Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: The Heart Attack Is the Best Way

With Jacob finally in their custody, Letty and Javier settle in a quaint beach town. Only, Letty is still stealing and Javier is still killing. When a hit goes wrong for Javier, and he discovers someone is trying to kill him, Letty is forced to face the reality of being in a relationship with a hitman while trying to lead a “normal” life.

Well, the end sequence hooked me. Great song choice.

Yet again, Javier's storyline is the most compelling for me. The Silk subplot, drama on the dock, and visit to his sister were the heavy moments I'll remember. Maybe it's just because JDB brings so much to the screen. His little moments even get me. The "look at me" response about his cooking was gold.

Ann Dowd and Terry Kinney are hilarious together. I'm hoping both Letty and Javier make a deal to work undercover for the FBI just so we can get some great scenes of them together on the same team.

Sorry to say it but the focus on Jacob is just not what I fell in love with at the start. I want Javi and Letty capers, not wine-addled PTA meetings and parenting apps. I also hate how nasty Letty was to Javier. Sanctimonious Letty is not my cup of tea.

• Love 9

Good to see Javier still has that great butt. And that they wanted to remind us of it right off the bat.

For a second I thought the sales clerk at that boutique in the mall was one of the Kardashians.

Does Letty really expect Jacob to be able to maintain any ridiculous backstory she comes up with? Especially since she adds new details on the fly away from Jacob and Javier's presence.

• Love 3

I’m surprised Letty still gets away with shoplifting, as she’s not subtle about it. I know that’s part of her success, but at this point I think she should at least get the stink eye more than she does.

The Jacob stuff is OK as a C or D story, but it’s taking over the show.

• Love 4

Joining the chorus who is already tired of Jacob/normality for Letty and Javier. I was surprised to hear Laura Bell Bundy was joining this show since she's generally a very broadly comedic actress, but she fit better than expected and her kid is kind of a trip. I'm not looking forward to the cliched plotline with their abusive/controlling husband/dad though.  Ann Dowd is awesome and it already seems clear she's poised to be a bigger part of the show now, which is great. 

• Love 3

Ann Dowd in anything is a scene stealer...what a great actress. I was so thrilled that she finally won an Emmy. I loved this episode and I agree, too much of the kid, but hey he's going to be part of the story whether we like it or not. okay, so why was the neighbor lady's husband such a dick? Is there a back story, did I hear something about him being a cop? Question, did Letty actually pay for something, the wine for example? That was a lot of fine wine and she doesn't pay anything, how did she get out of the liquor store (with assistance) if she didn't pay for that? Thanks.  

• Love 1

I'm so glad this show is back, I hadn't realized how much I missed it. The acting and chemistry between all the actors is off the charts. Letty and Javier, Christian and Rhonda, Estelle and Rob...so many great scene pairings, and they're also great when they get mixed around as well.

Carin with a C, spelled C-A-R-I-N, reminds me of Tiffany from last season. Letty definitely has a type in terms of women she gets along with.

Noooooo, Silk! Alright, someone's definitely after Javier and has been for sometime, since this person seems to know a lot about him. I thought Javier might keep the funeral home around (if Silk was no longer there, he could come and go as he pleased) but Silk did run a legitimate business so if he ended up missing, someone would come and shut the thing down (I assume there are all sorts of government regulations regarding funeral home operations).

Did I see Holland Taylor in the promo for the rest of this season? Whoever this show's casting director is deserves all the awards.

• Love 1

It is a bit hard to believe Javier can last this long as a hit man. Bringing an active phone on the body to his home? Might as well broadcast to the world where he is. 

Edited by talktalk
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, talktalk said:

It is a bit hard to believe Javier can last this long as a hit man. Bringing an active phone on the body to his home? Might as broadcast to the world where he is. 

He made a point to say it's likely a burner phone. If it's not registered to the dead guy and no one is looking for him, no one can ping it (I think).

Edited by thesupremediva1

So glad this show is back.  Letty and Javier are fire in every scene they are in together.  JDB is such a good actor I'm always amazed.  I just rewatched last season and in those quiet emotional moments with his family he has this sad stillness which is just so good and honest.  He had it again tonight with Silk and then with Letty on the beach at the end.  So so good. 

