Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

(edited)

Shut the fuck up, Jeremy.  You too, Audrey.  And Matt - that goes without saying.

Amy deserves to meet a nice guy who wants to spend time with her.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 11

Jeremy expects to inherit the farm outright or at least a quarter of it split with his siblings.  There is no way Matt is selling and giving Amy her half.  Deep down Amy  knows if she forced Matt to buy her out and he had to  sell she risks losing Jeremy and his future family in her life.

If Matt is thinking if selling out then Jeremy and Audrey better start working on the first grandchild so they can start yanking on Matt's  heartstrings to keep the farm for future Roloffs!

Hearing Matt finally say that he was the never the marrying kind explained a lot...at least to me. I mean we all knew it but I don't think I have ever heard him say it. I know a lot of people don't like Amy but I like her way better than him. I would not have tolerated his petulant child behavior for 20 years.

• Love 9

Hearing Matt finally say that he was the never the marrying kind explained a lot...at least to me. I mean we all knew it but I don't think I have ever heard him say it

Heh. Only Matt Roloff could be so emotionally tone deaf as to invite his elder sons on a camping trip to bond and to let them know that he realizes now that his marriage (and their lives) were an utter mistake that he regrets.

I also kind of adored how Matt merrily put the screws to Jer over how Matt was ready to sell the farm and move to an assisted living facility. I actually feel bad for Jeremy over this. He's clearly a dumb schmuck who has realized that he's not going to be able to maintain his current lifestyle by photography or navel gazing about marriage, and has clued in that the farm = money, and Daddy Matt has found a way to make Jeremy dance for him. All Matt needs to do is loudly moan how the farm is getting to be too much, it's time to sell... and if Jeremy  wants to convince him otherwise, why, Jeremy needs to be Matt's willing little bitch. I think Jeremy probably will get the farm... I just think Matt is going to make him pay one way or the other and this is the first clue. Jeremy has years of Matt ruling the roost and manipulating him with "No, I think I need to sell the farm, not give it to you" to look forward to.

• Love 8

I think Jeremy probably will get the farm... I just think Matt is going to make him pay one way or the other and this is the first clue. Jeremy has years of Matt ruling the roost and manipulating him with "No, I think I need to sell the farm, not give it to you" to look forward to.

Zoloft, I agree that Matt will be more than happy to use the nugget of the farm to make Jer dance to his tune.  However, unless Amy is bought out and Matt gets sole ownership of the farm, I don't see Amy allowing the whole thing to be given to Jer with the other kids being shafted.  Amy has always seemed to be closer to the other kids (especially Zach).  To me, Matt seemed to ignore the other kids and idolized Jer--sort of living vicariously through him as if that would have been his life had he been born without physical challenges.  Sometimes I felt as though Matt took out his self-loathing due to his physical limitations on Zach.  However, it seems as if Jer believes, as the first born, that the farm is his birthright, siblings be damned.  Unfortunately for him, this is not feudal England, and primogeniture is no longer the law of the land.  I wonder where Jacob stands in all of this?  Does he even maintain contact with anyone in the family?  And poor Molly--it's almost like she is invisible.  I also wonder what Matt's dad and Honey are up to?  They used to be on the show a lot in the beginning but I don't remember seeing anything of them in a very long time.

• Love 5
(edited)

I call bullshit on the talk of selling the farm.  I don't believe Matt ever seriously considered it, and it's drama for the cameras. Gotta love Jeremy giving marital advice to his father though.  I know Jer & Auj are very religious and anti-divorce, but he needs to accept that his parents are better off apart.

Amy was cute salsa dancing.  How lucky was it that a super short dude showed up.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 3

Matt's not selling the farm. He said so on that little after show snippet with the host at the end of the episode. It's all just a bunch of BS filler for a storyline. I'm just suprised he admitted it. I wouldn't think the producers would of been too happy with his big mouth letting the cat out of the bag before the rest of the episodes regarding selling the farm aired.

• Love 1

Well, of course Matt isn't selling the farm. But I do think the farm is being dangled just above Jeremy's grabby hands. Also seriously, I really strongly question Jeremy and Audrey's belief that Matt and Amy can work it out, and I am amused beyond belief that Jer was handing out the marriage advice while Matt's on camera in the confessional noting how his son hasn't been married long enough to get it. And Jeremy really really needs to remember that his parents aren't divorcing simply to make *his* life difficult. I mean really, he's getting a wee bit old to act like an entitled five year old who can't accept mommy and daddy's divorce.

