Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Endora said:

Most annoying part of the recent episode, nosey, buttinsky  Mae West.  STFU Lisa, who are you to comment on what Matt should have done with the farm.  

She has to earn her pay by saying something.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, stoppro said:

Most annoying part of the recent episode, nosey, buttinsky  Mae West

People complain about Caryn, who will probably become a Roloff and part of the family, but I think she has more right to discuss family matters than 'Mae West' does.

• Like 3
  • Applause 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 11/23/2022 at 12:33 PM, Joan of Argh said:

It made me so angry and sad at the same time to watch Tori and Zach roll their eyes at each other and basically ignore Lilah as she struggled with her little scooter and when she fell off her camp chair and cried Zach dismissed her tears and basically told her to suck it up buttercup… I wanted to shove him off his chair!

When Lilah's chair tumped over and she fell Tori laughed at her. Zach told her she was OK and then almost pushed her away when he told her to "go." Basically  saying get away from me . Would it have killed one of them to pick her up give and give her a kiss?  I know that they love her but they have a strange way of showing it.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

When Lilah's chair tumped over and she fell Tori laughed at her. Zach told her she was OK and then almost pushed her away when he told her to "go." Basically  saying get away from me . Would it have killed one of them to pick her up give and give her a kiss?  I know that they love her but they have a strange way of showing it.

This broke my heart. These two are just awful. They put one child on a pedestal and another one they ignore, don't engage with and then shoo her away. The baby boy is of course "just like Jackson"....I find Zach and Tori to be obnoxious, lazy and terrible parents to their daughter. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

People complain about Caryn, who will probably become a Roloff and part of the family, but I think she has more right to discuss family matters than 'Mae West' does.

Mae West needs to take her ass to the beauty salon and whack off a foot of that platinum cotton candy hair, she looks so ridiculous.

At least Amy’s other friend Mr Bean (Deb) has a proper hair style, I don’t know what Mae West is thinking but she looks like an idiot.

She sure has a hard on for Matt, it’s none of her damn business what Matt wants to do with his property but Mae West won’t stop humping his leg!  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
55 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

I thought Zach’s and Tori’s response to Lilah falling over in the chair was so weird too. Zach seemed disgusted (well low-energy disgusted) with his “unbelievable” statement and Tori’s laughing was strange.  I get you don’t necessarily all upset because you don’t want to get the child more upset, but Zach acted put out because he had pick her chair back up.   Tori just seems immature all the way around. It always seems like they’re playing house instead of actual adults.

I do think they love all their kids, but they show an obvious preference with Jackson. Obviously, I just see parts of their life, but Lilah always seems ignored and off to the side.  If they insist on pumping up Jackson’s ego to counteract people picking on him in the future why don’t they do that for Lilah.  

• Like 1
  • Love 12
15 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

Other reality families shill children's clothes so Tori may as well join the game. 

Glad I don’t pay attention to them…happy to say I’ve never purchased anything that a celebrity or pseudo celebrity has been paid to endorse.

• Applause 5
  • Love 3

I know Jackson is only 5 and I am not trying to dis a child, but something seems off that he would remark “why am I playing with the babies” when those children were the same size as him and his equal in every way?  Does he not realize his size at this point?  I think that whole situation is just weird.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Mae West needs to take her ass to the beauty salon and whack off a foot of that platinum cotton candy hair, she looks so ridiculous.

At least Amy’s other friend Mr Bean (Deb) has a proper hair style, I don’t know what Mae West is thinking but she looks like an idiot.

She sure has a hard on for Matt, it’s none of her damn business what Matt wants to do with his property but Mae West won’t stop humping his leg!  

Lol. I LOVE your descriptions of their hair styles! The 'platinum cotton candy' is gold! Lol. And Deb's hair always reminds me of a helmet. Helmet head. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, Endora said:

I know Jackson is only 5 and I am not trying to dis a child, but something seems off that he would remark “why am I playing with the babies” when those children were the same size as him and his equal in every way?  Does he not realize his size at this point?  I think that whole situation is just weird.

