Bugarelli

Hiroshi Shima

• Like 1

Padma was on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night for a delightful interview. She spoke a bit about Top Chef, but was really there to promote Season 3 of her Taste the Nation series on Hulu, which drops on May 5th. She also talks about her appearance in Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue at this point in her life. Very enjoyable interview. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, Msample said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/top-chef-oral-history-1235493066/

Sometimes its easy to forget how long ago this show first aired. 

I either didn't know or had forgotten that Padma was the intended host from the beginning, and it was a scheduling conflict that caused them to go with Katie Lee instead.

And I didn't know Jamie works for the show now.

I found the sidebar about Padma regretting all her "I have to get this weight off" talk between seasons for the effect it had on her daughter interesting.

And, yes, Marcel, two things are true: You were bullied and ultimately physically assaulted, which is inexcusable, AND you were an annoying asshole.

Great article, with lots of interesting tidbits (like the judges' deliberation in the Aspen finale taking so long the ski lifts had been turned off, and they didn't know how they were going to get back down once they finally made a decision).

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I either didn't know or had forgotten that Padma was the intended host from the beginning, and it was a scheduling conflict that caused them to go with Katie Lee instead.

And I didn't know Jamie works for the show now.

I found the sidebar about Padma regretting all her "I have to get this weight off" talk between seasons for the effect it had on her daughter interesting.

And, yes, Marcel, two things are true: You were bullied and ultimately physically assaulted, which is inexcusable, AND you were an annoying asshole.

Great article, with lots of interesting tidbits (like the judges' deliberation in the Aspen finale taking so long the ski lifts had been turned off, and they didn't know how they were going to get back down once they finally made a decision).

I had the same thought re Padma and not knowing she was the one they wanted in the first place.

I didn’t know Jamie Lauren was working behind the scenes either, but Lee Ann Wong had that same role for a number of years following her appearances as a contestant.

• Like 2

I'm pretty surprised Jamie is in that role since she had a teeny bit of an attitude toward the challenges, but good for her all the same. To be clear, I liked her, just recognizing how she came across.

I also didn't know Padma was the first host pick! It's nice to hear everyone be real about the fact Katie Lee wasn't a success in the role and take responsibility on that. Also all the snark at Food Network is on point.

• Like 1

The article made me want to rewatch all the Top Chef seasons. I did that a few years ago. For some reason, season 3 bored me (first time I watched it, season 4 was when I started watching as the seasons aired). I remembered being riveted with season 4 when I watched it back in 2008 and wondered if I would like it as much the second time or still be bored. But it riveted me again!! And it was fun to see Blaise on his original TV appearance. Stephanie is still my favorite winner and I am happy she is so successful post-show.

• Like 7
(edited)

Its interesting to hear the producers acknowledge the change in casting as the seasons progressed. The first few seasons the overall skill level of the contestants was far lower than it is now. For every Hung you had pretenders like Stephen Asprinio, a glorifed sommelier/bartender . Or that kid Tom weeded out during the season premiere Quickfire who butchered ( literally ) a loin of pork .  The early seasons had a more reality show vibe, with some clearly playing more towards the camera than the competition ( Spike comes to mind with his stupid hats ) . But to their credit the producers have learned and one comment stuck out - they haven't even had an open casting call in years, instead relying on referrals. True, Gabe did slip thru their vetting and they now have a morals clause.

The comment from Carla Hall about the NDA was interesting - and as the article pointed out, the need for one was proof of how big the show became as the show tries to lock down the ID of the winners to prevent spoilers. 

Edited by Msample
  • Like 4
6 hours ago, Msample said:

The comment from Carla Hall about the NDA was interesting

I love that she took it so seriously she didn't even tell her husband she'd won Super Bowl tickets; he found out while watching the episode.

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, blixie said:

Aww Amar and Ali are having a Papi and Habibi Event pop up at Amar's Laguna Beach restaurant! 

https://www.tastingtable.com/1300904/top-chef-finalists-host-collaboration-dinners-ahead-season-finale/

Ali, is also doing an event w/Sarah in Paducah. 

