Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, tallykat said:

I'm sure it's wildly complicated legally. 

It is, and it's also fascinating and infuriating.  Federal Indian Law was one of my favorite courses in law school.

• Love 7

I said Plato's Republic, but figured it was wrong. I honestly don't know too many other works besides that one. 

Got resolution, Diamondbacks, caddies, scarlet fever, Sea-Tac Del-Mar, Altered Carbon, and guessed Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It's a $200 clue so I get why they were baffled as it was referring to the India Gate in New Dehli as opposed to the one in Arlington National Cemetery. 

• Love 4

Gak!  Sean the Enunciator who can't say "hundred" properly lives.  I liked both of the other contestants.  Quin deserved to win just because he was a nerd who ran home at lunch to watch Jeopardy!  My kind of guy.

I got tea caddies, resolution (DD), Diamondbacks, Sea-Tak, and Carbon.

I was a slack jawed idiot for FJ.

• Love 12

In yesterday's game instead of "bereavement" I said "death of a spouse" because I thought the statistics pointed to that moreso than the death of any loved one.

Not a great game for me today because although I got the missed resolution DD I didn't get any TS and had no clue on FJ. 

Sean's OK with me so far. Maybe he over-enunciates to keep Alex from correcting him LOL

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

guessed Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It's a $200 clue so I get why they were baffled as it was referring to the India Gate in New Dehli as opposed to the one in Arlington National Cemetery. 

I didn't understand that one at all.  I couldn't figure out what some guy from India had to do with the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  *off to Google*

• Love 2

Trebek hit a new low by asking Quin why he went home at lunchtime to watch Jeopardy when he was in school. Because he liked(s) the show, dumb ass.

Couldn't believe Sea-Tac/SeaTac was a TS. No one learns airports? Maybe it's just easy for me since I've flown in there. I also remember the contestant from SeaTac who was on not that long ago. These players should have been sitting in the audience waiting their turns when that person was on.

I seriously question Quin's occupation of "graphics" since he didn't have a clue what resolution is. But then again, that's my field and I work with hundreds (literally) of people who call themselves "designers" yet can't create a file with the correct resolution. I just assume when someone sends in an ad they created themselves that it's wrong.

Meanwhile, thanks a lot everyone here who ranked on Sean's pronunciation of "hundrit." Now I'm listening for it and it bugs me too. I never would have noticed it otherwise.

I can't help but think Sean Spicer when I look at him though, so I'm not entirely on his team.

• Love 7

I rooted for Quin since I used to do the same thing (go home to watch daytime Jeopardy!) when I was a high school senior and allowed to leave the building for lunch. Since Jeopardy! has not been a daytime show since early 1975, that would mean Quin is in his early 60's or nearly so. Alex was right that he didn't look it.

I got resolution, scarlet fever, Alexander Selkirk, and Carbon. FJ was easy for me as a classicist, but that was a tough question for anyone not familiar with the life and works of Plato apart from his Republic.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I rooted for Quin since I used to do the same thing (go home to watch daytime Jeopardy!) when I was a high school senior and allowed to leave the building for lunch. Since Jeopardy! has not been a daytime show since early 1975, that would mean Quin is in his early 60's or nearly so. Alex was right that he didn't look it.

Different stations air Jeopardy at different times, so I don't think you can assume his age.

• Love 5

Okay, Sean really annoyed me tonight, and Quin didn’t start off well, either, flailing the buzzer like he did.  Quin grew on me, though, and I hoped he’d make it.  Nabila lost me with the water sommelier thing.

I was clueless on FJ.  I did, however, manage to get the TS/missed DD of unknown soldier, caddies, resolution, scarlet fever, Sea-Tac, and Delmar.

• Love 2

If that guy is sixty, I want to know what vitamins he's taking.  He also might have gone home to watch daytime reruns.

I really did go home at lunch to watch first-run Jeopardy! (my cousin's home, actually, not mine, since her house was right across the street from school).  Art Fleming was the host then.  I got to meet him years later, playing a pilot game of a show the producers were trying to get on the air.  He was the host, and he was totally hostly even in person.  And I won!

Quin got on my nerves, slightly more than Sean.  That pirate thing was stupid.

As far as being a water sommelier goes, I wonder if Nabila can taste my little town in a bottle of Poland Spring.  They tap into our aquifer and sell our water as theirs.

• Love 7

Riverworld! Altered Carbon! And both are or have been tv series as well as books. I'm always sad when the contestants don't know science fiction. It's one of the types of categories I can almost always clean up with. 

Sean's a good player, but he definitely bugs.

• Love 2

I got caddies, scarlet fever, and SeaTac. I didn't know FJ and took a wild stab with One Life. (Maybe I had that other category name stuck in my head.)

