Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 10/2/17

Jaded
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:
39 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I like Sunny, but, she annoys the crap out of me when she gets on her Catholic/abortion high horse.

... & when she scrunches up with that little girl pout ... it makes me stabby!!!

I agree with both of you.  She made a total fool of herself with Indris.   She should have been embarrassed, he certainly was.  

• Love 3

Apparently Sunny thinks she has "learned" some things and maybe changed a little regarding disagreements regarding abortion.   Whoopi takes her at her word and explains that she is, then, PRO-CHOICE.   Sunny backtracks...she hasn't changed.  She still feels it's her "Cath-o-lic" obligation to butt into others' most private decisions.

• Love 7

I'm a bit puzzled by Joy's comment today re her vote for JFK - her date of birth is 10/7/42, meaning she was only 18 in 11/60, when JFK ran for Pres.  Voting age was then 21.  Did I misunderstand her?  (Gotta say, she looks very naturally bodacious for 75 - a little Botox + lasagna does the job, evidently.

Once again, the make-up artists are lashing out vs beauties! Kerry & Sunny look like zombies (awful, overly pale lipstick) or an embalming error (Sara with too drab foundation troweled on & flourescent fuschia lips.)

REALLY disliked Jedi but felt a (fleeting) pang for her when Whoops clumsily introduced the Idris interview by reminding us that we'd see "Jed, oh Jedidiah uh Bila."

• Love 2

I'm 3 years younger than Joy ( both have birthdays this week) and I remember his shooting in highschool and how devastatied  I was. I was unaware of his womanizing at that time. Maybe she meant she admired him as it all becomes a blurr when we get this old. 

Had to laugh when Washington said only place she can go was there on the panel and Whoopi made a zip it face. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

I'm 3 years younger than Joy ( both have birthdays this week) and I remember his shooting in highschool and how devastatied  I was. I was unaware of his womanizing at that time. Maybe she meant she admired him as it all becomes a blurr when we get this old. 

I agree about being devastated.  I couldn't vote for him either because I wasn't 21 until June 1961.  I think most Americans were heartbroken and tabloid journalism was in its infancy...we didn't learn about his womanizing until years later.  What a disappointment--but by then most of us were grown up enough to know he wasn't the only one.   I did get to see him momentarily when he came to Phoenix for a Carl Hayden celebration.  He looked right at me!   He was stunningly handsome...but now I think it's because we saw him (mostly) in black and white.  His coloring was beautiful.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, telemachus2 said:

I'm a bit puzzled by Joy's comment today re her vote for JFK - her date of birth is 10/7/42, meaning she was only 18 in 11/60, when JFK ran for Pres.  Voting age was then 21.  Did I misunderstand her?  (Gotta say, she looks very naturally bodacious for 75 - a little Botox + lasagna does the job, evidently.

Once again, the make-up artists are lashing out vs beauties! Kerry & Sunny look like zombies (awful, overly pale lipstick) or an embalming error (Sara with too drab foundation troweled on & flourescent fuschia lips.)

REALLY disliked Jedi but felt a (fleeting) pang for her when Whoops clumsily introduced the Idris interview by reminding us that we'd see "Jed, oh Jedidiah uh Bila."

I remember that. That was brought up during the segment on Pennsylvania Congressman Tim Murphy -- the "pro-life" Republican who helped pass a 20 weeks gestation abortion ban in the House and also asked his mistress to have an abortion when she thought she was pregnant, right? (BTW, he's resigning effective 10/21/17.)

Joy did say she voted for Bill Clinton, JFK, and Ted Kennedy. I didn't think about her age at the time, but Ted Kennedy caught me up short, because she's a New Yorker. If she's ever lived in MA (which is possible), I don't remember her talking about it (although it now occurs to me she could have voted for Ted in his failed 1980 bid for the Democratic nomination). She definitely did say "vote" though. She must have meant she was for JFK. 

Sunny annoyed me during the pro-choice / pro-life conversation. I think Joy hit it on the head -- based on what Sunny said herself, about Tim Kaine swinging her over into his camp (where he is personally against abortion, but doesn't think his views should be enshrined in law). She tried to play both sides by saying she would advise someone she knows not to have an abortion. That is completely different from holding it as a political belief. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I like Sunny, but, she annoys the crap out of me when she gets on her Catholic/abortion high horse.

She hates it when Joy says she is pro-choice!  But she is when she says she wouldn't want to make the decision for another woman.  She is full of contradictions.