• Love 7

Jeremy and Audrey have yet to weather any serious storm in their marriage yet.  No one gets through  life unscathed...his tough times just haven't happened yet..then and only  then will he be in a position to give advice.

• Love 6

However, unless Amy is bought out and Matt gets sole ownership of the farm, I don't see Amy allowing the whole thing to be given to Jer with the other kids being shafted.  Amy has always seemed to be closer to the other kids (especially Zach).  

In all honesty, there are so many problems, I don't think Jeremy or Audrey are bright enough to see the many, many pitfalls in their plan. No, I don't think, because of the divorce settlement, that the farm can just be handed to Jeremy because Matt actually made a pretty good point in last night's episode - that farm is the bulk of his and Amy's wealth. Matt isn't going to give up control of the farm until he's genuinely physically incapable - and for all his whining, he seems to have a good ten years, if not 20, where he will be able to ride around in the atv and tell Jeremy what to do. Jeremy doesn't understand that he will be the "acting manager" and never have real control until both his parents are dead - because I suspect Amy will keep her hand in as well. Will they both leave the entire place to him? Probably not. Are Jer and Aud expecting to be given a house? Will they insist on living with Amy? Why is Amy supposed to simply accept this?

And to be honest, I genuinely question if Jeremy has any real understanding of how "the farm" makes money, because the unpleasant truth is that the farm became popular due to the show about little people... not because it was such a cool place.

• Love 6

I need to be updated a little bit. I know Zac and Tori have jobs but what do Jer and Aud do? Do they have any jobs outside the show? Where do they live? Last time I saw the show they were living in LA, then the next time I saw it they were back near the family. It's interesting to me that Jerermy was always the golden child but Zac turned out to have gotten himself together. 

• Love 2

Ginger90 - agreed and planning to inherit could really backfire anyway. The reality is that Matt actually has a pretty valid point about assisted living. Matt's no longer married, so it's no longer Amy's job to tend him. And I don't think Jer and Auj understand that Matt may not be hale and hearty until he magically keels over peer their schedule. Just looking at him, I think he's the sort that will need some assisted care. Matt and Amy both need to consider their own retirement before Jeremy is allowed to be "part of the process".

• Love 2

Bichon - Zach is still working at the soccer gym. Tory works as a school teacher. Audrey *may* be some sort of faux yoga instructor (Barre3) and Jeremy *may* be doing photography gigs and as of late, they have been writing a for profit blog and callings themselves writers. The blog is about how they are covenant married and how awesome they are for being married. They give out marital advice that is all vaguely reminiscent of articles in Family Circle with a healthy dose of Jesus.

• Love 4

Just a quick reply about some of the above topics!

Regarding a little person baby's potential health issues:  Zach did indeed have to have surgery to replace the shunt that leads from his brain; but he also had tp have very painful surgery on his legs which were bowing at that time.  They showed all of this on the show.  He had to have both legs broken, realigned, then screws placed into the bones and also attached to a brace.  He had to live like this for months, while new bone grew and filled in the broken areas so as to straighten his legs.   I have a friend whose daughter had this exact surgery.  Not fun for the child, not fun for the parents who have to see their child suffer.

I'm not saying that Zach shouldn't want to have a child like himself, just pointing out that a little person child and adult for that matter, faces the potential for more than usual the amount of serious heath issues.

Regarding the farm and Matt and Amy needed the proceeds of the sale of it to fund their old age:  I have a feeling that within the next few years they will indeed transfer title/deed/whatever to their children in order to protect it from being taken by the government should they need to use government funded care.  If they have good lawyers, this will all be done sooner rather than later, because you can't give away your property at the "last minute" so to speak, in order to hide it from law.  I actually think that what Jeremy said makes sense, and I can see it really appealing to both Matt and Amy; the idea of living at home with part time outside care coming in, if needed.  Until the very end of their lives, they may not need to be hospitalized for a long period of time. 

They can write up a legal document that states exactly how they want things handled, going forward, including working out the details with all 4 of their children, although they don't necessarily have to involve all 4 of them.  There *are* ways to legally do this. 

The big question will be, can the farm sustain a large(r) family(-ies) as their sole means of support, regardless of Matt's and Amy's retirement years....?

This is, of course, just my humble opinion. YMMV. 

• Love 2

They might get away with cheating the government if they put everything in an irrevocable  family trust, but Matt will never never give up control.  And Amy was never mentioned. Ican easily see Jrr and Auj telling Amy she can only stay ifshe's a good Christian wife and stays married. Sell Amy and run fast.