I too find that weird. Jackson is old enough to realize that his dad, grandmother and grandfather are little and his mother and her parents and Caryn are average height. Why would he think that the other young people that he played soccer with at the DAA were babies?  

Edited by 65mickey
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, 65mickey said:

I too find that weird. Jackson is old enough to realize that his dad, grandmother and grandfather are little and his mother and her parents and Caryn are average height. Why would he think that the other young people that he played soccer with at the DAA were babies?  

I assume it’s because at his school he is surrounded by average-sized kids and doesn’t look in the mirror.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Endora said:

Yeah, I didn’t understand why Jackson thought the other kids were babies if they were the all the same size as him. I zone out on a lot of Z&T so I missed some of the stuff leading up to to Zach’s proclamation.  Does Jackson normally play soccer with tall kids and was confused why nobody there was tall?  I think he also thought Zach was playing with “kids”.  I’m surprised they haven’t explain being a dwarf to him before, I thought they would have sort of explained in some way when he got his surgery.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

I assume it’s because at his school he is surrounded by average-sized kids and doesn’t look in the mirror.

In a way that’s even more confusing if Jackson just assumes that he’s the same size as his taller average-sized classmates.

I think it’s time for ZiT to clue him in rather than leaving it and have him set straight by some kids who might not be nice about it.  😑

• Love 9
42 minutes ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

The more comments I read on here the more I get why Molly doesn't want to appear on this show.  Everyone would turn on her within a week.

I don’t remember her being criticized when she was on the show.  Some people are just private.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I screamed when I read this because every time I see Lisa I think of Rose in Golden Girls saying Rose’s hair is like cotton candy in humidity and Blanche telling her, “You gotta stop buying your hair colorin' out of the 99-cent-or-less bin at the Pic 'n Save”. I’m not sure what Lisa’s actual hair colour is but both the style and shade are AWFUL.

I feel like Lisa gets her digs in on Matt so Amy doesn’t look like the “bad guy” doing it and Chris is too busy bromancing Matt to convincingly add the “Matt is an evildoer” commentary.  

Did they ever say on the show if Zach was the only person Tori dated? The way she fawns over him seems so fake or overly exaggerated.  It’s like she’s in middle school. I mean when Audrey did/does it with Germball, it feels more like a shill for their gibberish journals, but when Tori does it, it sounds more like she trying to convince herself more than us.  I immediately fast forward scenes like her fawning over Zach at the gym or the LPA conference.  She just seems very phony.  It’s like when she goes on and on about Jackson doing AMAZING things like breathing, eating, existing, I’m like lady …CALM DOWN!

Amy and Matt for all their faults at least have some kind of a pizzazz or energy, to me Zach has the appeal of room-temperature plain oatmeal or a rumpled dollar-store dish towel. The mumbling, the blank stares, the dirty socks, I don’t get any of it, but I guess Tori gets to be in charge so maybe that’s the attraction.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

The more comments I read on here the more I get why Molly doesn't want to appear on this show.  Everyone would turn on her within a week.

I personally think Molly was just tired of doing the show and wanted a “real life” but I agree to a certain extent that the longer a show stays on the air the more opportunity for the audience to find the people on it annoying, either because they are annoying or because the show has been on for so long the show puts them in preposterous situations to liven things up.  

I saw most of Molly’s episodes as a child/teen, so my memory might be somewhat faulty, but Molly would probably always be favored by me because unlike the twins she didn’t seem like a dolt and was generally the most reliable narrator (i.e. would mention both Matt and Amy being in the wrong, but did so in a respectful way). If she were on the show now, at worst, I’d probably default her to someone like Chris.  By that I mean even if she did something off, comparatively speaking, she’s probably still the least annoying Roloff.

