Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

I don't think I can even watch the full clip - I'm already giggling too hard.  The guy playing the alien looks like a Chippendale's dancer.  (Is the grown man-alien in Robin's bedroom?!  Great parenting, Anna!)

But at least this was a mostly contained hot mess.  Unlike the apparent conveyor line of zombie characters, serial killers with brain damage, "wacky" torturers and maniacs who refuse to go away, rubber masks from hell, Cassadine freezing extravaganza, and other assorted horrors of current GH. 

(edited)

And then by high school, Jagger, Brenda, Jason (and Karen, to a lesser extent), all looked 25 ... while Robin still looked and sounded about 13. 

Stone looked about 10 years older when they were dating (maybe the actor was)!    If you didn't know the ages of the characters, the whole thing just looked wrong

He was, almost. Michael Sutton is 8 years older than Kim McCullough.

Edited by ulkis
(edited)

I will admit that that story scared me out of having sex until I was well into college.  Yes, I am an idiot.

No, you're not an idiot. One of the things soaps did well during that time period was inform. GH informed its audience about AIDS, and breast cancer, others had stories on domestic/date abuse and alcoholism. TV soaps disseminated a lot of information to people that probably had no other reliable source for information like that. Comparing the thoroughness of the information that they incorporated into the stories then to the comparative glossing-over of Kristina's abuse more recently demonstrates (IMO) one of the reasons GH seems less compelling now. The whole tapestry doesn't get shown. 

Edited by rur
  • Love 5
(edited)
I will admit that that story scared me out of having sex until I was well into college.  Yes, I am an idiot.

Don't be so hard on your younger self. For a long time, sex = death. Until they figured out exactly how HIV was transmitted, those years were pretty scary.

Michael Sutton is 8 years older than Kim McCullough.

And at their particular ages, that makes a huge difference.

Edited by dubbel zout
(edited)

Making two corrections.

Anna showed up as a deformed WSB agent who wore her hair hiding half her face due to the terrible scarring on half her face (as you can guess, it was BS to make her man feel bad).

She wore the scar as some sort of penance for having been a double agent and getting a friend killed. She hid it from Robert, though once it was revealed, she did take advantage of it to guilt Robert once or twice. He very quickly called her on it, though, and it wasn't it's purpose in the first place.

What was super secret agent Anna to do, but fuck Casey's earth twin (wish I was joking).

Anna never had sex with either Casey or Shep Casey, who was the other character played by Bradley Lockerman.

Edited by Stinger97
Let's cool it with the sassy responses.
  • Love 1

Anna never had sex with either Casey or Shep Casey, who was the other character played by Bradley Lockerman.

Thank you. I watched that storyline in real time and was like, "Uhhh, I don't think she did unless I missed a very special episode." 

Well who the heck is Reece?

Reese was Carly's best friend from high school who Carly thought died in a car accident (I think that's why Carly didn't drive for a long time, or only drove under duress).  She came to town as an FBI agent trying to get Michael, Morgan, & Kristina back after they were kidnapped.  She had a relationship with Sonny (of course), as per the town charter.  She died alone during the train crash, & I think Ric & John Durant (Carly's bio father) were the only ones to attend the funeral.

(edited)

Was she played by a former Carly?

No.  She was played by some other actress, who I only know from MTV's Remote Control.  Her real name was Carly, I think. Nope, Kari Wuhrer.

Thanks dubbel zout!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

It should be pointed out here that after she died as a teenager, Carly (whose birth name is Caroline Leigh Benson) took her name (Charlotte "Carly" Roberts) for herself when she first moved to PC, so no one would know who she really was. I got the impression that she was never called Carly by anyone until she moved there (and Carly actually does sound like it could be a nickname for Caroline). 

(edited)

Thanks. Not sure who Kristina is. Has she been on the last 2 months?

She's just the girl child of Sonny. No, she hasn't been on in the past 2 months. She's off screen going to Yale. Her age falls in between Micheal & Morgan. And of course, sister to Sam & Molly.