• Love 5

Sunny did say she would still advise a friend not have an abortion. OTOH - her personal opinion doesn't bother me as long as she continues to not want abortion to be illegal. Separation of church and state. And rights to our opinions. And I am confident that is where she draws the line.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, useryikes said:

I will be really shallow and comment on Sunny's hair & the outfit today.  That pink color of the dress & lipstick does nothing for her.  I hate, hate the hair extensions.

Color me shallow also.  At least I'm not lavender.  That's the color that came on my screen: lavender dress, lipstick, nail polish, eye shadow, AND it's not a good color for her!  I think Sarah may have had the same nail polish (lipstick too?).  Maybe the hair/makeup people thought it was  April 1.

2 hours ago, Fannysue said:

She hates it when Joy says she is pro-choice!  But she is when she says she wouldn't want to make the decision for another woman.

She said she would still try to get another woman to change her mind.   I think she'd like to see Roe v. Wade overturned (in her heart of hearts).

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 2

Just when I thought I couldn't like Joy any more, she goes & makes HER Birthday about shining the light on The Retreat that helps women & their children get out of abusive homes.  Cash & a new car that seats eight!!!  Man, you go girl.!!

• Love 24

I think sunny is just getting used to her new views.  It seems like she was pro choice for a very long time.  

Joys birthday was little and fun mostly which we really needed right now.   Barry Manillow didn’t sound very good and seemed to know it.   Was he sick ?   

• Love 4
1 hour ago, tvaddict44 said:

I think she really does like him, but he looked a little frail to me.  Has he been ill or anything recently?  His voice wasn't booming like usual.  Hope he's OK....

He's 74, and has had some bad face work done.  A lot of singers don't realize that their voices go in old age - they should be compensating for that if they insist on singing.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, backformore said:

So it's not my imagination - they really do have new makeup and hair people since the new season started, right?  

Yes, and they're not doing a very good job with anyone.

4 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Just when I thought I couldn't like Joy any more, she goes & makes HER Birthday about shining the light on The Retreat that helps women & their children get out of abusive homes.  Cash & a new car that seats eight!!!  Man, you go girl.!!

She is a joy that Joy! I can't believe she's 75 years old. She looks good.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I wonder if Joy actually requested that nasty comic dog for a humor spot.  That doesn't seem like something she would enjoy

I usually don't enjoy Triumph, the Comic Dog, but I did this time because his bit related so well to Joy.  I'd bet that she and Robert Smigel (Triumph's "operator") have done a lot of comedy and comedy writing together over the past 20 years.  Smigel has a long list of (good) credentials and awards.  Among many, he was a writer for Saturday Night Live and my favorite contribution was his creation: "The Ambiguously Gay Duo."

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

So no one said anything about Sarah's hair? At first glance, I thought she was channeling the '80s.

I didn't hate it.  OK for a change, but I wouldn't want to see it that often.

• Love 2

I saw that promo for Meghan on Monday.  What stood out to me of everything else in that ad, was something to the effect of smart AND sexy..  I didn't catch it all but it was something like that.  My immediate thought was, was that a Jed slam?  Methinks Meghan and Whoopi are going to have more than one go around.  In fact, if retirement is up for grabs, this may facilitate it.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

So no one said anything about Sarah's hair? At first glance, I thought she was channeling the '80s.

I prefer it straight or wavy. That was just too much curl and it didn't look very good. Sara is very pretty, but they've given her questionable looks over the last few weeks. Some of the maternity clothes that they choose for her aren't very flattering. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Tammee said:

What stood out to me of everything else in that ad, was something to the effect of smart AND sexy

I don't find her sexy, but that's just me!  I really hope she can make intelligent comments without being belligerent.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, useryikes said:

I don't find her sexy, but that's just me!  I really hope she can make intelligent comments without being belligerent.

Meghan has bleached out hair/extensions and wears tight Iowcut tops often....so I guess that's tv's standard for sexy.  Kind if passe', IMHO. 

Also her weight goes up and down noticeably, so she'd can talk about diversity--lol. 

From the handful of times that I have seen her on tv, "smart" would not be the term I noticed. Meghan does talk alot, but it's seems like the  attention she's gotten is only cuz she's a McCain (and shows alot of boob),  not high intellectual property.

I have to say though that I was smirking that nepotism took out that rabid conservative/libertarian/independent. 

• Love 6
On 10/5/2017 at 11:46 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

I don't remember Sunny doing anything during the IE interview except laughing when he made some innuendo out of her saying "mountain."

