Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

And Lorenzo hated Luis as much as anyone, if I recall correctly.

Okay, the discussion about All Sonny's Children made me want to tally up his spawn and their mothers. You guys tell me if I've gotten it right.

Live Children:

• Dante (Olivia)
  • Michael (Carly, stolen, er, "adopted" from AJ)
  • Kristina (Alexis)
  • Morgan (Carly)

Unborn Children:

• Baby Corinthos (Lily, blown up with her)
  • Baby Corinthos (Carly, miscarried when she fell down the Quartermaine stairs)
  • Baby Girl McCall (Sam, stillborn)
  • Baby Corinthos (Claudia, miscarried when Kristina drove her off the road)
  • Love 1

I hated the DID story, but the best part of it was, Alexis using her legal brain to remember a case in Llanview PA as her precedent:  Commonwealth V. Lord (or was it Carpenter by then?)  

The little tip of the hat and something else FrankenRon also ignored when they brought the OL3 over.  And two DID fakers shared at least ONE scene together (Todd and Alexis, after the "death" of Sam'd baby.)

Did they, though? I clearly remember Todd having a discussion with Kate/Connie and maybe a few others about her DID - he said that unlike his sister Viki, Kate had nothing about her illness under control. There was even that lame fake book that someone ended up reading which had Viki on the cover and was an exposé about her and Jessica.

I don't blame them for not bringing up Alexis's fake DID. That was truly awful.

Did they, though? I clearly remember Todd having a discussion with Kate/Connie and maybe a few others about her DID - he said that unlike his sister Viki, Kate had nothing about her illness under control. There was even that lame fake book that someone ended up reading which had Viki on the cover and was an exposé about her and Jessica.

I don't blame them for not bringing up Alexis's fake DID. That was truly awful.

With Kate, yes, they did bring it up.  (And it was well done.  One of the very well written and well acted scenes from the whole OL to GH debacle).  I think Todd may have referenced it to Carly as well.  But I do specifically remember Viki's case being referred to in the middle of Alexis' mess.  And  it was one of those tips of the hat that would have been interesting top drop in, especially as Todd had stolen Alexis' grandson.  I'm by no means saying it was a good story for Alexis, but if you have the chance to tie in the two shows, do your research and do them.

Another tie that was never explored:  Robin and Jason met Todd once before.  It was brief but they mentioned being picked up in PA by a man in a limo with a scar.  It was when they were trying to get back to PC for Brenda and Jax's wedding.  Thought Robin wasn't around, it would have been good to have Jason, the brain damaged, but with an excellent memory borg to make that connection.

• Love 1

Ted King also played Tomas Delgado on OLTL.  And when when they brought the OLTL characters onto GH, a number of them got together and compared notes, they realized that Lorenzo Alcazar and Tomas Delgado were the same person, and ran off to go look for him.  Since GH has pretended that the OLTL storylines never happened, they'll probably never resolve that.

Yes, Lila was the name for baby girl McCall.  Sam was pregnant with her when Lila Q died.

Liz and Jason...okay, they had been friends since Lucky died and had tried to be together, but something always got in the way.  Then, after Sam found out that she was Alexis' daughter and had been seriously injured, Alexis tried to break up Sam and Jason.  It worked but Jason decided to try to get back with Sam, only to find her rolling around with her stepfather, Ric.  That same night, Liz found Lucky and Maxie the same way.  Jason went to his penthouse and Liz ended up there, sharing their sorrows (and a few drinks) and, bang, Jake.

As for the Wards, after the death of Mary Mae, there was still Justus and Keesha.  After Jason's accident, Keesha and AJ were together but I think she left in the mess with AJ finding out Michael was his and then Carly scheming to totally screw over AJ.  Justus stuck around the longest, only to be gunned down in the middle of the neverending mob war. (He was Jason's lawyer.)

• Love 1

That same night, Liz found Lucky and Maxie the same way.  Jason went to his penthouse and Liz ended up there, sharing their sorrows (and a few drinks) and, bang, Jake.

Don't forget the part where Liz walked up 15 flights of stairs during a blackout to see Jason.

I was on the barge at the time, but didn't Sonny, the man who loves his children,pass a pregnant Sam off to Jason early in her pregnancy  because he wanted to get back with Snarly.

• Love 1

I was on the barge at the time, but didn't Sonny, the man who loves his children,pass a pregnant Sam off to Jason early in her pregnancy  because he wanted to get back with Snarly.

Yes he did.  And he didn't seem to care until Lila died, because it led him to girlchild.

