Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Nicole strikes me as someone who might try to get pregnant to try and keep a man, fortunately it will not happen in Morocco but I bet the minute Azan steps foot in the USA Nicole will be tracking her cycles.  

I think Azan has zero interest in giving her the halal meat injection.  And how could they even. . . .not going there.  Eww.  

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

I think Azan has zero interest in giving her the halal meat injection.  And how could they even. . . .not going there.  Eww.  

They have already had sex at least once and yes overweight people can have sex.

• Love 6

OMG,  nothing  could have prepared me for seeing Miss Smuggs McSmuggerson in action.  It’s all about me and Murcia is just the bestest most speshul place in the whole wide world (even though taking care of their own people is something this country totally sucks at) and that David should be licking her feet to get to come here?

There’s s no such thing as “a European dream” .  Da fuck????

I loved how David shut her down, but as we see in previews, he’s going to be someone I’m not going to like.

Good thing David is staying with Pastor Tim.  These two kids are going to need some premarital counseling.

• Love 19
15 minutes ago, Boofish said:

Next weekend, my fiance and I will be shopping for water buffalo. I had no idea what to wear until now

Never mind the outfit.  Bring lots of gold.  And donuts.  Buffalo like donuts.  <—crossover spoiler for next comment. . . .

3 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

That town looked cute, but boring as hell.  

Cute and boring are the same thng, town-wise and often otherwise.  And what was the deal with the donut appetizer for breakfast?  Was that her idea of how to impress a furriner?  

Edited by Sprockets
forgot a thing
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

And what was the deal with the donut appetizer for breakfast

I'm sure Evelyn insisted that they have the best donuts in the world, so they should have one before eating the pancakes that were bigger than a human head. The carbs! The carbs! 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

I'm sure Evelyn insisted that they have the best donuts in the world, so they should have one before eating the pancakes that were bigger than a human head.

I'm pretty sure she saw her food again five minutes after eating it.  

But it's the best breakfast place in town!  Better than the Waffle House out on Route 117 by the auto parts place!  Whee!  

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Never mind the outfit.  Bring lots of gold.  And donuts.  Buffalo like donuts.  <—crossover spoiler for next comment. . . .

Cute and boring are the same thng, town-wise and often otherwise.  And what was the deal with the donut appetizer for breakfast?  Was that her idea of how to impress a furriner?  

After watching her pretending to drink that coffee and nibble on that one egg, I honestly thought that one donut was their entire breakfast. I'm not diagnosing anyone but homegirl has an interesting relationship with food; at least on camera.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Nicole strikes me as someone who might try to get pregnant to try and keep a man, fortunately it will not happen in Morocco but I bet the minute Azan steps foot in the USA Nicole will be tracking her cycles.  

Well, that's how she got May. She chased off to Texas to be with some clown she "met" online. Surprise! He bails and she comes home pregnant. And I am very sure that she will be trying her sexy, kittenish wiles on Azan once more because I will bet anyone here a shiny quarter that her greatest ambition at this point to to have Azan's baby.

22 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

That is exactly what I thought. She's way too invested in making sure we all know that she is a Healthy Corn Fed American Girl who loves her donuts. Right. Her mother had to beg her to eat an egg the other day! One egg!

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Kellyee said:

I know it will never happen, but Child Protective Services should be involved when a parent brings a total stranger to live in their house with their under-aged children. Or when a twit takes her toddler to another country and declares that she plans to leave her small child with a stranger to test whether he is a good father. It makes me sick.

I think this is a completely normal reaction. But yeah, not only can CPS not scale to be a proactive/preventative agency rather than a reactive one, it would be a nightmarish scenario and probably usher some Handmaid's Tale type dystopia. It would probably mean that conservative ideals around families and child-rearing would become actual law. It's good that we differentiate between bad parenting and abuse/neglect that threatens children's lives, because the government shouldn't be deciding some of those grayer areas on how to parent. But it's totally natural to witness a child in a precarious-seeming situation and wish something could be done.

It's kind of that same thing as wishing people had to take tests to become parents, some sort of safety net to ensure the dangerous or incompetent aren't breeding. I think it comes from a knee-jerk reaction rooted in compassion, but put into practice, it means eugenics and forced sterilizations and all kinds of horrible evils targeting the "undesirables" of society. It's not the answer. 

