Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E17: In Sod We Trust

GreatKazu
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Booted said:

And having a good heart or trying does not qualify for taking your daughters child and keeping it when she has her act together more than your other grown children and for that matter you did at her same age.

I’m a little confused by this, maybe I just need clarification on the pronouns.  Does this sentence mean Jenelle has her act together more than her siblings and more than Barbara did when she was Jenelle’s age?

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, poopchute said:

I’m a little confused by this, maybe I just need clarification on the pronouns.  Does this sentence mean Jenelle has her act together more than her siblings and more than Barbara did when she was Jenelle’s age?

Yes 

10 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I realize I'm late to the party with this question as it was probably asked - and answered - years ago, but:

What would have happened if Barb had refused to take care of Jace, waited until Jenelle left the house to party, and then either called the police or CPS? Wouldn't Jace have been immediately been put in the foster care system? I'm just wondering how that scenario would have ultimately played out long-term. If Jenelle knew Barb wasn't going to take responsibility for Jace at all, and she'd already been reported for neglect and Jace had been taken away, at that point wouldn't she more or less be forced to either shape up or agree to have Jace adopted?

Yes she would have probably lost him for a while or maybe forever if she wasn't able to comply with what the state wanted her to do.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ghoulina said:

Except Barb didn't take Jace. Jenelle willingly signed him over. She only began to try and get him back when she was Nathan, because she had this idea of playing happy family. It took her YEARS to actually get her butt in court and the court STILL did not side with her. I don't think having 3 babies by 3 different dads and marrying a man with a history of domestic violence qualifies as "having your act together".

No it is following in her mothers footsteps. 

As I see it there is one thing all these dysfunctional problematic individuals have in common- Barb. 

We can make up scenarios all day about UBT and Jenelle - how about Mike Barbs boyfriend ? 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Booted said:

No it is following in her mothers footsteps. 

For all her faults, Barb raised her own kids. And raised them through a hellish relationship at that. She never turned them over for someone else to raise or went on heroin benders while her mother took care of Jenelle and her sibs. Barb isn't a saint, but Jace would be lucky if Jenelle put half the effort into raising him that Barb put into her kids.

• Love 18
6 hours ago, CofCinci said:

I sort of give MTV a pass for hiding TR Dues. Let’s face it, WV is a very racist region.  Even in 2015, his safety would be at risk for being in an interracial relationship. 

Even if they had hidden him, my main issue was Leah's season long "poor me, I'm a single mom who's got nobody" tirade. Whatever, Leah. We all knew!

• Love 11
1 minute ago, HeySandyStrange said:

I'm no expert, but my understanding of the hypothetical situation of Barb not caring for Jace and him ending up in foster care is that, it would likely take many, many, many years before the state we legally terminate Jenelle's parental rights, as long as she refused to surrender him outright. Therefore he'd be bounced between foster homes and back to Jenelle, if she bothered in those years to take him. It would take many years of Jenelle fucking up, neglecting and abusing him, then losing him to system multiple times before she would have lost him permanently. That is just from my limited knowledge, maybe someone who has insight into the child protective system and courts can give better insight.

Also, it is not fair at all the compare Jenelle's brother unfavorably to her. He has, according to Jenelle's own words, a severe, possibly schizoid related mental illness. Mental illnesses in that category are devastating and debilitating. It is not the case of being an dysfunctional asshole, like Jenelle and possibly her sister Ashley are. Last I heard, he had to live in a group home, so it is not like he even gets the to have a chance to live a normal life.

Also, mental illness is often inherited, and Jenelle and her sibs have 2, not 1,   biological parents. The father was a violent alcoholic who confessed in an interview a few years ago he couldn't be bothered to try to contact his adult children. Sounds like there mental illnesses could come from him as much as Barb.

We don't know that she would have or would not have straightened up and got him permanently - she's tried pretty hard to get her mother to give her a chance but nothing is ever good enough for Barb. And how do we know Barb won't make same mistake and get another abuser in her life ? We know she's dating and looking

6 minutes ago, poopchute said:

That’s what I’m waiting for! The background info that you were referring to when you said Jenelle is more stable than Barb was at her age. I’m genuinely curious! It must be juicy if it’s worse than being a heroin addict with 15+ arrests!

Maybe stable is code word for "has more money"? Because that Jenelle does have-for now. I'd bet my weight in gold, if I had it, that Jenelle's money will dry up quick when TM2 ends and she'll be on welfare in six months or less.