I didn't know Mr Rogers' mother knitted a lot of his sweaters. What a wonderful man he was.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Kathira said:

Riverworld! Altered Carbon! And both are or have been tv series as well as books. I'm always sad when the contestants don't know science fiction. It's one of the types of categories I can almost always clean up with. 

Sean's a good player, but he definitely bugs.

I know, right? I was flabbergasted on a different board for a sci-fi show when many didn't know Asimov's Foundation series. Riverworld, at least, is less well known. Loved the book, hated both series. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I know, right? I was flabbergasted on a different board for a sci-fi show when many didn't know Asimov's Foundation series. Riverworld, at least, is less well known. Loved the book, hated both series. 

Riverworld is one of those books that's hard to adapt well to the screen. It's so sprawling and high concept and weird and over-the top all at the same time. I totally loved the historical characters and the wild visual ideas, but they need a strong editing hand. Asimov's Foundation was an answer on Jeopardy recently, wasn't it? I think they got it.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Kathira said:

Riverworld! Altered Carbon!

Those were two of the TS that stumped me right along with the contestants (the other being Selkirk).  I got the other TS; I knew FJ, plus Sea-Tac, scarlet fever, and Diamondbacks, I guessed correctly on unknown soldier, and I scored with a wild-ass guess on caddies (something I would not have rung in with under game conditions), but I had no clue on those two. 

But, I hate sci-fi other than The X-Files and the modern Battlestar Galactica (and even those two I have trouble with when they get traditionally sci-fi), so that's to be expected; it's a genre I'd need to study before appearing on the show.

The Sea-Tac TS was really surprising to me as a TS; in fact, stunning, maybe.  That must be something I, for whatever reason, think is far more widely known than it is. 

• Love 2

Since Jeopardy! has not been a daytime show since early 1975...

My first mother-in-law would watch J! during the day. Then we'd all watch at night and she's KNOW 90% (or more) of the answers. We were impressed.

Naturally, we begged her...please, please go on the show. She said she "couldn't press the buzzer fast enough." Heh!

• Love 2

Tuesday's game moved so slowly. It seemed like all 3 contestants took forever to choose the next clue. (hint: stop jumping around; just move on to the next clue unless one of your Cliff Clavin categories is up there)

TS I got were tea caddy, resolution (Quin's missed DD), scarlet fever, SeaTac, Altered Carbon. I said Republic for FJ. 

I wonder if the reason Sean enunciates so determinedly is due to a childhood speech impediment. And besides hundred & acturarily, he had an issue with stethoscope today. Or maybe his mouth tends to work faster than his brain, like mine sometimes does ;-)

I can tell the difference in many bottled waters too. 

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I also remember the contestant from SeaTac who was on not that long ago.

That was Ryan, if I remember correctly. 

• Love 6

I didn't have my best game, but I'm blaming my girlfriend, who popped in (I hate the pop in!) and kept chatting throughout the episode. I swear her not understanding Jeopardy etiquette is why we'll never get married! 

Anyway, my gets were unknown soldier, Diamondbacks (their mascot has my last name, which is why I, a lifelong Phillies fan, have a Diamondbacks jersey), and SeaTac. 

I had no clue on FJ. None. 

• Love 7

I wonder if the reason Sean enunciates so determinedly is due to a childhood speech impediment.

I just figured he was making sure he was pronouncing the answers correctly. I don't think I did it when I was on but its something I can totally see myself doing. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

As far as being a water sommelier goes, I wonder if Nabila can taste my little town in a bottle of Poland Spring.  They tap into our aquifer and sell our water as theirs.

I got sort of lost in Poland, Maine a couple of years ago.  Not really lost, I just took a wrong turn at a 5-way intersection, and it took me a bit to realize it.

7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I can tell the difference in many bottled waters too. 

As long as you don't call yourself a water sommelier!

• Love 5
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I seriously question Quin's occupation of "graphics" since he didn't have a clue what resolution is

Okay, I work in web application design and was completely thrown off by the way this clue was presented. Throwing in the reference to the ending of a novel distracted me from what I should have been thinking about, so that, in the time allotted, I totally blanked. You know, those answers where you spend the whole time going "What? Novel ending, graphic, huh?" and then Alex is saying: "Resolution?" like how can you not get the simplest question in the world? And then it's on to the next clue. Quin didn't ring in on "hue" which I got and I heard him mutter something about another "color question." I think he was embarrassed for himself. 

I also Unknown Soldier from the "iconic fighter" or something like that in the clue. I think most every country has some sort of monument to their unknown soldiers.

• Love 9

Since Jeopardy! has not been a daytime show since early 1975...

When I was a kid, if I stayed home sick from school, Jeopardy was one of my little treats to watch. That and Art Linkletter. HATED soap operas, and with only 2-3 channels around, that was all that was on in the afternoon. 

I be old.  

