Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers And Shockers

• Start Topic

(edited)

Don't get it twisted..I am a Phloe fan for life, but, I loved his chemistry with Belle....I may not agree with the casting of Philip, but he is needed on the show...I am liking where Higley and Griffith are going with this..It shows me that they have long-term planning for this show..I am loving this reboot..We need Andrew, Stefanie, Chloe, JT, Joy, Allie, Johnny, Sydney and the Kiriakis Brothers on the scene....Kim and Shane also need to come back for an arch...

Edited by Apprentice79

Oh... I am of two minds about this.

On the one hand, JPL developed some extremely bad habits on OLTL but on the other hand, he was also a particular pet of Brian Frons AND the show-runners so they never did anything to rein him in.

I know he can do so and he has a certain amount of talent but holy hell I was so beyond fatigued with him then that I'm not sure I even want to see him. So I guess we'll see.

• Love 5

NOOOOOOO!!!!

I don't think I can do this. I watched his tics and quirks and mugging for too many years on OLTL, and I just can't do it again. Like Dandesun, I have JPL-fatigue.  I'll keep up with Steve/Kayla scenes on Youtube (assuming Higley doesn't immediately ruin them) but I don't see Days going back onto my daily viewing schedule anytime soon. Such a bummer.

• Love 5

NOOOOOOO!!!!

I don't think I can do this. I watched his tics and quirks and mugging for too many years on OLTL, and I just can't do it again. Like Dandesun, I have JPL-fatigue.  I'll keep up with Steve/Kayla scenes on Youtube (assuming Higley doesn't immediately ruin them) but I don't see Days going back onto my daily viewing schedule anytime soon. Such a bummer.

I felt the same way when I first saw those headlines.  NOOOO!!!!  

Dena is bringing back all her faves from OLTL. Don't get me wrong...I loved that show from day one and still really miss all my "peeps"...but....yeah, JPL just got way to hammy for me at the end. That being said, I do remember he was quite good at the beginning of his run there. I'm hoping maybe time has helped him lose some of those annoying tics. (Yes, some call me a dreamer.) 

So I'll probably give him a chance....but as Phillip K.? Ummm yeah, I don't know about that.....

I just don't trust Dena...at all...ever.

• Love 3

Here is Claire Brady, Shawn and Belle's 15 year old daughter.. The actress' name is Olivia Rose Keegan..She looks so much like the original Belle...

10407628_603696666439278_706075772051310

She looks photoshopped within an inch of her life.

• Love 1

It's freaking me out! She can't be real! In a way, that's somehow perfect. Of course Madame Marlena Sinister would create a synthetic daughter who suggests a visit into Uncanny Valley! 

Of course!

(By the way, when she moves and such, like in the video, it's much better. It's just that first picture... it reminds me of those Japanese Lolita pictures I see on tumblr all the time. Too pretty in a way.)

• Love 3

No they're not. Fairly certain she got married recently.

JPL has been in LA since OLTL was ended and he's done some other work that does not rely on tics and twitches so it's conceivable that he could put some good work in. It's equally conceivable that he'll revert to bad habits.

• Love 4
(edited)

NOOOOOOO!!!!

OH.MY.GOD.  NOT JPL.  And I'm not screaming as much as I am weeping.  My apologies to the JPL and FF fans, but those two became a nightmare translated to screentime when they were together on OLTL.  I just can't......

JPL as Victor and Kate's son??  Ahhhh, nope.  Kate would have drowned him in the lake and if he'd popped back up, Victor would have held him down.  His "quirky" charm totally escapes me.  

WTF, Show.....so what's next?  They gonna hire Spinelli from GH and really make my head explode????  I know!   Maybe RIchard Simmons can come to town and do a nude "Dancin' to (and with) the Oldies" with Maggie in nothing but her big hair.  I'll be mixing my drinks extra strong.

Bad idea, Show....

Edited by boes
  • Love 5

Are they planning on recasting Will? I can only hope. Super bummed Aiden is out a new character I actually like, gives me a case of the sads. I could live w/o the Shawn D and Belle return, didn't care for them then can't imagine I will now.

• Love 2

I would gladly welcome Mimi and FF back. I already have several people in mind that I would get rid of to pay her salary and give her screen time. Starting with KM.

I liked FF's Mimi just fine - DAYS never made the mistake of trying to make her a full-blown dramatic lead like OLTL did. I was just concerned that if she and JPL were still together, she'd come back and they would force the characters together just like we have to put up with Nicole/Dan largely because the actors are together IRL, and I got utterly sick of watching them together on OLTL.

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh... I am of two minds about this.

On the one hand, JPL developed some extremely bad habits on OLTL but on the other hand, he was also a particular pet of Brian Frons AND the show-runners so they never did anything to rein him in.

I know he can do so and he has a certain amount of talent but holy hell I was so beyond fatigued with him then that I'm not sure I even want to see him. So I guess we'll see.

Same here.  Since I'm a relatively new viewer I have no other Philip Kiriakis with which to compare.

