Type keyword(s) to search

Premature Unfurling: TV spoilers & speculation

Happy Harpy

I thought a big problem last year was the cast had expanded to too many characters and everyone was getting shortchanged. So while we have lost Caine and Charlotte, they have added in three new characters (Eve, the priest and the new angel). I wanted them to delve further into the existing characters (without resorting to love triangles like last year). Maize did nothing but pout and rage last year. Dan only got snippets with Charlotte and even Lucifer was often sidelined while they juggled other stories. Have they really exhausted all ideas with the existing characters? 

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Ria said:

I thought a big problem last year was the cast had expanded to too many characters and everyone was getting shortchanged. So while we have lost Caine and Charlotte, they have added in three new characters (Eve, the priest and the new angel). I wanted them to delve further into the existing characters (without resorting to love triangles like last year). Maize did nothing but pout and rage last year. Dan only got snippets with Charlotte and even Lucifer was often sidelined while they juggled other stories. Have they really exhausted all ideas with the existing characters? 

I like that we get a new angel. The family dynamic is so interesting. But I could do without Eve and the priest. They're really not necessary, there are plenty of stories to tell with the cast that they have.

Maybe the writers are trying to dilute the mess they made last season. Many relationships have been damaged imo and they might use new characters as a diversion. If so: Not a good plan.

1 hour ago, CheshireCat said:

But I could do without Eve and the priest. They're really not necessary, there are plenty of stories to tell with the cast that they have.

I'm not too happy about Eve either, the concept seems close to Mom's -troublemaker important female figure in Lucifer's past- except  younger actress + character able to sleep with Lucifer (or Amenadiel) without grossing out most of the audience. I loved how Mom was "Mom", not the dreaded Ex trope, Tricia Helfer had chemistry with the whole cast and unlike Tom Welling, immediately found the right tone for the show (YMMV). I dare hope TPTB didn't threw it all away for the wrong reasons.

• Love 3

The only info we are getting is new casting. And the dreadful pregnancy rumor. I haven’t read one thing to make me want to pay money to watch this. Most shows leak a few plot spoilers to get people interested in watching. 

On 1.11.2018 at 1:27 AM, Sakura12 said:

It would've been great to see her as Maze's mom too. 

Missy as Maze's mom would have been fantastic!

I can't believe we've had three seasons and not seen one single other demon. It's so disappointing.

• Love 1

Season 5 renewal and what we know so far (link below)

-5th and final season was approved in May

-Writing is expected to begin in July

"As we originally expected, it has been confirmed that Lucifer is sticking to its trimmed season of 10 episodes. That means we have just under 10 hours of Lucifer to go before he leaves for good."

Expected release date: 2020

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/lucifer-season-5-netflix-what-to-expect-what-we-know-so-far-06-2019/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwjt9cjlp4HjAhUMUK0KHUppDR8QyM8BMAB6BAgHEAQ&usg=AOvVaw27356sRj_phVeOIOHEx8lr&ampcf=1

• Love 2

I have seen comments (maybe other sites) that Dan and Ella both need to learn the truth about Lucifer and Amenadiel in season 5.  I kind of go back and forth on that.

Ella relayed the story at some point about how she has doubts about her faith so that she can believe (and she never answered Chloe’s question affirmatively about how if Ella could prove it all, would she). So knowing everything almost takes away from her a bit.  

I don’t think Dan should know unless he and Lucifer can become genuine friends, and I don’t know that it can actually happen (frenemies is probably the best they can do).

• Love 1

I want Trixie to know the truth - or to confirm that's she's known the truth already.  Really I kind of want Chloe to end up as Queen of Hell beside Lucifer so we can get some kind of spinoff with Trixie, Maze, Linda and Amenadiel.  Or just Trixie and Maze.

• Love 2
On 7/1/2019 at 12:18 PM, johntfs said:

I want Trixie to know the truth - or to confirm that's she's known the truth already.  Really I kind of want Chloe to end up as Queen of Hell beside Lucifer so we can get some kind of spinoff with Trixie, Maze, Linda and Amenadiel.  Or just Trixie and Maze.

I just want more Trixie period, now that you mention it. We just haven't seen enough of her.  I want more of their whole dynamic. (Her and Lucifer, her and maze, her and Charlie).

Could you IMAGINE Trixie at 16, with the fighting skills Maze has taught her.  I'd take that as a spin-off too!

It will be interesting to see what happens with Dan since he was basically blaming Lucifer for getting away with stuff while he, Dan, always getting away with stuff.  I also can't help but think about how bad cop Dan was in the S3 AU episode.

