Type keyword(s) to search

The Medal Count

12 hours ago, Rickster said:

This is true for a lot of the country, but we also have a lot of population in colder weather areas that do have access. I lived in Chicago 10 minutes from a curling club and had a town ice rink and live now in Southwestern CT and off the top of my head can count 5 skating facilities, some with multiple rinks, within 15 minutes of my house. And that doesn’t factor in people the upper midwest, rockies and New England with access to  snow for skiing. I think a key element is the diversity of sports opportunities in the US, vs greater focus on winter sports in places like Scandinavia.

Rink stuff is everywhere. There's a curling club even in Houston. It's the skiing stuff that's hard to come by. Take Norway, they have snow they can ski on all year round, not so much the case for the US -- it's a much smaller window for training.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, kittykat said:

US can add a bronze thanks to the Shibs and are guaranteed one in women's hockey.  Still brings us to 13 which still seems low.  Where are we underperfoming so much?

Mainly in snowboarding (which we used to dominate), freestyle skiing (also used to be a domination sport for us), figure skating (dance is the only discipline where we're really strong anymore, although we made a decent showing in the team event and in men's singles, but even dance has fallen short since Davis/White retired), and also in speed skating (short track in particular -- it just hasn't been the same since Apolo Anton Ohno retired).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kittykat said:

US can add a bronze thanks to the Shibs and are guaranteed one in women's hockey.  Still brings us to 13 which still seems low.  Where are we underperfoming so much?

Some of our big names have faltered (Vonn, Shiffrin, Nathan Chen), and there've been quite a few Americans who have finished just off the podium in fourth. I think overall it's been a disappointing games for the U.S.

• Love 2

I would definitely agree on falling short on speedskating and freestyle.  We still have four golds in snowboarding but haven't had a good old fashioned podium sweep.  Alpine has always been hit or miss.  We're not doing bad by any means but we're definitely not the medal powerhouse we've been since Salt Lake.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, kittykat said:

I would definitely agree on falling short on speedskating and freestyle.  We still have four golds in snowboarding but haven't had a good old fashioned podium sweep.  Alpine has always been hit or miss.  We're not doing bad by any means but we're definitely not the medal powerhouse we've been since Salt Lake.

Which makes sense. (though - I will say this with admitting - i dont know how much the USA invests in Olympic sport). but generally speaking  we all know when you are hosting the games- you get an influx of money and a lot of qualification spots as the host nation. that gives you experience to go into the next Olympics so there is a nice carry over. I'd argue that USA (and Canada) benefited from having 2 NA games in a eight year span. Vancouver was very much home games for USA as it was for Canada). 

I think the best thing for the USA (and Canada) is that the USA is all but hosting the Summer Olympics after Tokyo, and if Canada bids for 2026 (and calgary is very interested), it will replenish the whole "OHO hey! CAN TOTALLY DO THAT!" factor and have a good medaling contingent for America. 

either that or both Canada + USA learn how to cross country ski and biathlon. 

Edited by Daisy
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Which makes sense. (though - I will say this with admitting - i dont know how much the USA invests in Olympic sport). but generally speaking  we all know when you are hosting the games- you get an influx of money and a lot of qualification spots as the host nation. that gives you experience to go into the next Olympics so there is a nice carry over. I'd argue that USA (and Canada) benefited from having 2 NA games in a eight year span. Vancouver was very much home games for USA as it was for Canada). 

I think the best thing for the USA (and Canada) is that the USA is all but hosting the Summer Olympics after Tokyo, and if Canada bids for 2026 (and calgary is very interested), it will replenish the whole "OHO hey! CAN TOTALLY DO THAT!" factor and have a good medaling contingent for America. 

Actually, Paris, France has the 2024 Summer Games.  Los Angeles has the 2028 Games.  However, Salt Lake City has indicated an interest in hosting again in 2030 or possibly as early as 2026 if nobody else wants to do it (although the city would actually prefer hosting in 2030).

• Love 4

so for Canada this is how we're doing so far

We have 19 medals 
6G 5S and 6B on Day Eleven

in Sochi we had 26 total
we have a guaranteed medal (Women's Hockey)
this will be really intriguing for the rest of the Games. we always do better in each games so we need 27 to keep that  up. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Daisy said:

either that or both Canada + USA learn how to cross country ski and biathlon. 

That was my theory as well that all the heat generated from SLC was cooling down.  I'd love for the US to get a bid for 26 or 30 (I'm excited for LA).  There's always young blood out there for the Summers but it may take another cycle of games to get some really great winter athletes that can challenge the current crop of Norwegians/Canadians/etc.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Actually, Paris, France has the 2024 Summer Games.  Los Angeles has the 2028 Games.  However, Salt Lake City has indicated an interest in hosting again in 2030 or possibly as early as 2026 if nobody else wants to do it (although the city would actually prefer hosting in 2030).

thanks for the correct. 