• Love 3

My unspoiled theory is that his evil father (or one of his henchmen) wants Javier dead.  And Silk is gone. Sniffle.

I'm glad Letty has Jacob, but I'd rather she and Estelle shared custody of him.

I'm so sad he is still estranged from his sister.  Breaks my heart.

• Love 5

The sooner Estelle gets Jacob back the better for my viewing pleasure.  I think Letty is actually doing Jacob harm by having him with her and I find it stressful and not enjoyable to watch him with her. It also seems to me that trying to mother the boy is bringing out Letty's worst characteristics, not her best.

I agree that it is Javier's horrible father who wants him killed.

• Love 10

Wow - what an episode! Letty and Javier have such amazing chemistry, and starting off so sexy was nice! We didn't see the full rear-view last season, I don't think, and we also got Rob! --Cracked up at Jacob asking if they were done yet.

The "counter-hit" on the dock shocked me.

Having Jacob with them definitely makes things more difficult, and Letty is trying to be the perfect mom, instantly -- except for still stealing (I agree that it's odd she hasn't been caught) -- so she's sensitive and reactive. --But they have to explore this. Getting custody was her entire goal last season. It's still new. It's going to be rough for a while. Plus, she can't just put Jacob back with Estelle. Sean will swoop in and demand custody.

So sad about Silk. It's got to be Javier's dad -- perhaps ordering Jav's brother, (who was quick enough with a gun at that family dinner and seems nearly as dickish as the dad), to go after him.

Is Laura Bell Bundy supposed to be a regular? I was thinking Letty, Javier, and Jacob ought to head north, given the reception they're getting. If she's a regular, looks like they're staying put. Not that interested in the husband's problem.

So glad this is back.

• Love 2

It's back!  The hour flew by for me.  A great sign for a season 2 premiere. 

I wasn't expecting someone to be after Javier - that adds a nice, tense element.  While the Jacob story isn't my favorite part of the show, it didn't bother me this episode.  Letty does need to do better or acknowledge that she can't and take him back to Estelle. 

I hope whatever book that was too heavy to steal wasn't essential for Jacob's education :)

"This isn't how a bribe works." and "Where's your mom?"  Two of my favorite bits.  The second one especially.  The normal response would be to be embarrassed by the mistake - she just busts out laughing.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

He made a point to say it's likely a burner phone. If it's not registered to the dead guy and no one is looking for him, no one can ping it (I think).

Problem is he didn't even know there is a phone on the dead body. What if the phone is not a burner phone? 

• Love 1

Fictional characters and all, but if I found out my brother was a hit man, not only wouldn't I want him around my family, I'd sorrowfully have to rat him out to the police so as not to have his future victims on my conscience.

As compelling, touching, and passionate as I find Javier and Letty's relationship, it's still hard for me to dial back my realism meter in order to root for them. I just can't get past the fact that he's a psychopathic killer. (Well, I do root for both of them to go legit, but that would be a different show entirely.)

Edited by 2727
  • Love 1

"I was hiding those for Christmas gifts!"

"They're all for you!"

Paraphrasing, but I loved that little exchange lol. 

I am so, so happy these characters are back!  They are insanely messed up, but I am such a sucker for their angst-ridden love and desperation for each other.

• Love 4

Oh I love this show so much, and the writers gave us lots of man butt.....yummmmm.....I want to  kill Letty, but I love her just the same, but I adore her mother. Oh, and the wonderful Anne Dowd is just killing it, as always. So happy this show was renewed, there are so many horrible shows on and I find this wonderful and sick program just delightful, because I need mental help myself! Hey, did she manage to steal those four cases of wine as well, or did she actually pay for something? 

• Love 1

I'm so upset that I MISSED the first episode!  I can't believe I did it.  I had made a mental note it was on MONDAY night.  Oh well......I'll catch up.  I like reading about what's going to happen in advance. lol 

Lol at Letty trying to bribe a private school.  Letty, you're not bribing the right person, you have to bribe the school master, not what appears to be a secretary.  I was curious about the 'guardianship' papers.  There are times when a father just leaves the mother and kid and there's no court involved.  But yeah, Letty, you're going to need a birth certificate for Jacob no matter what school he goes to.