• Love 16

I almost forgot this.  When Molly and her angry driving daughter were in the front seat of the car and the youngest daughter and not-Pedro were in the back, and she told on him for not having his seatbelt on.  She said something like "if you don't have your belt on, you have to sit very still."  Now, where did she learn that?  

Also, Molly had her seatbelt halfway on, in that illegal way some people do, without the shoulder strap.  

Whyohwhy do the producers not refuse to film if everyone is not wearing their seatbelts correctly?  

• Love 12
1 hour ago, annewithaneee said:

I think this is a completely normal reaction. But yeah, not only can CPS not scale to be a proactive/preventative agency rather than a reactive one, it would be a nightmarish scenario and probably usher some Handmaid's Tale type dystopia. It would probably mean that conservative ideals around families and child-rearing would become actual law. It's good that we differentiate between bad parenting and abuse/neglect that threatens children's lives, because the government shouldn't be deciding some of those grayer areas on how to parent. But it's totally natural to witness a child in a precarious-seeming situation and wish something could be done.

It's kind of that same thing as wishing people had to take tests to become parents, some sort of safety net to ensure the dangerous or incompetent aren't breeding. I think it comes from a knee-jerk reaction rooted in compassion, but put into practice, it means eugenics and forced sterilizations and all kinds of horrible evils targeting the "undesirables" of society. It's not the answer. 

I agree with everything you said. It is my normal reaction to be upset, and a little disgusted, but where would the line be drawn? I am 5 years older than my husband. If my husband were 20 years older than me, and I already had kids when we got together, should CPS have been called in in to investigate him? What if he were 15 years, 10 years younger? Who would decide on these things? As a former travel writer, I have traveled around the world with my toddlers-sometimes alone. Should CPS have been involved? I once took them to the country where their father was from and they met THOSE relatives. They'd never met them before; neither had I. We even stayed with them. 

Once we start getting into those gray areas, I think the world becomes a scarier place. We, as the audience, see things about Nicole that make us cringe. If CPS were to get involved in a case like that, however, then we'd all be at their mercy. We already live in a world where anyone can call in a tip on anyone and an investigation be opened (whether the fear was valid or just plain made up out of spite). As a former social worker, I've seen people lose their friends and jobs over child abuse investigations that were based on nothing more than an angry neighbor trying to get revenge. (Investigation later proved unfounded but, by then, the damage was done.) I am content snarking on Nicole and leaving the real investigations to cases that need to be worked. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 13
38 minutes ago, Boofish said:

homegirl has an interesting relationship with food; at least on camera.

Mm hm.  Like you, I am not diagnosing, but I got that vibe from her almost immediately.  She also looks insubstantial, almost translucent.  Girl needs to get some meat into her, ha ha.  

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Mm hm.  Like you, I am not diagnosing, but I got that vibe from her almost immediately.  She also looks insubstantial, almost translucent.  Girl needs to get some meat into her, ha ha.  

That's why she's getting married - ba dum dum CHING!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Sprockets said:

CPS is not adequately funded as it is.  They have enough trouble dealing with actual physical trauma, starvation, etc., without dealing with people's suspicions about the future.  No law enforcement agency takes action based on stupid things people do that might go wrong.  

Well, some agency, I'm not sure which, investigates the hell out of people trying to adopt.  I know there is no money to do it, but it might be good policy to also look into these wanna be step-dads moving in with children.  The moms are so fueled by raging hormones (I'm looking at you Molly), that their judgment can't be trusted.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Liamsmom617 said:

Good Gawd, Evelyn is unlikable! With every word out of her mouth, I detest her more. What a self-entitled, haughty little brat she is! WWJD, Evelyn? 

This is not going to be a happy marriage for our foreign friend. In my opinion, it seems like Evelyn thinks that anyone who is with her has hit the jackpot. Especially someone who is the first man she said I love you too and is going to let ::shudder:: deflower her.  If I were him, I would run so fast in the opposite direction that I would make that dugger jerk/Partridge family wannabe’s head spin.

• Love 11

How much you want to bet Luis gets into a fight with Olivia and Molly sides with Luis?

Sorry but Luis gave me the creeps.  Molly is not a good mother.  Good mother’s dont pick up much younger men in a foreign country, use hard earned money to get him here and have is move in.  What a shining example of motherhood.  

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I totally agree on Olivia. Her mother put her in a horrible situation.  She has every right to be upset and to not give a warm welcome to her new "step dad".  

