Type keyword(s) to search

S35.E08: Playing with the Devil

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

On 11/16/2017 at 9:13 PM, ICantDoThatDave said:
On 11/16/2017 at 5:42 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

I still don't understand this.   It's got to have been edited out.  It wouldn't have been the first time on this show that some crucial event wasn't televised.

[I can't figure out how to multiquote - I intended to quote more people's disbelief]

According to Probst, they did *not* comment on it.  He wishes they did.  It would've made for great TV drama, so I believe it, 'cause I also think it would've made for great drama.

Yes, I believe it now too. But wow that's so hard to understand.  How can they be paying so little attention if they're actually trying to win, which at this point, it seems all the people left are doing.  Bated breath for next week.

On 11/16/2017 at 9:56 PM, North of Eden said:

Hats off for this though...you could NOT have more perfectly scripted a homage to one of my favorite movies IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD with the digging up the idol under the flag. It hearkened back to the cream of early 1960's entertainment gathered under THE BIG W and digging for the money. The flag falling over was even a node to the fire truck ladder going out of control flinging the stars. Great movie...loved the SURVIVOR riff on it!

Ha! completely agree.  Next season howza bout an homage to the final scene of The Magic Christian?

On 11/17/2017 at 9:46 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Cole did nothing against the rules there. People have actually done far worse when trying to get idols.

NaOnka tried to rip off Kelly Bruno's artificial leg (!!!??!!) when they were wrestling over a HII in Nicaragua.

• Love 1
On 11/16/2017 at 0:03 PM, backformore said:

chuckle all you want, but the way to spread germs is not by ingesting a little dirt.  It's by ingesting something that someone else touched with hands, mouth, or something that touched their mouth.  

Hands are definitely the major issue, but not so much in terms of mouth contact.

Think in terms of the opposite end of the GI track.

As in - these people are wiping their asses with leaves held in those hands, people.  Welcome to E. coli central.

On 11/17/2017 at 9:47 AM, blackwing said:

I'm curious as to whether others are buying Joe's assertion that Ben is the driving force that is calling all the shots.  I wonder if Joe himself thinks that or if it's just fueled by his dislike for Ben.  

I’d say neither.  Joe simply thinks Ben would be a formidable (unbeatable?) opponent to sit beside at F2, so Joe will go to whatever lengths he can to paint as large a target on Ben’s back as possible.

• Love 1
On 11/17/2017 at 6:37 AM, azshadowwalker said:

Cole is a piece of shit and so is Ben in the physical confrontation with Chrissy. Two men attacking one woman over a fucking idol. Both of these guys are mentally unstable and need institutions until they can act like human beings, ffs. Although, I am sure it's the fault of the Evil Old Woman, so I probably should be nice to Those Poor Boys. 

Er - I thought Ben was trying to push/pull Cole off Chrissy, not attack her.

On 11/16/2017 at 1:42 PM, amazingracefan said:

Cole put the spaghetti on an apron which doesn't make much sense anyway. 

This is Cole we’re talking about - so of course it doesn’t make sense. 

Cole is very pretty to look at, but has about as much strategic savvy as a pissed-on rock.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Nashville said:

Hands are definitely the major issue, but not so much in terms of mouth contact.

Think in terms of the opposite end of the GI track.

As in - these people are wiping their asses with leaves held in those hands, people.  Welcome to E. coli central.

The E. coli thing is why I used to believe they must give the cast secret porta-potties, but I've since been convinced otherwise.  But I don't know how their legal dept. signs off on true jungle pooping alone.  I have to wonder if in addition to sunscreen and meds they get some access to hand sanitizer?  Sea pooping would be less unhygienic but pretty unsafe in the dark.  They must at least have a primitive hole-type latreen because leaving human poop lying around is pretty dangerous, and despite it appearing like they have square miles of land to themselves, I think it's more like acres.  Then again didn't someone accuse Stephen of pooping too close to the firewood pile?  Ick.  Maybe they do have them poop near camp and then shovel it into the fire for hygiene.  I don't know but it bugs me.  Heh.

12 hours ago, Nashville said:

This is Cole we’re talking about - so of course it doesn’t make sense. 

Cole is very pretty to look at, but has about as much strategic savvy as a pissed-on rock.

While putting the spaghetti on the apron was a weird choice, I thought it was dumber that Chrissy saw the original plate and then remarked she must be the first to have seen it.  It was clearly dirty from spaghetti, not just serving as a charger.  

1 minute ago, enoughcats said:

More than a week. 

And when it gets reintroduced, oh boy, chatterbox on parade,and sleep at some date to be determined in the future.

LOL!  Time to clean out drawers.  

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:02 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I figure they told her in the re-vote booth itself, too.  They don't have to stop taping.  They just whisper 'push a sheet off the table and pretend to put something in the urn and go back'.  

My guess is they left her a note explaining the next move. She then put the note in the urn and 86'd the extra parchment, per their instructions.

i find pagoning happens if it's 3 tribes or two

basically it's one group vs. the other group and pick pickpick. i find there tends to be more dramatics with a two tribe (because you can have mini fractions that can actually do something vs. a tiny group that you have to somehow make 'even' with more tribe shenanigans. 