Right countries, wrong years :)

• Love 1

I think the US has definitely under-performed in this event, but I don't think we'll ever attain the success in the Winter Games that we do in the Summer Games, unless we completely change our college athletic structure.  The NCAA is basically a giant Summer Olympics feeder program (with the exception of women's gymnastics), in that it has these amazing athletic programs for track and field, soccer, swimming, basketball, volleyball, and so on, which allows the USA to be competitive or dominate in those events.  Some schools do have winter sports programs, but it's much less common or lucrative, so athletic kids are encouraged to go into those other sports.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

With 26 medals, Canada has now tied its Vancouver total for most medals won.  And we still have a few days left.  

I may cry when we win the one that puts us over the top. 

Is it to much to think we might hit 30?

• Love 1
Just now, blackwing said:

Possibilities are men's hockey, Kaetlyn Osmond, Justin Kripps, bronze in Curling.  Any others that are possible?

Ivanie Blondin in mass start speed skating; she won the world championship in 2016, and was the silver medalist in 2015 (in 2017 she finished 10th).

1 hour ago, Cindyluwho said:

Do we have a shot in 4 man bobsled?

Kripps is more famous for 2-man, but he's fundamentally a good bobsledder, so yeah, I'd say there's a chance of a medal.

Edit:  Oh, and men's big air snowboarding, both McMorris and Parrot are threats to medal.

Edit 2:  Another I thought of, Vincent De Haitre in 1000 m speed skating.  He won silver at the last world championship.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, mtlchick said:

TWENTY. SEVEN.  And we'll enjoy that brief moment that we're running SECOND on the board in front of Germany.

GO CANADA GO!!!

With the men's hockey and curling teams crashing and burning and very few medal opportunities left (4 man bobsled and big air, maybe?), it looks like we may top out at 27. Still a great showing, and it's awesome that it was Kaetlyn Osmond who got the 27th medal.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

With the men's hockey and curling teams crashing and burning and very few medal opportunities left (4 man bobsled and big air, maybe?), it looks like we may top out at 27. 

Those and women’s mass start speed skating, I think.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1

One thing I wonder about in these games is China. They're in 16th place on the medal table, with only 1 gold (though admittedly, 6 silver medals, so it's fair to say they could have a few more gold had a few things gone their way). Not exactly the most promising prelude to the Beijing games, but I'm sure the Chinese government will spare no expense in the intervening four years.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, kittykat said:

Congrats to my Northern neighbors, you officially overtook Germany in the overall medal haul.

I would be surprised if it lasts.  Germany is guaranteed a medal in hockey later today, which ties the two countries.  Then there's bobsled which could result in one or two more medals for Germany.  If each country gets one then the total is tied but Germany has more golds.  The only way Canada stays in #2 is if Kripps medals and neither German sled does.  That seems unlikely.  

Still, #3 at the Olympics is nothing to sneeze about.  Especially while besting USA, considering the US has almost 10x as many people.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, SeanC said:

One thing I wonder about in these games is China. They're in 16th place on the medal table, with only 1 gold (though admittedly, 6 silver medals, so it's fair to say they could have a few more gold had a few things gone their way). Not exactly the most promising prelude to the Beijing games, but I'm sure the Chinese government will spare no expense in the intervening four years.

I saw a lot of promise in several events for Beijing so they seemed to get started on performing well at their home games. I'm sure the government is going to double down on those athletes. Hate to say it but they also have a history of state run doping programs, I remember the early nineties women's swimming and long distance track teams... 

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Still, #3 at the Olympics is nothing to sneeze about.  Especially while besting USA, considering the US has almost 10x as many people.

Except a large part of the country has no discernible winter. At least not one conducive to winter Olympic sports. It doesn’t matter if I love skiing, I wasn’t doing any growing up in Texas. I’ve still never skied. And unless you live in a big city, there are no ice rinks around either.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I saw a lot of promise in several events for Beijing so they seemed to get started on performing well at their home games. I'm sure the government is going to double down on those athletes. Hate to say it but they also have a history of state run doping programs, I remember the early nineties women's swimming and long distance track teams... 

China has a good pairs figure skating team and a good male skater, I think they should still be around in 4 years.  Their aerials team has always been strong.  I seem to remember their short track speedskating team being more of a threat, back in the days of the double Yang Yangs.  Long track speedskating might have promise.  But where they really need some work is alpine skiing and cross country.  In a country with close to 1.5 billion people, surely there are some good skiers?  

