Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E08: Welcome to the Jungle

Drogo
  • Start Topic

The contestants must create a dish using exotic meats–boar, venison and elk–that were eaten by early humans. Each team will use a spear to hunt for five ingredients to prepare as sides for their dish.

I'm done with Elise and actively loathe her.

Agree about Robyn at the meal and didn't recognize her without the bandana and constant mugging.

I live in California and didn't realize we produced caviar.  Duh.

Are they going to black jackets next week?

• Love 4

Damn!  Robyn actually stepped up her game this week!  Good for her!

5 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I don't agree with who went home. 

If it's based on this particular service, it should've been Barbie or, as much as I hate to admit it, Michelle.  The raw food that threw them off was their fault.  But Manda made her own contribution to the loss, too, and her own body of work was weaker than Michelle, Barbie, Jennifer, Dana, and even Elise, so I think her ouster is actually quite justifiable.  But with her goes the last of HK15's representation.

At this point, if anyone seems like winner material of this bunch, I'd still say it's Dana or Jennifer if a woman wins.  I was including Barbie and Michelle in that group, too, but this episode really shot the wad for both of them, and Robyn, while she dominated this week, has been too inconsistent.  For the men, I think Nick's the only one with a potential winning edit.  Benjamin's been too quiet in the early editing and has only just now started to pop up, and Milly and Van's loudness and obnoxiousness is not something Ramsay wants representing his brand, I don't think.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

Damn!  Robyn actually stepped up her game this week!  Good for her!

If it's based on this particular service, it should've been Barbie or, as much as I hate to admit it, Michelle.  The raw food that threw them off was their fault.  But Manda made her own contribution to the loss, too, and her own body of work was weaker than Michelle, Barbie, Jennifer, Dana, and even Elise, so I think her ouster is actually quite justifiable.  But with her goes the last of HK15's representation.

At this point, if anyone seems like winner material of this bunch, I'd still say it's Dana or Jennifer if a woman wins.  I was including Barbie and Michelle in that group, too, but this episode really shot the wad for both of them, and Robyn, while she dominated this week, has been too inconsistent.  For the men, I think Nick's the only one with a potential winning edit.  Benjamin's been too quiet in the early editing and has only just now started to pop up, and Milly and Van's loudness and obnoxiousness is not something Ramsay wants representing his brand, I don't think.

I agree. The loudmouths (Van, Millie, Elise) are there for the viewers' interest/drama. I'm leaning towards Nick or Jennifer to win it all.

Has there ever been a male/female finale, my memory is slipping?

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1

I will defend Elise a little, only a little, because I don't like her, but I also don't care for the attitude from Michelle.

Michelle was openly delighted that Elise was in tears. Michelle taunted her to her face about her humiliation. As soon as Michelle realized Elise wasn't done, Michelle began playing faux nicely "oh hey check out my hair, oh hey, you're the one being unreasonable about how i mocked you to your face and we need to talk like adults about it and not the childish way you're handling it as I have been a paragon of maturity as I laughed at your tears"... I mean really, it was a pretty classic example of Michelle wanting to be a bitch without any consequences. Michelle honey? You burnt that bridge when you kept pointing out her tears, she's not going to back off the heat now that you feel pressured by it.

That said, I still hate Elise.

• Love 9

The atmosphere on the red team seems poisonous; I think in the heat of the kitchen that nearly anyone would make mistakes. The meat temperature being off so many times felt uncharacteristic.

It is interesting to me that even with Hell's Kitchen doubling its menu for the all-star season, the cooks are failing on communication, rather than recipes.

I wish they wouldn't give Elise so much air time. She is childish and grating.

• Love 4

I'd say neither are children (and I have lost any ability to grant someone with the legal status of adulthood any free passes over their reality show behavior) and Michelle's utter fucking delight at Elise's tears didn't impress me, and her little "I've decided you need to be done being mad over it" routine was also childish.

In other words, in ten years, when Michelle is too old to b a 21 year old blameless child, she'll be another Elise.

*I don't mean to sound harsh, I am just so tired of adults under 30 getting a free pass to act like a shit head because we're infantilizing them. Michelle is not a child. Elise is not in a competition with a child. Michelle is an adult and deserves to hear how she's a childish bitch AS MUCH AS Elise deserves to hear it. Because they are both over eighteen and not children. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

Michelle is a kid tho, so I can somewhat forgive her teasing Elise. Elise is older and married, and needs to not mirror childish behavior.

Isn't Michelle 26?  That is very young, but a far cry from being a kid.  Many 26 year olds are married and have children.  How is it that she had more maturity at 22 (when she first appeared on Hell's Kitchen) than at 26?  I despise Elise and think she's an a**hole, but Michelle was acting like a teenager.  I don't think Michelle nor Elise have the maturity to run a kitchen.  They can be line cooks and that is about it.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

In other words, in ten years, when Michelle is too old to b a 21 year old blameless child, she'll be another Elise.

So Michelle now is what Elise was like 10 years ago, I assume.  Isn't pretty at the younger age, is even less pretty if someone is supposed to have matured personally and professionally.

I don’t believe for one second you have a bunch of friends, Elise.