• Love 12

I had three guesses in Monday's game which all turned out to be correct: Native Americans, Ptolemy and FJ.  Don't know why I thought of the Weather Channel.  Maybe because my dad was kind of obsessed with the local on the 8s.  (Which I don't get with my satellite system.  Pooey.)

• Love 3
17 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I said Plato's Republic, but figured it was wrong. I honestly don't know too many other works besides that one. 

That's the only Plato work I know, so that's what I would've said even though it didn't really fit the clue.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I can't help but think Sean Spicer when I look at him though, so I'm not entirely on his team.

Maybe that's why I didn't like him.  There's something about him which bugs, but I can't put my finger on it.  Not like with Austin where it was obvious.

15 hours ago, Kathira said:

I've read science fiction and fantasy - mostly fantasy - for decades, and would never have gotten either one of these.

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:14 AM, teebax said:

Sean seems intense and seems to over-enunciate his words

...and the lunge.  Don't forget the lunge!  That's what knocks me out!

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

As long as you don't call yourself a water sommelier!

What pairs best with fish do you think, Aquafina or Dasani?

8 hours ago, tallykat said:

Okay, I work in web application design and was completely thrown off by the way this clue was presented. Throwing in the reference to the ending of a novel distracted me from what I should have been thinking about, so that, in the time allotted, I totally blanked. You know, those answers where you spend the whole time going "What? Novel ending, graphic, huh?" and then Alex is saying: "Resolution?" like how can you not get the simplest question in the world? And then it's on to the next clue. Quin didn't ring in on "hue" which I got and I heard him mutter something about another "color question." I think he was embarrassed for himself. 

I was too (work in web design too). I don't recall the exact wording, but I thought he said that for a novel it was a good outcome, or some such thing, which a resolution isn't, necessarily.

4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I've read science fiction and fantasy - mostly fantasy - for decades, and would never have gotten either one of these.

I think Philip Jose Farmer wasn't the best known scifi novel, but I loved Riverworld. He had another series I can't quite remember, but it was about an overpopulated society where people lived in stasis 6 days a week. Anyone know that one?

I hadn't read the Altered Carbon book, but I did just watch the first episode of the series on Netflix - so I had that one in the bag.

• Love 1

I had a problem with some of the judging today. It didn't impact the outcome of the game, but they shouldn't have accepted Sean's pronunciations of veterinarian and discography. Honestly, I just wish there were some consistency in the judging. It's turning into the equivalent of what is and isn't a catch in the NFL. 

Rant over. My gets were SCLC, Social Security Act, proprietary, Cleveland Plain Dealer, and FJ was an instaget. Alex's comment about Marcy not bring from NYC was stupid. You don't need to be from there to know the sports team colors. You just need to know basketball or baseball uniforms, or what the Dutch flag looks like. 

9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

FJ was an instaget.

The new champ also says hundrit.  Won’t someone think of the children?

I think  you mean, won't someone think of the chillun. 

Edited by teebax
There was another way to get FJ, as Prevailing pointed out below!
  • Love 18

I think Sean did too much tripping on his tongue and TPTB were WAY too lenient...especially tonight's show.  No way should he have been credited with "veterginarian."

For those in the Atlanta viewing area and missed the crawl at the biginning of the show: J! will be seen at its normal time on channel 36 (WATL) during the Olympic brouhaha. Set your DVRs accordingly.

As soon as I saw the FJ category, I said aloud, "orange."  I got all 3 colors based on the Dutch flag part of the clue.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, teebax said:

I had a problem with some of the judging today. It didn't impact the outcome of the game, but they shouldn't have accepted Sean's pronunciations of veterinarian and discography. Honestly, I just wish there were some consistency in the judging. It's turning into the equivalent of what is and isn't a catch in the NFL.

The only way those rulings make any sense (and that can be a stretch with the kind of judging we've been seeing lately) is if they know he has some kind of speech difficulty that he's dealing with.  It still doesn't seem fair, but it might be an accommodation.

9 minutes ago, teebax said:

You don't need to be from there to know the sports team colors. You just need to know basketball or baseball uniforms.

It also helps to know the name of the Dutch royal house.  And then you're a third of the way there.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

The only way those rulings make any sense (and that can be a stretch with the kind of judging we've been seeing lately) is if they know he has some kind of speech difficulty that he's dealing with.  It still doesn't seem fair, but it might be an accommodation.

It also helps to know the name of the Dutch royal house.  And then you're a third of the way there.

Yeah I lasered in on the sports thing, which is my wheelhouse. I forgot they mentioned the Dutch flag until I read it here. 

• Love 1

As another person posted a while back, I feel Sean has a speech impediment which causes him to over enunciate and also get a bit tongue tied. I feel that's why judges awarded him a pass on veterinarian. I'm sad to see him go. Because of his unusual last name, I googled him. He's only 23 and has been a big Jeopardy fan his whole life, and tried out for all the teen and other kid tournaments. I'm glad he finally got on and even was a two-day champ. My apologies for throwing shade on him.