• Love 2

I definitely have mixed emotions about Netflix extending the final season. Sure, 6 extra episodes seems nice but the writers did a great job telling their story with S4 in only 10 episodes. 16 just sounds like more rope with which to hang themselves. Guess we'll have to wait and see. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

I definitely have mixed emotions about Netflix extending the final season. Sure, 6 extra episodes seems nice but the writers did a great job telling their story with S4 in only 10 episodes. 16 just sounds like more rope with which to hang themselves. Guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Yeah, I kind of worry about that too, but this is IT, we aren't going to get anything else, so I really think they will do it justice.  There's so many possibilities for fantastic storylines.

So, so excited!!

EW article with same news.

😁😁😁🙌😈

Edited by Chaosiswelcome
  • Love 3

The question I have is at what point at the writers in prepping the season. If they're still primarily at the concept stage, GREAT! If they've mapped out a tight 10, then... not so great. Padding sucks.

• Love 2

What @daxx said. Although, they have begun writing already but maybe they're not too far ahead or the showrunners knew that there were negotiations about more episodes. (I have a hard time believing that Netflix would just drop that on the Lucifer team since the actors and crew have to be available for a couple of months or so longer).

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Chaosiswelcome said:

We may get a musical number

Not a fan of those.

16 minutes ago, Chaosiswelcome said:

They likened sending Lucifer back to hell with sending an alcoholic to run a liquor store so I guess Lucifer will relapse.

If he relapses to S1 Lucifer, I'm on board!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, andipandi said:

S1 Lucifer was on vacation. I think they mean to show us what on the job Lucifer is like. I hope he doesn't brood too much.

I am a bit worried it will learn more towards the violence required to rule....more of back breaking Lucifer than finally understanding who he is Lucifer. I just hope they don't fall into the trap of too much character regression.  I suspect it's going to be the emotional understanding stuff though... Everything Linda worked so hard to help him through.

• Love 2

I expect the added episodes were to break season 5 into 2 mini seasons story wise. Netflix announced it was the last season and then probably changed their minds.

I hope since Lucifer is back in hell they show season 1's Kevin Rankin's Malcom Graham, he was good as the bad cop with some humor as well.

Will Linda be killed weekly ala Kenny from Southpark so she could have a session with Lucifer in hell then resurrected (assuming she did something bad enough to end up there)? I can't see how Lucifer can leave hell so soon after taking over again, or how the gang can go to hell to interact with Lucifer there.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, UnknownK said:

I expect the added episodes were to break season 5 into 2 mini seasons story wise. Netflix announced it was the last season and then probably changed their minds.

I hope since Lucifer is back in hell they show season 1's Kevin Rankin's Malcom Graham, he was good as the bad cop with some humor as well.

Will Linda be killed weekly ala Kenny from Southpark so she could have a session with Lucifer in hell then resurrected (assuming she did something bad enough to end up there)? I can't see how Lucifer can leave hell so soon after taking over again, or how the gang can go to hell to interact with Lucifer there.

Don't forget -- time runs differently there. He had been gone for thousands of years, from their point of view.

I saw an article speculating that indeed, Netflix is planning on splitting episodes.

This article has some speculation regarding plot:"

--

"What will happen in Lucifer season 5?

WARNING: This section contains spoilers from Lucifer season 4

Lucifer returned to hell in the final episode of season four, so a follow-up could see him making a comeback with a potential time-jump and possibly new characters.

Alternatively, the series could see Chloe and others venturing into the depths of hell to find Lucifer and trying to bring him back to Earth.

The show could also see the return of Eve (Inbar Lavi), who left at the end of season four to find herself.

Baby Charlie, the son of Amenadiel and Dr Linda could also have a part to play in any future seasons given the infant is half-angel."

My guess is we will start with either a rescue of Lucifer or seeing what things are like for him down there.  I think a time jump has to happen, at least from Lucifer's point of view.

I also could swear I read-Somewhere- about the season opening with the characters being brought together in an interesting way/big scene but I can't find it so maybe I made it up 😂.

I can't imagine Linda regularly being sent to hell..not with Charlie.  I could see Amenadiel, Maze, maybe even Chloe there, but not Linda. 

Edited by Chaosiswelcome

I know it’s been quite awhile since the ET video was posted by @ProudMary, but I only watched it recently.

I have to say that it kind of bummed me out the way DB Woodside was talking about the show’s ending.  If anyone doesn’t want to watch the full clip, he said that the ending was not what people would probably expect, and the reporter asked the great follow-up question:  “what do you think people expect?”  And he replied that he thinks that people expect Chloe and Lucifer to grow old together on Earth.

I did expect that either Lucifer would have to forfeit his immortality OR Chloe would have to forfeit her mortality (whatever that entails) for them to end up together, and I thought that they would end up on Earth either way because they seemed like they could both be happiest there.  DB’s comment made me think they don’t end up on Earth and don’t grow old together.  I guess I’m just really longing for a “happily ever after” ending:  so many shows in which I’ve emotionally invested in recent years have rather tragic endings (or deeply unsatisfying ones), and I just personally want that nice little bow for once.  The interview almost made me think about waiting to watch the season until I hear how it ends.  Now that they are doing the season in two parts, though, I probably don’t have that willpower for that.