We don't know that she would have or would not have straightened up and got him permanently - she's tried pretty hard to get her mother to give her a chance but nothing is ever good enough for Barb. And how do we know Barb won't make same mistake and get another abuser in her life ? We know she's dating and looking

What I remember is Jenelle drugged out and chasing after one loser after another as her mom cared for Jace. She had no real interest in having Jace until Nathan put that bug in her ear and now UBT is goading her. On her own she shows very little interest in her first child imo. If her next loser had no interest in kids and didn't want them around, not only do I believe she'd drop the custody battle with Barb, she'd drop Ensley and Kaiser in a hot second with the first people to catch them.

Edited by HeySandyStrange
  • Love 21
3 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Do we put any blame on their FATHER? Who abused Barb and then abandoned them all? Maybe the damage was done, early on, because of that asshole. 

And who chose to stay and have 3 children with this person ? Not Jenelle or her siblings 

1 minute ago, Booted said:

And how do we know Barb won't make same mistake and get another abuser in her life ?

She is too busy raising her grandchildren and working at the Walmart deli to date.

We know she's dating and looking

Barb wasn't actually dating on her special.  It was producer-driven content.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, Booted said:

Jenelle is married to an  abuser who takes Kaiser by the arm and swings him out of the way. 

• Love 22
2 minutes ago, Booted said:

And who chose to stay and have 3 children with this person ? Not Jenelle or her siblings 

Barb worked and saved money to get her children away from him.

• Love 23
1 minute ago, druzy said:

Jenelle is married to an  abuser who takes Kaiser by the arm and swings him out of the way. 

If this was abuse then shouldn't he be in jail? It was on national tv

1 minute ago, ghoulina said:

Barb has been single for YEARS. She works. And focuses on Jace. Jenelle is with an abuser NOW. She can't stay single for a minute. She always puts men in front of her son. 

Since she signed away custody, it was never up to BARB to give her a chance. The courts had to okay it. They won't. That should tell you all you need to know. 

I was under the impression that the courts did not decide as Barb and Jenelle came to a agreement before hand ? 

Just now, Booted said:

Certain states do not allow that evidence to be admissible in court. Otherwise Jenelle and David would be in prison. 

• Love 10

Honestly, as shitty as they are I don't think CPS would intervene for a parent dragging a kid by the arm. Jenelle's had about half a billion calls made on her to CPS thus far and they've never taken the kids. Doris' petition for emergency custody didn't even get approved, so as scary as it sounds, I think you have to be an even lower life form than Jenelle or Dave for the State to step in and remove the kids from the home. Hell, her newborn tested positive for drugs and they still let her walk out the hospital with the baby.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 22
10 minutes ago, Booted said:

If every time some shit-tacular parenting was captured on video the parents were arrested, we'd live in a much better world. Unfortunately for Kaiser, Jenelle and UBT can claim wonky editing if the films is even admissible. 

Basically, what @druzy said.

Edited by Birdee
  • Love 12
45 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I realize I'm late to the party with this question as it was probably asked - and answered - years ago, but:

What would have happened if Barb had refused to take care of Jace, waited until Jenelle left the house to party, and then either called the police or CPS? Wouldn't Jace have been immediately been put in the foster care system? I'm just wondering how that scenario would have ultimately played out long-term. If Jenelle knew Barb wasn't going to take responsibility for Jace at all, and she'd already been reported for neglect and Jace had been taken away, at that point wouldn't she more or less be forced to either shape up or agree to have Jace adopted?

It depends on the situation and how Jenelle responded. If Barb called 911 while Jenelle was out and said that her daughter had left her baby at her house and she wasn't going to take care of him, the cops would probably show up and talk to Barb/try to get in touch with Jenelle to get her to come home/wait for her to come home. If Jenelle didn't show up for a while and the cops couldn't convince Barb to wait for her to return and work something out (which is what they'd probably try to do), they'd call CPS to take Jace if Barb insisted that he couldn't stay with her and he would go into emergency foster care. Even then, they'd first try to contact Jenelle and if she showed up relatively soon (even possibly day(s) later), they'd probably just give Jace back to her and she'd be free to take him back to Barb's or to a friend's house or wherever she wanted. Depending on the situation, they might open a case on Jace (they might not) and have some kind of ongoing contact with her.

If Jenelle didn't show up relatively soon and/or with a somewhat plausible excuse (e.g., I told my mom I was going to California for 2 weeks and she agreed to take care of my baby until I got back.), Jace would go into longer-term foster care. If Jenelle never showed up, her parental rights would be terminated eventually (though the process could take years). If she showed up before that happened and said she wanted Jace back, CPS would evaluate whether she was capable of parenting him and make a plan to reunify them, whether in the short or long term. Once she had a reunification plan, Jenelle would regain custody once she met all the requirements (things like getting suitable housing, passing drug tests for a certain period of time, maintaining a visiting schedule, etc.). In most cases, she would get multiple chances to do so- they wouldn't automatically terminate her rights if she failed to meet the benchmarks. Especially if Barb completely backed out of the picture (but even if she didn't), it wouldn't have been that hard for Jenelle to keep/regain custody of Jace, even if she were dragging him from one crack/party house to another, even if that were proven to CPS. She gave him up voluntarily.