(edited)

Lila! Yes, that was it. I thought as I was typing "Baby Girl McCall" that surely Sam must have named her, but I couldn't recall what. All I could think of was "Adella" and I didn't think that was it. I also thought later on that I should've given the various Baby Corinthii different monikers that would better describe the storylines - Clink-Boom Baby, HateSex Baby, whatever Claudia's kid would be called, maybe Life Insurance Baby - but it was too late.

Justus was my fav. Who's kid was Maya? I know she was somehow related to the Q's.

I forget (or maybe they never said) the names of Maya' parents, but her mother was a sister of Justus', so Maya was the great-grandchild of Edward Quartermaine and Mary Mae Ward (whose long-ago affair produced Bradley Ward, father of Justus and his sister(s?), who ended up murdered and buried in the Spencer's back yard)

Edited by Melgaypet

Apparently Maya was the daughter of Faith Ward, who I actually don't recall. According to that site, I don't believe we know who her father is. 

Though I was residing on the barge at the time, I do believe that Faith was Justus' sister and therefore a granddaughter of Edward.  But she never appeared on GH, as far as I know.

Can someone please explain to me how Maxie managed to actually fool a licensed OB/GYN that she was pregnant with a pillow? I think that out of all the things we've been asked to swallow over the years, this had to be up at the very top. I wasn't watching yet at the time, so I just am incredulous and simply must know how it happened.

• Love 2
(edited)

I haven't watched in years, but I happened to see GH today and was totally confused by all this talk of Lucas being in the hospital but being some other mobster guy (Jerome?)'s son. Wasn't Tony Lucas' dad? Is this retcon or was Tony never Lucas' biological father to begin with? And how is Sam his sister?

Edited to ask: what they hell is going on with Luke? I know he's always been kind of crazy, but almost killing Ned!? wtf

Edited by Meems

It's a pretty complicated situation, but the short story is that Cheryl Stansbury and Julian Jerome were Lucas' biological parents. When Cheryl died in a car accident, she left Lucas to Bobbie and Tony, who then legally adopted him. By that point, Julian was also believed to be dead. Just this year Julian was revealed to be Sam's father, making Lucas her half brother. 

As for Luke, it's not really him but some impostor. Real!Luke was locked up in a mental hospital as a result of Heather's antics and, I believe, is still there. What we're seeing on screen now is who we're referring to as "FauxLuke" or "Fluke" (although, wasn't that the nickname for the Felicia/Luke pairing from years back?). There's been a lot of spec as to who FauxLuke actually is, with some guessing it's Anthony Zacchara or Damien Smith. 

(edited)
Lila! Yes, that was it. I thought as I was typing "Baby Girl McCall" that surely Sam must have named her, but I couldn't recall what. All I could think of was "Adella" and I didn't think that was it.

But didn't Sam plan to call the child Lila, but then she went all unconscious post-delivery, so Sonny as the father got to decide what to do about the stillborn child (in fact giving the stem cells to Kristina) and named her Adella after his mother? I remember being sort of annoyed about that. But then, I'm generally annoyed in all things by Sonny.

With Maxie, I only have vague recollections of her pregnancy with poor Pillowena Feather Jones, but I thought she managed to swipe a urine sample (she was candy striping at the hospital at the time) to pass off as her own and also just in general kept avoiding her appointments with Kelly Lee, world's worst OB/GYN. She also only kept the ruse up for a couple of months, if I recall correctly, because she could see the jig was up. Threw herself down the stairs (at Kelly's?) to fake a miscarriage but was found out almost immediately at that point?

Edited by MichaelaRae

Can someone enlighten me about the Eckhert family? It was before my time on the show, but I'm seeing them suggested as being behind the Fluke storyline. 

Also, can someone give me an overview of Ric, especially as relates to Liz? I was on the barge during his time on the show. All I really know is that he was a villain, is Sonny's brother somehow, is Molly's father, and was married to Liz. Is that all I really need to know?

Ric is Sonny's half-brother through their mother Adela (she got pregnant by his father, the late Trevor Lansing).  The Liz thing I'm a little fuzzy on; as I understand it he and Liz actually had a normal relationship and marriage way back, but then she got pregnant and somehow lost their baby.  Ric flipped out, blamed Sonny for it, and ended up kidnapping Carly over it; he's been a gray hat ever since.

• Love 1
(edited)

If you think about that, if Ric's plan actually worked, Ric and Liz would be raising Morgan now and Carly would probably six feet under somewhere.

Damn it, Ric! Why couldn't you make that happen?

