Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Yay Rachel's reign of cutesy terror has come to an end! I'm sure Alex's heart soared when she did her Gump accent but now his lady love is gone. 

The new champ's OK with me for now. I'll give her a pass on the into because she chilled out as the game went on and also got that calling out the full category name + please under control.

For TS I got The Mary Tyler Moore Show, calico, and Cuba, and I got the usury DD (which seemed so easy I wondered if I was wrong).

FJ was an instaget, not because I remember that long name but because Pippi Longstocking stands out as a real weirdo in children's lit for me. I remember seeing reruns of the Swedish TV show (dubbed in english) as a kid and being fascinated by how strange the show was, not only because Pippi was an odd character having odd adventures but because she was played by an actress who looked to me like a 35 year old in a child's body. That plus the fact the words weren't matching with the movement of her mouth was like the TV version of an acid trip to little me.

p.s. on Chrome, I'm now seeing these weird green blocks next to the hearts. Hoping it's a bug that will disappear...

5a6be525aff56_ScreenShot2018-01-26at9_33_13PM.jpg.992035f4c0cf5fc9bd1760b39fcb3155.jpg

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 10

Mondrianyone, go ahead and like your instructional post a dozen times. I'm writing this from Firefox, which has View in the menu bar, Zoom is Command + for a quick key on Macs. And YoureSoUrban, those green boxes are showing up in Firefox too. But not in Safari. I guess because the gigunda "LIKE" HEART takes up so much space. (Hey look, I can even bold face text in Firefox!)

Edited by saber5055
Because I can in Firefox, cannot in Safari!
  • Love 3

I'm going to miss Rachael and the judicial rulings. 

"Good news for Rachael. During the break, our judges have remembered they think you're cute, and have decided to accept your answer of kumquat for the capital of California. So we're returning your $2000, and to make things a bit easier for you, we're also taking away $1200 from each of your opponents, simply because we can"

• Love 24
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The best part is missing from your post, Opus, that Rachel was a Carson City area native and Carson High School graduate. Kit Carson rules!

Okay, this is driving me nuts.  I'm new to the forum -- just started watching Jeopardy! after a 20-year-break -- and I've missed several Kit Carson references (inside jokes?) -- what's the story?

• Love 1

<hugs the forum>

I missed you last night.

The new champ lost me at her intro.  I'm unforgiving like that!

Got The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Cuba tonight.  I was only half paying attention, though, since two out of three contestants were bugging the hell out of me.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

No clue for FJ.  

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

Okay, this is driving me nuts.  I'm new to the forum -- just started watching Jeopardy! after a 20-year-break -- and I've missed several Kit Carson references (inside jokes?) -- what's the story?

The story behind all the Kit Carson references is explained here. It's become a running joke whenever someone should have been asked for more info but wasn't, or whose answer was rejected as incomplete when (in our humble opinion) one name should have sufficed.

I missed tonight's game. I'm eager to see Jennifer on Monday. I gather she's managed to annoy some of us already.

I believe Rachel said "A Doll House" instead of "A Doll's House," the play's title, but I guess the judges didn't mind.

Since the original title was in Norwegian and "A Doll's House" is a translation, "A Doll House" isn't an error but an alternative translation, I quote from Wikipedia: 

The title of the play is most commonly translated as A Doll's House, though some scholars use A Doll House. John Simon says that A Doll’s House is "the British term for what we call a 'dollhouse'".[6] Egil Törnqvist says of the alternative title: "Rather than being superior to the traditional rendering, it simply sounds more idiomatic to Americans."[

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 4

AuntiePam, the Kit Carson snark started a couple years ago. It's a rag on BMS, Alex sometimes saying Be More Specific and sometimes not. The clue was something like the capital of Nevada is named after this frontiersman/mountain man. The player answered "Carson," which would be totally acceptable any other time, but Trebek said "BMS" when he lets answers like Smith and Jones go with no first names. I think the player blanked on Kit, so lost. Others I am sure remember the details better than I. But that's why we say "Kit" for everyone's first name when we think a player should be asked to BMS.