But, when JPL first came on OLTL he was pretty good.  I don't remember him being terrible when I stopped watching in the mid-2000s (maybe he was?), but he was indeed awful at the end.  It was the tics, as everyone said, and the unsympathetic way he played the character.  I came to despise Rex Balsam or Buchanan or whatever last name he ended up with, and especially hated the way he treated the stupidly named and coiffed Gigi (even though I didn't like her, either).  Perhaps he will be better with non-Ron Carliavati writing and non-Frank Valentini producing. 

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 1

Same here.  Since I'm a relatively new viewer I have no other Philip Kiriakis with which to compare.

But, when JPL first came on OLTL he was pretty good.  I don't remember him being terrible when I stopped watching in the mid-2000s (maybe he was?), but he was indeed awful at the end.  It was the tics, as everyone said, and the unsympathetic way he played the character.  I came to despise Rex Balsam or Buchanan or whatever last name he ended up with, and especially hated the way he treated the stupidly named and coiffed Gigi (even though I didn't like her, either).  Perhaps he will be better with non-Ron Carliavati writing and non-Frank Valentini producing. 

I didn't mind him in small doses.  And maybe it's the "Gigi years" that totally soured any good opinion of him I ever had, and now I don't even remember If I ever really liked him.  Acting against Mark Lawson sure as hell did him no favors.  He got so manic, and worked overtime to be just the cutest damn thing in Port Charles.  And then with Farah Fath.....of her, I have no words, at least none I would post in this forum.

JPL as Victor's kid????  Kate, okay, I could see that, after all, she is Austin's mother.  But VICTOR??  Nah.  nope.

• Love 1
(edited)

I only remember FF as being loud, initiating the four's company across the hall, being devious and dressing silly.  I don't know.  I'm not sure about the black hole microscoping of the remaining soap talent.  Phillip has a certain face and demeanor for me.  Billy Flynn would have matched. 

New Belle looks like Martha Madison/Kristen Storm.  She looks talented, I'll give her a chance.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 1

Yes, you're absolutely right, boes.  I can easily picture JPL as Kate's son but not at all as Victor's.  I wonder who they're going to pair him with, because if it's with the woman who played Chloe, then I can't see that, either.

Luckily I skipped most of the Gigi years.  I stopped watching when it became clear that TSJ was going to gobble up the show.  Now there was a tic-laden ham!  I do not care for TSJ and frankly am relieved that he's not the one showing up on Days, so that's probably why I'm meh about JPL.  It could be worse!!!!

Now I'm going to REPENT (tm Nina from GH) for a few days for even bringing up Trevor's name. 

• Love 2

it's too bad they couldn't get Jay to come back - he would definitely be my first choice for Phillip but don't actually mind JPL & I think he could be good as Phillip - I'm glad they are bringing him back.

I'm cautiously optimistic about where the show is headed - some of my favorites are coming back & I'm really hoping the new writers do the stories justice.

• Love 1
(edited)

Here is the new Philip as he looks today...Martha who plays Belle has been gushing about him. She calls him the best recast ever on tweeter. He airs in December...I am going to miss Jay, but Philip is needed and I need him take back Parker from that orange doctor...

CKFpdlQUsAAfeso.jpg

Edited by Apprentice79
(edited)

Yes. most of them have contracts....I hope Bryan gets one and he gets focus by the new regime...I want him to get a real love interest that only has eyes for Lucas....A teenage Allie would be fun....She should be in town with her family...

Edited by Apprentice79

Yes, you're absolutely right, boes.  I can easily picture JPL as Kate's son but not at all as Victor's.  I wonder who they're going to pair him with, because if it's with the woman who played Chloe, then I can't see that, either.

Luckily I skipped most of the Gigi years.  I stopped watching when it became clear that TSJ was going to gobble up the show.  Now there was a tic-laden ham!  I do not care for TSJ and frankly am relieved that he's not the one showing up on Days, so that's probably why I'm meh about JPL.  It could be worse!!!!

Now I'm going to REPENT (tm Nina from GH) for a few days for even bringing up Trevor's name. 

TSJ was so twitchy his initials should have stood for a syndrome.  Even thinking of him makes me want to scratch something.  And, he made it apparent he was always too good for the show.  

Umm, nah, not so much...

Here is the new Philip as he looks today...Martha who plays Belle has been gushing about him. She calls him the best recast ever on tweeter. He airs in December...I am going to miss Jay, but Philip is needed and I need him take back Parker from that orange doctor...

CKFpdlQUsAAfeso.jpg

Oh......gAWD......well, I guess not everything can be great.  And maybe he's better than he was.  But probably not.  Perhaps he'll just have playdates with Ciarra, who will probably make him cry.  I know I'm tearing up just imagining him trying to snark it up with Victor.....