ETA: Not to be confused with Christina, Scotty & Lucy's daughter.

Edited by BestestAuntEver
(edited)

Thanks.  Not sure who Kristina is.  Has she been on the last 2 months?

No, the latest actress to play the role was Lindsay Morgan.  I wasn't watching when she left, I assume she is back at college.

Here is a clip of Lindsay's Kristina:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42ETJBRjSr0

But most people prefer Lexie Ainsworth, who was the Kristina before Lindsay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD_yvf39f-4

ETA: Or what BestestAuntEver said :)

Edited by mybabyaidan
  • Love 1

Lola - No, Kristina got back into college last fall when the (second) actress got fired. Molly or Alexis really should have a line about Kristina's fun/exciting internship in ___ because it's now summer and she's still not in PC. *Sigh*. I thought Lexi A. (first actress) was great in the role.

Yes, the blonde is the re-cast Kate/Connie. That beefy guy is Johnny Zacchara, played by Brandon Barash. He's now married to KSt (the character "Maxie") and they have a baby girl. It's ironic that KSt got pregnant while Maxie was in the middle of her pregnancy w/baby Georgie. Johnny was blackmailed into marriage by Kate/Connie, and he went off to jail.

Lexi, Haley and Kelly had great Davis sisters chemistry and yes, they all looked like they could be sisters and daughters of Alexis.

Found this  clip of Kristina going off to college.  Guessing the blonde with Dante is a previous Lulu?  Gawd Dante looks creepy with the long hair.

Who is the girl with Michael?

That Ethan dude looks like he could be Rick Springfield's child.

(edited)

Abby, his girlfriend at the time.  She was sent to Chicago on business but was hit by a crane while on the phone with Michael, I think.

Yes the blonde with Dante was the first grown up Lulu.

Edited by jennifer6973

Abby, his girlfriend at the time.  She was sent to Chicago on business but was hit by a crane while on the phone with Michael, I think.

I just literally laughed out loud.  Sorry Abby but that was funny.

Ya'll have been so nice helping me with history and what not. I really thought I could wing it a little, but no. Someone is going to have to explain this Alice character to me. She is very odd, but seems to be endearing to many here.

Ya'll have been so nice helping me with history and what not. I really thought I could wing it a little, but no. Someone is going to have to explain this Alice character to me. She is very odd, but seems to be endearing to many here.

I think Alice is or was the maid at the Quartermaine mansion.  Back when Luke was married to Tracy and living in the Q mansion in the mid-2000s, Alice had a crush on Luke, I think.  She was used mostly for comic relief - I think, if I'm thinking of the right person.

I have absolutely no use for her. She should stay in the background instead of being made a part of the story. Characters like her and Milo were not meant to be anything but wallpaper.

• Love 5

Sonny was married to Lily, Carly 3x, Brenda and got ghost married to Kannie, is there anyone I missed.

Claudia was in between Carly and Brenda. Sonny was married to Carly 4 times. 

One thing I will say about Sarah Brown's early Carly in regards to at least AJ, early on she showed an ounce of remorse for dicking over someone that was more or less an innocent in her revenge plan, and that was equally Sarah Brown as it was the writing.

And see here is something I miss about Carly.  Yeah, she does horrible things, but there was a time that she felt bad for them.  She did, finally, feel terrible for what she did to Bobbie and Tony.  Okay, it was years later, but I have always thought one of LW's finest moments as Carly was when she went to Bobbie the day of Tony's funeral and apologized to her, even offering to stay away from the chapel.

And, in the context my my late, never-realized CarnAJ love, something I would have loved to have been explored between them now, especially when SK came back and had tons of chem with LW.  If they had, years ago, given Carly the self awareness to understand she done AJ wrong and tried to make it up...but of course, Sonny is always right and all of Port Charles must bow before the greatness of Sonny.  

I've been on the barge (I think I'm using that expression right) since early 80s. Who is Nik and why does every woman want him?

Nik Cassidine is the son of Laura Spencer & Starvos Cassidine. He was raised by Stephan & it the current Cassidine prince.

