Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Gunner

OK I'm totally shipping Karen/Frank that scene at the water was fantastic. 

Frank/Micro are so much fun I love their antagonistic Odd Couple Partnership.

I'm loving Nadoni and that Nadoni/Karen scene was wonderful. I can't get over how much I've grown to love Karen since early S1 Daredevil (didn't like her much) but, she is a great character.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Frank/Micro are so much fun I love their antagonistic Odd Couple Partnership.

I'm loving Nadoni and that Nadoni/Karen scene was wonderful. I can't get over how much I've grown to love Karen since early S1 Daredevil (didn't like her much) but, she is a great character.

I often feel like I'm alone in loving Karen, but I do. Part of it is I like Wohl, in general.  People get on her because she's kind of impulsive and tends to step in stuff. I like that she is slightly unhinged and she goes out and pushes stuff. And she and Bernthal have great chemistry. Even in that diner scene in S2 of DD when he was telling her she was in love with Murdock, they sparked.

I actually hope Karen teams up with Trish from Jessica Jones, after they talked in that scene in the Defenders. The two of them can do an investigative radio show/podcast thing. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Andrew Wiggin said:

I fell out of my Chair at the Micro/Frank  Sandwitch Scene in the Van rofl ^^

I'm surprised at how much comedy is in this show. It's not a laugh riot but, they've thrown a few humorous moments in most of the episodes which surprised me.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Andrew Wiggin said:

That was the second sandwich thing with Frank too. He accepted a sandwich in the first episode too. He looked so angry that Micro had hidden the sandwich AND not made him one. I thought it was a fun character beat for both of them. I kinda wonder if it was unscripted.

• Love 2

Hey, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio!  Always great seeing her.  Although her character is really going to regret grooming Rawlins to be her replacement.

Karen's back!  And Dinah is so onto her.  Still enjoying the relationship between Frank and Karen and the chemistry between Jon Bernthal and Deborah Ann Woll.

Completely unsurprising that Dinah and Russo hook-up.

The Frank/David pairing and their bickering is continuing to grow on me.

• Love 3

Loving this series so far, but was anyone else really uncomfortable with Frank brutally killing a bunch of U.S.soldiers like that? I mean, that were probably not in on any conspiracy, they were probably just sent by the CIA and told that were going to neutralize a national security threat. Even being an extra-judiciary hit-squad, they weren't that much different than what Frank was doing in Afghanistan, our even what he's doing now. Yeah,they were trying to kill him, but if down the road we see a SWAT team closing in on Frank using lethal force, is it going to be OK if Frank kills them? The Punisher kills bad guys and criminals, I'm not sure if they would fit the bill for that.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, moonshine71 said:

Loving this series so far, but was anyone else really uncomfortable with Frank brutally killing a bunch of U.S.soldiers like that? 

They weren't U.S. Soliders. They had to be off the books so the Bad CIA guy could get away with it. I'm guessing Mercenaries.

• Love 2
On 11/19/2017 at 1:23 PM, Andrew Wiggin said:

I told my husband the two of them bickering over David not making Frank a sandwich was everything I never knew I needed.  That was golden.  "The stuff was in the fridge."  Implied:  "I'm not your wife, Frank.  Make your own damn sandwich."  Heeee.

• Love 3
On 11/20/2017 at 2:56 PM, moonshine71 said:

Loving this series so far, but was anyone else really uncomfortable with Frank brutally killing a bunch of U.S.soldiers like that? I mean, that were probably not in on any conspiracy, they were probably just sent by the CIA and told that were going to neutralize a national security threat. Even being an extra-judiciary hit-squad, they weren't that much different than what Frank was doing in Afghanistan, our even what he's doing now. Yeah,they were trying to kill him, but if down the road we see a SWAT team closing in on Frank using lethal force, is it going to be OK if Frank kills them? The Punisher kills bad guys and criminals, I'm not sure if they would fit the bill for that.

I'm not sure if this is a spoiler, as the entire series is out now, but it was pretty clear to me that those were 

Spoiler

ANVIL operatives, i.e. Billy's people. 

When we've seen Frank deal with cops etc, people just doing their jobs, he takes them down but doesn't kill them.

• Love 1

This was an intense episode.  Gunner was a good character.

It's small but I liked how puzzled Lieberman was with how someone would like off grid and out of a city.  Good move on his part bringing a drone, though.  And a sandwich.

I really like Karen in this series, and her interview with Madani.

• Love 1

This show should be called "The Punished," not "The Punisher," because it so far has consisted of Frank either being sad and maudlin or getting his ass kicked. Maybe we the viewers are The Punished.

On 11/20/2017 at 2:03 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

They weren't U.S. Soliders. They had to be off the books so the Bad CIA guy could get away with it. I'm guessing Mercenaries.

I hope so. They had one soldier saying something like, "I'm going to kill you!" to Frank so they made a weak attempt to clarify. But it could have been better. I had the same misgivings - were these just soldiers doing their jobs?

On 20/11/2017 at 1:31 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Hey, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio!

AND her characters name was Marian, LOL.

