Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I cycled up the east coast, briefly considering Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, and Virginia before hitting on Maryland.  I had it in time, but I would've been scribbling like crazy to finish writing it.

I'm a fan of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, and it was clear from Alex's woof that he is not.  That didn't stop him from saying the answer as though he knew it.  Tool.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Hee. I'm thinking of 'Cheyenne' as a woman's name back in the 18th century. How about Madison and Denver? 

I had a great-uncle named Denver, so it's really hard for me to see it as a woman's name. I did go to school with a girl named Dallas, though.

• Love 2

And don't forget SPRINGfield, Illinois. Named after the actress Spring Byington. (You youngters, look her up.)

Thinking more about this, what about North Carolina, capitol Columbia. That's a good guess anyway. Better than my Virginia/forgotCapitolName.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Nuts. I just looked up Worcestershire sauce and Wikipedia says "it is sometimes shortened to Worcester sauce."  Man, what is this world coming to. Still, that guy said "Worster sauce" so I still say he's wrong.

But that's how you say Worcester; you don't pronounce the ces part, it's just Wurster (or Wuhstuh in Boston, but I digress), not Wurchester.  Like Gloucester (which is pronounced Glouster, not Glouchester) and many other cities.  Since the name comes from Worcestershire in England, and the shire is often dropped, I can see why some shorten it to Worcester sauce.  I say the -shire, though - "Wurstersher sauce."

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And don't forget SPRINGfield, Illinois. Named after the actress Spring Byington. (You youngters, look her up.)

Thinking more about this, what about North Carolina, capitol Columbia. That's a good guess anyway. Better than my Virginia/forgotCapitolName.

I went with North Carolina (which turns out to be named for King Charles 1), because I thought Charlotte was the capital (turns out Raleigh is the capital). I never was good with state capitals.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Well, good thing I'm wearing the Dumb Ass University shirt. I meant SOUTH Carolina. Geesh.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Nuts. I just looked up Worcestershire sauce and Wikipedia says "it is sometimes shortened to Worcester sauce."  Man, what is this world coming to. Still, that guy said "Worster sauce" so I still say he's wrong. I suppose Worcester is verbally condensed like Louisville. Yeah, that must be it. Which makes it two Kevin Bacons away from the real name IMO.

Git off my lawn.

I always pronounce it like "Whuh's dis here sauce?"

• Love 8
On 4/14/2018 at 11:24 AM, Bastet said:

But that's how you say Worcester; you don't pronounce the ces part, it's just Wurster (or Wuhstuh in Boston, but I digress), not Wurchester.  Like Gloucester (which is pronounced Glouster, not Glouchester) and many other cities.  Since the name comes from Worcestershire in England, and the shire is often dropped, I can see why some shorten it to Worcester sauce.  I say the -shire, though - "Wurstersher sauce."

It is usually pronounced "Wustuh" in the UK.  And Gloucester is "Gloster" not "Glouster."  (As in Dr Foster went to Gloucester, etc, etc.)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Brookside said:

It is usually pronounced "Wustuh" in the UK.  And Gloucester is "Gloster" not Glouster."  (As in Dr Foster went to Gloucester, etc, etc.)

So this makes me wonder: If Worcestershire Sauce were a FJ answer, would players get credit for writing Wustuh Sauce?

Discuss!

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

So this makes me wonder: If Worcestershire Sauce were a FJ answer, would players get credit for writing Wustuh Sauce?

Discuss!

With this group of judges, quite possibly.

(Bonus discussion question: Does anything rhyme with Worcester?)

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Brookside said:

It is usually pronounced "Wustuh" in the UK.  And Gloucester is "Gloster" not Glouster." 

Yeah, I initially was not writing things phonetically, because I was just talking about how the "ces" portion of the words is not pronounced, so for some things I did and some I didn't, and I can see where that would muddy the waters.  So, again, the only point was that if Worcester sauce is an acceptable alternative to Worcestershire sauce, then the "Worster sauce" answer being complained about is fine; the criticism was that he left off the "ces" portion of the word when pronouncing it, but that's correct. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I say Wooster sauce because that’s how Clarissa and Jennifer (both RIP)from Two Fat Ladies cooking show pronounced it and they were British.  So there!  LOL

Nigella Lawson also. I was thinking about Clarissa & Jennifer yesterday; what a hoot hey were! 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Well, good thing I'm wearing the Dumb Ass University shirt. I meant SOUTH Carolina. Geesh.

I'll take that off your shoulders - as I should have known what you meant because I have close family in Columbia, and have visited them there (not to mention writing "Columbia, South Carolina" on all those Christmas cards)

15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I always pronounce it like "Whuh's dis here sauce?"

I love it - said it out loud a few times and it works, by golly, it works!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Bliss said:
17 hours ago, Brookside said:

(Bonus discussion question: Does anything rhyme with Worcester?)

Booster?

Rooster!

(Canuck chuckle...)

"When she bent over, he gooster." (No harassment intended.)

• Love 5

How can you not know who Elizabeth Bennett is??  Sigh.  Kids today.