She was gushing all over the place.   It goes against her prudish persona so I was surprised.  I am not fond of her.  lol

So enjoying the four-women panel. They don't talk over each other as much, Joy talks more, Whoopi talks less. So not looking forward to the new addition, who is neither interesting or sexy.

FTR:  For me, Sarah fairly often really nails a point on a topic. Some brains behind that bubble.

• Love 16
On 10/5/2017 at 2:46 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

I don't remember Sunny doing anything during the IE interview except laughing when he made some innuendo out of her saying "mountain."

Sunny didn’t make any innuendo-she was saying “Mountain” but it came out sounding like “mounting” and Idris dragged that out himself, having fun teasing her about it.

And really, she’s of my generation I think, so I am surprised with her education, that she has ideals and beliefs when it comes to relationships that are straight out of the 1950s.

I like her best when she’s supporting her opinions with legal facts, or shows anger over how Congress will do nothing about gun control ever if they didn’t do shit after Sandy Hook. I’m with her on that. And it’s also on the people who voted those same senators back in after they didn’t do shit. But as always, Whoopi can’t let her have the last word, so her word salad was the last we got on this subject.

I actually liked Sara’s hair on Friday’s show. From the way some were posting, I was expecting to see the BIG HAIR that was so popular during the 80’s (shudder).

Now the shows are blurring in my head so I don’t recall if it was on this show when they were talking about gerrymandering or another?

• Love 9
6 hours ago, SunFun said:

So enjoying the four-women panel. They don't talk over each other as much, Joy talks more, Whoopi talks less. So not looking forward to the new addition, who is neither interesting or sexy.

FTR:  For me, Sarah fairly often really nails a point on a topic. Some brains behind that bubble.

Yes!  I think four is a decent number, otherwise everyone wants to get their two cents in & the result is too much talk-over.  Not looking forward to Meghan either - I find her a bit flashy.  Frankly, I found Jed just fine.  I like Sarah, too.  In reading the forums, there was a lot of talk about how dumb she was - I didn't find that.  She makes some excellent points.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Tammee said:

Smart strong woman not afraid to speak her mind' 

WoW!   This will be something new for all of us.  We've never seen a smart strong woman on this show--ever.  Color me THRILLED ! ! !

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

WoW!   This will be something new for all of us.  We've never seen a smart strong woman on this show--ever.  Color me THRILLED ! ! !

LMAO!

• Love 3

Ugh, I really dread Meghan being added.  I don't think I've ever heard her have a conversation that didn't include - I'm a Republican and I love sex!  It's amazing how all the little Republicans get born in the country when Meghan's the only who loves getting busy.  And while I cannot stand the Palin clan, Meghan attacked them post-election loss and made some elitist statements.  I think she's as spoiled and entitled as her mother.  I know the show desperately needs a younger co-host, as well as a Republican, but why her?  She's been coasting on her mother's money and her father's political status her entire life.

And I really, really, don't want the slow, daily countdown of the end of John McCain's life.  

• Love 6
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:15 PM, Former Nun said:

But, SunFun, isn't that why most of us tune in...to see some sexy woman sitting at the table?

Yes, sexy is definitely why I watch! ;) However, Whoopi is all the sexy I need.. Right, rcc?

• Love 2
On 10/5/2017 at 5:23 PM, telemachus2 said:

I'm a bit puzzled by Joy's comment today re her vote for JFK - her date of birth is 10/7/42, meaning she was only 18 in 11/60, when JFK ran for Pres.  Voting age was then 21.  Did I misunderstand her?

Well my nephew voted for Obama twice and he just turned 20.  He was allowed in the booth with his parents, teachable moment, and got to mark the ticket.

On 10/6/2017 at 3:28 PM, Bronzedog said:

I like Barry Manilow, but, to be honest, he's never had a very good voice.  But, they all seemed to be enjoying themselves.  

I missed that show so I won't scold you. lol.  Back in his heyday he was the crooner and I still love his older renditions.  Love to sing them in the car.

Wasn't this the week with an interview and Jed was there.  At first I was confused then I thought they must have pre-taped the interview so it would run with the opening of the movie.  Idris Elba?

• Love 1

I remember how Barry Manilow refused to come on the show all those years because he thought giving a platform to someone like Elisabeth was dangerous. Which made me wonder if Jedi was fired early for the sake of Joy's birthday celebration? Now that I think of it, I'm glad Joy got a birthday celebration without her or Meghan there to bring it down.

• Love 10

It seems like Barry's voice changed even more after he messed up his nose years ago. At the time I think his excuse about the nose injury was that he walked into a door. Others thought it could have been botched cosmetic surgery.