Type keyword(s) to search

Psych: THE MOVIE!

2 hours ago, ae2 said:

So much of this movie didn't make sense, it was poorly paced, jumpy, there were critical scenes and pieces of info that were just missing...

And none of that matters because it's Psych and this is one of those rare shows where none of that matters because is is pure, distilled fun!

It's just so damned fun to watch. I ignore all of that too. 

Like Gus, I believe in a solar system with 9 planets. We had a probe flyby and took high resolution pictures of Pluto. Take that, Eris! 

• Love 7

Loved the snark that Juliet would never do a Hallmark movie since Maggie stars n one that premiers this Sunday. 

Hard to watch the bits about Shawn and Jules' relationship being delayed since the two broke up in real life long ago and have moved on. *sniff*

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, jette said:

Hard to watch the bits about Shawn and Jules' relationship being delayed since the two broke up in real life long ago and have moved on. *sniff*

Eh? The relationship wasn't delayed--just the marriage. They were still together, and the subplot was that Shawn's been spending the last three years trying to find the engagement ring he proposed with. In the end, that didn't matter, and it was icing on the cake that "Ted" found the ring, and Shawn and Juliet are married now.

• Love 2

And heeeere are the Psych-Outs!!!!

Oh, you are the best---I will be watching these on constant loop in between binge watching my favorite Psych episodes this weekend! (85-90% of Psych episodes count as my "favorites", so I will  not be getting much sleep :)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well, once Juliet let Gus and Shawn in and she "confessed" to have bent the rules (which, I never saw her do on the show, but okay), and the revelation that her snitch who helped her, ended up in jail too. So it was revenge.

I struggled with this whole part of her story.  I can see it getting twisted in the snitch's head that she 'didn't play by the rules,' but I had a hard time with her beating herself up over it. I thought there was going to be some great secret revealed about how she really really did break the rules once in a big way.  I guess the thing with the Chief's daughter was supposed to be the red herring that she bends the rules? Because otherwise she's always been pretty much on the straight and narrow.  I'm sure the snitch didn't know about the incident with Iris. So all of the hand wringing felt like it was too much. (Unless she thought the whole thing was related to Iris, but she didn't seem to...)

I was another who didn't know about Lassiter's stroke so I guess I'm glad we got what little bit we did.  Since I didn't know about it, I was expecting to see him be the white knight on Alcatraz.  That would have been better than the coroner guy whom I have never liked excessively much.  I did love seeing Mary again, though. 

• Love 2

Yeah that's the only problem I had with the movie. Jules always followed the rules and would be the last person to bend them. They should have had Ying be vengeful towards Jules without the other stuff. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Popples said:

giphy.gif

I missed this show sooooooooooooooooooo much, and the movie didn't miss a beat!

Of course Gus has a Hagrid costume.

Holy crap, that's Vick's kid? Should she be that age, or did they age her up? I hope it's the latter so I don't feel old.

I really hope Gus slapping Shawn with a waffle becomes a .gif. I need it very badly.

Oh, poor Tim. It would have been great to see Lassie running around with the gang again.

Woody is still great.

Yay, Buzz! I was going to riot if he wasn't in this.

That's the most fitting wedding for Shawn.

There was a Bingo game for this. Why did I not know this?

Where was Buzz?!?! I didn’t see him!

Just now, Skyfall said:

Where was Buzz?!?! I didn’t see him!

Buzz is in Santa Barbara. Our guys are in San Francisco now. We saw him in a flashback. I'm sure if Omundson hadn't had his stroke, we probably would have seen more of Buzz.

But I was so THRILLED with this. I thought, can this movie live up to the hype? Will it feel the same? Will I like it? Love it?

1. YES! It definitely DID!

2. IT DID! IT DID!!!!

3. YES!

4. GOD YES!!!!!

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, twoods said:

He was the guy that was making all of Shawn's premonitions towards the jewelry thief come true. It was shown in flashback scenes why he believed Shawn at the end of the movie. 

I knew the IRS guy looked familiar! Didn’t pin him nor did I realize he was the ringer and sharp pains guy.

I thought Zach Levi was pretty funny in this.

Maybe I'm weird but I really enjoyed the bit of Mena repeatedly shooting him.

+1 to Jermaine as Bowie.

And of course props to the incomparable Jimmi Simpson ! 

• Love 7

I basically grew to almost hate the show towards the end of it's run because I couldn't stand Shawn and hated Shawn/Juliet, but I was still excited for the movie just for nostalgia. The first few seasons mean so much to me.