I had a total brain shutdown on that FJ.    First I thought it was North Carolina totally forgetting that Charlotte is not the capital.  Then I thought maybe Virginia and could not remember the capital even though I LIVE IN VA. And, then when I saw the answer Maryland my first reaction was, please, everyone knows that Baltimore is named after Lord Baltimore.  I don't know what happened but I totally just lost all capacity to think during that brief time. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 6
On ‎04‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, Browncoat said:

Wyoming was an odd choice for FJ.  Virginia was only marginally less odd,

Virginia is at least a woman's name, and it's name for Queen Elizabeth I.  I knew the answer (Maryland born & bred), but I'll confess that it took a moment, and Helena, Montana did cross my mind first, although obviously Montana was not named for a woman.

• Love 2
On ‎04‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, ClareWalks said:

Word. Didn't last year's college tourney give us the brilliance of Lilly? Granted she was slightly controversial but at least she was friggin' SMART, unlike this week's lot generally.

Yes, for all that her personality annoyed for some now-forgotten reason, I'd never have questioned her intelligence based on her performance.  Some of this crop, though, oy!

• Love 3
On ‎04‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, saber5055 said:

I swear that the boy player said "Worster Sauce" for what Lea & Perrins invention is added to Chex Mix. It's Worcestershire sauce.

I expected them to come back from commercial having deducted money from him, because that's what I heard as well.  "Wooster sauce" instead of "Woostersheer sauce" (phonetically speaking)

• Love 3
On ‎04‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, teebax said:

I don't know about lost generation since everyone always says that about the next generation and they do just fine, but the idea that her friends love her picture taking reminds me I'm definitely middle aged. I think of people who always wanted to show you their vacation slides. No one wants to see your pictures! 

I never mind looking at a few pictures, but yeah, dozens are too many to be showing people, let alone thousands.

On ‎04‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:37 PM, peeayebee said:

I also hate when Alex says, "No, it was the other one," but in this case, I'm... kinda in agreement. I said Taylor Swift, somehow thinking she had an album titled with her age. I was probably vaguely thinking of her album 1989.

That's what made me say Taylor Swift. 

On ‎04‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:42 PM, Pallida said:

I’m thinking Patricia went through state capitals and as Cheyenne is used as a woman’s name, she went with Wyoming. 

My brain went from Virginia to Virgin Mary to Maryland. I think it was being generous and skipped that the Virgin Queen wasn’t Mary. 

Maryland was named for Henrietta Maria, wife of Charles I, the king who gave the land grant to the Calvert family, but hey, your process got the right answer anyway.

On ‎04‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:07 PM, Kathira said:

Weirdly, I always remember nolo contendere because that was what Spiro Agnew pleaded when he was charged with tax evasion. I was a young teen when that happened, but somehow the term just stuck in my head.

Fascinating.  I remember him resigning because of the tax charges, but not how he pleaded.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I never mind looking at a few pictures, but yeah, dozens are too many to be showing people, let alone thousands.

My issue isn't so much with showing other people your 40,000 photos a year.  It's with taking them in the first place.  When do you get a chance to actually experience your life if you're constantly buffering yourself from it through the lens of your phone?  It scares me to see all these kids never looking up at the world.  I guess that's how they all wandered onto my lawn.

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

When do you get a chance to actually experience your life if you're constantly buffering yourself from it through the lens of your phone?  It scares me to see all these kids never looking up at the world.  I guess that's how they all wandered onto my lawn.

This might (partly) explain the extreme tanking of the majority of these cream-of-the-college crop of kids this tournament.

• Love 8

capitol.  CapitAl?

I actually have a chart at my desk because this comes up quite a bit in my job and I can never remember.  Capital is city/town and money.  Capitol is building and Capitol Hill. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Capital is city/town and money.  Capitol is building and Capitol Hill. 

So: Springfield is the capital of Illinois, and all its capital from taxes is stored in the capitol building.

Here is something for all you Triumph The Comic Insult Dog fans:

200.gif

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 8

I believe that if the category is "Letter Men", you should have to give the initials! What's with "Lewis" being acceptable? They should have needed to say "CS Lewis", "JD Salinger", "TS Eliot". 

• Love 23
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

I believe that if the category is "Letter Men", you should have to give the initials! What's with "Lewis" being acceptable? They should have needed to say "CS Lewis", "JD Salinger", "TS Eliot". 

I said the same thing! I think TS Eliot was the only one they fully said.

Now today's game was a good one! High scores, smart betting. I liked Rebecca last week but I was getting an Amy Santiago vibe from her today. And I bet she felt bad when she guessed one twin gave up HIS HEART for a transplant to the other twin.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Whole point of the category

Only thing that bugged me tonight.  Well the FJ was a bit too easy as well.  What a close game!  $40K and you lose

• Love 5
16 hours ago, illdoc said:

Yes, what was up with that. So irritating, but not surprising these days. Surprised they let T.S. Eliot get in since his initial were included.

15 hours ago, SHD said:

And I bet she felt bad when she guessed one twin gave up HIS HEART for a transplant to the other twin.