Aww it always makes me so happy to hear stuff like this and to know that they are friends in real life!

Interesting that Ali seems to gravitate towards the extroverts Amar and Sarah.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, blixie said:

Ali, is also doing an event w/Sarah in Paducah. 

❤️

I'll spoiler tag this for anyone who hasn't yet watched Ep. 13, Champions in Paris.

Spoiler

For winning the Quickfire, Ali won $10,000 from Delta Airlines to travel anywhere in the world that they fly. Sara asked him where he thought he'd go and he said, "Maybe I'll visit you in Kentucky." I love that he seems to have made good on that!

• Like 5
  • Love 7

Just saw Padma's IG story that she is leaving TC. 

Who's next-need someone with food chops, class and a warm and welcoming personality.....will they stay in family like with Brooke Williamson or Kristen Kish or go outside. Seems like it has to be a name and finding someone who meets those criteria will be tough

• Like 4

In a show that's all about the food, you wouldn't think it would matter who hosts the show. But it's so hard for me to imagine this show without Padma. I've watched since the very first episode aired, so I remember the Katie Lee days. I didn't hate them, but Padma instantly made the show better when she arrived, and she, Gail, and Tom have always had such great chemistry. I'll miss her a lot.

• Like 10
  • Love 3

But it's so hard for me to imagine this show without Padma. I've watched since the very first episode aired, so I remember the Katie Lee days. I didn't hate them, but Padma instantly made the show better when she arrived, and she, Gail, and Tom have always had such great chemistry.

Chemistry means E V E R Y T H I N G on this show. The camaraderie adds a lot to the show, or at least my enjoyment. As much as Padma has diva like qualities, somehow they stayed under control and her love for her co-hosts and total respect for everyone came through...a special quality for someone who is brilliant, ambitious, talented and, oh yeah, one of the most beautiful women on the planet.

If you don't think it matters, watch one episode of Katie Lee or the mistake they made having Kelly Choi host Masters at the same time Padma was running the show on the mothership.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, AriAu said:

Just saw Padma's IG story that she is leaving TC. 

Who's next-need someone with food chops, class and a warm and welcoming personality.....will they stay in family like with Brooke Williamson or Kristen Kish or go outside. Seems like it has to be a name and finding someone who meets those criteria will be tough

Carla Hall would also be an option.

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, AriAu said:

Chemistry means E V E R Y T H I N G on this show. The camaraderie adds a lot to the show, or at least my enjoyment. As much as Padma has diva like qualities, somehow they stayed under control and her love for her co-hosts and total respect for everyone came through...a special quality for someone who is brilliant, ambitious, talented and, oh yeah, one of the most beautiful women on the planet.

If you don't think it matters, watch one episode of Katie Lee or the mistake they made having Kelly Choi host Masters at the same time Padma was running the show on the mothership.

NNNNNOOOOO!!!!  I adore Padma.  Back in the early days I thought she was snooty and then I realized she was knowledgeable, caring, and gorgeous of course.   If you go up on the media feed -- one defense of Katie Lee -- she was subbing in for Padma because Padma had already been cast and was doing a BBC series (one of my favorites).  So they directed Katie Lee to be like Heidi Klum from Project Runway, strict and unemotional.  On that oral history of Top Chef, all the producers/directors were like, that was a bad idea.

• Like 6

I greatly respect what Padma is doing with Taste the Nation - she's said she uses food as a Trojan Horse to actually make a political and cultural show, a direct result of the work does with the ACLU regarding immigration rights - so I understand her wanting to focus on those kinds of endeavors, but I am really going to miss her on this show!  She's intelligent, passionate, and funny, and even if they hire someone I already like, it's just plain going to be jarring seeing someone else after all this time.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

I’m genuinely sad. I’m a huge fan of padma on this show!  I’m also hoping Gail will be host as she already is beloved and has good rapport with Tom. 

• Like 6

OMG, wow! This is a pretty big bombshell for Top Chef news (a bombshell about a bombshell, you might say). It's going to take a lot to adjust to someone new.

• Like 6