I loved everything about the first half or so. The last half was basically a mess for me, but there was still some great stuff. I loved the ending.

All the Shawn/Juliet scenes were awkward for me because of Maggie/James, but I didn't hate them as much as I did during the actual show. And I even got a big smile on my face when that guy gave Shawn the ring.

I really hope Tim is well enough to do the next movie. I really missed Lassiter as he was always my fave.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

And I even got a big smile on my face when that guy gave Shawn the ring.

You do know that “that” guy is the psycho Manny, right?? Where’s @ulkis?

And ohhhhh @DittyDotDot! Don’t tell me you didn’t see this yet??

I guess I remain confused why people (not just here) seem to think the last half was a mess. Some who “claim” to have watched this show-all seasons (not anyone here), were confused over the location-like they didn’t know that Shawn followed Juliet to San Francisco, and Gus followed Shawn after that heartbreaking goodbye dvd. OR that Lassie is CHIEF of Santa Barbara Police, so he’s not a detective anymore.???And complained that they didn’t know who these “new” people were, when frankly, Sam, Juliet’s partner, was the only newbie.??

• Love 4

Hey @GHScorpiosRule! I watched. I liked it. I think I understood why people thought the second half was a mess (Alison's scheme didn't really make sense) but since when did any of Psych's plots ever really made sense?

I didn't get all of Shawn's predictions for the fence guy coming true though. Was that Shawn in disguise?

James Roday and Dule Hill both looked really handsome, I must say.

Too little Lassiter, but that couldn't be helped. I wish they had Shawn say hello while Jules was on the phone though.

I can't believe they made that ending without knowing if they'd get to make a follow up though, darn it. I thought when I saw that there would be another one maybe next year but they don't know yet. But I guess I liked it anyway.

• Love 2

This may be because I'm usually more than willing to buy whatever this show sells me, but I didn't feel like it was that wildly out of character for Juliet to have bent the rules. She's obviously a good person, conscientious worker and very ethical overall, but to me she was never as strictly and rigidly a "by the book" detective as Lassie. We've seen that she can be extremely competitive (often with herself, lol), goal-oriented, and intensely into cases and sometimes a bit carried away in general. So I can see how in the heat of the moment she might panic at the prospect of one of 'her' perps going free and doing something (though not too terrible a something) outside the lines to prevent that from happening.

This has been a terrible year, and this movie was just the pick me up that I needed. I've often told friends this show is like an antidepressant for me, so I'm happy to have more Psych to rewatch and obsess over! 

Edited by strongercoffee
  • Love 6

I liked the movie &, of course, I'm really sorry Omundson couldn't be in it more (hopefully there'll be another movie, which will have more of him like they said). But, did anyone else think Omundson's voice sounded a little like it was computerized in places--or am I the only 1? Maybe the computer voice sounding thing was because they were supposed to have been FaceTiming (shrugs).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

You do know that “that” guy is the psycho Manny, right?? Where’s @ulkis?

I knew I knew him from somewhere! I couldn't place him so thanks for this.

I guess I remain confused why people (not just here) seem to think the last half was a mess. Some who “claim” to have watched this show-all seasons (not anyone here), were confused over the location-like they didn’t know that Shawn followed Juliet to San Francisco, and Gus followed Shawn after that heartbreaking goodbye dvd. OR that Lassie is CHIEF of Santa Barbara Police, so he’s not a detective anymore.

Hey now, I have seen every ep and I was confused on so many things lol. I'm just forgetful, I guess. People who have actually watched all the show can just not remember some things! Especially if you haven't rewatched the eps, which I didn't do for any of the last few seasons.

40 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I didn't get all of Shawn's predictions for the fence guy coming true though. Was that Shawn in disguise?

Apparently it was Buzz. I thought it might be while watching, but I wasn't sure.

Too little Lassiter, but that couldn't be helped. I wish they had Shawn say hello while Jules was on the phone though.

This.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

I liked the movie &, of course, I'm really sorry Omundson couldn't be in it more (hopefully there'll be another movie, which will have more of him like they said). But, did anyone else think Omundson's voice sounded a little like it was computerized in places--or am I the only 1? Maybe the computer voice sounding thing was because they were supposed to have been FaceTiming (shrugs).

Yes. I noticed the voice thing too.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What? What? Is it just me? I had no problem understanding what the case was about? Well, once Juliet let Gus and Shawn in and she "confessed" to have bent the rules (which, I never saw her do on the show, but okay), and the revelation that her snitch who helped her, ended up in jail too. So it was revenge.