Oops, sorry, GreekGeek answered AuntiePam's question while I was stumbling through edits trying to make my reply make sense. Greek did it better. Thanks!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Hooray Jennifer!  After Rachel's dirty feet story, horrible Southern accent (which of course Alex loved since it was just as bad as his), and the idiotic guess of Schlitz brandy, I was even more over her than I had been.  Good grief.  Schlitz brandy.

Ahem.  I did not get FJ, having never read or seen Pippi Longstocking.  I chose Charlotte of Charlotte's Web, even though I knew it was so very wrong.  Not as wrong as Schlitz brandy, but still very wrong.  I did, however, get The Mary Tyler Moore Show, calico, gun, Wikileaks (surprising TS), Westminster, and the missed DD of usury.  I was shouting usury! at my TV, but as usual, the contestant didn't hear me.

The jellyfish on that sign looked an awful lot like sperm.

I told my husband I would never have shared the dirty feet story on national tv - but then again, there are lots of things I wouldn't actually share on tv that many people have. 

Schlitz may have been very wrong - but it led me to the right answer (not that I can spell slivovitz - well, maybe?).

I had the same thought about the jellyfish. I thought it was maybe a "beware of eels" sign (because that was the animal with the closest resemblance to sperm I could think of). 

• Love 4

Rachel is not a teacher, she is a fire lookout in Bend, Oregon.

Oops. Right. I stand corrected.

Readers oft correct me, too. I once wrote: "Just like Tony Curtis, he came from Brooklyn."

Tony Curtis is from the Bronx.

Guess how many letters and emails I got? :)

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

George III was my instaguess, and I couldn't get past him even though I knew the timeline was off by a century.  But TBH Van Gogh would have never entered my mind anyway. 

Ditto, although Rasputin did pop into my mind.

When Rachel did her southern accent and Alex just lapped it up, I could picture you all making barf motions, as I did:)

I didn't do well on ts's last night, just got Rhine and the missed DD of usury.

For FJ I said Madeline; I've never read Pippi Longstocking.

I am 1:5 for FJ's this week, my only get being Mycroft.  Hope I do better next week.

• Love 8

Final Jeopardy was super easy for me. I read a few of those books as a kid, and I distinctly remember that Pippi had a long string of names, and that one of them was Windowshade!!! My sister said it sounds like Anne (of Green Gables) but she knows Anne didn't say that. On hearing the answer "Ah yes another precocious independent girl with red braids."

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, Trey said:

When Rachel did her southern accent and Alex just lapped it up, I could picture you all making barf motions, as I did:)

Me too. Part of the fun when watching the show is telling my husband "oh the forum's going to have a field day with this" :)

• Love 13
7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Oops. Right. I stand corrected.

Readers oft correct me, too. I once wrote: "Just like Tony Curtis, he came from Brooklyn."

Tony Curtis is from the Bronx.

Guess how many letters and emails I got? :)

Were they all from the Bronx?  A few years ago, I became fixated on "THE" Bronx and did some research. In the early days, all that land was owned by a family named Bronck. So when people went to visit, they said they were going to "The Broncks' " and the name stuck.

I never read Pippi Longstocking, but I thought those names were far too English to be naming a Swedish chick, so I just shrugged. But then, Longstocking doesn't sound Swedish either.  My logic was totally faulty.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, illdoc said:

Not only does "European Brother Madness"= Van Gogh, but for "Madness" alone there are only 2 obvious answers--Van Gogh & King George (who wasn't 19th century so could be ruled out)!!!! 

Sure he was; he didn't die until 1820, at age 81.  He's the 3rd-longest reigning British monarch, on the throne almost 60 years.  Only one of his brothers, however, lived into the 1800's (William Henry, who died in 1805.)

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The jellyfish on that sign looked an awful lot like sperm.

That thought briefly entered my mind, too.

It just occurred to me that if every location where we needed to beware of sperm had its own sign, the earth would be positively wallpapered.

And if nobody likes this post, I'll go do it myself.  I feel absolutely drunk with power.

• Love 18
14 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Since the original title was in Norwegian and "A Doll's House" is a translation, "A Doll House" isn't an error but an alternative translation, I quote from Wikipedia: 

Thank you for the info. If I don't learn something from Jeopardy, I learn it from here. :)

6 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I don’t get how Westminster and Wikileaks were both a TS. 

I had Buckingham Palace stuck in my head, but I knew that wasn't right. I kicked myself when Alex said Westminster.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

That thought briefly entered my mind, too.