Edited by Stinger97
Double post.
  • Love 3

Ric is Sonny's half-brother through their mother Adela (she got pregnant by his father, the late Trevor Lansing).  The Liz thing I'm a little fuzzy on; as I understand it he and Liz actually had a normal relationship and marriage way back, but then she got pregnant and somehow lost their baby.  Ric flipped out, blamed Sonny for it, and ended up kidnapping Carly over it; he's been a gray hat ever since.

And Liz lost that baby as a result of Faith Rosco (who, now that I think about it, was basically the Ava Jerome of her time) intentionally pushing her down the stairs. Faith had a one-night stand with Ric and she was all butthurt that he was in love and eloped with Liz. And then somehow Ric blamed Sonny for Liz losing the baby. 

That's what started the whole Panic Room storyline (Ric kidnaps a pregnant Carly and locks her up in a hidden room in his house), which I'm ashamed to say is one of my favorites. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Ric is Sonny's half-brother. He was obsessed with getting revenge on Sonny for what he perceived as taking their mother Adella away from him when a young Sonny lashed out against Adella's relationship with Ric's father Trevor, and, while working for Sonny as an adult (under an assumed identity) he befriended Carly. He then ended up naked in bed with her - I think he may have drugged her - and made her think they'd slept together after a night at Jake's.

After the truth came out and he and Sonny became sworn enemies Ric tried to move on to a rather rushed marriage to Liz, but when she lost her baby (due to mob queen Faith Rosco's romantic obsession with Ric) Ric again blamed Sonny. He hid a pregnant Carly in a soundproof panic room set into the living room of his and Liz's new home, intending to keep her there until she delivered - and raise her and Sonny's son (Morgan) as his and Liz's own child. He even gave an unwitting Liz birth control pills or something to ensure she didn't actually get pregnant on her own again before he could take Carly's son.

One day when Ric was out, Carly escaped from the panic room before Liz's stunned eyes. Before Liz could call the police she passed out due to some sort of bad reaction to Ric's pills. While sleeping in the hospital, she was visited by Ric, who briefly pondered killing her to escape his fate, but he couldn't do it. After Ric's relationship with Liz crumbled Liz had a one-night stand with Zander Smith, who fathered Cameron. Ric hoped to raise Cameron with Liz, but their marriage was over.

Ric was truly demented and obsessed with Sonny in this twisted love/hate schizophrenia for years - first he hated him and wanted to destroy his family, then he loved him and wanted to be his right hand in his organization and would play a scheming Iago, trying to steer Jason and others out of Sonny's orbit so he could be closer to his brother, then he hated him again and was working in the DA's office to try and take him down - it went on and on like this for years, with Ric getting Sonny's cast-offs (Claudia, Reese), marrying Sonny's ex (Alexis) and having a child with her, and then ruining it all again (sleeping with Sam, Alexis's daughter). He was a very suave, articulate three-piece suit kind of guy who was crawling with serpentine neuroses and twisted needs beneath the surface of his calm veneer. He seems much more stable now and eager to put that obsession behind him, but I think that's just a function of RC having no real interest in the Ric character beyond playing a stock romantic spoiler for Liz and Nikolas.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

I'm also needing some help on the Eckert speculation. I was watching but, apparently, not paying attention when they were on the canvas. Why would Bill Eckert (a) be so set on bringing the mobster scum down and (b) be in a position to do so (e.g., running a rival crime family)? Scratching my head on why that one is even a possibility.

I've been wondering about that, too. My very, very vague memories of Bill Eckert are that he was kinda shady, but not evil or a career criminal; and not rich or powerful, either. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

(edited)

If you want to see Bill Eckert in action, you can look up GH The Cartel on YouTube. There's a lot of stuff in there. 

Jenny Eckert becomes involved with the Q's when she's with Ned. Paul Hornsby is basically forced into marrying Tracy. Of course, Paul and Jenny boringly pine for each other from afar but ultimately end up together. I think the funniest thing about Jenny and Paul was that their wedding only happened because Ryan Chamberlain interrupted Mac and Felicia's first wedding attempt in early 1994, Mac got hurt and after F/M's wedding is called off, Jenny and Paul decide to get married at that second, Jenny puts on Felicia's wedding get up and voila! a wedding for Jenny and Paul! I believe their boring asses left the show soon after that.  

I always disliked Jenny. When she came onto the show in 1990 she was an environmental activist and a loudmouth. So annoying. Bill appeared after that in 1991 and when he first came on, he had red hair like his sister and then as time went on, they both became blondes. I remember thinking at the time just how ridiculous it was to have Tony Geary back on as anyone but Luke and I automatically disliked the character of Bill Eckert because of it."Oh wow you look just like Luke!" "I'm his look alike cousin!" Truthfully, I didn't care for that time period of GH that much at all (late 1991 - early 1993). While there was some good about it, it wasn't as strong as previous years or later years IMHO. 