The only thing that I thought didn't make sense was Juliet catching Iris shoplifting. I thought that might play into the main plot, but it didn't. 

And frankly, I don't think I've ever cared what the cases were about unless it affected our team personally. I've made no secret of the fact that I was going to be in regardless of the plot, just to see Shawn and Gus again. And with Franks AND James Roday writing the script, I knew it wouldn't disappoint.

I really loved Gus's "I KNOW!" to Shawn-in that high pitched voice. And "I don't care!" That was new. And I absolutely lost it when Gus said "Neooo" near the end, impersonating Tim Curry's "Neoo" when they were all speaking with British accents.

If I was disappointed in anything, it was we didn't get any "Psych-Outs" at the end--you know, the bloopers!

I must admit I haven't been able to find any gifs from the movie yet. Sigh...I am a technoturd after all, but here's some Shawn and Gus Goodness!

I'm pretty sure that was meant to set up Juliet's propensity to bend the rules based on her own sense of ethics, and which perps are "good" or "bad."

• Love 2

Okay, that was AWESOME!! They did such a great job with getting everyone they could involved; Ewan at the end was totally unexpected, but yet so very perfect! There's just so much goodness here.

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And ohhhhh @DittyDotDot! Don’t tell me you didn’t see this yet??

Sorry, I didn't until just now. It's been a very long week and this was the perfect way to end it. 

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

I thought it was due to his stroke, but now I'm not sure. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

Okay, that was AWESOME!! They did such a great job with getting everyone they could involved; Ewan at the end was totally unexpected, but yet so very perfect! There's just so much goodness here.

Sorry, I didn't until just now. It's been a very long week and this was the perfect way to end it.

I thought it was due to his stroke, but now I'm not sure. 

I thought it sounded like they used 1 of those machines like Stephen Hawking does because of his illness, where you type into it & it speaks for you, either in your own voice or in a Siri/CortanaAlexa/Other type voice, either male or female based on your gender. If his scene wasn't done that way, I just remembered another way they could've done it: by using (at least mostly) phrases Tim had said in other episodes, that they could cut & paste together & maybe add just a little new stuff to, to make a brief, but complete, conversation with Juliet.

If they needed some technological help to put Tim in the movie at all, & I know how badly he wanted to be involved, so be it. I'm not knocking it--my dad was a neurosurgeon & I have some neurological issues myself, though mine are more spinal than cerebral--I'm just pointing out that I thought parts of the conversation, on Tim's side, didn't necessarily sound "natural" to me (which I figured may have had something to do with the state of his verbal abilities, & the length of rehab time he'd had, post-stroke, by the time they put Tim & Maggie's scene together).

• Love 1

I had no idea TO had a stroke. I had heard he wasn't gonna be in it that much and I thought it was scheduling conflicts. I just thought the video chat looked a bit blurry, but other than that nothing struck me.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ulkis said:

I had no idea TO had a stroke. :( I had heard he wasn't gonna be in it much and I thought it was scheduling conflicts. I just thought the video chat looked a bit blurry, but other than that nothing struck me.

They--at least the people with Psych--really didn't publicize it that much, until time came to start talking about the movie. Tim didn't even Tweet about it until 4 weeks later--if you can see the article I'm linking to, his Tweet is on that page.

Oops! I forgot to link the article Timothy Omundson Has Stroke Before Psych: The Movie Begins Filming

Anyway, he Tweeted on May 28th & said "4 weeks ago the day before" (May 27th, so, like, the end of April), he'd had "a wee touch of the stroke". Unless there are some Psych fans with really good info sources who knew before that, Tim's Tweet was probably the first place fans/the general public knew.

According to the linked article, he got sick while traveling through Tampa Airport & was immediately hospitalized & had surgery. And he was in rehab (the kind you don't go to for addictions) & recovering since then. And, unless you follow Tim on social media you probably still didn't know about the stroke unless you were talking with someone who knows you like Psych & knew about it & told you. Because, again, the only people who were talking about it were the fans & the people working on the movie. At least until it was time to publicize the movie; then the world started to learn about it because the producers & other cast felt they had to explain why Lassie was pretty much MIA in the movie.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a link I forgot.
  • Love 4

It's just as good on re-watch, y'all!!

And, I must have missed--or forgot--the whole bit with Juliet done being nice, "Please go home! No, I'm done being nice, go home...please. No. No please, no please..." Hee!