I’d probably even give some leeway to Jacob because to me he was the original Lilah in that he seemed an afterthought to both parents, who were busy promoting the original OWNERS Jackson, the twins.  

• Like 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

I don’t remember her being criticized when she was on the show.  Some people are just private.

All of the kids, with the exception of Zach (including Molly) refuse to appear on the show.

Jacob works with Matt on the farm (a paycheck) but refuses to appear on camera. 

Jeremy, we already know, has some online gig with Auj that apparently pays the bills on their large new farm.

Jacob and Jeremy are average sized and have average-sized children so their appearance on the show would be worthless in promoting the LPBW "brand."  Molly has no children but is average sized

It's only Zach and Tori with their 3 dwarf children that keep the show alive as I don't see enough dramatic content with Matt, Amy and their average-sized partner/spouse to capture an viewing audience.

My belief is that the show will eventually fade into oblivion although I admit that there are scenes with the 3 Z&T children that are interesting to watch and grab my attention.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

All of the kids, with the exception of Zach (including Molly) refuse to appear on the show.

Jacob works with Matt on the farm (a paycheck) but refuses to appear on camera. 

Jeremy, we already know, has some online gig with Auj that apparently pays the bills on their large new farm.

Jacob and Jeremy are average sized and have average-sized children so their appearance on the show would be worthless in promoting the LPBW "brand."  Molly has no children but is average sized

It's only Zach and Tori with their 3 dwarf children that keep the show alive as I don't see enough dramatic content with Matt, Amy and their average-sized partner/spouse to capture an viewing audience.

My belief is that the show will eventually fade into oblivion although I admit that there are scenes with the 3 Z&T children that are interesting to watch and grab my attention.

Someone said that airings earlier this year were drawing a million viewers so there must be a lot of longtime viewers who haven’t tuned out yet.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Endora said:

Probably because when he goes to school, everyone's average sized and he doesn't realize yet that he isn't, so when he's with the LP kids, they look like babies to him.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, readheaded said:

Probably because when he goes to school, everyone's average sized and he doesn't realize yet that he isn't, so when he's with the LP kids, they look like babies to him.

Yeah although you’d think when he stands next to the other kids he would notice that he is looking up.  But if intelligence is hereditary maybe not.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

Speaking of Molly she's been married several years now and no children.

It's strange that out of the three with children only Zack has dwarf children.

He explained he could or does carry a gene that he will never father an average size child.

I wonder if Molly has concerns about raising a dwarf child with all the medical conditions the child might have to face.

Molly always seemed quite mature in her thinking.  Maybe she doesn't want to put a child through that.

1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

Yeah although you’d think when he stands next to the other kids he would notice that he is looking up.  But if intelligence is hereditary maybe not.

I think that's Jackson's world right now.  They're big he's little.  The reality that this isn't normal hasn't hit him yet.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

It's strange that out of the three with children only Zack has dwarf children.

He explained he could or does carry a gene that he will never father an average size child.

They said with each child it’s a 50/50 chance.  So it’s just their luck that they have had three dwarves in a row.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/27/2022 at 9:46 AM, Irate Panda said:

The way she fawns over him seems so fake or overly exaggerated.

I have friends and have worked with women like this.  One told me, "Wait until you meet my husband; he's one of the handsomest men in the world."  I met him in his 50s.  He was average looking, but no personality.  Another told me, "You have to tell your man how great looking he is all the time.  If you don't, someone else will."  So...maybe Tori learned that at her mother's knee. 