I don't agree. Her mother is a grown women.  Her mother is obviously hard working and successful. She is entitled to a happy life. She is entitled to make her own decisions regarding her life. People with children get married all the time. Blended families happen every day.  The fact that he's Hispanic and younger seems to be the problem and that's too bad.  

Olivia seems to be intentionally rude, maybe for the cameras. 

Olivia will be out on her own soon, away to college or a job. Her little sister, more importantly, is thrilled with the company. 

5 hours ago, shockermolar said:

Not actually a fact. Kids are all different and self-soothe in different ways. I had one that never had an interest in a pacifier and another one that had them until he was just shy of 3 when he transitioned to a blanket that he dragged everywhere for another solid year and a half.  

Mine was five. Luckily I didn't care about judgy people.  She's a calm kid who loved that thing and it didn't bother me. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Sprockets said:

But it's the best breakfast place in town!  Better than the Waffle House out on Route 117 by the auto parts place!  Whee!  

Agreed.  The food refunders love eating sugary things.  Tastes good coming back through.  Fun fact.

There's a Waffle House?  That's the winner then!!!

I didn't see the preview for next week as the DVR cut it off but maybe it's tricky TLC editing that makes him look nasty.  I reserve judgement until I see the heavily edited episode.  It seems so petty to go after one of her friends..I wouldn't bother no matter what the argument especially if it had to do with what she thought of me marrying her friends.   I can see him getting snarky at the whole wedding thing tuxedo thing though.

2 hours ago, Bugfrey Von said:

This is not going to be a happy marriage for our foreign friend. In my opinion, it seems like Evelyn thinks that anyone who is with her has hit the jackpot. Especially someone who is the first man she said I love you too and is going to let ::shudder:: deflower her.  If I were him, I would run so fast in the opposite direction that I would make that dugger jerk/Partridge family wannabe’s head spin.

I'm happy that in the end though he can just get a divorce and his life will go on (cue Titanic music) but ol Evelyn is going to be in a world of hurt from the not nice things that happened to her during her brief marriage.  The good news is that she can always move back home and sing with the FundieBand at Cafe Falling Leaves to get her confidence back up.   Used gum though and all that.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Lemons said:

I don't agree. Her mother is a grown women.  Her mother is obviously hard working and successful. She is entitled to a happy life. She is entitled to make her own decisions regarding her life. People with children get married all the time. Blended families happen every day.  The fact that he's Hispanic and younger seems to be the problem and that's too bad.  

Olivia seems to be intentionally rude, maybe for the cameras. 

Olivia will be out on her own soon, away to college or a job. Her little sister, more importantly, is thrilled with the company. 

Mine was five. Luckily I didn't care about judgy people.  She's a calm kid who loved that thing and it didn't bother me. 

I don't think Olivia cares that he is Hispanic. I think it is the fact that he is only 9 years older than her, 15 years younger than her Mom, creepy as Hell and that her Mom barely knows him is what is freaking her out 

Yes, a single Mom or Dad can remarry.  But, it is incredibly selfish and reckless to import some creep you barley know and bring him into your daughters' home.  

If she gave a crap about her girls she would find someone local who she could take the time to get to know.  Alternatively, she could have Luis live someplace else for a couple of months while she and the girls get to know him.

• Love 16
6 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Right? I wondered upthread what Evelyn and David could possibly have in common, but it seems they are both petty, selfish, tactless twits.

Agreed on all counts. I give Luis a pass on the "my father would have spanked me if I'd spoken to him that way" part though--it was a talking head and I'm sure he was led into that answer by a producer. But I'm keeping my eyes on you, Luis! He seems like a cheerful, easygoing type, so I'm hoping he'll just shine it on and not stick his neck into Molly's parenting.

And really, nagging Olivia is hardly the way to win her over. Molly was obviously mortified by Olivia's behavior, but it would have been much more productive to ignore her. Give her her privacy and let her approach this in her own time. And yes, Olivia knows that her mother is always going to put Luis first, despite her ceaseless protestations to the contrary. Olivia has seen it all before.