And Gus slapping Shawn with a waffle and telling him to do him.

Seriously, too much goodness!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

It's just as good on re-watch, y'all!!

And, I must have missed--or forgot--the whole bit with Juliet done being nice, "Please go home! No, I'm done being nice, go home...please. No. No please, no please..." Hee!

And Gus slapping Shawn with a waffle and telling him to do him.

Seriously, too much goodness!

It really IS!!! And I’m just not seeing the confusion and choppiness; it just feels like they never left and made me realize even more, how much I miss this show. 

And unless my closed captioning messed up, Woody said “You Arrogant bastard!” when he showed up-and not “You Elegant bastard!” Oh well.

There’s so much goodness! How the sound Shawn hears turns out to be Pokémon Go! that Gus now uses to “manage my stress.” ???

How Poor Gus still has nightmares.

The best part where the facial expressions and mannerisms that showed me that these two are still Shawn and Gus. Like that look and neck movement Gus made when Shawn told him about the Obsrvatory having something he knew Gus would love. 

I’m going to watch it again so I can post the quotes!!!

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I’m just not seeing the confusion and choppiness; it just feels like they never left and made me realize even more, how much I miss this show. 

The only part I thought was a bit rough was the transition from Iris getting kidnapped to everyone showing up at the pier--felt somewhat shortcut from A to C, but I didn't really need to see the build up and wouldn't have wanted them to cut anything else to show us B. So, I'm cool with it.

• Love 9
On 12/8/2017 at 5:47 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I basically grew to almost hate the show towards the end of it's run because I couldn't stand Shawn and hated Shawn/Juliet, but I was still excited for the movie just for nostalgia. The first few seasons mean so much to me.

I loved everything about the first half or so. The last half was basically a mess for me, but there was still some great stuff. I loved the ending.

All the Shawn/Juliet scenes were awkward for me because of Maggie/James, but I didn't hate them as much as I did during the actual show. And I even got a big smile on my face when that guy gave Shawn the ring.

I really hope Tim is well enough to do the next movie. I really missed Lassiter as he was always my fave.

Honestly the second half might’ve been choppy/a mess because that was probably written with Lassie being there and then the stroke made them do major rewrites kinda quickly.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

They--at least the people with Psych--really didn't publicize it that much, until time came to start talking about the movie. Tim didn't even Tweet about it until 4 weeks later--if you can see the article I'm linking to, his Tweet is on that page.

Oops! I forgot to link the article Timothy Omundson Has Stroke Before Psych: The Movie Begins Filming

Anyway, he Tweeted on May 28th & said "4 weeks ago the day before" (May 27th, so, like, the end of April), he'd had "a wee touch of the stroke". Unless there are some Psych fans with really good info sources who knew before that, Tim's Tweet was probably the first place fans/the general public knew.

According to the linked article, he got sick while traveling through Tampa Airport & was immediately hospitalized & had surgery. And he was in rehab (the kind you don't go to for addictions) & recovering since then. And, unless you follow Tim on social media you probably still didn't know about the stroke unless you were talking with someone who knows you like Psych & knew about it & told you. Because, again, the only people who were talking about it were the fans & the people working on the movie. At least until it was time to publicize the movie; then the world started to learn about it because the producers & other cast felt they had to explain why Lassie was pretty much MIA in the movie.

I knew when the Movie was announced cause of comments on http://deadline.com/2017/05/psych-holiday-movie-original-cast-usa-1202087116/ and then his tweets after that (that I think are now deleted) proved it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Skyfall said:

Honestly the second half might’ve been choppy/a mess because that was probably written with Lassie being there and then the stroke made them do major rewrites kinda quickly.

I think that certainly might have something to do with it - Lassie being there for the last part would have made way more sense than Woody being there - but maybe also it was choppy because - no offense - Steve Franks was the director.  I'm sure he's a great guy, and I know he created the show, but I am wondering why they didn't go with someone more experienced.  Even James has done more directing.  I do imagine, though that given the necessity of rewrites and all the filming they had to do around everyone's schedule, and the reported need to cut costs, they may have figured that at least they didn't have to work around an outside director's schedule.

The movie was fun, and I am really glad Tim was able to make it for his scene, however all I want is for them to do at least one more when he can play Lassie as a major role again.  He is such a wonderful actor, and I do think the Psych universe needs Lassie's by the book skepticism to balance the sweetness of Shawn and Juliet and the Shawn and Gus bromance.