My best friend said about my ex-husband (looking at an old photo of us: him in a tux and me in a pretty black gown), "He always was such a handsome guy."  I said, "No one ever thought he was a handsome guy.  He was had a good personality--was a charmer, smart, funny, and a great dancer."  (As he got older, he was even less than average looking.)   ETA:  He also wasn't a cute kid.  Not everyone can be good-looking.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 1
On 11/26/2022 at 8:48 AM, DonnaMae said:

How is that fair?  Lisa is Amy's best friend and has been through the family tribulations.  Caryn is nothing (yet) but Matt's best friend and __________.  Fill in the blank.  She's not even a Roloff Farms employee.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 4

Matt needs to tell ZiT that he and Caryn are a package deal and if they are going to have a relationship with him, Caryn is part of the deal. The fact that Matt doesn't do this shows (IMO) that he does not regard Caryn as a life partner. Not really sure what Caryn gets out of this relationship. Matt can be a mean-spirited and unreasonable man with likely future medical problems which will probably impact his life greatly. Like my mom would say, there's a lid for every pot.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, suev3333 said:

Lol   a lot of snarking comes off as rude.   And I disagree with you.   Caryn has been in Matt's family for yrs now.    Different opinions I guess.   

If my dad broke up our family by having an affair with another woman, I would never consider her family.  I don't care how many years they stayed together, she would not be my family.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bookworm 1979 said:
3 hours ago, suev3333 said:

Lol   a lot of snarking comes off as rude.   And I disagree with you.   Caryn has been in Matt's family for yrs now.    Different opinions I guess.   

If my dad broke up our family by having an affair with another woman, I would never consider her family.  I don't care how many years they stayed together, she would not be my family.

Nor would a court.  Arizona and Oregon don't acknowledge "Palimony," nor do they recognize common law "marriages."   Usually, "the other woman" is scorned MORE than the male relative who hurts the family.

• Like 2

As far as I’m concern there are no heroes on this show except Murphy, so they all kind of irritate me to a certain extent, but I will say that imo that they seemingly considered Caryn family when it was convenient for them.  

They let Caryn have a “grandma” name for the kids to call her, they dumped their kids off multiple times a week for her to babysit them.  Zach /Tori and to a lesser extent Jermball and the Marriage Whisperer entertained Caryn and Matt while giving Amy a hard time about dating.  Tori and Caryn bonding over how the public just couldn’t understand how they were both swept off their feet by Little George Clooney and Little Richard Gere respectively. 

We don’t actually know Matt and Caryn cheated (although I personally think something hinky was happening)  because all of the people that would know none of them actually would say they did, but even if they did, those twins didn’t give a damn when they thought they were getting the farm, so don’t care now. Hell, total strangers seem to care Matt probably cheated more than his family  did and that’s because TLC money trumped any “outrage”.   

As a far as Matt and Caryn themselves, we don’t know how their lives/finances are intertwined, so while they are not married that doesn’t mean they don’t have emotional, financial, and legal obligations to each other.  I get Z&T don’t consider Caryn family now but that doesn’t mean Matt doesn’t and his financial future does impact Caryn if they are a couple even if they’re not married albeit not in the same way as if they were. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, BAForever said:

Matt needs to tell ZiT that he and Caryn are a package deal and if they are going to have a relationship with him, Caryn is part of the deal. The fact that Matt doesn't do this shows (IMO) that he does not regard Caryn as a life partner.

I've watched the show more "regularly" this season than ever before.  Previously I'd stop watch part of an episode or two but was never interested.  In the small percentage of the entire series that I've seen, Matt has proven that he has no regard for anyone but Matt.  He doesn't seem grateful for all the help he receives on the farm--during Pumpkin Season--and the daily help a disabled person requires.

All his projects have been to entertain or aggrandize himself.  People here rag on Amy's personality and attitude (even the way she walks!), but she probably developed a coping mechanism (slowly) during years of unrecognized abuse from Matt while doing all the "mom things, coaching soccer, working on the farm's activities AND having a job: wasn't she a pre-school aide or teacher?  For him, it's Matt and only Matt.  Caryn is serving a purpose while she's being the adoring girlfriend...but she needs to always remember her place when dealing with King Matt.