It just occurred to me that if every location where we needed to beware of sperm had its own sign, the earth would be positively wallpapered.

And if nobody likes this post, I'll go do it myself.  I feel absolutely drunk with power.

I liked it. 

But feel free to do some drinking anyways :)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Sure he was; he didn't die until 1820, at age 81.  He's the 3rd-longest reigning British monarch, on the throne almost 60 years.  Only one of his brothers, however, lived into the 1800's (William Henry, who died in 1805.)

Mad King Ludwig of Bavaria entered my mind at one point - he was actually in the right timeframe (he died 4 years before Van Gogh), but I didn't think he had a brother, so I managed to get it right.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Rachel's originally from Carson City. I thought you all might like to know. http://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/5954043-151/six-and-out-for-bends-jeopardy-champion

Be more specific. 

Rachel was a little too precious for me, but I didn't hate her like I have some other contestants. I waw okay with all three of them. Also, I do think Rachel benefitted from questionable judging. 

My gets were Mary Tyler Moore, gun, Wikileaks, Cuba, amortization, and usury. I'm awful at kiddie lit, so I didn't get FJ. The only kid books I liked growing up were mysteries. Oh well. 

• Love 10

My cold cruel heart warmed to Rachel a tad when she got the Kew Gardens answer. It is on my list for my next visit to London. Years and years ago, PBS had a miniseries (or maybe it was a documentary) on the Kew and I fell in love. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Teebax, look at you. Everyone is getting a face lift around here except me. And I could use a shave.

Or a good brushing.

If it helps my Eagles finally reach the promised land I'll keep it as my pic forever. 

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, teebax said:

If it helps my Eagles finally reach the promised land I'll keep it as my pic forever. 

I'd root for a team of Austins to beat the Patriots. Go Eagles!!

• Love 15

I felt disloyal not rooting for a fellow Jennifer, but really wanted Melissa to win. Jennifer did get better (ie calm down) as the game went on. Rachel's Southern accent was as painful as Tom Hanks' was in the movie. 

TS I got were The Mary Tyler Moore Show, wikileaks, Cuba, Westminster, amortization, usury (Jennifer's missed DD). Not sure how Cuba & wikileaks were TS. FJ was an instaget. 

On 1/26/2018 at 10:22 PM, Clanstarling said:

I told my husband I would never have shared the dirty feet story on national tv - but then again, there are lots of things I wouldn't actually share on tv that many people have. 

Me too. And that is what attracted her boyfriend to her? Ick!

21 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I don't understand why Rachael bet so much in Final Jeopardy she won games by being cautious.

Because she is so young & cutesy & girlish, that Children's Lit should have been an instaget for her. 

9 hours ago, dcalley said:

Rachel's originally from Carson City. I thought you all might like to know. http://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/5954043-151/six-and-out-for-bends-jeopardy-champion

Of course she is! I am surprised that she is only 26; she looks older than that to me.

3 hours ago, teebax said:

If it can't be the Saints, then "Go Eagles" 

• Love 5

Yes, Rachel was doing Forrest Gump. Unfortunately, that encouraged Trebek to do the same. So, for that I blame her. Amelia Bedelia was a pretty good guess for FJ if someone was grasping at straws. I thought FJ was asking for authors, so I was struggling to come up with one that fit the clue. It's double hard to come up with the right FJ answer when you don't listen to/read the clue correctly.

• Love 3
On 1/24/2018 at 11:28 PM, AuntieL said:

Rachel doesn't bother me (and when my hair was longer I had a nervous habit of playing with it so I sympathize). I'm just glad the guy on the end didn't win. He seemed almost angry a couple times when he was ruled incorrect. I thought he was going to jump over the podium. 

The pastor who always looked amazed with every wrong answer he gave (which was almost every answer he gave!) drove me nuts and I was glad he didn’t win. (Rachel didn’t bother me and Jennifer doesn’t much yet either.)

On 1/25/2018 at 2:44 AM, Mystery Author said:

I'm from the US and I didn't know she had any name except Martha Washington, except maybe Mrs. Washington.

