Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Trey said:

No idea on FJ but as soon as they revealed the correct answer of Lake Nicaragua it sounded right to me.

The right FJ answer always seems correct to me too, once it's revealed. It's before it's revealed that's the problem area.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The right FJ answer always seems correct to me too, once it's revealed. It's before it's revealed that's the problem area.

LOL, That's true, but sometimes they reveal the correct answer and it's still Greek to me.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I said beaner, like bean ball?

A reasonable deduction.  When a pitcher purposely throws at a batter, that's bean ball.  When a batter hits a shot right at the pitcher, that's a comebacker.  I still play baseball in an old man  league, and I pitch.  I've never thrown a bean ball, but I've definitely had comebackers hit at me.  Luckily, my reflexes are still "good" (defined as stabbing my glove in the direction of the ball so that it does not directly hit me).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

When a batter hits a shot right at the pitcher, that's a comebacker.

I love baseball, White Sox as a kid in school, now Cubs. Comebacker is a new term for me but I will listen for it from now on. They are always exciting when one gets hit. Good on you, GenX, for not getting BEANED by any COMEBACKER balls!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

They are always exciting when one gets hit.

Not always. A comebacker can also be a weak ground ball back to the pitcher.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, opus said:

Not always. A comebacker can also be a weak ground ball back to the pitcher.

It's always exciting when a ball is hit back to you in an old man game!  Yeah, it could be weakly hit, but it should be hit hard enough to get to the pitcher without charging it.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Tunia said:

WhoooHooo...on Saturday's rerun, a true Kit Carson moment - "for whom the capital of Nevada was named".

OMGosh! That was THE beginning of The Legend Of Kit Carson in this thread! Can you BMS, please?

• Love 6
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

LOL. Me three. (Me too is taken.) This made me laugh out loud.

I realized one day that my brain is in segments:

1. I know what I know. Those are the ones I yell out before Alex has finished reading the answer... and I can't believe when none of the contestants know the answer... like a math question (bit of a geek) ... gives me a false sense of wisdom - until...

2. I don't know what I don't know. (and I apologize in advance, I don't care much... I figure if I'm meant to know something, it'll have crossed my path. There's often lots of these, especially with obscure/ancient government/history or the one-hit-wonder from entertainmentland - just not my wheelhouse - and almost as often, I don't care whether I remember the new info... I'm more of a logical thinker rather than a memorizer of facts I can look up if necessary... and the sweet moment happens when some new fact spurs me to research or google to learn... learning is a fun part of life!)

3. I know what I don't know. (e.g., obscure artists, musicians or movies, the year so-and-so did whatever - my brain is already overloaded with stuff... and I'm into minimalizing, reducing clutter these days... see #2 for the sweet moment )

4. I don't know what I know. This is the most frustrating and includes the ones you might be able to read on the end of my tongue... and when revealed, I have a "yeah, I know/knew/used to know that" thought.

Summary: it surprises me how many categories I can run - and it ticks me off when it's one of my faves and they run out of time. It doesn't surprise me when I draw a blank(s).

Getting older is a genuine excuse for me for memory loss. However, I spend about 10 - 15 minutes a day doing quizzes to keep my RAM oiled. Sites like Jetpunk have some great mind aspirin. JMO

• Love 12
(edited)
10 hours ago, Bliss said:

LOL. Me three. (Me too is taken.) This made me laugh out loud.

I realized one day that my brain is in segments:

1. I know what I know. Those are the ones I yell out before Alex has finished reading the answer... and I can't believe when none of the contestants know the answer... like a math question (bit of a geek) ... gives me a false sense of wisdom - until...

2. I don't know what I don't know. (and I apologize in advance, I don't care much... I figure if I'm meant to know something, it'll have crossed my path. There's often lots of these, especially with obscure/ancient government/history or the one-hit-wonder from entertainmentland - just not my wheelhouse - and almost as often, I don't care whether I remember the new info... I'm more of a logical thinker rather than a memorizer of facts I can look up if necessary... and the sweet moment happens when some new fact spurs me to research or google to learn... learning is a fun part of life!)

