Type keyword(s) to search

Season Three and Beyond: FFwSB

• Start Topic

Depressing and funny as always. Nothing says "journalism" like some third-string fuckwad from Fox News trying to find unfortunate souls, and then we see a bunch on a raft, along with what sounds like a kid crying. Also . . . so if one guy can't make a raft, no one can make a raft without help from the deep pockets of a major political party? I imagine there's a lot of turnover at the FF staff, from all the people forced to watch Fox News and rage-quitting over their bias.

Two gubernatorial rivals actually get along with each other? Maybe the U.S. should give Vermont to Canada.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, possibilities said:

Lack of broadband is a problem in rural parts of western Massachusetts (where I live), also. It's very expensive to wire less densely populated areas, and the mountainous terrain makes wireless service impractical. None of the corporate entities who supply service will do it (we don't have cable tv, either, in most places-- there is just no fiber anywhere). People rely on dial up (!!!) or satellite service (if they can get it, which also depends on things like terrain, and which is slow, unreliable, and very expensive). It's absolutely a problem and the number 1 issue in a lot of places. Basically, it needs to be done by a non-profit/government funded entity, and that is a bureaucratic nightmare even when people are willing to raise taxes and bond for it, because there are actually regulatory obstacles to doing it even when it's funded. I have no trouble believing that practicality and desperation overcome prejudices when it comes to putting broadband up against any other concern.

Ashley's story was fun, and if  you live out here, it's totally credible.

same here. what is the most frustrating is there is broadband mere miles away. i have a bad feeling i may not see it in my lifetime. no cable either. i pay literally hundreds of dollars a month for direct tv/internet (limited amount  of date (verizon sucks) go over every month) and smart phone. i have written to every company and every rep i can think of. nothing. they don't care.

21 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Hilarious Freudian slip that Fox tweeted "white power" instead of "white powder."

The news is so depressing and upsetting and maddening. If I let myself think too much about it all, I really despair and start to sink into a real depression. But then there was Ashley's Vermont piece. It's nice to see some civility in the political world. That buoyed me up a bit.

on one the talk shows, forget which one, they said something like "auto correct does not change powder to power unless you type that in a lot!"

• Love 4
5 hours ago, msrachelj said:

same here. what is the most frustrating is there is broadband mere miles away. i have a bad feeling i may not see it in my lifetime. no cable either. i pay literally hundreds of dollars a month for direct tv/internet (limited amount  of date (verizon sucks) go over every month) and smart phone. i have written to every company and every rep i can think of. nothing. they don't care.

on one the talk shows, forget which one, they said something like "auto correct does not change powder to power unless you type that in a lot!"

Is moving a few miles not an option?

Vermonter here!  Unfortunately, according to a recent VPR poll, Ms Christine Hallquist has almost no chance of unseating Gov. Scott, who yes, is a "nice guy," but he hired a virulent GOP-right winger as his chief of staff who refuses to work with any Democrat (the Legislature is Democrat-majority).  Legislators who used to meet with legislator Scott on a friendly basis to develop bipartisan legislation are stymied by his administration and find Governor Scott is no longer available.  And Scott is kind of dumb, too.  But he publicly disavows Trump (good) and signed some anti-gun legislation (better!), so he will pull moderate Dems enough to make up for the few "gun nuts" who vowed to kick him out of office.  Unfortunately for Christine, she's not gonna win.

And yes, Ashley, we are nice and well-informed, mostly, but an African-American legislator just decided not to run for reelection because of nasty racist posts on her social media.  So even Vermont is not a paradise!  There's a lot of ignorance and stupid here.

• Love 2
On 10/26/2018 at 1:22 PM, scrb said:

Is moving a few miles not an option?

seriously? moving to another home? i guess you are not a homeowner. no, it's not easy at all for many reasons. wish it were that simple to solve the problem. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, msrachelj said:

seriously? moving to another home? i guess you are not a homeowner. no, it's not easy at all for many reasons. wish it were that simple to solve the problem. 