• Love 8

As someone who lives in the Bay Area, these things cannot go unsaid:

• Nitpick #1: there is NO coffee shop in San Francisco that doesn't know what almond milk is. When Sam said this, I immediately suspected that he was a crooked cop.
  • Nitpick #2: there is not a single Cinnabon location in San Francisco. The closest one is in San Bruno.
  • Nitpick #3: if psychphrancisco is in Chinatown (on the east side of SF) and Shawn & Gus were driving across the city, they would probably end up on the west side of SF which is where Karl the Fog resides which is why there wouldn't be any starry night telescope viewing party there.
  • Nitpick #4: highway 18 is in San Bernadino, which is about six hours from San Francisco.
  • Nitpick #5: although there's a very new monthly digital drum circle at Union Square (it just started this summer), if Henry were really going to a hippie drum circle, it would be in Golden Gate Park.
  • Nitpick #6: since Shawn isn't making much money, Juliet must be making a shitload of money in order to afford that huge (by San Francisco standards) apartment (with a huge balcony/deck to boot).
  • Nitpick #7: who the hell hopes to hatch a Jigglypuff?
  • Nitpick #8: the only real observatory in San Francisco is at SFSU, which is not on a (made up) mountain.
  • Nitpick #9: the Super Sniffer must be pretty powerful if Gus can smell Ghiradelli Square from Chinatown because it's about a mile and a half away.

Okay, now that I've gotten that all off my chest, it was so good to have Psych back on my screen! I loved seeing Shawn and Gus together again. Their friendship is always what made the show for me, and all of the love and bickering was still there.

I don't mind Juliet as a character, but I didn't love all the focus on the Shawn/Juliet relationship on the show, so I liked that most of what we saw between them was working together to solve a mystery.

While some of the ways they explained having certain characters show up were a little clunky, I don't care. I think that the most awkward one was the explanation for Ralph Macchio's character. I was fine with Shawn having a dream about Mary, and the explanation about how Woody got fired for leaving a chili dog in a cadaver sounded like something he would do.

I'm glad they were able to find a way to include TO without overly taxing him during his recovery. His talk with Juliet totally fit their characters and the situation. And I'm glad that they are going to incorporate elements of his scrapped storyline in the next movie!

The TeamGrimmie shirt was a sweet touch.

• Love 7

The only quibble I have: no Pierre Despereaux.

It was so good to see everyone again and to see them having fun. One of the things I appreciated about Psych is that they never caved to USA's destruction of all the light and fun blue sky shows with sudden tonal shifts to "dark & gritty." This team knows who they are and they've held on to their identity.

I didn't have trouble following the plot, but I did have to turn close captioning on to catch a lot of the dialogue.  Once Mary showed up, it had to be Yin-Yang connected.

Loved Zachary Levi. Still bitter about the crappy ending to Chuck.

• Love 9

This Tweet says you can watch the movie online without having to use 1 of those dumb cable log-ins (which I never seem to know or know how to find).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a word. Yes, I guess I'm a pedant.

I thought Shawn and Gus walking in the woods, thus discovering the cell tower and the old psych hospital was convenient. The only setup for that was Juliet mentioning the calls all came from the same burner phone, right?  I also thought that opening in media res was very much a signature Psych style, but waiting until halfway in to understand why was jarring. It still doesn't make sense that Shawn stole the bag, since he had already visually scanned it. Why did they need the partner's dongle (giggle) if the informant knew all these cases first-hand and had already been surveilling her?

(BTW a security dongle is not a USB drive. It doesn't have data that you erase. It's basically just a digital key. So recovering a file from it made no sense.)

So suffice to say I thought the first half was disjointed too.

I also think a Mena Suvari surprise villain climax was a mistake. If they wanted a serious story - and killing the partner / kidnapping the daughter are serious elements - she should have entered earlier to increase the drama. If they wanted a funny story - and the David Bowie informant was a funny villain - then leave yin/yang out of this. 

That said, the most important element of Psych was always the character interactions and that they got perfect. Shawn/Gus, Shawn/Jules, Juliet/Chief, Henry/Shawn  - each one felt perfectly like the characters we know and love. Even the Juliet/Lassie conversation was good - despite the need to enhance it - because there was genuine heart between them. Yes, my emotion was "good to see Tim Omundsun" rather than reassurance that Juliet's friend was checking in, but I don't think that matters so much. 

If this was an attempt to launch a new series, I'd have to say it didn't work. But to revisit old friends it was great. 