South Korea got a big bump this time around, their short trackers have always been good.  But I was surprised to see them with a skeleton athlete and a snowboarder who medalled.  Good for them.

• Love 3

Just to give credit where it's due:

I'm from the U.S. As an American, I consider myself above average just for knowing my own national anthem. Canada and Great Britain I'm pretty good on too, just because sharing a language means it's easier to follow the words and learn the song.

I've been recording & watching the full medal ceremonies every morning over breakfast (and am deeply appreciative that the Olympics Channel airs them live at 5 AM, since prior to this year you have to just watch the NBC broadcasts and hope they'll air one or two.)

This morning I woke up with some music playing in my head. Didn't think much about it, didn't even process what it was until I was in the shower and suddenly realized I'd been humming along to the full German national anthem for the past half hour.

So, German forum readers, congratulations to your athletes success in these games. Even though you didn't "win" the overall medal count, I've been earwormed by your country.

(Not sure why Norway isn't running through my head too. If I had to guess, the fact that Germany got more gold medals in the first week of the games gave them a head (no pun intended) start.)

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go find a YouTube video/tutorial that'll teach me the words to the music, because this will drive me insane otherwise.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, dankesean said:

Just to give credit where it's due:

I'm from the U.S. As an American, I consider myself above average just for knowing my own national anthem. Canada and Great Britain I'm pretty good on too, just because sharing a language means it's easier to follow the words and learn the song.

I've been recording & watching the full medal ceremonies every morning over breakfast (and am deeply appreciative that the Olympics Channel airs them live at 5 AM, since prior to this year you have to just watch the NBC broadcasts and hope they'll air one or two.)

This morning I woke up with some music playing in my head. Didn't think much about it, didn't even process what it was until I was in the shower and suddenly realized I'd been humming along to the full German national anthem for the past half hour.

So, German forum readers, congratulations to your athletes success in these games. Even though you didn't "win" the overall medal count, I've been earwormed by your country.

(Not sure why Norway isn't running through my head too. If I had to guess, the fact that Germany got more gold medals in the first week of the games gave them a head (no pun intended) start.)

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go find a YouTube video/tutorial that'll teach me the words to the music, because this will drive me insane otherwise.

Oh, I can teach you that:

Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit/Für das deutsche Vaterland!

Danach lasst uns alle streben/Brüderlich mit Herz und Hand!

Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit/Sind des Glückes Unterpfand;

Blüh' im Glanze dieses Glückes/Blühe, deutsches Vaterland.

Blüh' im Glanze dieses Glückes/Blühe deutsches Vaterland!

Here's the English translation:

Unity and justice and freedom/For the German fatherland!
Towards these let us all strive/Brotherly with heart and hand!
Unity and justice and freedom/Are the foundation of happiness;
Flourish in the radiance of this happiness,/Flourish, German fatherland!

Flourish in the radiance of this happiness,/Flourish, German fatherland!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 4

A few more medal stats to end these games:

The Netherlands was the most efficient country with 20 medals and 33 athletes. Norway is second with 39 medals and 108 athletes. 

Liechtenstein won the most medals per capita, they won one bronze medal but only have 38000 citizens. Norway was second there as well with their 39 medals and 5.3 million citizens(which is one medal per 135, 897 people) 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

A few more medal stats to end these games:

The Netherlands was the most efficient country with 20 medals and 33 athletes. Norway is second with 39 medals and 108 athletes. 

Liechtenstein won the most medals per capita, they won one bronze medal but only have 38000 citizens. Norway was second there as well with their 39 medals and 5.3 million citizens(which is one medal per 135, 897 people) 

Every Olympics season, I just love perusing the Medal Count per Capita.  It affords me a semblance of perspective ... well, that and a well oiled Tongan.  ;-)

• Love 1

Well, for me, the consolation is that the US finished a respectable fourth in terms of overall medals with a total of 23 (including nine golds), just ahead of the Netherlands' 20 (eight golds) and South Korea's 17 (five golds).  Even better is that Not!Russia didn't even make the top five -- it finished in seventh place with only 17 medals, only TWO of which were gold.

• Love 6

Apparently this is the worst finish for US since Nagano (13 medals there), but I'm proud of our haul.  Figure and speedskating are probably our most glaring gaps but still a great year in snowboarding plus small breakthroughs in curling and cross country.  As I said in an earlier post I'm curious as to what our lineup will be in Beijing.  With most of our Salt Lake/Torino successes retired it will be interesting to see how many new and matured faces we'll have in 4 years.

Great games to Norway, Germany and Canada.  Was hoping Germany would grab that 15th gold in Hockey but can't win them all. And no Canadians it wasn't to beat your Vancouver gold record it was more a beat Russia thing.