• Love 18
59 minutes ago, poopchute said:

Okay so then obviously I have missed some background on Barb, and maybe someone can direct me to it.  What was Barb doing when she was Jenelle’s age that was worse than being a heroin addict and being arrested more than ten times? I’m seriously asking because I haven’t heard anything regarding this!

Wait sorry I googled and it looks like as of 2015 she has been arrested 15 times, not sure how many additional times between 2015 and today.

Is this not being answered because it’s taking a long time to document all the ways that Barb was worse than a heroin addict criminal? I honestly am so curious as to what Barb did that was worse! I don’t remember hearing much on the show about what Barb was like in her teens and 20s. I tried googling but not getting any results. Help please!!

• Love 23
5 minutes ago, ChocolateAddict said:

Just quickly- I can't speak to the US system but in Australia there are almost as many children in kinship (family) care as foster care. The thinking is that removing a child entirely should not be the default option but efforts should be made to keep the child with their family, even if that doesn't include their biological parent. If Barb had called CPS, they may well have turned around and put Jace with her anyway. She has no arrest record, a home, a job, has raised children before and was involved with Jace as an infant. 

(If this is completely incorrect, let me know. I'm just speculating based on what I know about the US system). 

You are right. If Jace went into the foster care system, relative caregivers like Barb would be prioritized over unrelated foster parents. I think that Jenelle could have blocked Barb from being appointed as Jace's foster parent, at which point he'd be placed with strangers (or other relatives/friends whom Jenelle (and CPS) approved).

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, ChocolateAddict said:

If Barb had called CPS, they may well have turned around and put Jace with her anyway.

Children are never "placed" with someone unless that person agrees.  Barb made herself available.  She stepped up to the plate when she was needed.  Unfortunately even at tht time her relationship with Jenelle was already a clusterfuck, and Barb having custody of Jace only exacerbated the problems between her and Jenelle.  

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, TheRealT said:

It depends on the situation and how Jenelle responded. If Barb called 911 while Jenelle was out and said that her daughter had left her baby at her house and she wasn't going to take care of him, the cops would probably show up and talk to Barb/try to get in touch with Jenelle to get her to come home/wait for her to come home. If Jenelle didn't show up for a while and the cops couldn't convince Barb to wait for her to return and work something out (which is what they'd probably try to do), they'd call CPS to take Jace if Barb insisted that he couldn't stay with her and he would go into emergency foster care. Even then, they'd first try to contact Jenelle and if she showed up relatively soon (even possibly day(s) later), they'd probably just give Jace back to her and she'd be free to take him back to Barb's or to a friend's house or wherever she wanted. Depending on the situation, they might open a case on Jace (they might not) and have some kind of ongoing contact with her.

If Jenelle didn't show up relatively soon and/or with a somewhat plausible excuse (e.g., I told my mom I was going to California for 2 weeks and she agreed to take care of my baby until I got back.), Jace would go into longer-term foster care. If Jenelle never showed up, her parental rights would be terminated eventually (though the process could take years). If she showed up before that happened and said she wanted Jace back, CPS would evaluate whether she was capable of parenting him and make a plan to reunify them, whether in the short or long term. Once she had a reunification plan, Jenelle would regain custody once she met all the requirements (things like getting suitable housing, passing drug tests for a certain period of time, maintaining a visiting schedule, etc.). In most cases, she would get multiple chances to do so- they wouldn't automatically terminate her rights if she failed to meet the benchmarks. Especially if Barb completely backed out of the picture (but even if she didn't), it wouldn't have been that hard for Jenelle to keep/regain custody of Jace, even if she were dragging him from one crack/party house to another, even if that were proven to CPS. She gave him up voluntarily.

Thanks for that detailed info. I was thinking about how quickly the situation could have resolved with Jace was comfortably and permanently residing in a stable family, but it seems like that might have taken years.

Doesn't seem to me like the poor kid ever had a chance, no matter which way it went. Of course, Jace *could* grow up to rise above the turmoil of his childhood and end up a stable, productive, adult. There are some that do - even those with much worse beginnings.

But unfortunately, the odds aren't in his favor.