2 hours ago, Daisy said:

i find pagoning happens if it's 3 tribes or two

basically it's one group vs. the other group and pick pickpick. i find there tends to be more dramatics with a two tribe (because you can have mini fractions that can actually do something vs. a tiny group that you have to somehow make 'even' with more tribe shenanigans. 

In a boring 3-tribe season, it can settle down into a pagonging, but the unpredictability at the merge is usually still there. Also because when there are three tribes, you've only got a 1-in-3 chance of going to tribal council, you're more likely to get people/tribes (whether original or shuffled) who've never been to TC come merge time, so you get more opportunity for fractures in what would seemingly be very tight alliances. YMMV, of course, and I don't think *all* 3-tribe seasons are good, by a long shot. This one has certainly not been very exciting at all, thus far. 

• Love 1
On 11/18/2017 at 7:43 PM, Nashville said:

Perhaps, which would make his intentions better, but I am not sure. I think it's kind of silly to try to "save" someone when your actions are more likely to cause injury. I recently had this argument IRL with my husband. And they all ran down only because of the idol. It was a fight between the men over the idol, which knocked Chrissy over. Because both were doing their macho thing without thinking about the repercussions. 

And I don't care if it's been done before. It's a crappy thing to do, and physical confrontation outside challenges should be banned. Someone will get fucked up someday, and everyone will ask why production ever allowed it to happen. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, eel2178 said:

My guess is they left her a note explaining the next move. She then put the note in the urn and 86'd the extra parchment, per their instructions.

Since they were planning to split the votes, I don't see any reason a producer wouldn't tell her, during the talking heads, "Just FYI, if there's a revote, you still don't have a vote, OK?  You can't vote at all this tribal if you use your advantage." 

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:43 PM, Nashville said:

Or snot on a rock (trademark Padma from Top Chef about a contestant's dish (manbun Phillip)).

I feel like Chrissy also had little incentive to remain in the fray except as a cover for Ryan so she probably didn't feel all that pressured or threatened.  She knew Cole wasn't going to find anything, and neither was she.  

14 hours ago, MissEwa said:

In a boring 3-tribe season, it can settle down into a pagonging, but the unpredictability at the merge is usually still there. Also because when there are three tribes, you've only got a 1-in-3 chance of going to tribal council, you're more likely to get people/tribes (whether original or shuffled) who've never been to TC come merge time, so you get more opportunity for fractures in what would seemingly be very tight alliances. YMMV, of course, and I don't think *all* 3-tribe seasons are good, by a long shot. This one has certainly not been very exciting at all, thus far. 

very true. 
I mean, to be fair there have been a lot of good 3 tribe ones. and some crap 2 tribe ones. I just think for me personally - the more people on a tribe the more tribe dynamics you can get (sort like a mini merge dynamic). with 3 i just feel it's too small at times.. 

My problem with three tribes is that there is always one that is essentially ignored. When there are two tribes we at least have an opportunity to see both tribes and all of the contestants. Some individuals are ignored but at least the people are seen in the background and you get a feel for who they might be working with. The lack of air time seems to be greatly exasperated when you add a third tribe. And it further encourages targeting a "nerd" or an "older player" because you have fewer people to target and fewer people to work with. So in a tribe with four younger people and two older people, like Chrissy's original tribe, the immediate targets are the older folks and there is hardly anything they can do about it. There is limited room for maneuvering.  

• Love 3

Fishback on RHAP said that production covers all possibilities when there is an advantage and they inform the player who has it beforehand as to what their moves should be.

Regarding not commenting on only 10 votes: Desi said in interviews they were all really tired and hungry so they didn't notice it, or at least she didn't. In my opinion it's a psychological issue; you don't notice something you don't know has the possibility to happen. I mean, it has never happened before that there are less votes counted which the players didn't know so there was no reason to pay attention and count them.

It seems though that somehow and some time someone notices because Desi said that she hadn't noticed "until someone came to Ponderosa and told her".

• Love 4
15 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

Perhaps, which would make his intentions better, but I am not sure. I think it's kind of silly to try to "save" someone when your actions are more likely to cause injury. I recently had this argument IRL with my husband. And they all ran down only because of the idol. It was a fight between the men over the idol, which knocked Chrissy over. Because both were doing their macho thing without thinking about the repercussions. 

And I don't care if it's been done before. It's a crappy thing to do, and physical confrontation outside challenges should be banned. Someone will get fucked up someday, and everyone will ask why production ever allowed it to happen. 

This was about Ben.  Chrissy first called out to JP for help because Cole was physically stronger than her but he just stood there like the bump on the log he is.

So Ben, one of her closest allies, rushed in to help her instead and try to get the idol for them as well which he would assume she was desperately fighting Cole for.  And like people said above, he didn't even touch her.  Ben was totally the good guy from Chrissy's pov in this scenario.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, himela said:

Fishback on RHAP said that production covers all possibilities when there is an advantage and they inform the player who has it beforehand as to what their moves should be.