I will say that the interviewer is adorable, and I liked her segment with Aimee Garcia a lot.  That was very cute about Aimee saying that the reporter and Lucifer could have a mojo-off!

Looks like we'll be finally meeting "Dad", and I can't think of a better casting for it: Dennis Haysbert will be playing God next season!  Along with him being his normal awesome self, it's a fun bit of casting since he and D.B. Woodside played brothers on 24.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Looks like we'll be finally meeting "Dad", and I can't think of a better casting for it: Dennis Haysbert will be playing God next season!  Along with him being his normal awesome self, it's a fun bit of casting since he and D.B. Woodside played brothers on 24.

I'll reserve judgement for after I've seen it. At the moment, I'm not sure I like the idea since I like that we haven't met Dad and that they haven't put a face to a figure that is different for everyone. But maybe they'll go the route of Mom and it's not Dad himself but the body he inhabits. I wouldn't have any reservations about that.

• Love 1

I'm not in the slightest bit sure I want to meet "Dad" for real but if we have to then they're off to a very good start with the casting. I kind of assume it's going to be like Mum and it's not his true form, which would be too awesome/terrible/everything for mortals to behold, but not the body snatching of dead people Mum did. More like the angels, demons and devil forms for everyone.

Timothy Omundson was fantastic as God Johnson but that was kind of as far as I wanted them to go, baring NG's voice over. However, I'm definitely keeping an open mind. 

• Love 1

Yeah. Though I think I might have preferred the Joan of Arcadia approach, where "Dad" would just speak to his children through whoever happened to be nearby at the time.

Or better yet, Wonderfalls where it's various stuffed animals and other tchotchkes doing the talking...

• Love 1

Now that we’ve seen the 5x08 introduction of “God”, where do we think this is going?

Absent the existence of the season 2 episode “God Johnson” where there was already a “it’s God, but not really” fakeout, I would have guessed here that Dennis Haysbert is not the actual God but some kind of manipulation by Michael.

I say that because something weird is definitely going on with Amenadiel having heard God’s voice that it was okay to leave Hell unattended, which as some noted, could just be a manipulation by Michael.  And there is the point that Amenadiel mentioned regarding how only Michael is talking to God, and no one else can right now.  So maybe Michael has the means to manipulate further and present a facsimile of God.

But when I think about how we have already had a “not really God” episode, I just don’t think they would return to that well.  And I think they do want to address Lucifer’s daddy issues in the same way they did with the mommy issues, which can’t really be done unless there is a character opposite Lucifer to offer that reconciliation.

I do wonder how convincing the explanation will be about why God chose to intervene now.  Amenadiel and Lucifer made big deals in S1 and S2 about how Dad doesn’t really communicate with them directly, save for an indirect communication when God saved Lucifer’s life after being shot by Malcolm and also when Amenadiel said that God asked him to bless Penelope Decker.

I guess it could be a long time before we see Part 2 of Season 5, with the pandemic and all.  I’m sure they won’t release more until they can finish shooting the finale.

• Love 1

I've seen a couple of people say everyone knows now except Ella -- but Trixie doesn't officially know either.

Things I really want to happen:

1. God says, "What do you mean Chloe is a blessing for Lucifer? Poppycock. I did that blessing so TRIXIE would be born."

2. Trixie walks in on her parents, et al. discussing the celestials and asks what's happening. And when they try to deflect, she reveals that she knows full well that Lucifer is the devil and Maze is a demon. "Duh."

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 8/26/2020 at 2:45 PM, rainsmom said:

I've seen a couple of people say everyone knows now except Ella -- but Trixie doesn't officially know either.

1. God says, "What do you mean Chloe is a blessing for Lucifer? Poppycock. I did that blessing so TRIXIE would be born."

2. Trixie walks in on her parents, et al. discussing the celestials and asks what's happening. And when they try to deflect, she reveals that she knows full well that Lucifer is the devil and Maze is a demon. "Duh."

Personally I think Trixie's been clued in since the very first episode.

Meanwhile, I really hope we learn that Amendiel came back because he was able to leave the management of Hell in the capable hands of the new (self-proclaimed) second in command to Lucifer, one Lee "Mr. Said-Out-Bitch" Garner.  Figure it works because, Maze very much aside, demons don't seem to be all that bright.  And Amenadiel can be very naive.

Who's the new King of Hell?  Mr. Said-Out-Bitch.

On 8/26/2020 at 3:45 PM, rainsmom said:

Even if not Trixie,  just so Chloes parents could have a kid.   I really don't think Chloe was made for Lucifer.   Dad has been pretty much checked out on celestials since he made humans so I'm not sure he would check back in just for the son he banished.