• Love 5

I liked some of the Shawn Gus stuff, or more accurately, I liked seeing Shawn and Gus together again, but everything else kind of fell flat to me. I think my favorite scene would be Gus getting his knickers in a twist about Pluto. I will never tire of Gus's love and loyalty to Pluto. 

The actual mystery...didn't care. Juliet was never a favorite so I wasn't keen on her getting so much focus. I missed Lassie, obviously, and would have liked more Henry. I love Henry. But thankfully, the Shawn Gus chemistry was still there. I have to admit, when it wasn't the two of them I didn't really watch or play much attention. And yet, I would watch a second, Halloween based movie if they chose to make one. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Nitpick #9: the Super Sniffer must be pretty powerful if Gus can smell Ghiradelli Square from Chinatown because it's about a mile and a half away.

To be fair, Gus did state that smelling distance was half the city with his nose.

• Love 3

If they do end up doing another movie, I hope they relax and slow down just a bit.  I'm more of a fan of laid back and goofy.  And TO's absence was keenly felt. Shawn has always needed either Lassie or Henry to provide some ballast. 

• Love 10
22 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

While some of the ways they explained having certain characters show up were a little clunky, I don't care. I think that the most awkward one was the explanation for Ralph Macchio's character. I was fine with Shawn having a dream about Mary, and the explanation about how Woody got fired for leaving a chili dog in a cadaver sounded like something he would do.

Not true, butterfly! He got fired for opening the cadaver back up to retrieve the chili dog. Because he took a working lunch.

20 hours ago, ZoqFotPik said:

Henry has extremely poor trigger discipline.

Yes! But so does nearly everyone else in every movie and TV show ever... it's like no one in Hollywood (or Vancouver) owns a gun or has ever taken a gun safety course!

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Amarsir said:

I thought Shawn and Gus walking in the woods, thus discovering the cell tower and the old psych hospital was convenient. The only setup for that was Juliet mentioning the calls all came from the same burner phone, right?  I also thought that opening in media res was very much a signature Psych style, but waiting until halfway in to understand why was jarring. It still doesn't make sense that Shawn stole the bag, since he had already visually scanned it. Why did they need the partner's dongle (giggle) if the informant knew all these cases first-hand and had already been surveilling her?

(BTW a security dongle is not a USB drive. It doesn't have data that you erase. It's basically just a digital key. So recovering a file from it made no sense.)

So suffice to say I thought the first half was disjointed too.

I also think a Mena Suvari surprise villain climax was a mistake. If they wanted a serious story - and killing the partner / kidnapping the daughter are serious elements - she should have entered earlier to increase the drama. If they wanted a funny story - and the David Bowie informant was a funny villain - then leave yin/yang out of this. 

That said, the most important element of Psych was always the character interactions and that they got perfect. Shawn/Gus, Shawn/Jules, Juliet/Chief, Henry/Shawn  - each one felt perfectly like the characters we know and love. Even the Juliet/Lassie conversation was good - despite the need to enhance it - because there was genuine heart between them. Yes, my emotion was "good to see Tim Omundsun" rather than reassurance that Juliet's friend was checking in, but I don't think that matters so much. 

If this was an attempt to launch a new series, I'd have to say it didn't work. But to revisit old friends it was great. 

They didn’t know the snitch was doing it at that time IIRC.

• Love 1

I thought Shawn and Gus walking in the woods, thus discovering the cell tower and the old psych hospital was convenient. The only setup for that was Juliet mentioning the calls all came from the same burner phone, right? 

They knew that all the calls were coming from a burner phone that was pinging a specific cell tower near Highway 18, so they were out in the woods looking for the tower to see what was nearby aka where the caller was when he placed the calls. They assumed there would be houses nearby but when Shawn looked at the map, the only thing nearby was the old psych hospital. 

• Love 3

BTW a security dongle is not a USB drive. It doesn't have data that you erase. It's basically just a digital key. So recovering a file from it made no sense.

Well, it is a digital key, but can be on a USB drive. I think they were using the word dongle as shorthand for a "digital key stored on a USB drive". So, they didn't recover the file from the dongle, but from the drive itself. Which, the partner had been looking into this for a while, so it makes sense he might put the file on the USB drive with his dongle.

Why did they need the partner's dongle (giggle) if the informant knew all these cases first-hand and had already been surveilling her?

They weren't using it to get information on the cases--that was all in their manifesto--I thought they stole the drive more because it contained the information Juliet's partner had collected so far on them. 

• Love 4