Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

34 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Same reason it took 20 years to finally put Larry Nassar behind bars- GOLD MEDALS. 

18 minutes ago, MaKaM said:

And Russian sports culture is different from the US. Being on ritalin in the US is fine, in Russia it is a HUGE deal. Like they think you must be dying if you are on it (because none of them are) while being on meldonium is no big thing. ETA: they are apparently also very used to being called fat and then when they become coaches, calling other people fat. Now maintaining a reasonable body weight is critical to safety in a lot of these sports (or better yet, a strength to weight ratio but that takes work and calculation so it is just easier to fat shame) but the old-school way of going about it is still in ascendance in Russia by all accounts.

16 minutes ago, selkie said:

From what I've heard in other sports, Russia doesn't place a really high value on protecting the health of junior athletes in general. Some of the training volume numbers I've heard for young swimmers are pretty insane. And Eteri's girls get results on the global stage so for every one she drives from the sport, a dozen girls will try to take that training group place because they want to be a World or Olympic champion and they see it as their path. 

This is all well and good, but it seems to be the problem of only Eteri's group, AFA we know. Maria Sotskova, Elena Radionova, Elizavita Tuktamysheva, Anna Pogorilaya, and Adelina Sotnikova, as far as we know, haven't faced this, and actually look like healthy athletes. Same for men with Dimitri Aliev, Mikhail Kolyada and Alexander Samarin.

Even Polina Tsurskaya and Alina Zagitova trained under different coaches before moving to Eteri, and they seem fine.

Maybe it's an exaggeration, but it's worth being investigated.

Edited by fan94
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Chaser said:

My pet peeve: Commentators that don't call out obvious problems in performance and judging. 

The good ones do. B. ESP guys were apparently demolishing the scoring of Bobrova and Soloviev yesterday.

The same guys were ragging on Med scoring more than Kostner in 2018 Euros SP.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, kili said:

Starvation can also delay that without the drugs. The female gymnasts used to do that too. Some of those tricks get harder after you develop. That's part of the reason for the age limitations.

With these types of methods to keep off the weight i.e. poor eating habits, I’ve always wondered how these skaters (and gymnasts) keep up their endurance when competing in such high performance sports where endurance is a huge part of being successful? Protein smoothies and drugs? 

Because proper food provides energy and can help build the appropriate muscle mass etc., to have the strenghth and endurance to compete. Of course practice is key as well. But I’m just curious how they’re not collapsing on the ice after a 2-4 minute skate full of jumps and spins if they’re barely eating. 

• Love 3

Ben Agosto and Charlie White are on Olympic Ice discussing the free dance. Charlie is saying that the ShibSibs need to have the skate of their life to overtake H/D. I tend to agree with him given the past results of H/D and the Shibs during the free dance this season. I only hope the Shibs go all out (a la Nathan Chen during the long program) tonight. 

• Love 8

So sad about Debi Thomas -- hey, could her mom be any worse that Surya Bonaly's?  Hers sounds  like a worse story than Nicole Bobek or Pasha G., or even Tonya.

It seems like a certain smaller, symmetrical body type is more suitable for skating -- look at all the  Asian/Far Eastern skaters, whether they be from Japan or China or American or Canadian.  Or, as the example used for Michael Phelps, long arms and hulkish shoulders for swimming.

The Russians will always get new skaters coming up because that's a way for the kids to get a better life.

5 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

And they wonder why the crazy-ass bloggers insist that they're secretly married and have three kids together!

Honestly I can see why people would think they're secretly fucking. BUT at the same time...why would they keep it a secret? Neither one is married. They've been skating together for years and years. It wouldn't be hugely scandalous and half of Canada already ships them anyway. Ice skating is filled with romantic liaisons and scandals. Virtue/Moir secretly fucking would hardly register on the crazy ice skating scandal scale. 

(Now the theory that they're secretly married with three kids? That comes out of the mind of a crazy person.)

Anyway, here's me lighting a candle for the ShibSibs tonight. And I think I'd rather see Virtue/Moir win over Papadakis/Cizeron. When Virtue/Moir score high, there's no questioning why -- technically they are second to none.

Oh, and no wardrobe malfunctions, please. 

• Love 12
29 minutes ago, Enero said:

With these types of methods to keep off the weight i.e. poor eating habits, I’ve always wondered how these skaters (and gymnasts) keep up their endurance when competing in such high performance sports where endurance is a huge part of being successful? Protein smoothies and drugs? 