• Love 6

Canadian here, and I was rooting for Germany to win that gold in hockey. Still holding out that someone might test positive and change that result... Nah, Pavel Datsyuk is on that Russian team and that gold medal put him in the Triple Gold Club

I'm proud of the Canadian team doing so well - in spite of no medals in men's and women's curling, and some missed opportunities in speed skating.

Those efficiency stats for the Netherlands and Norway are amazing and impressive.

I love the Winter Olympics!!

• Love 6
21 hours ago, kittykat said:

Apparently this is the worst finish for US since Nagano (13 medals there), but I'm proud of our haul.  Figure and speedskating are probably our most glaring gaps but still a great year in snowboarding plus small breakthroughs in curling and cross country.  As I said in an earlier post I'm curious as to what our lineup will be in Beijing.  With most of our Salt Lake/Torino successes retired it will be interesting to see how many new and matured faces we'll have in 4 years.

Great games to Norway, Germany and Canada.  Was hoping Germany would grab that 15th gold in Hockey but can't win them all. And no Canadians it wasn't to beat your Vancouver gold record it was more a beat Russia thing.

that was the most stressful game ever. because it was YAY GERMANY then it was like.. oh wait. i  don't want them to beat the record lol

• Love 2
21 hours ago, kittykat said:

Canada had 13 gold medals in Vancouver so Germany's finish was still better than Canada's in 2010. I believe Canada's record is for most gold medals won by the host country. That said, even if Canada's record was on the line, I would have still rooted for Germany, lol.

• Love 3
On ‎02‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:33 PM, kittykat said:

Speedskating has been pretty much a failure in a sport where the US used to do very well, and men's Alpine skiing was a bust this time.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Speedskating has been pretty much a failure in a sport where the US used to do very well, and men's Alpine skiing was a bust this time.

Yeah, speedskating. Such a shocker that the results fall off when athletes have to struggle to fund themselves. so weird how that doesn't attract the top talent, USOC. So weird. Can you imagine what some of the talent that goes into track and field could do on the speedskating rink? Until the US decides it cares about winter sports, we are going to continue to lose ground. Skiing is another one that anyone who has watched the World Cup saw coming. The US men's team is a void except for Ligety every once in a while. Maybe a top 10 here and there from the other guys. Lindsey and Mikaela have been holding down the fort on the women's side, but with Lindsey about done, Mikaela can't win all the medals by herself. And the drop off in that one is odd because there is money in skiing. At least in World Cup skiing thanks to luxury European brands. It isn't like bobsled or speedskating where you have to wonder if you are going to hitchhike to the World Championships each year.

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

Canada had 13 gold medals in Vancouver so Germany's finish was still better than Canada's in 2010. I believe Canada's record is for most gold medals won by the host country. That said, even if Canada's record was on the line, I would have still rooted for Germany, lol.

Actually, Canada had 14 in Vancouver.  The most ever by a host nation.  Sorry.  I'm very protective of my country in the Olympics.  Prior to Vancouver, we were the only host country to never win at home.  

• Love 2
Just now, Love said:

Actually, Canada had 14 in Vancouver.  The most ever by a host nation.  Sorry.  I'm very protective of my country in the Olympics.  Prior to Vancouver, we were the only host country to never win at home.  

Actually, that's not true: Yugoslavia never won gold during the Sarajevo Games – just one silver medal.

15 hours ago, MaKaM said:

Yeah, speedskating. Such a shocker that the results fall off when athletes have to struggle to fund themselves. so weird how that doesn't attract the top talent, USOC. So weird. Can you imagine what some of the talent that goes into track and field could do on the speedskating rink? Until the US decides it cares about winter sports, we are going to continue to lose ground. Skiing is another one that anyone who has watched the World Cup saw coming. The US men's team is a void except for Ligety every once in a while. Maybe a top 10 here and there from the other guys. Lindsey and Mikaela have been holding down the fort on the women's side, but with Lindsey about done, Mikaela can't win all the medals by herself. And the drop off in that one is odd because there is money in skiing. At least in World Cup skiing thanks to luxury European brands. It isn't like bobsled or speedskating where you have to wonder if you are going to hitchhike to the World Championships each year.

This isn't a new situation as far as speedskating is concerned, though.  The athletes have often struggled to find funding, but we used to win medals in the sport, so there have to be additional factors.

I've always thought they shouldn't just add up the number of medals to rank the countries but rather assign a larger weight to gold and silver medals. Giving a gold medal 3 points, silver 2 points and bronze 1 point, wouldn't change the first 6 rankings, but would have bumped Sweden up to 7th place after South Korea. Next would've been Switzerland in 8th, France in 9th and OAR would drop down to 10th place tied with Austria.

• Love 1