I don’t care if she can cook the best out of everyone in the entire world, she needs to go.  She is heinous.  I could never spend more than four minutes with her without wanting to stab her in the throat.

Everyone IS there to win.  Everyone KNOWS it’s a competition.  That doesn’t mean you have to go out of your way to be the biggest bitch in the universe.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I don’t believe for one second you have a bunch of friends, Elise.

I don’t care if she can cook the best out of everyone in the entire world, she needs to go.  She is heinous.  I could never spend more than four minutes with her without wanting to stab her in the throat.

Everyone IS there to win.  Everyone KNOWS it’s a competition.  That doesn’t mean you have to go out of your way to be the biggest bitch in the universe.

I'd never in a million years compete on a show like this, but IF I DID no amount of producer prodding could get me to perform like Elise.  She was awful the first go-round and she's intolerable now.  It's people like her who have turned HK into a sideshow.  It isn't about cooking - it's about sword swallowers and alligator boys.  I still watch because Gordon is such a hoot and really knows how to cook - but the recent bands of misfits are too hard to stomach.

If I had to pick, it would be Jennifer or maybe Nick.

• Love 10

The beard braid makes me want to vom.

I would have liked to hear more about the caviar. California?!? Who knew?

The botox-faced singer was an ass for repeatedly laughing at the red team getting yelled at.

That's all I got.

• Love 4

So, I would never act this way, but I would also not be on a reality show. That said, Elise may not have the moral high ground but...

On competative reality shows, especially those run by Gordon Ramsey, being the biggest bitch in the universe who doesn't give a shit about making friends is usually a plus. I mean, here's the reality. Fuck the job at Gordan's restaurant (its mostly been a crock anyway, only Christine seems to have continued on as one of Gordon's employees) - there's 250k at stake. I don't know that I would especially care about making friends with strangers either in a competition for that kind of money.

The question is whether Elise is more wrong to say "fuck you, I'm not here to be your friend, I want to win" or if her fellow competitors with their "Well, lets bond as a team because we're doing this together" all while secretly and not so secretly noting it's a competition and they want to win, are more wrong. 

For the record -  I don't see anyone in this season proudly stating "I'm about to win, but Gordon? The power of our friendship is too important, so I resign and want my competitor and friend to win".

On an aside, I also find Millie's beard gross and ugly. 

• Love 3

At the time the singer showed up, GR should have already realized that the Blue Team had their act together and that the Red Team was floundering. He should have put the singer at the Blue Chef's table. The only reason to put him at the Red one was so he could laugh at them

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:58 AM, PhysNerd said:

Isn't Michelle 26?  That is very young, but a far cry from being a kid.  Many 26 year olds are married and have children.  How is it that she had more maturity at 22 (when she first appeared on Hell's Kitchen) than at 26?  I despise Elise and think she's an a**hole, but Michelle was acting like a teenager.

In (very slight) fairness to Michelle, I think she's unfortunately been caught up in Elise's hugely negative, toxic energy.  It seems like that woman can make even the most poised, reasonable person unleash their worst.  Michelle had been nothing but kind, mature, and polite until now, thanks to Elise.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Elise was complaining that Michelle is a yappy dog, I just laughed out loud. Elise is FAR more a yappy annoying little dog type, constantly running her jaw but not saying anything meaningful and just deliberately poking at people. 

Yeah, Elise is the biggest motor mouth in the history of this show, but she will probably be around until final three or four because HK is all about conflict. I would bet that most viewers are sick and tired of her, but that's probably not how GR and the producers see it.

The Red Team this year seems out to prove the cliché that any team of women will be torn apart by cat fighting and bitchiness. But about 90% of that can probably be attributed to Elise's toxic personality.

The Blue Team's service was one of the few times we've ever seen a team functionally smoothly and working together, as you would expect in a professional kitchen. But how long will it last? Since I believe this show is largely scripted, I expect a "surprise twist" of the men having a falling out and the women getting their act together.

If there really is a head chef's job going to the winner, there are only a few people who seem to have the emotional maturity for the role. Millie's getting a strong build-up now, but I don't put him in that category. His endless boasting and self-promotion is really annoying.

I liked Manda, but she was relatively drama free and not one of the "big personalities." That's the real reason she was chosen to get the boot this week.

• Love 6

I posted this in the Food Network Star thread, but it’s also applicable here for the idiots who call themselves chef. From Cory Bahr, a public post, from a guy who didn’t win but also didn’t try to whine or make excuses.

Becoming a chef has been a 20 + year endeavor. More hours than I like to think about. Lots of not great decisions, successes, fun, heartache but all the while trying to do the best I could to please people. My goal was to become the best chef I could be, I’m still working on that but being a chef was always my goal. Which brings me to my point of people who detract from my chosen profession by arbitrarily calling themselves chef this or that. Simply because you were on an episode of some show on tv or can pull off an occasional dinner party a that does not make you a chef. I can buy a cape and tights but that won’t make me Superman, I’d just be a dude in tights. Thanks for your time, rant over.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, preeya said:

Has there ever been a male/female finale, my memory is slipping?