I knew Custis... I’ll take that little victory, please, because:

On 1/26/2018 at 9:52 AM, GreekGeek said:

Rachel lucked out again by wagering zero in FJ. I agree that should have been an easy question and not a TS. Woody Allen long ago (back when he was associated with sophisticated humor and not sexual misconduct) did a hilarious spoof of Vincent Van Gogh's letters to his brother Theo titled "If the Impressionists had been Dentists."

Between this and the TS of Picasso the other day--it seems these contestants aren't very knowledgeable about art.

I’m usually screaming and cursing at the tv because overall contestants are horrible when it comes to the fine arts, any of them! It just infuriates me. That being said, I couldn’t get this for anything! I’m going to put it down to I’m sick. ?

And this was a while ago so probably irrelevant at this point, but I was catching up on the week this morning:  Gerard said Alex had Gallicized his name, i.e., “frenchified” it. Apparently he didn’t appreciate it. And Alex did French up Adrienne’s name as well - let it alone, old man, let it alone! I’m surprised Alex didn’t go 3-for-3 and pronounce Rachel’s name like that movie they were always going to see in Seinfeld: Rochelle, Rochelle! Also, in addition to Gerard’s slowness, Adrienne had this habit of leaning waaay over to her right when answering a question, then, as she was choosing the next question, lurching back over to the left like a pitcher going into a wind-up in slow-motion... The two of them were kind of excruciating for me!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yes, Rachel was doing Forrest Gump. Unfortunately, that encouraged Trebek to do the same. So, for that I blame her. Amelia Bedelia was a pretty good guess for FJ if someone was grasping at straws. I thought FJ was asking for authors, so I was struggling to come up with one that fit the clue. It's double hard to come up with the right FJ answer when you don't listen to/read the clue correctly.

To be fair to that weird accent (and Tom Hanks), he'd gotten it by mimicking the boy who played him as a young boy - who was native to that area and who had a unique pattern of speech.  So it's not like he couldn't do a typical southern accent, it's that he was doing a specific person's accent.

• Love 6
On 1/11/2018 at 10:40 AM, Wordsworth said:

Yeah, I had to laugh when Alex said that the contestants' inability to get higher numbers meant the questions are harder.  No, it just means the contestants are slower.  Good Lord, people, this is "Jeopardy!", not "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire".  You don't have all day to answer.

Yup.  The questions are certainly not any harder.  The betting is lousy.  They are leaving questions on the board almost every single game (both J and DJ).  There doesn't seem to be any coherent strategy going on. 

The questions, if anything, are easier.  

• Love 4

Yes, as I posted above, I know Rachel was doing Forrest-Gump speak, I sort of expected it since the question was about what FG's mom always said. My bug came from Trebek who, instead of saying, "Correct," and going on with the game had to draw attention to Rachel's mimicry, then do his own Forrest Gump imitation. As mme_ginger said, "let it alone, old man, let it alone." It was a time waster that put the spotlight back on Trebek. We can't always blame slow contestants for boards not being cleared when Trebek feels the need to "entertain" us.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yes, as I posted above, I know Rachel was doing Forrest-Gump speak, I sort of expected it since the question was about what FG's mom always said. My bug came from Trebek who, instead of saying, "Correct," and going on with the game had to draw attention to Rachel's mimicry, then do his own Forrest Gump imitation. As mme_ginger said, "let it alone, old man, let it alone." It was a time waster that put the spotlight back on Trebek. We can't always blame slow contestants for boards not being cleared when Trebek feels the need to "entertain" us.

Sorry I missed your point. Certainly agree on Trebeck.

• Love 2
On ‎01‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, GreekGeek said:

Wouldn't that be something like "Van Gucch" or "Van Gugg"? Not nearly as pretty as "Al-BERRR CamOOO."

The British say "Van Goff" - not saying that's right, but that's how I think of it now.

• Love 3

If you go to van Gogh's Wikipedia page and click on "listen" after the phonetic spelling of his name, you can hear someone who sounds legitimately Dutch (as opposed to all those impostor Dutchies lurking around) say the name.  The final gh is pronounced like the ch in "chutzpah," which sounds like nothing so much as a cat hocking up a hair ball. 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

The final gh is pronounced like the ch in "chutzpah," which sounds like nothing so much as a cat hocking up a hair ball. 

Or Klingons pronouncing "gagh".

• Love 6