Regarding not commenting on only 10 votes: Desi said in interviews they were all really tired and hungry so they didn't notice it, or at least she didn't. In my opinion it's a psychological issue; you don't notice something you don't know has the possibility to happen. I mean, it has never happened before that there are less votes counted which the players didn't know so there was no reason to pay attention and count them.

It seems though that somehow and some time someone notices because Desi said that she hadn't noticed "until someone came to Ponderosa and told her".

Or someone goes to Ponderosa because Lauren played the advantage and they get voted out and tell the people at Ponderosa about the advantage.

There are plenty of times that Jeff doesn't read all of the votes so people might not bother with counting votes because there is a good chance that not all the votes are going to be read. Normally all the votes are read when there is a tie but they might not all be read when the third person, Lauren, does not get enough votes to make it a three way tie.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

while i can see your point - I will point out more people get fucked up during the challenges, vs. playing tug and war over an idol/advantage clue. in fact I can count on one hand how many Idol wars they have been, and  maybe need my toes to point out all injured players (including needing removal from the game).  

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Daisy said:

while i can see your point - I will point out more people get fucked up during the challenges, vs. playing tug and war over an idol/advantage clue. in fact I can count on one hand how many Idol wars they have been, and  maybe need my toes to point out all injured players (including needing removal from the game).  

Remember that poor girl who broke her wrist on the very first challenge and had to leave the game?  Can you imagine?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

There are plenty of times that Jeff doesn't read all of the votes so people might not bother with counting votes because there is a good chance that not all the votes are going to be read.

Yeah, I agree with this. Since it's never happened before (and for the other reasons mentioned above), I give the players a pass on not realizing there was a vote missing.

But after this season, when this gimmick will be a known possibility, there's no excuse!

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I also love the unlikely duos like Chrissy/Ryan and Malcolm/Denise.  Devon/Ryan was interesting for a minute there, too.  I know Tocantins isn't widely loved here but I loved the JT/Stephen duo.  Rudy/Hatch is another great one.  

I agree, and I would add Jeremy and Natalie.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I also love the unlikely duos like Chrissy/Ryan and Malcolm/Denise.  Devon/Ryan was interesting for a minute there, too.  I know Tocantins isn't widely loved here but I loved the JT/Stephen duo.  Rudy/Hatch is another great one.  

I agree, and I would add Jeremy and Natalie.

Cirie/Aras was another great unlikely pairing. Had the F4 fire challenge gone Cirie's way, that alliance with Aras might have been her ticket to a million dollars. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Special K said:

Remember that poor girl who broke her wrist on the very first challenge and had to leave the game?  Can you imagine?

Courtney Moon. 

yup. (but apparently according to Jeff and several people it was because she didn't do what she was supposed to do - she actually did what she was specifically told not to do, which resulted into the broken wrist. it still sucks). ultimately, though. I don't have an issue of people wrestling for a clue/the idol. I would like to say I would not do it (and i probably wouldn't - i'd just let them have it, and then vote them out to flush it out, why wrestle for it so publicly) because i just figure.. how do you stop it from developing? like what if two people both had the clue (and they go at it Amanda/Danielle style). you call Jeff on the coconut phone and have him do eeny meeny mini mo? i know production will stop and there is some kinda rule. (again, Amanda/Danielle) 

6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Courtney Moon. 

yup. (but apparently according to Jeff and several people it was because she didn't do what she was supposed to do - she actually did what she was specifically told not to do, which resulted into the broken wrist. it still sucks).

Right!  She was jumping into a net and landed on her wrists rather than her butt.  Probably they were told to cross their arms over their chest.  I remember it now. 

There was the stupid challenge that had people tied together and dragging people around. There have been all the wrestling challenges that strike me as dangerous. There have been plenty of folks injured playing these physical games. They all cause me to cringe because it is hard enough being out there and then add in some type of overly physical competition and you are asking for trouble.

• Love 1

Count me in as one of the people who don't get the Ryan and Chrissy dislike.  I see them as my favorites- along with the surprise inclusion of Devin, who seems like someone I would dislike, but actually comes off very sweet and thoughtful. 

Lauren and (gasp) Joe are growing on me- he seems pretty self-aware regarding his actions and behavior. 

JP has the qualities Ben wishes he possessed, although Ben definitely has the bigger personality.

I liked Dr Mike at first, but he's not as interesting when he's playing from the bottom. 

Ashley needs to step it up. 

And I think we all  agree that Cole is a tool.

• Love 3
On 11/17/2017 at 11:06 AM, llewis823 said:

And one more thing - every time they have one of these big food rewards, does anyone else wonder how not having food for so long and then eating a rich, belly-filling gorge of a meal would affect their stomach and/or create bathroom issues? 

The players certainly know. When the reward was announced, Ryan even remarked something to the effect of "It's going to go right through us and I don't even care."

• Love 1