Yes.  HK3 had Rock vs. Bonnie.  HK4 had Christina vs. Petrozza.  HK5 had Danny vs. Paula.  HK7 had Holli vs. Jay.  HK8 had Nona vs. Russell.  HK10 had Christina vs. Justin.  And the most recent one was HK13, which had LaTasha vs. Bryant.  All winners of each matchup were mentioned first.

The other nine completed seasons had same-sex finales.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Star Aristille said:

Yes.  HK3 had Rock vs. Bonnie.  HK4 had Christina vs. Petrozza.  HK5 had Danny vs. Paula.  HK7 had Holli vs. Jay.  HK8 had Nona vs. Russell.  HK10 had Christina vs. Justin.  And the most recent one was HK13, which had LaTasha vs. Bryant.  All winners of each matchup were mentioned first.

The other nine completed seasons had same-sex finales.

Thanks. I guess the male/female finals never actually registered with me. That said I'll predict Nick vs. Jennifer.

• Love 3

The ultimate fan crowd pleaser should be when GR hands out the black jackets. The last pair awaiting the call should be Michelle and Elise. Then Gordan's managerial skills should kick in and send Elise packing. Rationale: why would he ever want anyone as volatile as her managing "normal" people in his employ?

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

Gordon may keep Elise around for the show drama, and if she wins let her be a chef at his restaurant. I'm pretty sure he knows she'll implode and get fired quickly, so no damage done and tv ratings up. 

I've been to four of Gordon's restaurants.  With the prices they charge, I must respectfully disagree with you . . . he's not going to let her ruin ONE MEAL at any of his restaurants just because he wants the show drama.  He may let her come in second, but she's not going to be hired to work for him as anything more than a dishwasher.

I've actually seen HK winners working at two of the Las Vegas restaurants.  Christina was working hard as expeditor at the excellent GR Steakhouse at the Paris hotel.  Scott was working at the GR Pub and Grill at Caeser's.  We happened to go there just as he was coming on duty one day, and when I mentioned to the server what a fan I was of Scott's on the show, she went back to the kitchen and told him . . . and he came out personally to say hello and thank me for my kind words.  The server told me that everyone who worked there adored Scott.

Bottom line - everything in the real world of Gordon Ramsay restaurants is top-notch.  There is no drama - for which I am grateful.

• Love 9

Bottom line - everything in the real world of Gordon Ramsay restaurants is top-notch.  There is no drama - for which I am grateful.

Which is why Elise or any other "off-kilter" contestant will not win HK.

• Love 3

After this episode. I have given up on Milly.  During his season, he seemed mostly quiet and respectful and I liked him despite the awful beard.  This season he has seemed to me to get louder and more arrogant and foul-mouthed every episode which, I assume, is what he's really like.  Speaking of his beard, how is it that he has a long icky braid hanging down during rewards but not during service?  Is there such thing as a beard extension he can put on and take off or are the rewards really not filmed when they say they are?

So now I guess I'll pull for Jennifer and Benjamin.  I don't even mind Van too much.  He's not a type I'd want to spend time around but at least he's usually cheerful.  I can't stand Elise OR Michelle so I hope they both get sent packing soon.

• Love 3

s

On 12/2/2017 at 1:47 PM, NowVoyager said:

The beard braid makes me want to vom.

I would have liked to hear more about the caviar. California?!? Who knew?

The botox-faced singer was an ass for repeatedly laughing at the red team getting yelled at.

That's all I got.

Ca has sturgeon in Lake Shasta.  Ca caviar could be from there.

• Love 1
On 12/3/2017 at 2:56 PM, jewel21 said:

I think he ties it and hides it in his short beard hair or something so it's not as noticeable.

I just don't see how he hides it. I think it would still be visible. I'm a big fan of beards, but it's just not the best look for a chef. They shed. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, malaluna said:

I just don't see how he hides it. I think it would still be visible. I'm a big fan of beards, but it's just not the best look for a chef. They shed. 

Well, we never see a hairnet on any of the competitors (male or female) with long hair, so why would they bother with a beard net?  Honestly, the little old guy who hands out samples at our Sam's Club has to wear a covering over his beard . . . but these people who want to work in a high-end restaurant just let their hair fly????

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Well, we never see a hairnet on any of the competitors (male or female) with long hair, so why would they bother with a beard net?  Honestly, the little old guy who hands out samples at our Sam's Club has to wear a covering over his beard . . . but these people who want to work in a high-end restaurant just let their hair fly????

Not that it pertains to this show, but whatever happened to chef's hats. I never see them anymore and I always thought the chef's hat was a big deal that gave them "rite of passage."

• Love 1
On 12/2/2017 at 9:13 AM, AZChristian said:

I was just surprised to see that Elise actually worked during the punishment.  I think she knows that the others are tired enough of her that they'll collectively throw her under the bus for any reason.

I'd help.

This has always been Elise, which is why those who sat through her the first time around understood why people would be annoyed at her.  She picks screeching fights with everyone when they get mad over her "I'm not going to lift a finger to help you when the glory redounds to "the team", and would in fact prefer that none of you noticed I don't plan on expending any energy until the numbers are so low we only have to start worrying about making it to 'final two'" schtick.

• Love 2