Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

And where is Jacob? No mention of him. He's shown in the opening, but never mentioned. Or did I miss that?

Jacob lives in California. He hasn't been around for filming so far this year.

• Love 1

I admit, I, too got a sort of perverse pleasure watching Jeremy get the " jimmie leg" when Matt mentioned the possibility of selling the farm. Matt sure knows how to play that boy. I think that he will dangle the farm over Jer's head in order to make him become more involved and possibly moving closer to the farm so that Matt can have him do his bidding while Matt maintains control.

i do not have any knowledge of inheritance laws, but if the farm is left solely to Jer, can his siblings contest it? Couldn't they argue that the success of the farm was in part due to the show, and that because they were part of the show, the farm's success was also due to them? 

I agree, though that the farm is not going to be sold ( at least anytime soon) and that it is doubtful Amy would leave her half solely to Jer.

• Love 1

Those 2 are ridiculous.  They are special snowflakes who think they know everything about everything.  The name of their blog ("blurg") is stupid.

I get that they mean that half the marriages end in divorce  However relationship/marital advice is not what comes to mind when I hear "Beating 50%". If I had no knowledge of these 2 dolts, & a marketing person asked me what I thought this site was about, I'd guess it had something to do with surpassing a different kind of statistic: cancer survival rates or help to keep from relapsing into an addiction or how to get into a selective college.

And why do Jer(k) & Odd always have extra layers on indoors when others do not?  He wears the wool hat and she has scarves the size of horse blankets draped around her neck all the time. 

They would be insufferable as parents.  No baby product would be organic or locally sourced enough for them. No preschool would offer the right curriculum for them. I weep for their future children, as well as for the future teachers and parents of future friends who will be dealing with these two self-centered brats.

• Love 8

I'm not going back to read the comments but to my knowledge no one has made mention of Oddj's dress/blouse....scandalous I tell ya. Good grief, you couldn't have shown more skin if ya just left it off....and they are running a "christian type ministry" if I'm correct. I don't expect her to wear the god awful prairie type dresses and the two shirts for modesty but good gracious....please tell me I'm not the only one that thought that was a bit much.

• Love 4
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

I'm not going back to read the comments but to my knowledge no one has made mention of Oddj's dress/blouse....scandalous I tell ya. Good grief, you couldn't have shown more skin if ya just left it off....and they are running a "christian type ministry" if I'm correct. I don't expect her to wear the god awful prairie type dresses and the two shirts for modesty but good gracious....please tell me I'm not the only one that thought that was a bit much.

I only noticed how low-cut it was because she mentioned it and because the flat part of her chest that's above her breasts was very large. And then I realized.

I may be a cynic, but I don't think Auj's parents' marriage is as strong as she thinks it is. And, no, Auj's father, you do not take responsibility for someone else's feelings, happy or otherwise. You take responsibility for your own actions.

I resent recently married, only slightly removed from childhood, people giving marital advice. Like there aren't scads of sites, many produced by people who speak comprehensible English, doing the same thing. Plus, the 50% thing is a myth and divorce rates are declining. I'm delighted by the fact that Jer and Auj are going to be embarrassed as hell when their marriage fails.

Edited by Passing Strange
  • Love 7

I'm in the minority in that I'm not pro-Amy, all the time.  She spends a lot of time rolling her eyes and looking ready to argue with Matt.  Sure, he's aggravating. He seems to have classic ADD with all of his ideas and projects and plans- which he then has to orchestrate from his Mule or his crutches.  But geez, she is testy.  And her poor grammar ( thanks to everyone pointing out the "Matt and I" errors over and over, and the "daughter-in-laws") makes her seem like she's trying to be highly intellectual when, well- she just isn't.

As for the sloppiness- I cannot imagine being televised and letting the house be as slovenly as it's been in the past.  You'd think of the six of them, someone would have been embarrassed enough to hang up a coat or two or put the groceries in a cabinet.