<sad>

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Thanks for that detailed info. I was thinking about how quickly the situation could have resolved with Jace was comfortably and permanently residing in a stable family, but it seems like that might have taken years.

Doesn't seem to me like the poor kid ever had a chance, no matter which way it went. Of course, Jace *could* grow up to rise above the turmoil of his childhood and end up a stable, productive, adult. There are some that do - even those with much worse beginnings.

<sad>

Yes. Best case scenario, if Jenelle took off 100% and Barb took a hard line refusing to get involved, Jace would be placed with a great emergency/short-term foster family who would end up keeping him until he eventually became available for adoption, at which point they'd adopt him. But it's far more likely that he'd cycle through multiple foster families (some/all of whom might be abusive/neglectful) and end up "unadoptable" because he was too old/fucked up.

It's possible that Barb could have fostered Jace with an understanding that the goal was to get him adopted (I have no idea what the laws are in NC), but I can totally understand how Barb reasonably thought that her options were 1) take over legal custody of her baby grandson (for whom she was the primary caregiver) or 2) put her baby grandson into the foster care system and hope that things worked out. Even if she was looking at Jace being with strangers for a night or two, I can totally understand how she couldn't do that.

• Love 15
37 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

<sad>

I agree.  And that's why I think Barb has utterly failed as a parent. Jace could have been permanently residing in a stable family if Barb had ever followed through with her many threats to kick Jenelle out of their lives.  But she chose not to.

• Love 2

Guys I'm not sure what's up today with incivility but I encourage you to re-read our forum guidelines on how to talk about the shows in threads vs trying to talk about other posters. Try and treat each other better. 

Thanks.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Mkay said:

Wasn’t it mentioned that once he began his medication his school work improved and teachers were saying they noticed a good change in him.  It seems to be the right thing for Jace. 

Yes! Also, as a parent, I totally get that it's hard to understand and accept that your child is different and needs special intervention.  I feel like part of Jenelle's reluctance to accept his diagnosis might have come from that fear. She just doesn't want to believe it. Same as with Leah and Corey and "the girlses."

And then you have to go through this whole "what is best for my child" vs. "what are my (and others') assumptions about children with this diagnosis?" I feel for her on that, but you can't let your fear of someone else's judgement stand in the way of doing what's best for your kid. 

Maybe barb didn't have the resources as a young mom to get her kids the intervention that would have benefitted them and had more of an impact when they were Jace's age. She's not going to let that happen again and I applaud her for it.

• Love 20
4 hours ago, poopchute said:

That’s what I’m waiting for! The background info that you were referring to when you said Jenelle is more stable than Barb was at her age. I’m genuinely curious! It must be juicy if it’s worse than being a heroin addict with 15+ arrests!

And Jenelle would be shouting it to the rooftops and selling it to every tabloid known to man. The fact she doesn't makes me thing nothing to see there.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I agree.  And that's why I think Barb has utterly failed as a parent. Jace could have been permanently residing in a stable family if Barb had ever followed through with her many threats to kick Jenelle out of their lives.  But she chose not to.

Not true. As others have explained, it's very difficult to get a bio parent's parental rights terminated. I actually think that, in a way, MTV doomed Jace because Jenelle would never relinquish her parental rights or completely abandon him as long as he was tied to a hefty paycheck for doing the show. If Barb had "kicked Jenelle out of their lives," Jenelle would have probably been motivated to go to court and she would have been awarded regular visitation (at least). If Barb had washed her hands of Jace and allowed him to be placed with a foster family, Jenelle would have had an even easier time getting him back.

Edited by TheRealT
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Mkay said:

Wasn’t it mentioned that once he began his medication his school work improved and teachers were saying they noticed a good change in him.  It seems to be the right thing for Jace. 

Yes, at one of the reunions. Dr  Drew asked Barb how Jace was doing and she told him about the meds and said it had helped tremendously. His grades were improved and his attitude was much better. Even anti drug Dr Drew thought it was great that he was responding so well. Then Jenelle piped in and said she thought it wasn't a good idea because he might become addicted to them and that his friends would probably steal them when he got older. My first thought at that comment was that she'd be better off worrying about whatever kids were in her house stealing pot, bongs and whatever else they could find from her.

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, TheRealT said:

Not true. As others have explained, it's very difficult to get a bio parent's parental rights terminated. I actually think that, in a way, MTV doomed Jace because Jenelle would never relinquish her parental rights or completely abandon him as long as he was tied to a hefty paycheck for doing the show. If Barb had "kicked Jenelle out of their lives," Jenelle would have probably been motivated to go to court and she would have been awarded regular visitation (at least). If Barb had washed her hands of Jace and allowed him to be placed with a foster family, Jenelle would have had an even easier time getting him back.