Also, around here, it would mean moving entire communities. We may be sparsely populated, but think about moving 400 households! It's not practical on any level. People may have been here for along time, before the internet was even a thing. My town was founded in the 1700s. And that's just one of many of these rural communities in the region.

• Love 4

LOL, Hanahope!  My, Vermont has been featured on comedy shows recently, hasn't it? I had seen that skit.  We are one of the whitest states in the Union, it's true, but we have a very small population.  And I think one winter of below zero temps for more than a week and two feet of snow might chase away the White Southern Supremicist demographic.  Vermont is gorgeous in the autumn, but it's unforgiving in February.

The interview with the Philly DA was good, and spotlighted some really simple fixes that can at least  chip away at our incarceration problem.  And I admit I laughed at the description of Gritty as Elmo on meth.

• Love 5

Steve King was always a vile piece of shit. Samantha's piece about him made me want to do vile acts of violence on his forehead with a ball peen hammer.

8 hours ago, attica said:

And I admit I laughed at the description of Gritty as Elmo on meth.

Laughing at he Philadelphia Flyers new mascot will never grow old.

• Love 3
On 11/1/2018 at 11:39 AM, peeayebee said:

I also enjoyed the interview with the DA and with the coalition that works with him. Makes me not lose all hope.

Right?  I live here in Philly and had no idea that he was working that closely with the community.  

23 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:
On 11/1/2018 at 9:33 AM, attica said:

And I admit I laughed at the description of Gritty as Elmo on meth.

Laughing at he Philadelphia Flyers new mascot will never grow old.

Y'all gonna leave Gritty alone!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Hanahope said:

What the heck was with that last question on This is not a game? 

I deleted the app as my work schedule didn't allow me to participate more than once a week or so and I found that even if I did have time there were technical issues, but I'm guessing that these links will explain -

https://twitter.com/FullFrontalSamB/status/1059220728783007745

‘Full Frontal With Samantha Bee’ Donates Trivia Game App Prize to NAACP

• Love 1

Yeah I finally got a notification that explained it.  They should have explained it right away.  I so rarely play the game, I was excited to get to the last question after getting the prior 9 right, so it was disappointing at first to inexplicably loose.  But I get it.  I think they are going to do the same thing tonight.  

I don't really have a problem with Pelosi talking about common ground. They should certainly investigate anything that warrants it, but someone should step up and be the adults here. 

It's interesting that 57% of votes were Democratic overall and the ballot measures that passed were basically left of center. (Though in Idaho, to be fair, the healthcare extension had broad bipartisan support.)

I just love Alana's on the road segments. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

God, that woman Allana was interviewing at the Cruz headquarters. "Because he wants to let all the foreigners in." Even though Hispanics raised her children. WTF? Nobody but nobody ran a campaign on open borders. Nobody. How half the country believes that's true is beyond me.

P.T. Barnum was right. There's a sucker born every minute.

• Love 10

Great week for Sam, taking the good with the bad. And it would've been a banner week even if the president didn't decide to go nanners on Wednesday. I can imagine her staff working on the results . . . then that happens, and everybody's jaws hang down for a solid minute. Also, crickets chirping, even though they were indoors.

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

God, that woman Allana was interviewing at the Cruz headquarters. "Because he wants to let all the foreigners in." Even though Hispanics raised her children. WTF? Nobody but nobody ran a campaign on open borders. Nobody. How half the country believes that's true is beyond me.

I was more stunned with the dude who basically said he couldn't wait for Justice Ginsberg to die so the president could get a third appointee. Aside from how RBG has become an unlikely pop culture heroine . . . who the fuck says something like that?!? Some fucker at a Ted Cruz rally, that's who.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I was more stunned with the dude who basically said he couldn't wait for Justice Ginsberg to die so the president could get a third appointee. Aside from how RBG has become an unlikely pop culture heroine . . . who the fuck says something like that?!? Some fucker at a Ted Cruz rally, that's who.