This week one thing stuck out to me like a sore thumb:  The whole photo prints thing. Jeremy didn't have them express mailed; near-crisis occurred when their "event" was hours away and they had no pictures.  As they were driving to pick them up, Audrey was telling him how she didn't like the disorganization, that it could have been prevented, and that she wanted an apology.  After sitting slack-jawed for a few miles, Jeremy said, "I'm sorry the pictures were late."  Ummm... that's not an apology for YOUR behavior, dude!  And then in his TH he clapped himself on the back for being "responsive to Audrey's needs."  See what a great example he sets for a good marriage?

Oh I think Amy is a full participant in "why they got divorced". She let this go on for years, she's passive aggressive and she totally manipulates the kids against Matt. I think I tend to defend Amy more because Matt very much gets excused in these discussions because "He's a dreamer! She'd have NOTHING without him! Matt built the farm and made his kids live in a wonderland! HOW DARE SHE!" always seems to be the refrain, when Matt is also a very flawed person. These two are divorcing because they both have some serious issues but I dislike Matt being excused cause he's a widdle dickens, dreaming his dreams with no responsibility for his own often awful actions towards his family.

And yes, Jeremy's inability to concede he was wrong is probably going to be a problem in their marriage since Audrey is NOT Amy and the semi apology for nothing will be a problem for her.

• Love 4
(edited)

I actually felt a tad bit sorry for Audrey this episode. Jeremy must be hell to live with. He intentionally wont do anything she asks because of his need for control. You can see this evidenced not only with the pictures, but also in the dishwashing scene. He is one of those types who wont do anything unless its his idea, just like his father. But I agree that Audrey won't let it go like Amy has, at least not right now. I see a lot of friction between them. I know it's been said before but Zach and Tori really seem to have the better relationship, they are just so much  more laid back and easygoing.

Edited by PlygPigs
Left out a word
  • Love 7

Dammit I thought I had this episode taped on the DVR.  But when I went to watch it, there was nothing but this long boring infomercial for a stupid blog about marriage ran by two hipster assholes who wore winter hats and scarves and insulated vests inside their house all the time. I guess it must be really cold where they are or something.

Next week I will watch the show when it airs so I don't miss it again. 

• Love 12
11 hours ago, KateHearts said:

And her poor grammar ( thanks to everyone pointing out the "Matt and I" errors over and over, and the "daughter-in-laws") makes her seem like she's trying to be highly intellectual when, well- she just isn't.

Using "Matt and I" when it should be "Matt and me" drives me up the wall. C'mon people, can you sub it with "we" or "us"? In her defense, though, it's everywhere. It's as though it's become acceptable like "anyways". Another one that grates on me.

11 hours ago, KateHearts said:

This week one thing stuck out to me like a sore thumb:  The whole photo prints thing. Jeremy didn't have them express mailed; near-crisis occurred when their "event" was hours away and they had no pictures.  As they were driving to pick them up, Audrey was telling him how she didn't like the disorganization, that it could have been prevented, and that she wanted an apology.  After sitting slack-jawed for a few miles, Jeremy said, "I'm sorry the pictures were late."  Ummm... that's not an apology for YOUR behavior, dude!  And then in his TH he clapped himself on the back for being "responsive to Audrey's needs."  See what a great example he sets for a good marriage?

Yup. It was a non-apology. It's like saying, "I'm sorry you were offended" instead of "I'm sorry I said that". It was his fault they were stressed out over the pictures. An apology would have been, "I'm really sorry, Audrey, that my bad decision caused so much stress and almost ruined the event." Hey, and I don't even like Audge."

Also, J was really biting his tongue on that drive. IMO he was super angry.

• Love 4

I think one thing that makes me empathetic to Matt is that he's a guy who's been sickly all his life and desperately wanted to make this magical childhood for his kids (and himself, to some degree) and now is totally bereft that they are grown and leaving home.  Amy has that desperation too, as if there is nothing beyond child-rearing.  I think also that Matt is painfully aware that he likely won't live to a ripe old age and wants to pack life in as much as he can.  