On 03/12/2017 at 9:13 AM, Ottis said:

This show should be called "The Punished," not "The Punisher," because it so far has consisted of Frank either being sad and maudlin or getting his ass kicked. Maybe we the viewers are The Punished.

I hope so. They had one soldier saying something like, "I'm going to kill you!" to Frank so they made a weak attempt to clarify. But it could have been better. I had the same misgivings - were these just soldiers doing their jobs?

I think for Frank things are very black and white. Trying to kill me? I’ll kill you first.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, rubinia said:

I think for Frank things are very black and white. Trying to kill me? I’ll kill you first.

I imagine if push comes to shove, most people would follow that motto.

On 03/12/2017 at 10:13 AM, Ottis said:

Even if they were soldiers, coming onto the US property of a US citizen and kill him (not arrest him) without giving him any opportunity to surrender isn't really a soldier's job, so it is a good indication that they were bad guys.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Even if they were soldiers, coming onto the US property of a US citizen and kill him (not arrest him) without giving him any opportunity to surrender isn't really a soldier's job, so it is a good indication that they were bad guys.

To be fair, he and Gunner were resisting so even good soldiers might have been shooting to kill. I’m just saying the show didn’t make it clear that Frank knew who those soldier-like men were. We’re having to assume what he might have assumed. 

I really want to like this series -- I enjoyed the other 5 Marvel TV shows.  But I just can't get into it.  It's SO violent and so bleak.  I hate that they left that guy in the forrest unburied (though I understand, plot-wise, why Frank could not honor his promise) and that sex scene just made me sad for the actress because it was so gratuitous.  I think I'm done with this series and that's a shame. 

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

Can we just ship off Karen into The Punisher.  She just meshes so well with Frank.

The sex scene, didn't mind it, it just felt so tacked on, out of place.

Loved Karen and Madani, and Frank/Lieberman in the van.

Are Russo/Rawling going to be revealed as coconspirators?

On 11/20/2017 at 7:56 AM, moonshine71 said:

I thought about this too as I was watching. I got the feeling this was an off book mission like the ones that Frank used to participate in which I thought was a nice parallel. The same thing with these guys not questioning the mission, just doing it. Still, it bothered me and I think it was supposed to.

Really enjoyed this episode, I had not been that excited about the show until this one, now can't wait to watch the rest. I love the Frank and Karen scenes. I don't necessarily need them to get together but I just love their scenes, they just spark together. They were the best part about Daredevil II also. 

Frank and Micro's odd couple relationship is really fun too. I just wish Micro would shave off that scraggly beard and cut that funky hair. He's so good looking. Sorry, I'm shallow, he's my eye candy in this show. 

I'm glad they've had Karen vouch for Frank here, saying he is honorable and has a code.  And that they show Frank being a decent guy with her, Madani, and Micro's family.  They needed to undo the damage they did to the character with his torture of Micro in episode 3.  Frank's the main character, and no matter how tough he is, he needs to be likable on some level.

• Love 1

I thought one of the most interesting aspects of Daredevil and The Punisher was Frank's relationship with Karen Page.  I hope they continue and expand on that in Daredevil season 3 and The Punisher season 2.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2
On 3/10/2018 at 2:19 AM, rmontro said:

I'm glad they've had Karen vouch for Frank here, saying he is honorable and has a code.  And that they show Frank being a decent guy with her, Madani, and Micro's family.  They needed to undo the damage they did to the character with his torture of Micro in episode 3.  Frank's the main character, and no matter how tough he is, he needs to be likable on some level.

I completely agree. I know some people can handle if the main character is unlikable, but I'm not one of those people.

However, the fact that Frank didn't immediately ask about Gunner when he woke up seemed like the antithesis of how they've been writing Frank lately. That part didn't sit well with me. Why didn't the writer add a simple line in there to make it more in keeping with the character?

Ugh. The whole Madani storyline can get lost out in the woods for all I care. I haven't seen any redeeming qualities about her character. Obviously, Mr. CIA Blacksite is evil and combine that with a selfish, promotion-hungry DHS agent and the show is a little lopsided for me at the moment.

I like Karen more on this show when she's acting as a stern but firm conscience rather than yelling about it like she did on Daredevil. The actress has the chops to pull off dramatic nuance. I hope we continue to see this side of Karen more. I also loved how she stood toe-to-toe with Madani. She maintained eye contact at all times to make sure to let Madani know she couldn't be intimidated.

• Love 1
On 12/7/2017 at 11:13 AM, rubinia said:

Late to the party but I agree, while he didn't go out to say kill Agent Madani when she was down collateral damage doesn't stop Frank. He was introduced in Daredevil

Spoiler

shooting the Devil of Hell's Kitchen in the head, not knowing the armor would save a fellow vigilante

On 11/17/2017 at 4:26 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

Hubby and I are rewatching Punisher right now and I noticed this time around that Frank leans in and kisses Karen on the cheek when he tells her he needs her to stay away from him because he can't let her get killed because of him. Oh, my aching heart.

Edited by Taryn74