Every woman wants him because Ron can only write relationships, if they are triangles or quads.

(edited)

And see here is something I miss about Carly.  Yeah, she does horrible things, but there was a time that she felt bad for them.  She did, finally, feel terrible for what she did to Bobbie and Tony.  Okay, it was years later, but I have always thought one of LW's finest moments as Carly was when she went to Bobbie the day of Tony's funeral and apologized to her, even offering to stay away from the chapel.

I remember her apologizing to Bobbie, which was nice. I rewatched that scene again recently. But I cannot, for the life of me, remember her apologizing to or about Tony. I hope she did.

I think LW has done well in the role and can do more when given more. But Guza both did and didn't care for her in different ways, I think - he relegated her to a story sector and a role he could sort of take for granted, IMO, while still giving her meaty material - and Ron has just wrecked her in a lot of new ways. Still, I'd take Sarah or Tamara back.

Edited by jsbt

Nik Cassidine is the son of Laura Spencer & Starvos Cassidine. He was raised by Stephan & it the current Cassidine prince.

Every woman wants him because Ron can only write relationships, if they are triangles or quads.

Thanks.  I know who Laura is.  Don't know the Cassidines.  I missed all the freezing stuff.  I left as soon as things started venturing into SciFi.

Thanks.  I know who Laura is.  Don't know the Cassidines.  I missed all the freezing stuff.  I left as soon as things started venturing into SciFi.

Nikolas came on in 1996 and he and his Stefan uncle (and Alexis, who is his aunt) were very very different from the 80s Cassadine. They weren't hokey at all. In fact Stefan was pretty much the strictest most buttoned down character ever. Nikolas' father Stavros kidnapped Laura for two years. He told Laura Luke had died and he forced Laura into marrying him. When she escaped he followed (Stavros), and was about to rape Laura in front of Luke when Luke hit him on the head or something and he fell down a flight of steps and died breaking his neck. Luke and Laura left the show not long after that and returned in 1993, with a son, Lucky. Laura gave birth to Lulu in 1994. In 1996 Lulu developed a condition called aplastic anemia and needed a bone marrow transplant. So this is where the re-write comes in: the re-wrote it so that Laura had given birth to a son when she was kidnapped, but she never told Luke because Stavros' mother Helena hated Laura and told her that if she ever tried to see Nikolas or tell anyone about him, she would take revenge. So when she tried to see Nikolas, Helena had her mother killed in a car crash. Everyone thought it was an accident but Laura knew the truth. ANYWAY. So Lulu is sick, Laura tried to contact Stefan (Nikolas' uncle) but Stefan was one step ahead of her and arranged for Nikolas to be tested. He was a match and anonymously donated Nikolas' marrow to the hospital. Laura confessed to Luke about the existence of Nikolas. The rest of the family discovered the truth when Nikolas showed up by himself in town.

Here's a clip of his first scene with Lucky. Lucky went to visit Lulu and finds Nikolas sitting with her, and Nikolas basically taunts him and reveals the that he's Lucky's brother in a vague, confusing fashion, but Lucky pretty much understand the implications. 

• Love 1

Nikolas came on in 1996 and he and his Stefan uncle (and Alexis, who is his aunt) were very very different from the 80s Cassadine. They weren't hokey at all. In fact Stefan was pretty much the strictest most buttoned down character ever. Nikolas' father Stavros kidnapped Laura for two years. He told Laura Luke had died and he forced Laura into marrying him. When she escaped he followed (Stavros), and was about to rape Laura in front of Luke when Luke hit him on the head or something and he fell down a flight of steps and died breaking his neck. Luke and Laura left the show not long after that and returned in 1993, with a son, Lucky. Laura gave birth to Lulu in 1994. In 1996 Lulu developed a condition called aplastic anemia and needed a bone marrow transplant. So this is where the re-write comes in: the re-wrote it so that Laura had given birth to a son when she was kidnapped, but she never told Luke because Stavros' mother Helena hated Laura and told her that if she ever tried to see Nikolas or tell anyone about him, she would take revenge. So when she tried to see Nikolas, Helena had her mother killed in a car crash. Everyone thought it was an accident but Laura knew the truth. ANYWAY. So Lulu is sick, Laura tried to contact Stefan (Nikolas' uncle) but Stefan was one step ahead of her and arranged for Nikolas to be tested. He was a match and anonymously donated Nikolas' marrow to the hospital. Laura confessed to Luke about the existence of Nikolas. The rest of the family discovered the truth when Nikolas showed up by himself in town.