As for him not working and Amy carrying the load- didn't he have some sort of outside job initially, the first year or so of the series?  For people who ask what these reality stars do to make a living- well, they exploit their lives on television, that's what!  I cannot imagine having a fight with my estranged husband or discussing sensitive topics the way they do;  I guess having the camera crew there becomes so commonplace for them that they just don't notice.

I actually thought Auj looked lovely in her dress. I think if she were any chest-ier it could be too risqué. However, there's a time and a place for everything, and I don't know if that event was the place for that dress. Well, my cleavage doesn't see the light of day, so someone could consider me prudish, but I just can't see me exposing that must breastage in front of my dad or father-in-law.  I'm sure all eyes were on her chesticular area while she was speaking to the group.

• Love 1

KateHearts,

Matt counts on sympathy for his health issues and difficult childhood to get his own way.

The first year  Matt had gone back to work as a commissioned salesman. Amy said because the income was uneven she felt a need to work to be sure the kids were fed.

I think Oddj's dress was chosen to keep all attention on her.

• Love 3

Agreed, Willowsmom. You know in any given moment, Matt throws down his terrible childhood of pain to counter any argument he might be losing. I am not discounting his physical problems at all, but after ten years of listening to him go on about how resilient he was, facing down all the miserable pain and the miserable loneliness of his terrible childhood where he was locked in hospital rooms, praying to god for a cure that never ever came.... All while he NEVER gave up and DREAMED HIS DREAMS OH GOD LOOK AT MATT AND HOWHE ROSE ABOVE THE HORROR! (and never ever EVER forget that he is soon to die/spent the rest of his short short life in a wheel chair and of course, is in constant miserable pain and his family doesn't care) I mean, there's a point where it just never ends and I just roll my eyes at his "I'm miserable and sad but resilent and fighting!" routine because it never ends and Matt is well aware that he can out "misery" everyone in his family. Frankly, I totally think part of why Amy kept her mouth shut so long was because she could never win in the pity party that is Matt's life. I didn't find Audrey's dress that revealing, I must admit.

• Love 7

When Amy sat down in her house and appeared to be looking out a window, they showed a house off in the (short) distance with some men milling around outside it.  Was that Matt's house?  Is he REALLY that close to her? She can look out the window and see what is going on?  Lord.

They have that big farm ... couldn't Matt have plunked down his double wide somewhere else, some place further away?  I realize he needs to be able to get in and out via the driveway and I suppose there may be issues about access to plumbing and electricity.  But STILL.  If I had to look out the window and see my ex's place and the goings on there, I'd ... No. I couldn't do it.  

The whole situation is just nuts. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

When Amy sat down in her house and appeared to be looking out a window, they showed a house off in the (short) distance with some men milling around outside it.  Was that Matt's house?  Is he REALLY that close to her? She can look out the window and see what is going on?  Lord.

They have that big farm ... couldn't Matt have plunked down his double wide somewhere else, some place further away?  I realize he needs to be able to get in and out via the driveway and I suppose there may be issues about access to plumbing and electricity.  But STILL.  If I had to look out the window and see my ex's place and the goings on there, I'd ... No. I couldn't do it.  

The whole situation is just nuts. 

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...I seem to recall that the house he's in was on a neighboring farm that they purchased to enlarge their compound. The double wide was a different place, that they set up as a bridal-prep area when they had their so called wedding business. I might be way off base though.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...I seem to recall that the house he's in was on a neighboring farm that they purchased to enlarge their compound. The double wide was a different place, that they set up as a bridal-prep area when they had their so called wedding business. I might be way off base though.