In the article, Boitano wondered aloud if he would have hit the quad more consistently by eating healthier.

• Love 2

I cracked up at the NBCSN promo where they said that three teams from the U.S. are going for "solid gold" tonight. I suppose that going for "solid bronze" doesn't have the same ring to it :)

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, sweeks said:

I cracked up at the NBCSN promo where they said that three teams from the U.S. are going for "solid gold" tonight. I suppose that going for "solid bronze" doesn't have the same ring to it :)

That, and the fear that no one would want to watch a battle for mere bronze.

10 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Honestly I can see why people would think they're secretly fucking. BUT at the same time...why would they keep it a secret? Neither one is married. They've been skating together for years and years. It wouldn't be hugely scandalous and half of Canada already ships them anyway. Ice skating is filled with romantic liaisons and scandals. Virtue/Moir secretly fucking would hardly register on the crazy ice skating scandal scale. 

(Now the theory that they're secretly married with three kids? That comes out of the mind of a crazy person.)

Anyway, here's me lighting a candle for the ShibSibs tonight. And I think I'd rather see Virtue/Moir win over Papadakis/Cizeron. When Virtue/Moir score high, there's no questioning why -- technically they are second to none.

Oh, and no wardrobe malfunctions, please. 

Personally, I think V/M know the benefits of the audience buying into a narrative they set. I think they play it up. It wouldn't surprise me if after they really retire and stop skating we find out it's a total friendzone. 

Im lighting all the candles for the Shibs. I loved Paradise in the Team event, I'm hoping they go all in.

• Love 13

That Debi Thomas story broke my heart.  I wish she had someone in her life that could persuade her to get medical attention.  On the right medication, people with bipolar disorder can lead happy, healthy lives.

I thought V&M were VERY GOOD last night and I'm not a huge fan. Their music was so imaginative.  Some of the teams made me wonder if they had any idea what 'Latin' meant.  The music and the movement was as 'Latin' as Lawrence Welk.  As for the French team, there might be some scoring shenanigans going on behind the scenes but I don't think I would have been able to keep my composure as well as she did after ending up half-naked in front of the whole world.  That wasn't 'bitch face'.  That was 'I'm trying to deal with the humiliation and disappointment' face.  And wearing 'skimpy' costumes doesn't mean a woman somehow deserves to have her upper body exposed like that.  The men wear tight pants but I bet if one male skater found himself hanging out of his costume, they'd stop the whole damn show.  And he wouldn't be expected to SMILE.

All this made me seek out one of my favourite ice dance teams, Rahkamo and Kokko from Finland.  It might be a bit dated, but back in the day this team was magical.

• Love 13
46 minutes ago, Enero said:

But I’m just curious how they’re not collapsing on the ice after a 2-4 minute skate full of jumps and spins if they’re barely eating. 

I've seen a few ballerinas over the years try to dispel the notion that they don't eat....one clearly remarking that if she didn't load up on proteins before a performance, she wouldn't last. She said she burns it all off.

No doubt there are those in all these disciplines that starve themselves, but it does seem to me that proper nutrition would be an asset.....of course, that's when you're arguing athleticism over appearance, and skating is a weird cross (especially in dance).

I'm on the V/M train now too, simply because the French were way over scored. I really want the Shibs to medal too, but I will say that IMO, H/D's free is better because it challenges them and is more interesting. Why the heck are the Shibs doing another Coldplay? It's like Jason Brown doing a series of Riverdance routines just because it worked once.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, anniebird said:

It's so funny to see Ben Agosto and Charlie White sitting there in their suits like they're all grown up or something.

I adore Charlie, but him in a suit is a bit like a teddy bear in one: I squee & want him to sit on my bed.  Next to a Peppa pillow.

• Love 5

Regarding athlete nutrition, I think there is still a long way to go on it. In Aly Raisman (gymnast) book, she wrote how she was following online fad diets about carbs and whatnot until her parents took her to a nutritionist. One wasn't provided. But when she got on  pproper diet, lots of her recurring injuries cleared up. But she only got to that point because she is wealthy enough, not because the federation cared enough. And from Adam's article, figure skating is not prioritizing it either. 

