Type keyword(s) to search

Curb Your Enthusiasm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Kind of an odd episode!  I'm not sure how I feel.  I didn't hate it, but it definitely took time to work on me.  By the end I was smiling.... but man, that was odd. 

I'll be sad if that's the end of Lucy Liu on the show, but at least she was on!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I think it's funny taking things on Curb seriously. The idea of the glass door thing is absurd. That's where the comedy from. I know plenty of comedy from Curb comes from real places. But, a lot of it is silly situations as well. 

I don't know what's supposed to be lesser Curb. I laughed a ton with this. Not every joke or situation will hit. I laughed. That's basically all I can ask for.

That guys daughter...she was so bizarre in the best possible way. 

JB Smoove looked like his hair was painted on. The visual made me laugh every time.

I'm fine if Lucy doesn't come back. It's not like she was actually funny here.

• Love 10

Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but in the past it felt like Larry would run into minor annoyances and make such a huge issue that he was clearly the jerk.

Last night it felt like he had legitimate reasons to be upset and everyone else was the jerk but they were trying to make Larry feel bad.

For instance in the past, Larry would go off because he felt like someone was sampling too many ice creams. But this episode, he was absolutely in the right to ask about the money the guy owed him, and Susie absolutely did plop on the couch and cause the wine spill.

• Love 13

I see what you're saying, but everyone did agree that Susie plopped.  Jeff was just secretive about it.

Also, when Larry said that Albert was a "Covid Hoarder" everyone agreed and were way more passionate about their anger than Larry was, who didn't even seem angry at all.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Wavy said:

Was sooo ready for this.  Susie definitely plopped.  Have to side with Larry this time.

I just watched the episode from season 3 where they're looking to invest in a restaurant and Larry is impressed by a restauranteur preventing spilled coffee from staining a couch.

The B-plot is that Cheryl is spending a lot of time playing tennis with an actor and Larry is suspicious of his motives.

At the end of the episode, Cheryl has wine spilled on her blouse and the actor uses the same trick Larry learned to try to prevent staining and he's rubbing Cheryl's breasts while Larry is looking on confused whether it's a legit attempt to prevent staining or the guy is using it as an excuse to grope Cheryl.

I thought Larry was going to try to use the same trick to prevent staining in this episode.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, SHD said:

Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but in the past it felt like Larry would run into minor annoyances and make such a huge issue that he was clearly the jerk.

Last night it felt like he had legitimate reasons to be upset and everyone else was the jerk but they were trying to make Larry feel bad.

For instance in the past, Larry would go off because he felt like someone was sampling too many ice creams. But this episode, he was absolutely in the right to ask about the money the guy owed him, and Susie absolutely did plop on the couch and cause the wine spill.

Sure but the reaction to Larry seems universal.  Jon Hamm said when he did a movie based on Larry, the audience they tested always came back with the reaction of the character being "repugnant."

Now he's pitching a show based on his life, Young Larry?  Funny premise, and I guess the inside joke is now he's going to streamers because he's burned his bridges with HBO and all the broadcast networks in season 2 when he was pitching shows for Jason Alexander and Julia Louis-Drefus.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, LoveLeigh said:

What actor played the sister of the extortionist who was auditioning for the part of Lipschitz? 

Marques Ray. He's a working character actor, but interestingly he played the Hotel Clerk/Concierge in the Mexico Wedding epsiode last season. I couldn't tell if he was supposed to be the same guy or a similar looking person that was confusing Larry, or if it was just available casting. 

While watching last night, I noticed how much Late Stage Curb has become "Baby Boomer Entourage." Larry and his manager drive around LA eating at various high end restaurants with their various friends and occasionally work on a project/pitch a studio. There are many cameos by celebrities playing themselves and cameos by celebrities not famous enough to play themselves. Larry has a romantic interest that typically lasts a single episode but never more than a few. No matter the stakes, all the real issues are rich people problems.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Traveller519 said:

Marques Ray. He's a working character actor, but interestingly he played the Hotel Clerk/Concierge in the Mexico Wedding epsiode last season. I couldn't tell if he was supposed to be the same guy or a similar looking person that was confusing Larry, or if it was just available casting. 

Thank you.  I KNEW I had seen him before.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

He’s a gem of a character actor, he was so funny in that small role. He was also on The Good Place, as Tahani’s teeny soulmate.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Who was Albert Brooks's wife/girlfriend? I know her, but can't place her. She has done A LOT to her face.

Laura Kightlinger. I recognize the name from SNL.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Who was Albert Brooks's wife/girlfriend? I know her, but can't place her. She has done A LOT to her face.

Yes, she has.

2 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I also think she did alot on Seinfeld too.  Writer/director/some time actor.

I can't find the Seinfeld information, but she was a producer/consultant on Will and Grace.  And she played a nurse on it a few times including once with her ex Jack Black.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Albert Brooks' girlfriend is nuts.

She plopped! She's a plopper, she's always been a plopper!

Drop the kids off at the pool. Never heard that used as a euphemism before.