You're close. The farm property they bought always had a farmhouse that was actually quite close to the Roloff home. The magic of editing is why we never saw it (likewise there's several surrounding farm houses that are quite close that we rarely see). They used the dilapidated farmhouse as the bridal suite for a bit and then Matt burned it down, theoretically on a whim although I STRONGLY suspect he was already planning his exit strategy. Then the double wide was installed because Matt completely refused to allow his office in the barn be used (to be clear, the office in "the barn" appears to be a very finished space so Matt was insisting on spending about 50k at a minimum simply because he couldn't cope with not having his private office for maybe three days out of the entire year, which adds to my view Matt was planning his escape) The double wide and the original farm house weren't in the same spot but they were always very close to the original Roloff house. The double wide was used for like, one wedding and then Matt convienently left his wife and hmmm, had a perfectly acceptable alternative right there on the farm.

• Love 2

Finally finished this episode. The black dress on Auj did her no favors.  Did she wear it backwards?  It was sure ugly!  I am not a prude but really?  That much "cleavage" or lack thereof...

Seems like a promo for Jeremy's photo business.

• Love 5
On 6/16/2016 at 11:52 PM, PlygPigs said:

I know it's been said before but Zach and Tori really seem to have the better relationship, they are just so much  more laid back and easygoing.

yes, like Zach and Tori are enjoying their marriage while the other two are constantly "working" on their's. Not that marriage is not work, just that they focus so much on it that it appears they are trying to not make any mistakes. That made sense to me lol :) 

• Love 2

After watching Jeremy and Audrey on the last few episodes and their "beating 50%" I think they are in love with themselves!!  They love being thought of as "hipsters"!  I do wish them the best but they are do young and foolish...one day life will blindside them and then we will see if they are as strong as they claim.

• Love 2

I'm watching tonight's episode and wondering why Zach and Jeremy are the only kids mentioned that Amy and Matt feel the need to consult about decisions regarding the farm. There are four adult siblings, right?

• Love 1

Wow just saw the previews for next week's Hawaii episode.....TORI says quote "I would be DESTROYED if you sold the farm"....really?  How is this any of your business Tori, or Audj for the matter????  Matt is talking about how he thinks Jer and Zack would be fighting over the farm and that would make him roll over in his grave.....What about Molly and Jacob???

UGH just sell that damn thing and be done with it!!  

• Love 4

There are but have Molly and Jacob ever mattered more than the princes? Golden Boy and The Little One?

And psst Molly and Jacob aren't into doing the show so they aren't mentioned so the audience doesn't expect to see them.

• Love 1

I just caught this tonight and they have really changed the tone of this doozer of a show !

I like how outgoing and confident Zach is since hooking up with Tori. Nothing to rag on about those two. 

Amy and Matt..wow. Is it editing. .are they acting..or do they really just despise each other that much? 

Jeremy needs to stfu about the farm. 

Go get a frigging job, you pretentious twat.

• Love 3
(edited)

"It would also, settle a lot of current discussions about where when Audj and I come back, where we are gonna live."

No Golden Testicles, that's not why your parents are looking at buying property. Your dad wants a two story house so he can wander around lamenting how hard life is for Matt. He can't even get up the stairs, because he spent his childhood in hospitals and woe is Matt.

Golden Testicles, take your man-bun and your unkempt woman (hey Audj, it's called a hairbrush), and get a legitimate job.

Also, did anyone else notice that the twins lair of filth has been cleaned and redecorated. I bet Amy's using it for her alleged B&B.

Edited by MegD
I forgot to finish my thoughts.
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, MegD said:

Also, did anyone else notice that the twins lair of filth has been cleaned and redecorated. I bet Amy's using it for her alleged B&B.

They had an episode where a friend came by and helped Amy cleanup and redecorate the upstairs bedrooms.

• Love 1

"parmeegian cheese".  With all the producers around her, and the fact that people use the word "parmesan" all over the place, she still can't pronounce it?!  (And I wonder what's in her "great spaghetti"?)

• Love 2

Amy's friend, Lisa I think is her name, on one of the earlier episode this season told her "don't say parmesian, it's par-ma-zan" good grief, she's college educated and does public speaking, does anyone proofread her material? And why does this irk me the way it does lol.