And Letty buying the wrong size clothes for Jacob.  You could see her being pleased to being ordered out of the store (with all the clothes in her purse) for being on the phone.

• Love 1

Some of my favorite moments on this show are when Letty confidently tells these elaborate lies to unsuspecting strangers. She's so good, almost believe them. The Gwyneth Paltrow thing (clearly inspired when she heard that Carin had named her daughter Apple) was amazing.

• Love 3

A small-ish moment in this ep serves well to make the point as to how ridiculous it all is.  Remember the cop who brought Michael home?  He was having none of it.  Now, in this day and age, a cop discovers a child.  How many alarm bells get set off?  Only a bazillion, or so.  Guaranteed pictures get taken of the child.  He brings him back to folks who decidedly do not look at all like him.  No way he fails to get IDs from the two adults and the name/addy of the bio-dad.  HIs career is over if he does not document the piss out of the situation and anything at all happens to the kid.  Beyond that, he was legit suspicious.  

I wish I could get into Lashever and her quirks.  The Columbo moment when she went to get her card only made me angry.  Estelle was already beyond unhappy and scared to death of her.  Quirky works on Fargo.  Not here.

I wanted to scream when Javy decided to still be a Bond villain and talktalktalk instead of just taking care of business.  That it turned out to be central to everything just makes me angry.  

My bet is that somehow, it gets so convoluted that Lashever is used to save Javy from Mr. Big, who becomes her true target.

• Love 3
On 10/16/2017 at 11:43 AM, dubbel zout said:

I am disappointed she has custody, or is even a mother at all.  It would be a lot more fun without it.

17 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I wish I could get into Lashever and her quirks.  The Columbo moment when she went to get her card only made me angry.  Estelle was already beyond unhappy and scared to death of her.  Quirky works on Fargo.  Not here.

I totally agree, I get pulled out of the story with Lashever and I couldn't figure out why.  

• Love 3

There are a lot of changes and I will have to see how things go to see if I like them. But off hand-I don't like that the neighbor lady is an addition to the cast.  I agree with others that I don't really want to see Letty being a parent to Jacob-or trying.  Estelle as a better mother to Jacob than Letty has ever been.  He went to school, was on the Little League team (even if he wasn't crazy about baseball0, he seemed to be having a pretty normal childhood.  I have to put all of that out of my head.  The very first episode when Letty was in the motel room doing all the drugs I almost quit watching.  I am glad I didn't but the juxtaposition of quirky crime show with real life can be jarring sometimes.

• Love 3
On 10/16/2017 at 11:43 AM, dubbel zout said:

I’m surprised Letty still gets away with shoplifting, as she’s not subtle about it. I know that’s part of her success, but at this point I think she should at least get the stink eye more than she does.

do these stores not have cameras and theft protection devices? i call bull shit she never got caught .

and there are guidelines and rules for homeschooling a child. you can't just get some books and think you are going to teach him when and what you want. there are state mandated tests etc. you don't just wing it on your own. ass.

i really don't like letty but i am not ready to quit yet.

27 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

and there are guidelines and rules for homeschooling a child. you can't just get some books and think you are going to teach him when and what you want. there are state mandated tests etc. you don't just wing it on your own. ass.

i really don't like letty but i am not ready to quit yet.

That depends on the state. Education guidelines vary widely state to state.  

On 10/27/2017 at 4:44 PM, UncleChuck said:

I also liked "Who's Jacob?".

I laughed at...

Letty: Why is it always a boring sport like fishing or golf?

Javier: I just do what they do. I kill a lot of white men.

On 10/23/2017 at 10:01 AM, msrachelj said:

but there are guidelines nonetheless. which she did not even look into. 

But I mean...why would she? It’s all a con, and homeschool is just one more detail she made up on the fly.

On 10/22/2017 at 4:34 PM, msrachelj said:

do these stores not have cameras and theft protection devices? i call bull shit she never got caught .

Yeah. This is really hard to believe.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1
(edited)

Loved the episode. Seems to me they've dialed up the comedy from the first season. It was like I Love Lucy, if Ricky was a hit man and Lucy a kleptomaniac.

I mean this as a compliment.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1