I usually watch FF (and TDS and Colbert) with my finger over mute so I can mute clips they show but that clip, I wanted to nutpunch that dude. WTH is wrong with people! I hope karma gets him posthaste. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I usually watch FF (and TDS and Colbert) with my finger over mute so I can mute clips they show but that clip, I wanted to nutpunch that dude. WTH is wrong with people! I hope karma gets him posthaste. 

I hope karma diagnoses that ignorant fucker terminal. Seriously, that segment about Texas doesn't make voters there look  good in a positive light.

• Love 5

I loved Ashley channeling Ira Glass for the first couple minutes of her "This American Trash" segment.  She didn't maintain it through the whole segment, but for a minute or so, she had the cadence and inflections down perfectly.

Laura Ingraham is one of the worst people alive. Did anyone else know that Tomi gets to go to the doctor because she's on her mommy's healthcare due to the ACA? 

Are we still doing the 'war' on xmas? Seems a little dated at this point. You'd think they'd get some new material, like the whole 'baby it's cold outside' nonissue. At least that's reasonably timely. 

I'm not surprised about the so-called bills being drafted to curb power as gop governors et al. were voted out, but it's appalling how just bald they are about it. I do think they'll all get thrown out of court though. 

Honestly, Democrats should make voter suppression one of their top issues going into 2020. I did love the professor just cracking up about the netflix gag. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ganesh said:

I'm not surprised about the so-called bills being drafted to curb power as gop governors et al. were voted out, but it's appalling how just bald they are about it. I do think they'll all get thrown out of court though.

Unless the five right wingers on the U.S. Supreme Court rule that they were all within their rights to impose and pass the bills because Fuck You, That's Why!!!

• Love 4

You think Obama wishes he could have taken the wheels off the White House before he left, like the Republicans from Wisconsin and Michigan are doing? Probably not. Man, those folks redefine "Sore Losers."

I'm guessing Sam will be off for a spell after next week's I.C.E. special. I know the outrage can be ignited at any moment, but all satirists need a break to celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or whatever is done in Canada.

Tomi Lahren. Why is she still a thing?

• Love 1

Are we still doing the 'war' on xmas? Seems a little dated at this point.

Oh, yeah - trust me. It's still gospel for right-wing radio fans. My father believes everything Bill O'Reilly says 100%.

And here's what's so striking about Lahren, Coulter and their ilk: they brazenly insult liberals as dumb and crazy, right out loud. If you watch any other news channel you don't find pundits saying conservatives are dumb or crazy or are out to destroy the country. I don't know how you get away with going on TV and saying half the country is crazy and/or stupid. You'd think that would disqualify you from being an on-air personality but apparently not on Fox News.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Oh, yeah - trust me. It's still gospel for right-wing radio fans. My father believes everything Bill O'Reilly says 100%.

All the people complaining about the war on xmas aren't being forced to do anything they don't want to. I guess that obvious to those of us here that live in objective reality. 

3 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Wow. I'm kinda speechless.

Oh, she actually tweeted it a long time ago. I do enjoy bringing it up whenever she brays her precious little mug. 

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And here's what's so striking about Lahren, Coulter and their ilk: they brazenly insult liberals as dumb and crazy, right out loud. If you watch any other news channel you don't find pundits saying conservatives are dumb or crazy or are out to destroy the country. I don't know how you get away with going on TV and saying half the country is crazy and/or stupid. You'd think that would disqualify you from being an on-air personality but apparently not on Fox News.

This is my other one. Anyone watch The Boondocks? "Because a bitch got books to sell." 

• Love 1
On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:53 PM, ganesh said:

That would go through state courts first. I don't think it would make it that far. 

Unless Walker packed the state courts with far right judges ready to uphold his far right sickness. I have serious doubts this gets overthrown, even if this gets all the way to the Supreme Court, which is my original point.

21 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

What @ABAY and @IMONREY said. Plus the fact that white Christian pensioners get a massive boner listening to what this empty vessel has to say.

...or whatever is done in Canada.

We celebrate the pagan life of Our God, Tim Horton. In case anyone was interested.