I was struck by Matt's whiny entitlement. "I don't want to live in a trailer... I'm too old to be living in a double wide..." First, Matt, you are the one who set that scenario up by walking out on your wife. Second... for fuck's sake really? You're too damn special to deign to live in a rather *nice* manufactured home? You're just better than that? I'd be more sympathetic if it wasn't a nice place but it really is... Are we supposed to feel sorry for poor widdle Matt that he's too goddamn awesome to have to live in a three bedroom manufactured home?

• Love 8

Listening to Amy talk, she always sounds self defeating and sounds like she has self esteem issues..and then I realize...well duh..she was married to Matt!

He was probably pretty verbally abusive...like when he talks about how he likes to take things and wrestle them to the ground (meaning issues and goals) and basically get his way. I'd have whacked him with that crutch a long time ago.

• Love 4

I'm getting a little tired of the poor grammar of these people.  Zach is the worst culprit.  Last night he said, "Him and me used to play soccer together."  I think Tori needs to get him a little educated.

• Love 1

I was disgusted, but sadly not surprised, at Jer's comment that buying more land would settle the issue of where he and Odd would live when they move back. Since the golden couple would never live in a double wide (Jer is his father's son after all) my guess is he figures Matt would build a new home, Amy would move into the double wide and the prince and princess would then move into the main house where they belong.

I have always respected Zach in that he wisely (I would assume with money made from the show) bought his own home. I guess Jer spent his money on school? In any case the two who are lecturing others on how to keep their marriages together appear to be clueless when it comes to taking responsibility for their own lives.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, auntl said:

If owning a farm is so important to these young couples, they should get a job and buy a farm.

Tori & Zach seem to have real jobs, but since Jeremy & Auj seem to be minimally employed why don't they manage the farm? When they had the pumpkin season episode, they showed a woman who was tagged as "Farm Manager". I'm sure keeping up the farm and organizing pumpkin season is a lot of work. Matt is not physically capable of doing a lot of it, and Amy never seemed all that interested in getting into the details of managing the farm. Seems like Farm Manager would be good experience for Jeremy & Auj if they really want to take over the farm some day. Of course, that means they would have actual responsibilities and have to do real work. Worst of all they would have to answer to Matt & Amy as their employers which I don't think either of them would want to do.

• Love 1

Those two are clueless.. Jeremy and Audrey  would probably turn the farm into a retreat for hipsters to come and spend an exorbitant amount of money on learning how to beat 50%!!!

• Love 4

Absolom, would you give us your opinion of the ratings when you give them?  You know, like if they are good or bad and if they are slipping in viewership.  I would be very interested in what you think.

• Love 5

LOL, I do occasionally if there is something that has drawn my attention.  I'd have to say the Roloffs have been kind of stagnant for quite some time.  There hasn't been a bump since Zach's wedding.  They're good enough to stay on TLC puttering along for who knows how long at this level.  Not good or bad, but just enough to stay.  Quite a few TLC shows are in that category. 

• Love 5

Just watched the soccer tournament episode. Regarding that portion, it would have been nice if Zach acknowledged the many people it took to put it together.

Amy keeps on trying to come across as someone she is not. Each time Matt mentioned an idea Amy starts off contrary and then in the next breath agrees.

48 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Amy keeps on trying to come across as someone she is not. Each time Matt mentioned an idea Amy starts off contrary and then in the next breath agrees.

I'm sure Matt & Amy frequently argue over Matt's ideas, but I also think there's selective editing going on. I don't buy that Amy started off contrary about buying the adjacent property.  Every conversation in the office goes the same way, and I can tell the footage is chopped up.

I also think Matt & Amy had a pretty good idea of what to do with the farm since early in their divorce proceedings, but that wouldn't be good enough drama for the show.

• Love 2

I had to rewind it but I heard Amy say "par-mee-GEE-ann". That's a new way of saying it...totally incorrect and hurts my ears, but points for creativity.

I swear I saw relief in Jer(k) and Odd's eyes when they heard about the potential for new land that came with a house.  Like they just assumed it would be handed to them vs. it being a place for Matt?  The sense entitlement of those two is astronomical.

• Love 3