I did a literal LOL at that. Even better, she guessed the twin gave up ONE of his hearts for a transplant. Made it even funnier. Well, I guess if the guy was an alien or something it could have worked.

Trebek irritated me (I know, surprise) by putting an over-emphasized burr on the end of "country," like a video of men in kilts playing bagpipes wasn't enough to tell players the answer was Scotland. I hate when he does that.

Surprise miss was protocol from HTTP. I guess I'm on the computer too much.

William did a great job, and I thought this game was pretty good. As the buzzer jerking proved, it all comes down to who is the fastest on that apparatus. I watched a video from Lilly Chen where she gave some buzz-in tips as some of the college kids were having problems with that. Are there no toiler-paper-roll holders in dorms?

Edited by saber5055
A bagpipe is not a fife.
  • Love 6
46 minutes ago, SHD said:

I bet she felt bad when she guessed one twin gave up HIS HEART for a transplant to the other twin.

I watched today just to root for her, but I cringed at that one. I remember thinking, it's probably a kidney and definitely not a heart.

• Love 11

I'm sorry Rebecca didn't win.  But, no, honey, they don't accept donations of hearts from living donors.  William bugged me going on and on about how he "builds computers" when he actually codes software.  And he didn't know the "p" in https was protocol?  Jordan, that's what you get for starting on the bottom.

Speaking of which, they were pretty consistently starting at the top.  It's as if someone told them that was the best strategy.  Then Jordan started at the bottom in DJ and the other two started in the middle.  Kids!

I, too, was extremely annoyed that they didn't require the initials in the Letter Men category.  I thought that was the whole point?

I got protocol, Berlin, and Howard Dean.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, opus said:

That Disney movie category may as well have been written in Klingon for all I knew.

I knew High School Musical and that was about it. 

2 hours ago, illdoc said:

I was waiting for a BMS on those, but Trebek never said that you needed to give the initials. I do agree that those should have been included in the response.  

24 minutes ago, teebax said:

I watched today just to root for her, but I cringed at that one. I remember thinking, it's probably a kidney and definitely not a heart.

She's going to regret that for a long time along with not wagering more on the correct DD. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 8

This was mostly background noise for me, so I missed a lot of specifics.  It was my first night tuning it at all to the tournament.  As a civil rights attorney, I rooted for Jordan.  Rebecca was impressive, though – with the glaring exception of answering heart for an organ donated to one’s twin; she's not going to live that one down for a while.  William, eh; I’m a bit bummed to see him be the one of the three to move on.

3 hours ago, illdoc said:

I'm even pickier - any time there's a category like tonight's heteronyms category, I think one shouldn't be credited with a correct answer unless one gives the two pronunciations in the same order as the definitions listed in the clue.

• Love 7

I think the second after she said "heart", she realized she'd made a mistake. You could see her almost slap her forehead.

I'm glad others here were bugged that the initials were not required in "Letter Men." 

I got Howard Dean (before their time) and Spike Lee (also before their time?). BTW, it sounded funny to me when Alex said "She's Gotta Have IT," emphasis on 'it'. I always simply say, "She's Gotta Have It."

It didn't take me too long to come up with Achilles, but it wasn't quite an instaget.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm even pickier - any time there's a category like tonight's heteronyms category, I think one shouldn't be credited with a correct answer unless one gives the two pronunciations in the same order as the definitions listed in the clue.

I'm hiring you as head Jeopardy judge. I'm right there with you on this. These slacker judges have got to go!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I actually have a chart at my desk because this comes up quite a bit in my job and I can never remember.  Capital is city/town and money.  Capitol is building and Capitol Hill. 

Capitol is "top" of the Hill. Capital is "tax". Sometimes I can remember the mnemonics!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, illdoc said:

Agree x1000!! That was bugging me.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Howard Dean.

I'm only 33 and the fact that they didn't get this made me feel incredibly old.

Was surprised Rebecca lost but that awful heart answer lost her the lead and I didn't feel as bad. 

• Love 6

Rebecca seems to have been playing just fine until I tuned in tonight - hope I didn't jinx her. She's a very strong player but that kid from Tufts was a beast.

For TS I got protocol, Berlin, Howard Dean and Spike Lee.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

BTW, it sounded funny to me when Alex said "She's Gotta Have IT," emphasis on 'it'. I always simply say, "She's Gotta Have It."

Alex is so weird sometimes. You definitely say it the way Spike and people who've actually seen the film (i.e. not Alex) do.

I had no clue on FJ. I loved Greek mythology in high school but have lost most memory of the details. On top of that I think Thetis was the goddess in Clash of the Titans with the cursed son (Calibos?) who was trying to break up Perseus and Andromeda, so I made the very poor guess of Calibos(sp?). Oh how the mind can wander...

• Love 3
13 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I expected them to come back from commercial having deducted money from him, because that's what I heard as well.  "Wooster sauce" instead of "Woostersheer sauce" (phonetically speaking)

But that’s how you pronounce  Worcestershire: “Wooster.”

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 1