That whole scene screamed TLC setup. I can't even imagine what my reaction would be if the first thing a lawyer asked me about my fiance was "has he ever been in a bar fight?". WTF? And why is Elizabeth so upset over the length of time its taking? Surely she understands that its not quick? The whole thing was a clumsy bit of exposition meant to inform us that Andrei has a temper and gets in bar fights. I will bet a quarter this all goes away by next week, magically. Oh look! Andrei has never been arrested! He never overstayed his tourist visa! Let's bring him over so he can start not getting along with Elizabeth's family! Whee!

The scene was so clunky.  They could have faked the lawyer bringing up the application or reviewing a fake file and saying “I see here it looks like there is an offence for a bar fight” and it would have seemed a more natural way to bring up Andrei’s issues.

TLC pays these people okay money.  I don’t see why for at least the first 30 days Luis couldn’t rent a small apartment and then go over for dinner every day.  It would allow the girls to get to know him but give them some space.  Or even do the full 90 days apart and  only live together if/when married.

Edited by fountain
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

There's a Waffle House?  That's the winner then!!!

The drunks and druggies need somewhere to go at 3:00 a.m., and the pastor's spare room is occupied now.  Presumable Evelyn has been there, because the restaurant she took David to is "the best" in the area, so she must have done the research.    

3 minutes ago, fountain said:

They could have faked the lawyer bringing up the application or reviewing a fake file and saying “I see here it looks like there is an offence for a bar fight” and it would have seemed a more natural way to bring up Andrei’s issues.

That would have looked even worse, because no lawyer has access to visa applications in process.  There really was no reason for her to see a lawyer at all at this point.  The information she walked out with was stuff she could have - and should have - gotten online, quite a while ago.  

• Love 2

A few random thoughts since most of what I'm thinking has already been covered...

-It is quite ironic that Evelyn seems to think David's friends should have no problem coughing up the money for the tuxedos when she has probably never paid for anything on her own during her 18 year existence on this earth.

-This show never covers the important info.  What does David do for a living (either David)?  Where will Evelyn and her Spaniard live after the wedding?  Maybe Pastor Tim can rent out his little side apartment?!

-I understand why Molly's teenage daughter is upset.  Forget the fact that this is a man who is closer in age to her than to her mother for a moment.  Also forget the fact that she never met Louis before he came to live in their house (!)  I would be embarrassed beyond belief simply because Molly is my mother.  She acts like she is 16.  I wouldn't want that broadcast all over the country.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

The drunks and druggies need somewhere to go at 3:00 a.m., and the pastor's spare room is occupied now.  Presumable Evelyn has been there, because the restaurant she took David to is "the best" in the area, so she must have done the research.    

That would have looked even worse, because no lawyer has access to visa applications in process.  There really was no reason for her to see a lawyer at all at this point.  The information she walked out with was stuff she could have - and should have - gotten online, quite a while ago.  

I just assumed an immigration lawyer would see applications of his/her clients.  I guess they don’t.

4 hours ago, Sprockets said:

Better than the Waffle House out on Route 117 by the auto parts place!  Whee!  

No Waffle Houses in New England so that would be a long drive.

I love Evelyn's reasoning that her bridesmaids were paying for their dresses or not being in the wedding, I would take that out if I were them, not taking into account that the probably live in a 5 mile radius and aren't travelling from Spain.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, fountain said:

I just assumed an immigration lawyer would see applications of his/her clients.  I guess they don’t.

Was that her immigration lawyer?  She introduced herself at the beginning of the appointment, so I assumed they hadn't met before.  She also didn't seem at all familiar with the case.  Maybe she's just useless.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I don't think Olivia cares that he is Hispanic. I think it is the fact that he is only 9 years older than her, 15 years younger than her Mom, creepy as Hell and that her Mom barely knows him is what is freaking her out 

Yes, a single Mom or Dad can remarry.  But, it is incredibly selfish and reckless to import some creep you barley know and bring him into your daughters' home.  

If she gave a crap about her girls she would find someone local who she could take the time to get to know.  Alternatively, she could have Luis live someplace else for a couple of months while she and the girls get to know him.

Why is he automatically a creep?  He might be but we don't see anything creepy yet.

With the internet and dating apps it's more common than ever that people meet a future spouse who lives far away. Plus I don't think a fifteen year age difference is a big deal at their current ages.  Evelyn and Dave espanol are only about nine years apart but considering she is a teenage, that's a bigger problem. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Lemons said:

Why is he automatically a creep?  He might be but we don't see anything creepy yet.