• Love 5
(edited)

I am hoping that he is good because we need a Kiriakis that can go dark..I had hopes for Sonny going dark, but the show is scared to go there with him...It will be interesting to see Philip interact with Kate, Victor, Bo, Shawn, Claire, Belle Daniel, Will, Sonny, Justin, Adrienne, Lucas. I wished Billie was in town, I always loved their bond, especially when they were looking for his son Tyler.....He needs to get him back as well....That is why it was a kick in the gut, for taking away Parker from him and giving him to Daniel..Philip wanted to be the father to Parker that he could not be for Tyler..He had so much regrets about giving him up..Philip and Xander as Alex Kiriakis could have been a lethal duo, with Philip being the brains of the operation and Xander being the muscle..Damn you Tomsell for ruining him...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2

I am hoping that he is good because we need a Kiriakis that can go dark..

I so agree - but Apprentice, have you seen his work?  They tried on occasion to have him go dark on OLTL and what we got was a blond-streaked Eddie Haskell wannabe who couldn't kick his way out of a sandbox without crying for mommy.  

Well, at least THIS time his Mommy is Kate.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes I did, when he was Rex Balsom on One life to live and he started out good when he was Natalie's brother, then he became bad..He should have been the guy that Will slept with in LA, coming to town to cause trouble for Wilson...He and Paul could have teamed up to keep them apart...I am hoping that he took acting lessons and has gotten better..I remember how Ari Zucker who plays  Nicole was pretty bad when she started, she left the show, took some acting classes and became a dynamite actress..I am being optimistic, because I want Philip back.. I need Jack to be back and Andrew Donovan to become a thorn on the side of Philip's kiriakis..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2

Yes I did, when he was Rex Balsom on One life to live and he started out good when he was Natalie's brother, then he became bad..He should have been the guy that Will slept with in LA, coming to town to cause trouble for Wilson...He and Paul could have teamed up to keep them apart...

Well, I'm going to hope along with you that this works.  Because it sure would be nice to have an actual Kiriakis in the Mansion instead of all those interlopers.

• Love 1
(edited)

That's some...Tarzan-ian hair JPL is sporting.

For all my "The horror...THE HORROR" yesterday, I'm a little curious, if only to see how much the hatred I felt by the end of OLTL was about JPL and how much of it was about Rex and the way he was written/propped.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 6

He was the Daniel of one life to live, they made him Clint's son when it was not necessary to do so..I hated him and Gigi together..I remember he was supposed to be in a gay storyline involving Natalie's ex that was dating Jessica..He and the guy were supposed to be lovers scamming Jessica out of her money..ABC was scared to go there....

• Love 1

Yes, he got very over-propped. The guy actually can generate chemistry with people but the character had no business being as high and mighty as he turned out being. That he had the police commissioner's stamp of approval opened up the gates to just absolute ridiculous propping. And pushing him into a role that Rex Balsom had no business being in just exacerbated some bad habits.

And, of course, I'll always love that scene of Blair snatching him up out of a chair by his hair.

He HAS talent and he CAN work without relying on the twitches and tics but it will be up to the show to handle that aspect and try to rein it in. And, hey, maybe being off OLTL has helped in that regard.

• Love 4
(edited)

And, of course, I'll always love that scene of Blair snatching him up out of a chair by his hair.

And the glorious time Schuyler (Scott Clifton) slugged him in the face.

I think what's gonna work against him is, because he's playing a known entity, they won't ease JPL onto the canvas.  It'll be full throttle from the jump.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2

Are JPL and Farah Fath still together? If so, we're risking a Mimi return and her being hooked up with Philip...because watching JPL and FF together on OLTL wasn't annoying enough!

When Mimi left at the end of the Phillip/Belle/Shawn/Mimi quadrangle, a fan on another board speculated that in a few years, a SORASed Claire would fall in love with a new guy and, just when things were heating up, Mimi would show up to reveal he was her and Shawn's son because she was secretly pregnant when she left. I expect that to happen any time now that they're all returning.

• Love 1

Criminy, TeeVee, give us a warning when you post disturbing images like this one! ;)

Hi Phillip!

8-17-09.jpg

JPL as Victor and Kate's son??  Ahhhh, nope.  Kate would have drowned him in the lake and if he'd popped back up, Victor would have held him down.  His "quirky" charm totally escapes me.  

Boes, I love your entire post, but this part made my day.

TSJ was so twitchy his initials should have stood for a syndrome.

As did this!

To be fair to JPL, he started out on OLTL as just another unremarkable teen/twentysomething. After Jenn's death* when he started working with core character Bo (heavy hitter Bob Woods) that he got noticeably better. In fact, for a few years there in the mid-2000s,  Rex/JPL was one of my favorites. It wasn't until the one-two punch of being paired with FF (both on and offscreen) and becoming one of Frons' pets (which meant no reining in and front-burner story lines all the time) that he became unbearable to watch (for me at least). So, there's a chance he could be better here, especially if some of John Aniston and Lauren Koslow's awesomeness rubs off on him. Am I hopeful this will happen? No, I am not.

*And Jenn's death was what taught us that "fun exit" in Higley-speak means "strangled on a trash heap by a closeted crooked politician who will then stage your murder to look like suicide." Good times!

• Love 1