For a minute I thought that was Michael Moore playing Dennis. Michael Moore who'd lost quite a bit of weight.

That girl from the taqueria was so awful Larry's new show will probably turn out to be a big hit because viewers will assume she's meant to be the joke.

Glad this show is back. This was one I didn't think would survive the pandemic.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I worded my question all wrong. Sorry. What "actress" played THE DAUGHTER of that guy who auditioned for the role of Marsha? 

Edited by LoveLeigh
  • Love 1
On 10/24/2021 at 9:11 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

And that was such a rip off of his own previous show, "Seinfeld", with the birth control hoarding.

Are you saying that Albert Brooks isn't "hand sanitizer worthy"?

AB's funeral was very Curb, but it seems like I remember a Great American Novel in which two scamps hid in a church and watched their own funeral taking place.  I wonder if Mark Twain's estate would have something to say about this plotline. 

I was expecting someone to walk into the glass wall of the room they were holding the auditions in, but I guess that would have been too obvious.  Or maybe we were supposed to expect it to happen and it didn't, and that was the joke.  Hmmm.....

• Love 3

They didn't wait long this season for Susie to throw Larry out of the house. 

Even if I have Larry level money, it's 6 grand. I wouldn't have waited 6 months. And Susie definitely plopped. She is a total plopper. 

Has anyone not walked into a door or screen though? 

I did like Larry's eulogy. That's how you skewer someone. 

Larry and Susie being at odds is funny, but I do like when they are on the same page even if it's small moments like finding the closet. 

I have to call a little bs on Larry being extorted. He's got enough money. Go to court. The guy died breaking in. 

I liked the cuts between all the 'auditions'. I got a kick out of who Leon cast as his Mary. 

The ending theme was very well done. 

• Love 1

I walked into a screen when I was young. I was at the beach with my neighbor friend's family. They had a stationary(?) camper at a campground and we were loading the luggage into it when we first got there, at night. They all kept closing the sliding screen door behind them when they entered and exited and I couldn't see it because it was dark. Walked smack into it, face first. It hurt. I wouldn't have been older than 10 or so.

On 10/27/2021 at 12:09 AM, LoveLeigh said:

Yes! Thanks, she is Keyla Monterroso Mejia. She is GREAT!

I loved her audition so much!  I rewound it to watch again before going on with the rest of the episode.  

The episode is on now, and I'm just waiting for her audition scene again.  So, so funny.

• Love 2
On 10/28/2021 at 8:16 PM, CouchTater said:

I loved her audition so much!  I rewound it to watch again before going on with the rest of the episode.  

The episode is on now, and I'm just waiting for her audition scene again.  So, so funny.

I am speculating she will become a viral sensation on Young Larry. Then she walks into a glass door and dies and they all attend her funeral. Then her father plops down in his seat at the cemetery and her casket flies up in the air and her body flies out and Larry falls into it and they all take shovels and throw dirt on him.  It was all foreshadowed.

Edited by LoveLeigh
  • LOL 4

How were they able to have zero masks in the crowd shots despite this season being filmed during the pandemic? Another thing, they filmed this season so fast, season 10 just ended last year. I thought there'd be at least a couple years before this season began. This is the quickest gap between seasons thus far. 

Every few episodes or so in the past few seasons Larry does something on his show that disgusts me.  One was the episode where the actually small-sized Megyn Price was on and Larry was TERRIFIED, TERRIFIED that she would gain weight. (And what if she did?  Do overweight women even deserve to live?!)  

Now there's an episode where married Jeff cheats on his wife, gets somebody pregnant, and god knows who made the decision but an abortion happened and Jeff (apparently) paid for it.  Jeff/Larry's take away is to be suspicious of how the woman spends his money.

The way Larry sees women is so fucking convoluted.  I can't believe he finds this shit funny and I wonder if men find this shit funny. 

It reminds me of how so many male comedians act like it's "Tradition" to reserve the last 15-30 minutes of their stand up routine for misogyny. Like here comes the part that you've all been waiting for, where I discuss how all women are adulterous slut liars out to steal my money.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Such a contrast when you watch the early seasons with these episodes.

Larry gets into trouble lying and he doubles down, pretending to like Greek music and then uses earplugs so he doesn’t learn the truth about the hygienist or the maintenance guy.

All because he’s being blackmailed to put that girl in the show.  But since Netflix just canceled the show, does that mean he’s out of the obligation?

No the previews show him trying to get Cheryl to help make an audition tape for the girl.

I don’t know if the stakes for Larry are even believable.  He doesn’t have to try to win over TV execs to make a show.  He can do new seasons of CYE whenever he wants.

So is he really blowing it antagonizing Don Jr. or he doesn’t care if they reject “Young Larry?”

And is he really that cheap that he wants leftovers from Leon’s girlfriend’s plate just because he picked up the check?

LD really seems to be leaning into the dislikable approach.  That one season was all about him trying to put that cafe owner out of business, spending a lot of money.  I have to rewatch to see if you can mine comedy out of punching down, a TV mogul with at least hundreds of millions trying to bankrupt a small business owner.