I almost forgot that Holly was also involved with Bill. She came back to the fold at the time Anna disappeared in early 1992 and remained on the show after Robert and Anna died offscreen. 

Edited by Box305
  • Love 1
(edited)

Thanks , box305. I'll check out that YouTube feed. Funny. I have only vague - and boring - recollections of Paul and Jenny and am still drawing a blank on Bill except that he was there. Also funny that old villains morphing into Luke lookalikes seems more plausible to me than a character who actually *was* a lookalike.

At least on this mess of a show.

Edited by RealityCowgirl

But didn't Sam plan to call the child Lila, but then she went all unconscious post-delivery, so Sonny as the father got to decide what to do about the stillborn child (in fact giving the stem cells to Kristina) and named her Adella after his mother? I remember being sort of annoyed about that. But then, I'm generally annoyed in all things by Sonny.

Sonny may have planned to call the child Adella, but her headstone says "Baby Girl McCall".  Many here refer to the baby as "Lidella" (a combination of Lila & Adella).

Can someone refresh me on the Kevin evil twin story?

I remember a little. Kevin's brother Ryan Chamberlain was a pediatritian. I don't remember him being crazy initially but I could be wrong. They had Ryan to develop a creeped out fascination with Felicia. Ryan was on the show 2-3 years before we heard or saw his twin/dobbledanger Kevin. Kevin came to help Ryan psychologically. I can't remember how Ryan died thou.

• Love 1

I remember a little. Kevin's brother Ryan Chamberlain was a pediatritian. I don't remember him being crazy initially but I could be wrong. They had Ryan to develop a creeped out fascination with Felicia. Ryan was on the show 2-3 years before we heard or saw his twin/dobbledanger Kevin. Kevin came to help Ryan psychologically. I can't remember how Ryan died thou.

IIRC, Ryan was molested by their mother (Kevin was taken away by their father, Victor and spared).  Ryan died in a fire at a fun house, I think.

• Love 1

Can you all help me out? I was on the barge at the time and missed the Sonny/Sam relationship. How did they hook up? How long were they together? Did he dump her? Did they have chemistry? Why did she end up with Jason? Inquiring minds want to know? Thanking you in advance.

Can you all help me out? I was on the barge at the time and missed the Sonny/Sam relationship. How did they hook up? How long were they together? Did he dump her? Did they have chemistry? Why did she end up with Jason? Inquiring minds want to know? Thanking you in advance.

I think they hooked up during the PC Hotel fire.  I do not believe that they were together for long, just long enough for her to get pregnant.  He handed her off to Jason who claimed paternity.  As for chem, I really don't remember.  She was at the center of a Sonny vs. Jax triangle, part 44.

IIRC, she came on the show & was paired with Jax. I think they were looking for some treasure. As usual, IR/Jax can't have a female that doesn't have the hots for Sonny. As stated above, we were treated to another Jax/Sonny triangle. I'm not sure how long they actually stayed together or sexed each other up before Sonny & Carly decided to give it a go again. Sam ended up pregnant & Guza et all decided Jasam was the way to go.

Was there a night she slept with both Jax & Sonny? Or was that another show?

I thought Sonny & Sam had chemistry, but I know some people felt it looked like a chick hooking up with her dad.   & some say Sam should have been Sonny's sister instead of SWMNBN.

Sonny & Sam first hooked up around the end of January, after Sonny saw Carly kiss Lorenzo (it was a goodbye kiss).  But they first interacted when he carjacked her but she ended up not pressing charges.  This is also how Jason & Sam first met--they were both arrested for aiding & abetting Sonny.  Anyway, they had a brief affair (I think about two months), then Sonny decided to get back with Carly.  Sam was pregnant & Jason knew Carly would reject Sonny if she knew.  So he changed the paternity test & claimed he was the father.  Sam moved in with Jason & they became friends after awhile.  & JaSam was born (though they didn't truly go romantic until after the baby died.

(edited)
Does anyone have a recollection of Sonny getting physical with any of his exes?

Does shooting Carly in the head while she was giving birth to Morgan count? Sonny was aiming for Lorenzo, but we all know how terrible a shot Sonny is.

That's also the origin of Bullet O' Love, btw.

Sonny grabs women, pushes them around a bit, and physically intimidates them. He made Courtney's mother crawl on the floor while he threw money at her. Any time he says he'd never hurt a woman I just roll my eyes.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1
(edited)
Sonny grabs women, pushes them around a bit, and physically intimidates them. He made Courtney's mother crawl on the floor while he threw money at her. Any time he says he'd never hurt a woman I just roll my eyes.