Your last sentence says it all, BAForever.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

And another thing:  WHY can't Caryn, Matt, and Chris (especially Chris) realize that Matt  broke Amy's heart--changed/hurt her forever--and that Caryn was the snake that (probably) initiated the problem.  Amy doesn't want to SOCIALIZE with the two of you, nor does she need to.  Caryn, stop pretending that you're close couple-friends. Chris...snap out of it!

Caryn, did Jennifer Aniston hang out with Brangelina?  Maybe that's more clear for you.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

The hanging out together and tolerating each other is all for the love of the almighty dollar by all four.  It also keeps viewers interested.   If there were no show I am almost positive there would no interactions unless it involved a celebrations for one of the children or grandchildren.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
39 minutes ago, Endora said:

The hanging out together and tolerating each other is all for the love of the almighty dollar by all four.  It also keeps viewers interested.   If there were no show I am almost positive there would no interactions unless it involved a celebrations for one of the children or grandchildren.

Exactly Amy is more than happy to hang with Matt and Caryn as long as TLC is throwing cash at her, she could say “No!” or tell TLC to “Blow it out your ass!” If she’s so offended. 🙄

The money grubbing little weasel will do anything for a dollar, she’s laughing all the way to the bank.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Joan of Argh said:

Exactly Amy is more than happy to hang with Matt and Caryn as long as TLC is throwing cash at her, she could say “No!” or tell TLC to “Blow it out your ass!” If she’s so offended. 🙄

The money grubbing little weasel will do anything for a dollar, she’s laughing all the way to the bank.

And yet, she’s the one that says the show is most certainly not scripted, it’s real. Ok.

12 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Really the only reason any of them are on the show is the money.  Would any of them do it free?

Exactly they’re all adults and they all agree to film what they film.

If Matt doesn’t want to film with Amy then he needs to speak up and say “No!” … I don’t expect Caryn to protect poor baby Matt from scenes he doesn’t want to be in and same goes for Amy, it’s not Chris’s responsibility to protect her from filming scenes with Matt and Caryn…. Amy is an adult and as we’ve seen she’s more than capable of standing up for herself even if it includes cussing, swearing or chasing a full grown man off her property and then jumping on his lap so he can’t drive away.

They’re all there for the money no one is being forced or victimized. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

The affair didn't break up the marriage. That's not how that works.   It was a symptom of a marriage in trouble and bound to break up anyway .    I'm not saying she's immediate family,   but she is involved with decisions Matt makes.   They're engaged,  they just don't have that slip of paper one needs to be married.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Exactly they’re all adults and they all agree to film what they film.

If Matt doesn’t want to film with Amy then he needs to speak up and say “No!” … I don’t expect Caryn to protect poor baby Matt from scenes he doesn’t want to be in and same goes for Amy, it’s not Chris’s responsibility to protect her from filming scenes with Matt and Caryn…. Amy is an adult and as we’ve seen she’s more than capable of standing up for herself even if it includes cussing, swearing or chasing a full grown man off her property and then jumping on his lap so he can’t drive away.

They’re all there for the money no one is being forced or victimized. 

It all comes down to one thing

jerry-maguire-show-me-the-money.gif

LOL, does anybody know how many episodes they have this season?   I’m tired of looking at the Battleground weeds and broken down lawn mowers. I still don’t know why the didn’t show more of the motorcycle trip even if they had Chris and Amy shoot more themselves. Maybe TLC was afraid of Amy’s selfie angles. BTW going back to the hot dog episode are brown beans baked beans or something else?

21 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Exactly Amy is more than happy to hang with Matt and Caryn as long as TLC is throwing cash at her,

That's not what her body language or words show.  She always seems uncomforable before, during, and after a get-together.  She does thank and compliment Matt's and/or Caryn's hospitality when she feels it's appropriate.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

That's not what her body language or words show.  She always seems uncomforable before, during, and after a get-together.  She does thank and compliment Matt's and/or Caryn's hospitality when she feels its appropriate.

That must grind her gears.LOL

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1