With the internet and dating apps it's more common than ever that people meet a future spouse who lives far away. Plus I don't think a fifteen year age difference is a big deal at their current ages.  Evelyn and Dave espanol are only about nine years apart but considering she is a teenage, that's a bigger problem. 

Luis has a generally creepy air about him.  The single creepiest thing I saw was during the tour of Kensley's room when he told her she would have to start spending the whole night their because he would be sleeping with her Mommy.

A man marrying a woman 15 years older than him is extremely rare.  Evelyn is too young to be marrying anyone, IMO,  but if she were a couple of years older her age difference with David wouldn't be a huge deal.

I get that people meet people from far away, but IMO it is horrible to bring a man you barley know into your home when you have children, especially daughters.

A responsible parent would have set up Luis at her Dad's, a motel or her "Pastor Tim's," or whatever, for a couple of months so she could get to know him better, make sure she can trust him with her girls and to ease the transition for the girls.

• Love 9

Sorry if I've missed this somewhere, but how is David Poor even approved to bring home a fiance? How is he meeting the financial requirement? I know it's not huge, but he seems to have zero gainful employment. Please tell me his one friend is not sponsoring her too!

Molly and Olivia are both in the wrong. Olivia can be upset, but she's taking it a bit far. Take the scene of them driving (and I also caught the 6 year-old's instructions for not wearing a seatbelt and freaked). Mom tells teenager to slow down on the freeway and teenager mouths off and essentially tells mom to shut it. Um, no. That should not fly, even if mom had a DUI or whatever that means she can't drive (no idea if that was confirmed). But mom is moving a stranger in that no one else has ever met, so she has every right to be pissed and express those feeling. There's so much we don't know here... But Molly is the adult. She needs to listen to her daughter, and maybe look into counseling. And send the camera crew packing. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I get that people meet people from far away, but IMO it is horrible to bring a man you barley know into your home when you have children, especially daughters.

A responsible parent would have set up Luis at her Dad's, a motel or her "Pastor Tim's," or whatever, for a couple of months so she could get to know him better, make sure she can trust him with her girls and to ease the transition for the girls.

I've been thinking about this, and despite my general dislike for Molly, it's admittedly difficult to bring Luis over without taking the plunge at some point. Like, even if he lived somewhere apart for all/most of the 90 days, you don't really know what it's like to live with someone until you're actually sharing space. It's going to be a sudden and difficult transition whether it happens on the first or ninetieth night. And, knowing someone well is far from a surefire way to prevent child sexual abuse. After all, so many people who hurt children are relatives or close friends for decades, introduced in much more traditional ways, and still the eventual revelation of abuse is an absolute shocker. 

I think where Molly could have done better is in the lead-up to the 90 days seeking therapy for herself and her girls, both solo and together (and maybe Skyping Luis in too, with Molly, for a session or two). If I put myself in Molly's shoes, and I'm truly madly in love and through whatever set of circumstances this sudden introduction and move-in is really our best-laid plans, I'd plan on moving forward, but with a impartial third party to help strategize things and check in with my kids, for them to have a safe space to confide in all their anger and fear and confusion surrounding the upcoming changes. And also to give my children an avenue once the guy does move in, someone they will hopefully see as a trusted adult and can confide in if they're in any way uncomfortable, struggling, or being hurt. Even in more "traditional" blending of families there's no way to safeguard your children against harm, but I think that would be a good measure to take, keep a professional around to help observe the behaviors of the kids before and after the transition, ask gentle questions, help them navigate their feelings.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, kacesq said:

Luis lost me when he told Molly's little girl (Kinsley?) that she had to sleep in her room because he'd be sleeping with Mom now.  Within what? An hour of knowing the little girl?  And even if the little girl had been staying in Mom's room, maybe that's for Molly to discuss with her, Luis, not you. 

I feel bad for poor Olivia.  As others have stated, she's stuck driving around Molly, now she has another new guy she's moved in and it's on camera. I'd stay in the basement as much as possible, too. 

Molly keeps saying that Olivia is upset because she'll have to "share" her mom. This false explanation makes Olivia sound like a small, selfish child. The real reason Olivia is upset is that she feels like the situation seems so not quite right. And, she's right!