Here's a clip of his first scene with Lucky. Lucky went to visit Lulu and finds Nikolas sitting with her, and Nikolas basically taunts him and reveals the that he's Lucky's brother in a vague, confusing fashion, but Lucky pretty much understand the implications. 

Fascinating!  Thanks!  I never liked the Luke and Laura storyline. 

Is the actor playing Nik here the same one as today?

(edited)

No problem. It's my favorite storyline ever on the show, so I like babbling about it.

Yup, same Nik. (although there was a recast for 4 years from 1999-2003).

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1
I think any claim of Nik being a "good big brother" went out the window when he started sleeping with Liz behind Lucky's back.  Also, didn't Nik take in Brook Lynn after what she did to Lulu and Dante?

Aw, but he used to be. I think the only time GH utilized Nik/Lucky/Lulu into the siblings I wanted them to be was in 2008 when they went searching for Laura together, and Christmas 2008 or 2007, I forget which, where they were like, "okay, guess let's spend Christmas together" since their significant others were all doing something, and then there was a moment of silence and then they all got out their phones and started messing around on them.

JD needs to watch JJ's work from that time and learn.

That would be as useful as having RC/FV watch a month of  1976-1981s General Hospital to learn how to put on a proper soap, which would be not really. 

• Love 1

So this isn't history that is that old, but it goes back to last year and was referenced on today's show. Sonny and Olivia kissed on July 4th? Yet Connie was still alive, correct? So who was he with? It just irks the hell out of me that he keeps going on and on about how Connie was this great love of all time, and how Ava is the evilest evil to ever evil when he was pretty much swapping spit and bouncing in and out of both their beds. Scum.

He wasn't with Connie. He and Olivia kissed, and they were showing it as Sonny being more into Olivia at the time, but then Connie realized that Olivia and Sonny were getting closer and got territorial and told him she wanted to get back together. He said agreed, mostly because he felt guilty imo, and then she got murdered and Sonny ran around pretending he hadn't just hooked up with Olivia a month beforehand. 

(edited)

Luke saying "don't make me hit you again" is somehow even more annoying than the actually slap, and are Luke and Laura trying to look LESS conspicuous with those outfits on? Are they at a German beer festival or something?

I just really want Luke killed off.

Edited by ulkis
(edited)

Holy shitsnacks, that's offensive!   Ugh, I thought Luke couldn't drop any lower in my estimation - but, wow ...

Yeah, I have no idea what those outfits are supposed to be, although it appears they're working at some cheesy theme restaurant.  Her wig is hilarious, though!

Edited by SlovakPrincess
(edited)

Holy shitsnacks, that's offensive!   Ugh, I thought Luke couldn't drop any lower in my estimation - but, wow ...

Yeah, I have no idea what those outfits are supposed to be.  Her wig is hilarious, though!

Yeah. You know, I was willing to disregard the rape, because I could see how they thought Luke would be short term but just couldn't ignore the chemistry/reception, so they tried to rewrite it. But then it just seems like a lot of the rest of it was Luke screaming at her a good deal of the time. And the way she sobs here pathetically saying "yes I know you were just trying to calm me down . . . " is so off-putting. I think I like 90s Luke and Laura better. 80s Luke just seems like a giant creep, and if Geary didn't keep begging to return to that I wouldn't be calling for his retirement right now, because I really have loved the actor and the character in the past.

(the slap comes in around 2:00, for anyone who wants to fast forward)

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1