• Love 2
On June 8, 2016 at 0:21 AM, Steff said:

Ol Jer & Auj (ugh) kinda panicked there when Matt talked about selling the farm.  Nothing like being obvious about that level of entitlement. 

When Matt mentioned selling the farm to set up plans for his old age, I thought "Jer" looked like a gigged frog!  The panic was clearly written all over his face.  He and his wife would need to get full time real jobs!  No more chasing hipster art-y "passions" without Pumpkin Cash to fall back on! ( I'm not saying people can't make livings pursuing artistic careers like photography, dance, painting...just the Jer and Odd don't seem to be the types to actually work) 

I think Matt handled the conversation with Amy about her ideas for a kitchen refresh very calmly and maturely.  And his talk with his friend, and then with the boys around the campfire were both very self-aware.  I think he has become a little more introspective and able to see beyond his "my way or the highway" philosophy since the divorce started.

• Love 3

I can't believe Jeremy had the audacity to say he wanted to be included in any further discussions about selling the farm. News flash: it's none of your business! I cant stand him, Audrey or Matt. They all irritate the hell out of me with their smugness, especially Audrey. Ughh, her voice is even like nails on a chalkboard!  Zach, Tori and Amy seem a lot more grounded and even keeled.

• Love 9
On 6/9/2016 at 6:59 PM, BusyOctober said:

When Matt mentioned selling the farm to set up plans for his old age, I thought "Jer" looked like a gigged frog!  The panic was clearly written all over his face.

There was something about that whole exchange that made me think that Matt has previously implied, if not outright said, that Jeremy would get the farm. It made me remember that when the kids were younger Matt's nickname for Jeremy was "Farm" because he enjoyed working on the farm much more than the other kids. I've previously thought (like many others here) that Jeremy was quite presumptuous to think he would get the farm, but now I think that Matt has strongly lead Jeremy to believe that. Perhaps Matt's thoughts of Jeremy getting the farm were that he would have to buy out his other siblings, but I don't think Matt necessarily made that clear to Jeremy or that Jeremy got that message.

• Love 1

I doubt it was ever *directly* said, because I think Matt is too manipulative to ever let himself be pinned down that way. But I do think - because I see Matt saying on the show all the time over the last ten years, that Matt has always said he wants one of the kids to take over the farm, that the farm is his reason for living etc etc.

I don't put a lot of importance on Matt's nickname for Jer because it's clearly something Matt has called Jeremy since very early childhood. Along those lines, Zach's life role should have something to do with firearms since Matt's nickname for him was "Pistol" and Molly is "Sistergirl" so if she's her nickname, she's never marrying etc etc.

So part of the problem is that I doubt Matt's ever seriously thought about the financial aspects until the divorce came up. Now he has, and also lets be honest, if you were a control freak running a successful business, would you (the general you) want to give that business and all your assets to Jer-Bear and Auj-poj?

That said, Jeremy really is a dumb schmuck if he thinks, at age 26, that there's no considerations to be had other than his own. God knows, I don't think the man is clever at all, the term "as dull as paint" comes up on the Downton Abbey forums and its pretty apt about Jeremy but he's not entirely stupid. Or at least he shouldn't be entirely stupid and yet he does seem to be a near classic millennial stereotype, way too impressed with himself and expecting to handed a perfect set up. There are issues with this idea even if Jeremy was an only child, simply because Matt and Amy aren't required to provide *that much* for him. I don't think Jeremy understands he's asking for when he demands he be part of the process. He just wants the farm to play on.

• Love 7

From what I understand, TLC is the biggest financial supporter of the farm.  Their exposure on the show has led to explosive sales for their pumpkin farm.  If Jer and Such inherit the farm how do they plan to sustain their current income and run the place.  Ten yrs from now who will watch 2 ordinary people run a pumpkin farm.   Matt, Amy and Zach are the " little people" on the show.

• Love 2
On 6/9/2016 at 5:07 AM, beeziebee said:

Amy, Amy, Amy!   DAUGHTERS-in-law!  NOT daughters-in LAWS!  If she said it once, she said it fifty times!  It makes you sound dumb, and you're not!  

Amy said it right the first time.  Production must not have liked the way it sounded and had her change.