Luis smiles a lot, but he reminds me of a hotel employee. They smile at you whether they're having a good day or a bad day because they just don't care. It's their job to create a pleasant atmosphere, and that's what he's doing for Molly. Smile and laugh a lot. Give her kisses and affection. Depending on his ambition or lack thereof, he may stay with Molly for quite some time, but it will be because he fell in love with her house, not with Molly. Olivia sees this and that's why she's upset. Not because she won't get her fair share of mother/daughter time!

10 hours ago, shockermolar said:

Evelyn. Jesus with that girl. She doesn't need to get married - she needs to get educated.

Hey, Evelyn! Fun Fact: You're a bitch!

Edited by CoachWristletJen
  • Love 23
8 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Does she have the intellectual capacity to track her cycles? Hell, I know she had May, but does she actually understand where babies come from?

• Love 12

I understand why Olivia is upset, but she was being rude and immature. If I saw a tape of myself acting that way in front of someone I had just met, I would be embarrassed.

Evelyn is a spoiled princess. Frankly, I can't see what is so special about her. She only looked better in comparison to her homely friend. She showed how truly ugly she is by disrespecting where David comes from and only caring about what SHE wanted at HER wedding. I don't feel sorry for David though. I'm sure his life was great in Spain. He's the one who decided to leave that all behind to marry an 18 year old. If I were David, I would be running and screaming back to Spain after that breakfast.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, kewpiedolls said:

I understand why Olivia is upset, but she was being rude and immature. If I saw a tape of myself acting that way in front of someone I had just met, I would be embarrassed.

Evelyn is a spoiled princess. Frankly, I can't see what is so special about her. She only looked better in comparison to her homely friend. She showed how truly ugly she is by disrespecting where David comes from and only caring about what SHE wanted at HER wedding. I don't feel sorry for David though. I'm sure his life was great in Spain. He's the one who decided to leave that all behind to marry an 18 year old. If I were David, I would be running and screaming back to Spain after that breakfast.

Rude is appropriate for Olivia in this situation.  Molly is screwing over her girls to bring a creepy guy, 15 years younger than she is, who she barely knows, into their home.  Her mother's behavior is immature and crazy.  This is on top of 2 baby daddies, 2 DUIs and a drug charge.  

Molly needs people to be "rude" to her and tell her to cut the crap and try to behave like a responsible adult and caring mother instead of an irresponsible child.

I think I'd give Olivia a free pass for anything up to aggravated assault. :)

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 19
5 hours ago, kewpiedolls said:

He made my night when he shot back at her with, "fun fact, I'm a foreigner."  My wife and i howled.  She thinks a lot of herself but i don't understand why.  She's not pretty, has about 10 more teeth than the average human and is spoiled rotten.  To assume people in her little podunk town have the money to meet her wedding party demands is ludicrous.   If a bride demanded i spend that kind of money on a dress i'll only wear once, I would have no qualms saying thanks but no thanks.  I know its's tradition but damn, i'm not going to skip paying a bill because or your wedding.  David comes from a city and does not want to live in semi-rural America.  It may be quaint and home to Mr. Ed, but he is not having it.  Good for him.  Finally a man with some stones.   And if you think they haven't shared a bed yet you are sadly mistaken.  In fact, i don't think either one of them is a virgin.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, tincansailor981 said:

And if you think they haven't shared a bed yet you are sadly mistaken.  In fact, i don't think either one of them is a virgin.

BINGO!  We have a winner!  Oh yeah.  Fake virgins, the worst.  

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, tincansailor981 said:

He made my night when he shot back at her with, "fun fact, I'm a foreigner."  My wife and i howled.  She thinks a lot of herself but i don't understand why.  She's not pretty, has about 10 more teeth than the average human and is spoiled rotten.  To assume people in her little podunk town have the money to meet her wedding party demands is ludicrous.   If a bride demanded i spend that kind of money on a dress i'll only wear once, I would have no qualms saying thanks but no thanks.  I know its's tradition but damn, i'm not going to skip paying a bill because or your wedding.  David comes from a city and does not want to live in semi-rural America.  It may be quaint and home to Mr. Ed, but he is not having it.  Good for him.  Finally a man with some stones.   And if you think they haven't shared a bed yet you are sadly mistaken.  In fact, i don't think either one of them is a virgin.

I don't hate Evelyn or David, but I think they are both a bit selfish and self centered.  She wants things her way and he wants things his way.

Wedding details are a common source of drama between couples and in America I think the bride typically gets her way (within reason) as it is seen has "her day".