Edited by saber5055
If anyone knows how to get rid of those empty multiple quote boxes, please HELP!
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think Sean did too much tripping on his tongue and TPTB were WAY too lenient...especially tonight's show.  No way should he have been credited with "veterginarian."

I hated that he got credit for that. Alex paused a bit to give Sean a chance to correct himself and he didn't. That was Sean's error. He knew he screwed up the pronunciation but didn't bother to even try to make it right.

• Love 8

Glad Spicey's gone, although the new guy bugs, too.  How hard is it to say hundred?

The judging was horrendous today.  First off, the character on Sex and the City, Carrie Bradshaw, said that, not the actress SJP.  That's like asking about one of Hamlet's lines and accepting Lawrence Olivier.    WTF is a vegetenarian?  And dis-ogrophy is all kinds of wrong.  Oh, and it's Harold Ramis, not Reemus.

I got cosmos, Social Security Act, proprietary, and the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

I only got the orange part of FJ because of the Dutch.  I don't follow any NY sports teams so I have no idea what their team colors are.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 12

Yowza! I was a complete loser tonight, got only one TS - Cleveland Plain Dealer. And was only 2/3 right on FJ.  (I said blue, orange and red instead of white) 

John’s fist pumps and pronunciation of “hundrit” are not helping me like him. 

I agree the judging decisions were a bit wonky when it came to Sean’s mis-pronunciations. Consistency is not their strong suit. 

@CarpeDiem54 a vegetanarian is new portmanteau word-an animal doctor who doesn’t eat meat. Amazing how much we learn every day from watching this show.

• Love 7

question: what is one of the worst fashion trends ever?  answer: the cold shoulder top.  In spite of her fashion faux pas I was rooting for middle contestant (sorry don't remember her name).  But I'm ok with the new champ.  I had no clue for FJ. 

• Love 18

As I''m from the Boston area, I'm sure I would sound odd on national television, so I'm not one to comment on people's pronunciations.  

28 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got cosmos, Social Security Act, proprietary, and the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Got those, the Arctic Ocean, C.S. Lewis (as the more famous land was Narnia), and FJ. 

Props to John for going -$2000 to winning with $19601. 

• Love 4

@SierraMist, if I could like your post more than once, I would.  I hate hate hate the cold shoulder tops, too.  If not for that, I could have rooted for Marcy.  

While I’m not best pleased they let Sean pass with his pronunciations, I believe they must have done because he has some type of speech impediment.  Otherwise, there is no excuse.  And it would explain his difficulty with “actuarily” the other day.  Nevertheless, I’m not sad to see him go, although John’s buzzer flailing is going to get old fast.

I missed FJ, saying yellow, white and blue.  I thought of orange, but changed my mind.  And the only TS I got were Swift, Social Security Act, and C.S. Lewis.

• Love 6

How would having a John and a Sean cause complications, Alex?  You of all people can properly articulate the two names so it’s clear what name is being said -- and, look, you did.

Giving credit for that mangled version of veterinarian was bullshit.  I find it rather funny that the contestant who’s so careful in his enunciation he often sounds ridiculous is the one who tripped up and spit out something stupid.  And giving him credit for discography when he left out the c was crap, too.  “Disography/Yes, discography.”  Um, NO! 

I knew the SCLC, but also predicted someone was going to guess the NAACP instead.  Same with the SSA – I knew someone was going to say the New Deal.

I also got cosmos, shrill, remedy, proprietary, Ulan Bator, but the other TS also stumped me.  And even where the contestants weren’t, I was terrible in the Authors’ Fictional Places category; I don’t think I’d read a single one of the books.  (I read significantly more non-fiction than fiction, so it’s an ongoing problem, but that was particularly bad.)

FJ was easy for me; if you’d just asked me to name the NYC flag colors, I’d have had to guess, but ask me the colors of the Knicks and Mets, and I’ve got it.  The Dutch flag part of the clue just confirmed I was right.

I was rooting for Marcy, but John played a good game.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

That's what I assumed.

1 hour ago, SierraMist said:

question: what is one of the worst fashion trends ever?  answer: the cold shoulder top. 

That's what it's called? See what I learn here.

Honestly, I never notice when someone pronounces 'hundred' as 'hundrit.' Doesn't bother me. As a coworker once said years ago, That's mouse nuts.

My TSs were cosmos, Harold Arlen, and the DD of Swift. I said social security, but not social security act, so I don't think I would have gotten credit.

I took a wild stab at FJ with green, yellow, white. I should have remembered that orange goes with Dutch. Oh well. I'm bad at flags.

• Love 8