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, voiceover said:

I adore Charlie, but him in a suit is a bit like a teddy bear in one: I squee & want him to sit on my bed.  Next to a Peppa pillow.

This is why I think everyone preferred him to Meryl when they both did Dancing with the Stars four years ago.  There's something that's just so adorkable about him that I think he has this effect on everyone.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, anniebird said:

Lukas Csolley has way too many things going on with that costume.

I HATED that blasted costume. Her's was echoing Liza Minelli's...fine. But his? He looked like a Hassidic version of Gudrun Sjoden.

Edited by Dianaofthehunt
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

This is why I think everyone preferred him to Meryl when they both did Dancing with the Stars four years ago.  There's something that's just so adorkable about him that I think he has this effect on everyone.

I've encountered them both and you honestly just want to squish him in real life, he's so gentle and charming. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Enero said:

Because proper food provides energy and can help build the appropriate muscle mass etc., to have the strenghth and endurance to compete. Of course practice is key as well. But I’m just curious how they’re not collapsing on the ice after a 2-4 minute skate full of jumps and spins if they’re barely eating. 

Some of them are. I remember an interview with Tanith where she was eating like a handful of almonds a day to try and keep her weight down. But then she realized that Ben was having to literally drag her around out on the ice because she just didn't have the energy. She said she got much better when she started eating healthier.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, herbz said:

I've encountered them both and you honestly just want to squish him in real life, he's so gentle and charming. 

And as big a fan as I am of his and Meryl's, I somehow missed the fact that he and Tanith became parents just a few months ago. I'll bet he's an awesome dad, since he's clearly still a big kid at heart himself!

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

The Russians will always get new skaters coming up because that's a way for the kids to get a better life.

I wonder if they even like it. I remember hearing stories out of former East Germany where kids got tested to see which sports suited their physical talents the best and I imagine the Soviets weren't any different. Maybe the Russians still do this kind of thing since sports is such an important thing there, important enough for state regulated doping programs.

2 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I wonder if they even like it. I remember hearing stories out of former East Germany where kids got tested to see which sports suited their physical talents the best and I imagine the Soviets weren't any different. Maybe the Russians still do this kind of thing since sports is such an important thing there, important enough for state regulated doping programs.

Oh, I once knew a Russian man who told me that he remembered going through something like that when he was about seven years old to see whether he'd be a fit for gymnastics.  Apparently, though, the Soviet government didn't think he had what it took.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

I like the German girl's dress. I would wear it as a nightgown. If I wore pretty nightgowns rather than flannel and cotton jammies.

I loved it too - and thought it was a nice nod to their music (the Pride and Prejudice soundtrack, Keira Knightley version).

I also loooooved the South Korean skater’s dress. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Oh, I once knew a Russian man who told me that he remembered going through something like that when he was about seven years old to see whether he'd be a fit for gymnastics.  Apparently, though, the Soviet government didn't think he had what it took.

Don't the Chinese still do this? Evaluate kids for different sports and take them off to schools when they are very young?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, hendersonrocks said:

I loved it too - and thought it was a nice nod to their music (the Pride and Prejudice soundtrack, Keira Knightley version).

I also loooooved the South Korean skater’s dress. 

I went right to iTunes and bought that song - it's not my favorite version of Pride and Prejudice but the music is beautiful.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, sab85 said:

Don't the Chinese still do this? Evaluate kids for different sports and take them off to schools when they are very young?

Not sure if they do, but they certainly determine who skates with who in the pairs and dance.  

• Love 1
Just now, anniebird said:

I went right to iTunes and bought that song - it's not my favorite version of Pride and Prejudice but the music is beautiful.

Dario Marianelli is one of my favourite contemporary composers, and he does his best work with Joe Wright.

• Love 3

I am not a fan of V/M by any stretch of the imagination, but if they outskate the other teams, they deserve to win.  I feel that H/D has a stronger FD than the Shib Sibs though H/D does have a history of making major mistakes during big competitions (last year's worlds anyone?) so it's going to come down to who skates clean, IMO.

Just now, HartofDixie said:

What is the name of the song?

Dawn - it's the first song on the soundtrack.

1 minute ago, Garden Wafers said:

Is that the case? I'm watching the NBC stream and wondered why they'd messed with an otherwise lovely medley. 

She mentioned that during the team event for the short program but I thought that was just for the Latin beat - I didn't realize it applied to all the music.

• Love 1