The "fun fact" was obnoxious and I loved David throwing back at her, though.

I think David is being selfish on more important matters, like where they will live.  He "fell in love" with a small town girl, who is very young and very close to her family.  He doesn't even seem willing to give NH a try.

Both of them are going to need to learn how to compromise if they want any hope of making it work.  Maybe they could find a place halfway between her town and Boston, so they could be within about an hour of both her family and a large city.

• Love 2
Just now, Bryce Lynch said:

I don't hate Evelyn or David, but I think they are both a bit selfish and self centered.  She wants things her way and he wants things his way.

Wedding details are a common source of drama between couples and in America I think the bride typically gets her way (within reason) as it is seen has "her day".

The "fun fact" was obnoxious and I loved David throwing back at her, though.

I think David is being selfish on more important matters, like where they will live.  He "fell in love" with a small town girl, who is very young and very close to her family.  He doesn't even seem willing to give NH a try.

Both of them are going to need to learn how to compromise if they want any hope of making it work.  Maybe they could find a place halfway between her town and Boston, so they could be within about an hour of both her family and a large city.

She young and spoiled, a lethal combination to a relationship.  They will have to deal with that first before they can cultivate a really good marriage; it won't be easy.  

I doubt he knows much about small town America, if at all.  Yes, he did fall in love with her but not with a town he knows nothing about.  Again, compromise is the key for both parties.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Rude is appropriate for Olivia in this situation.  Molly is screwing over her girls to bring a creepy guy, 15 years younger than she is, who she barely knows, into their home.  Her mother's behavior is immature and crazy.  This is on top of 2 baby daddies, 2 DUIs and a drug charge.  

Molly needs people to be "rude" to her and tell her to cut the crap and try to behave like a responsible adult and caring mother instead of an irresponsible child.

I think I'd give Olivia a free pass for anything up to aggravated assault. :)

Reading yours and other people's comments, I'm starting to change my mind about what I said. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

I've been thinking about this, and despite my general dislike for Molly, it's admittedly difficult to bring Luis over without taking the plunge at some point. Like, even if he lived somewhere apart for all/most of the 90 days, you don't really know what it's like to live with someone until you're actually sharing space. It's going to be a sudden and difficult transition whether it happens on the first or ninetieth night. And, knowing someone well is far from a surefire way to prevent child sexual abuse. After all, so many people who hurt children are relatives or close friends for decades, introduced in much more traditional ways, and still the eventual revelation of abuse is an absolute shocker. 

I think where Molly could have done better is in the lead-up to the 90 days seeking therapy for herself and her girls, both solo and together (and maybe Skyping Luis in too, with Molly, for a session or two). If I put myself in Molly's shoes, and I'm truly madly in love and through whatever set of circumstances this sudden introduction and move-in is really our best-laid plans, I'd plan on moving forward, but with a impartial third party to help strategize things and check in with my kids, for them to have a safe space to confide in all their anger and fear and confusion surrounding the upcoming changes. And also to give my children an avenue once the guy does move in, someone they will hopefully see as a trusted adult and can confide in if they're in any way uncomfortable, struggling, or being hurt. Even in more "traditional" blending of families there's no way to safeguard your children against harm, but I think that would be a good measure to take, keep a professional around to help observe the behaviors of the kids before and after the transition, ask gentle questions, help them navigate their feelings.

People living together before marriage is a fairly new concept.  I don't buy that it is necessary in order for people to get to know one another before marriage.  In this case, Molly and Luis don't know each other nearly as well as the typical couple do  when they decide to shack up.  Even if she didn't have the girls to consider, it might be smarter to date him for a month before moving him in.  But, with the girls, I think a gradual approach is essential.  

There is no surfeire way to prevent sexual abuse, but at least Molly and her family could get a better feel for Luis before having him live with her daughters.  Also, it is not just about the potential for sexual abuse.  IMO, Olivia has every right to feel as though her home has been invaded by a strange man.  If Luis lived a the Motel 6 for couple of months, and she got to know him, and didn't find him creepy or threatening, things might go a LOT smoother.  He could gradually spend more and more time in the house, until, if all went well, he started sleeping there.  

IMO, that would have been the grown up, responsible way to integrate Luis into the home and family, but Molly wants her toy boy in her bed, NOW, so to heck with her daughters, their safety and their emotional well being.    

• Love 16