• Love 10

Sam (well TBS actually) bought a house for lawyers and family members to use while they are working to assist immigration detainees??!!   Take that, John Oliver and all your HBO dragon money and Russel Crowe's jock strap.  I think you've been one-upped.  

• Love 10
53 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

Ok,I recognized Jon Stewart, Nick,Kroll, Jon Cryer and Patton Oswald. Who am I missing?

I believe that was Brooke Shields as Sam's mother (in the style of Alison Janney in I, Tonya). Molly Ringwald's name was in the credits, but I didn't recognise her. I screamed when I realised it was Jon Stewart!

• Love 1

Others in the singalong were  Eric Andre, Bellamy Young, Nico Young,  and Olivia Munn. (But I thought it was Kathryn Hahn, not Ana Gasteyer, which shows how much AG is not on my radar. Fooey to me!)

Deadline did this interview with Sam about getting the house.

So as soon as Tyler pitched the idea (of donating a house) I started texting TBS. I was like hey, we have a crazy idea: Do you guys want to buy a house? And they were excellent about it. As soon as they heard the idea, they were like that’s a great idea. I was so excited about that. I was so excited about that idea and then everything came together quickly. We bought the house. It had been on the market for a little while. It didn’t close until the end of November. We found a contractor who was willing to do the work that needed to get it up to code, like to bring it, honestly, into this century. It’s a very old house. We found a contractor who had a team that was available and very interested to do it and able to do it and they gave it their all. These teams worked around the clock really to make the house habitable by the time we wanted to shoot in it. And they did an incredible job and it’s absolutely lovely. It’s a place where you imagine you could get a good night’s sleep or just have a meal or have a meeting with an attorney. So I think it will be well used, and it’s walking distance to the detention center.

Q: Congratulations. And one last question: At what point did your husband, Jason Jones, realize he was going to get the opportunity to skate for the special?

A: You know, he grew up in Canada too so he actually played hockey and he loves playing hockey. I’ve asked him to do lots of things for my show. This is the only thing he ever said yes to.

• Love 2

Huh.  I thought it was Kathryn Hahn, too, but they've always seemed a lot alike to me.  But there was another woman in the eggnog song who I thought for sure was Julianne Moore, but that seems pretty unlikely.  The credits rolled too fast for me to check, even with rewinding the DVR a couple of times.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, One Imaginary Girl said:

But there was another woman in the eggnog song who I thought for sure was Julianne Moore, but that seems pretty unlikely.  The credits rolled too fast for me to check, even with rewinding the DVR a couple of times.

I think that was Bellamy Young.  (I thought it was Julianne Moore at first too).

• Love 1

I did enjoy the second segment when Sam took the media to task about framing the women running for president. 'You don't have to wonder how the media will cover it because you are the media and can cover it.'

I love Alana. That segment was bonkers.

• Love 9

I loved the show tonight. I'll be sad not to have Ashley be there. They didn't say what her next project is, did they? Maybe I missed it because I was busy grieving.

Appreciated the segment on fat shaming and it's real world implications.

The Schultz take down was fun.

And it's terrifying when you think about how short 12 years is in terms of the degree of predicted calamity and the degree of nothing being done about it. I had heard Pelosi's comments about the Green New Deal earlier this week and it really upset me.

• Love 4

The closed captioning people clutched their pearls and refused to transcribe Samantha's use of "clitoris."  In 2019, we're still afraid of ladyparts.

Sam made an outstanding point about causation and correlation.  If medical researchers choose to link obesity to increased morbidity and mortality, they need to account for the fact that obese people are less likely to seek preventive care and medical treatment.  Kind of like how my dentist yelled at me for not getting dental care and having cavities, when the fear of being yelled at is what kept me away from the dentist in the first place.  

I hope someone takes her up on her offer to license the footage.

It's sad that as recently as three or four years ago, nobody thought the size of someone's bank account was a leading qualification for the Presidency.

I wish the Ashley montage lasted longer.

• Love 5