This Jeremy/wife marriage experts is giving me a migraine.  One couple says they make sure to call each to check in and Jeremy says, "Wow!  That's intentional."  Um, yeah numb nuts.  Unless you're butt dialing, calling someone is intentional. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Oh their website is hilarious if you look at it from the perspective that ten years from now, they're so going to regret posting blogs about how they like fucking each other for Jesus.

Woods, I totally agree, and because I am a nice person, I don't wish a child on them... but a baby is so going to kick their asses.

*also do note that they have SCOURED all negative remarks from the website, and also scoured their own remarks where they discuss how their site is not for gay people and they do not agree with gay marriage.

Edited by ZoloftBlob
needed to remind everyone Jer and Auj are hiding their dislike of gay people
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, woodscommaelle said:

Jer and Auj are insufferable assholes.

God, that just sums it up. Two things I noticed about these smug hipsters tonight: 

1) 'Jer' is hiding a bit of a temper. In the dishwashing scene and scene when he flatly refused a polite request to call the photo company, I saw, for just a second, some of Matt's inflexibility and impatience in him.

2) 'Auj' (and what is that? AUJ.) is not nearly as pretty as I want her to be. She's all that hair and attitude and so you think she's this hottie, but then you really look at her and realize she has a pointy rat face. I'm a dick, it's true. 

• Love 15
(edited)
33 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Oh their website is hilarious if you look at it from the perspective that ten years from now, they're so going to regret posting blogs about how they like fucking each other for Jesus.

Woods, I totally agree, and because I am a nice person, I don't wish a child on them... but a baby is so going to kick their asses

Lol! I guess I'm not a nice person (but really, I'm pretty nice :), I TOTALLY wish a child on these dicks. Not for the poor sake of the child, but like, as you said, so they can get their asses kicked. I love it!!!

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 1

Woods, I would just feel too bad for the kid. You know that they would both be gritting their teeth in rage over how they can't just flit off to the Bahamas on a whim or spend all Sunday fucking for Jesus and rockclimbing and playing chess and whatever other pretentious douchery they devote themselves to.

I have the unpleasant feeling that a kid or kids would spend a lot of their childhood hearing how Mommy and Daddy were giving up all their dreams so that the kids could have this childhood. There's a weird selfish vibe to these two....

• Love 4

All while dumping the kid off at Amy's.

Mind you, I don't think Amy would say no.

Caracoa1 - Yes, the plan is to inherit and also to make money off their marital blog. Which... maybe?  But a)I find it overly preachy and dull and b) a wee bit too narrowly focused. It's not attracting ad content although they did get a giant, somewhat hilarious commercial last night.

Last night episode also convinced me that the show would never last with just Jeremy. He's so monotone and bored looking and sounding on camera. That passed when he was a kid but now?

• Love 2

I used to watch this show all the time, so I decided to check in on Little People Big Divorce.  How boring this show has become.  It used to be kind of fun.  Watching a whole segment on them figuring out who gets the salsa business is not entertainment.  I see the kids still don't have much ambition.  A couples website, eh.  I still like Amy though.  The rest is a snore.

• Love 3

Fully expect Jer/Auj to shilling themselves on Amazing Race (too dumb to figure out the clues), Jer on Survivor (man bun, check), Mygrations (Auj gets bowled over by a wart hog, Jer-man bun, check) the list, unfortunately is endless.

• Love 2

I really don't need marriage advice from someone who is 2 years married.  Maybe after 46 years of it I should do a blog..."How to avoid smacking the crap out of your spouse"  I like Zach and Torrie down to earth people

• Love 14

Last night was and big marketing commercial for J and A website.

Fast forwarded thru their stuff but did watch the Amy/Matt Spat Feature. Matt says he hates the slow speed the divorce is taking yet Amy could not get him to answer, "Do you want to stay a part of the salsa business?". Matt hem haws around and she says, "It's a simple yes or no, Matt." So just WHO is the holdup, Matt...and NOW you want to buy another piece of property? Now?

I'm thinking Amy wants to keep the salsa as hers, sell the farm and split. Matt is conniving to keep it all. That's why he won't answer. Amy's problem is that J will probably never speak to her again if she is the reason they sell. But, then again, it's obvious that her tie is to Zach and I don't think it's that big a deal to him.

Personally, I don't care for anyone in this family except Molly, but I hope Amy stands her ground and does well in the divorce.

• Love 2

Matt is looking to come out with with  as much as possible  rather than an equitable  share. Another piece of property would further the cause.

Basically Matt said the salsa biz moves too slow to be worth his attention because of Amy.

• Love 1