• Love 3

Larry has been a very petty man for a very long time. None of this surprises me or angers me any way. If it did, I would have been out a while ago. 

I don't think anyone is supposed to be feel bad for Jeff. Larry would have kicked Jeff out of his life a while ago if he cared about the cheating. For me, it's not about finding the abortion angle funny. It's the selfishness and absurdity about what they are focusing on. 

As a non pet lover, all of Larry's antics this episode. Except when it came to the dogs name. All that hassle because you don't want to say a dumb name. Also, the dog gets hurt because of it. Perfect example of Larry maybe having a point but losing whatever high ground he had by the end.

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Every few episodes or so in the past few seasons Larry does something on his show that disgusts me.  One was the episode where the actually small-sized Megyn Price was on and Larry was TERRIFIED, TERRIFIED that she would gain weight. (And what if she did?  Do overweight women even deserve to live?!)  

Now there's an episode where married Jeff cheats on his wife, gets somebody pregnant, and god knows who made the decision but an abortion happened and Jeff (apparently) paid for it.  Jeff/Larry's take away is to be suspicious of how the woman spends his money.

The way Larry sees women is so fucking convoluted.  I can't believe he finds this shit funny and I wonder if men find this shit funny. 

It reminds me of how so many male comedians act like it's "Tradition" to reserve the last 15-30 minutes of their stand up routine for misogyny. Like here comes the part that you've all been waiting for, where I discuss how all women are adulterous slut liars out to steal my money.

*WILD APPLAUSE*

Yes to everything you said so perfectly. Each season he gets meaner and less likable. The misogyny is really obscuring any potential for humor.

Also, I’m not buying most of the premises. No way would he give in to blackmail in the previous ep and no way would the power dynamic at Netflix be as portrayed here. If he’s desperate enough to borrow a dog in order to woo that actor, then why start telling the dog to shut up in front of the dog lover. He knows that is a huge mistake. He just keeps being horrible to people like he either can’t help himself or hen feels bizarrely entitled to and it’s always a shock to him when they bite back.

• Love 5

Seinfeld characters were all despicable people.

Guessing that was LD’s influence, as well as the “No hugs, no learning” mantra.

So he probably thinks it’s even a greater triumph to make people laugh at unlikable figures.

Other times, he’s not necessarily despicable so much as stubborn, like not singing happy birthday to Ben Stiller because he doesn’t like the song.  But it leads to a big falling out and Ben quits the play they were doing.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The fact that last year he married a 36 year old woman speaks volumes. He was 73. 

6 hours ago, aghst said:

Such a contrast when you watch the early seasons with these episodes.

I see no real changes. Can you describe more. I am interested in how you view the contrast. Thanks. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, DiabLOL said:

*WILD APPLAUSE*

Yes to everything you said so perfectly. Each season he gets meaner and less likable. The misogyny is really obscuring any potential for humor.

Also, I’m not buying most of the premises. No way would he give in to blackmail in the previous ep and no way would the power dynamic at Netflix be as portrayed here. If he’s desperate enough to borrow a dog in order to woo that actor, then why start telling the dog to shut up in front of the dog lover. He knows that is a huge mistake. He just keeps being horrible to people like he either can’t help himself or hen feels bizarrely entitled to and it’s always a shock to him when they bite back.

I think Larry is old now and is doing the same shtik. He's a geezer. 

56 minutes ago, LoveLeigh said:

The fact that last year he married a 36 year old woman speaks volumes. He was 73. 

I think it speaks to the fact that he's filthy rich and that will attract women of all ages.  For example, Patrick Stewart is 81 and his wife is 42, and that's hardly the only example of rich guys who married women young enough to be their daughters (or granddaughters)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

I think it speaks to the fact that he's filthy rich and that will attract women of all ages.  For example, Patrick Stewart is 81 and his wife is 42, and that's hardly the only example of rich guys who married women young enough to be their daughters (or granddaughters)

So Larry only married somebody half his age because women are golddiggers?   🙄Yup, I guess Larry is powerless against the golddigger law and had no choice.

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

So Larry only married somebody half his age because women are golddiggers?   🙄Yup, I guess Larry is powerless against the golddigger law and had no choice.

Howard Stern also married a much younger woman. I heard Larry David asked on a talk show if he thinks women date him because he is rich and he responded "I don't care." Maybe he does not care because he gets what he wants and the women get what they want and all is good. 

That's not the wow!

Everybody coming for Larry's towels.

Clapping and swaying, clapping and swaying.

She named a male cat Angel Muffin. Who does that? 😉

Angel muh! Noooo!

Lying liar Julio.

The only part of this episode I didn't like was the abortion subplot. The timing is not great IMO and I hope it wasn't deliberate.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

No, it's because when you're rich and famous you're also far more likely to run into romantic partners who aren't bothered by the typical dealbreakers like a 20+ year age gap.  You're also much more likely to have a circle of friends and acquaintances who won't really care about it and give you a hard time.  And if that's a person's preference then so be it and more power to them both.

• Love 1