She could have gotten him back and if she failed a drug test or did something else, he would have been placed in foster care again. Lather, rinse, repeat. The system is so broken and the children are the ones to suffer. 

Last year in my town, three children were found in an unheated home, living in squalor, feces all over the house and the infant was in a room in a crib alone wearing nothing but a filthy diaper. This was in winter and it was in the 30's and 40's outside. The infant almost didn't make it because she was so hypothermic. The "parents" had had the children removed by CPS 4 times and had gotten them back time after time. They left those babies alone for 72 hours with the door padlocked from the outside while they stole shit and bought and smoked meth. I almost threw up when the woman was on the news the night they were arrested, crying to the judge that she loved her kids and was 4 months pregnant with another innocent baby. As far as I know, that was the final straw and the children are now safely living with their biological father. He'd been chasing her all over the country trying to get custody of his kids since they were born. I don't know who has the baby she delivered while in jail. It's sperm donor was the asshole she was living with at the time. 

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, lovesnark said:

Yes, at one of the reunions. Dr  Drew asked Barb how Jace was doing and she told him about the meds and said it had helped tremendously. His grades were improved and his attitude was much better. Even anti drug Dr Drew thought it was great that he was responding so well. Then Jenelle piped in and said she thought it wasn't a good idea because he might become addicted to them and that his friends would probably steal them when he got older. My first thought at that comment was that she'd be better off worrying about whatever kids were in her house stealing pot, bongs and whatever else they could find from her.

That moment also proves Jenelle knew BACK THEN about Jace, his mental issues, and the fact he was on medications. Not a peep out of her since that moment about wanting more information about who dispensed the meds, where is he going for treatment, and what is involved in Jace's mental health treatment. She didn't ask about wanting to go to his appointment. She never offered to drive Barb and Jace for his mental health appointments so she could be informed and ask any questions she may have had at that time. Instead, she waits two years before making a big stink ON CAMERA about Jace's health care. She didn't need custody or have access to his medical records to inquire about what was happening to him. 

• Love 15
5 hours ago, lovesnark said:

If Barb had kicked Jenelle out and called CPS to intervene with Jace, Jace would have been bounced from foster home to foster home and in and out of Jenelle's life until he would be considered unadoptable because of his age.

The stable family I was referring to was Barb and Jace without Jenelle, not foster care.  Although as terrible as the foster care system is, every once in a while a kid makes it out okay, while given what Jace has been put through between Barb and Jenelle, I have pretty much no hope for him.

As others have explained, it's very difficult to get a bio parent's parental rights terminated. I actually think that, in a way, MTV doomed Jace because Jenelle would never relinquish her parental rights or completely abandon him as long as he was tied to a hefty paycheck for doing the show. If Barb had "kicked Jenelle out of their lives," Jenelle would have probably been motivated to go to court and she would have been awarded regular visitation (at least). If Barb had washed her hands of Jace and allowed him to be placed with a foster family, Jenelle would have had an even easier time getting him back.

I'm not sure Jenelle would have gone to court in the early years, but even if she had, and was awarded visitation, it would be better than what played out.  The constant "you'll never see him again" followed by "we're going to communicate and get along better from here on out" was destabilizing, and the lack of structure and clear benchmarks led to many opportunities for Jenelle to complain and even more for them to fight.  That's their business, except when it happens in front of Jace.  And as Jace's caregiver, it was Barb's responsibility to shield him from it, and she didn't do it.

If there had been court-ordered visitation (and again, I'm not convinced Jenelle would have bothered), there would have been a schedule, and they could have done drop-offs so that there wasn't the opportunity to fight--none of this incessant "can I see him this weekend" and "you can have him back when you clean up your life." 

So there were three choices:  (1) cut ties with Jenelle and Jenelle goes away, (2) cut ties with Jenelle and Jenelle goes to court and is granted visitation, and (3) keep Jenelle in their lives and don't bother to shield Jace from the conflict, and in fact fight with him literally in the middle of you two.  The third one is the worst, and that's the one Barb went with. 

I know she did it because she didn't want to "lose" Jenelle, but when the person who pays the ultimate price is a baby who was deprived of a shot at an almost normal upbringing, then I get judgey.  Face it:  Barb chose keeping Jenelle in her life (what Barb wanted) over keeping Jenelle away from Jace (what Barb didn't want).  It's not fair that the better choice for Jace wasn't what Barb wanted to do, but sometimes life isn't fair, and we have to sacrifice what we want for someone else's good.  She didn't do that.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 1