Dante once had a good line about there being other kinds of abuse and that Sonny yelled at women, intimidated them, and humiliated them in public. At this point it really doesn't matter at all that he hasn't hit them (although like dubbel zout says, he's pushed them around and shaken them), he's mentally abusive. I was reading a book about two months or so ago and there's a woman in an unhappy marriage whose husband just died, and when she states that at least the husband never hit her, the protagonist thinks, "God help me if when I die the best thing my wife can say about me is at least I didn't hit her." I thought immediately of Sonny. It's depressing GH never understood that; don't know if they do now with Ron.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5
(edited)

Yep Samantha Wells. She was on for a while but disappeared with Walt (a doctor) in late 1989. They cast another blonde female cop in 1990 named Remy and she also stuck around for a while. As late as early 1992ish, I believe?

Edited by Box305
  • Love 1
(edited)

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of the original Aztec treasure storyline? 

Id like to know what actually happened before Ron retcons and butchers it.

Edited by Tiger
(edited)

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of the original Aztec treasure storyline? 

Id like to know what actually happened before Ron retcons and butchers it.

Felicia first appeared on the show because of her "Aztec heritage." There was a charity ball and a silent auction. Frisco bought a ring at the auction not realizing it was a ring that belonged to Felicia and her family that was stolen by a cousin. Felicia was posing as a valet to try and get the ring but Frisco bought it before she could get her hands on it. So she broke into Frisco's apartment hoping to get it while he was sleeping but he woke up, discovered her and the adventure began. 

This was in September 1984 and the treasure storyline didn't wrap up until September 1985. There were a lot of people involved: Robert, Luke, Sean (he was introduced during this storyline), Holly, Frisco, and Felicia were involved in the late 1984 portion of it. Then Anna came aboard during the Spring 1985 portion of the storyline, Grant Andrews was involved, some old WSB guys were involved by that point. 

Basically Felicia was all about her heritage and finding the treasure to help her grandmother restore their family's hacienda in Texas. It would make them rich. 

Also, while Felicia was in Port Charles with Frisco, guys were after her and the ring. Before she arrived in PC, those same people, who were after the ring and the treasure showed up at the hacienda to try and rob them. (It's so convoluted) 

In late 1984, there was no treasure when they all went down to Mexico and looked in the ancient crypt. (Luke, Robert, Holly, Sean, Frisco, Felicia) A crypt that could be opened by using Felicia's ring. Then it was discovered that there was a second crypt but before Frisco and Felicia could get to it, Sean stole the treasure out from under them. This in early 1985. They assumed the treasure didn't actually exist but then after returning to Port Charles, Felicia's ex-fiance, who everyone thought fell to his death over a waterfall during the late 1984 caper, showed up alive in Port Charles. He called Felicia, told her the treasure was still in play and was about to tell her all about it but guess what he was still really injured! So Felicia calls up Tony Jones (Frisco's brother, the doctor) to help Peter. While helping Peter, a guy name Slater shoots Tony before Peter can tell him anything about the treasure and Tony nearly dies. (Brad Maule was actually going to be written off and Tony killed, but the fans saved him) Frisco and Felicia broke up after Tony got shot because she inadvertently played a part in his getting shot. They slowly worked their way back together while trying to find the treasure and nail Sean.

Again, this was a year-long storyline, a lot of stuff happened but the main takeaway from it is that Felicia and her family do not have the treasure at their disposal (unless Ron is retconning that). It was handed over to the Mexican government in late August/early Sept 1985. Felicia only had the original ring that she was trying to get back and a scepter. She wouldn't not have any necklaces or bracelets, etc. 

So fuck Ron for even trying to revisit this storyline because he's going to fuck it up royally. 

(Sorry it wasn't a quick rundown. Haha) 

this clip tells some of the backstory: 

Edited by Box305
  • Love 1

This is probably more of a question for any OLTL viewers: do people actually like Kristen Alderson? Like, do you feel that sense of loyalty/fondness that many GH viewers feel for Kimberly McCullough? Because otherwise, I can't understand why, of everyone in that cast, she was one of the people chosen to join GH. Like, I understand RoHo and ME, because they are popular actors and their original OLTL characters were popular too. But none of that applies to KA, in my opinion. I felt completely indifferent to Starr, and I actively hate Kiki, and Kristen Alderson is not a good actress or particularly stunning to behold, so I'm just a little baffled at why GH bothered to bring her over. Any insight?

• Love 1