3. I know what I don't know. (e.g., obscure artists, musicians or movies, the year so-and-so did whatever - my brain is already overloaded with stuff... and I'm into minimalizing, reducing clutter these days... see #2 for the sweet moment )

4. I don't know what I know. This is the most frustrating and includes the ones you might be able to read on the end of my tongue... and when revealed, I have a "yeah, I know/knew/used to know that" thought.

Summary: it surprises me how many categories I can run - and it ticks me off when it's one of my faves and they run out of time. It doesn't surprise me when I draw a blank(s).

Getting older is a genuine excuse for me for memory loss. However, I spend about 10 - 15 minutes a day doing quizzes to keep my RAM oiled. Sites like Jetpunk have some great mind aspirin. JMO

Great deconstruction of a Jeopardy watcher's mind pattern. Though the specific strengths are different, that's pretty much me.

I'd add 4a - Don't know what I know - These are the answers, in my weak categories, that spring from my lips unbidden from some dark recess of my mind and are actually right. Where did I learn that? I don't know, can't remember.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 9

Head's up to Chicago Jeopardy fans.....Chicago Cubs home opener starts at 1pm on Monday on Ch. 7, so unless it gets rained/snowed out, Jeopardy won't be on at its regular time (probably shown at 1 or 2 am, so check your listings and set your DVR).

• Love 1
On 4/7/2018 at 10:25 AM, GenerationX said:

A reasonable deduction.  When a pitcher purposely throws at a batter, that's bean ball.  When a batter hits a shot right at the pitcher, that's a comebacker. 

I must not have been paying attention, because I thought the clue was about the pitch, not the hit. Thanks for the clarification.

• Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

OMGosh! That was THE beginning of The Legend Of Kit Carson in this thread! Can you BMS, please?

LOL - Sadly, I find that this clue wasn't the beginning of the Kit Carson odyssey*, merely another in the series, BUT it did include a picture of our lovable hero. 

2016-10-28_DJ_24.jpg

Looking it up, it was the $800 DJ clue in the category "HISTORY: HIRED & FIRED" from October 28, 2016, Season 33, Episode #7390, shown here:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5446

"You found paths for the pathfinder John C. Fremont. You're hired! & we'll name Nevada's capital for you"

*When I checked the PTV forum for that date, the KC legend was already in progress.

That's about as "S" as I can be!

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Tunia said:

LOL - Sadly, I find that this clue wasn't the beginning of the Kit Carson odyssey*, merely another in the series, BUT it did include a picture of our lovable hero. 

2016-10-28_DJ_24.jpg

Looking it up, it was the $800 DJ clue in the category "HISTORY: HIRED & FIRED" from October 28, 2016, Season 33, Episode #7390, shown here:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5446

"You found paths for the pathfinder John C. Fremont. You're hired! & we'll name Nevada's capital for you"

*When I checked the PTV forum for that date, the KC legend was already in progress.

That's about as "S" as I can be!

Gold stars for dedication and determination. Thanks for tracking that down!

• Love 3
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

All credit (or blame) to @GreekGeek for creating a monster.

Gold star also goes to GreekGeek for establishing a thread tradition. And Mondianyone for revealing THE TRUTH! (It was out there the whole time.)

22 hours ago, Tunia said:

WhoooHooo...on Saturday's rerun, a true Kit Carson moment - "for whom the capital of Nevada was named".

1 hour ago, Tunia said:

Great hunting, Tunia. I just remembered it was about naming the capital of Nevada. Who knew Jeopardy keeps using that clue/answer? (I watch as a bunch of you raise your hands.)

I have to admit, I would never recognize Kit, from that photo or any other it seems.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

Because this sort of mystery feels like it needs solving, I delved a bit.  I think it began here

All credit (or blame) to @GreekGeek for creating a monster.

@MONDRIANYONE, thank you! I can’t believe I was the first to comment (on these boards, anyhow) on that infamous ruling!

• Love 8
(edited)

^^^Oh darn, as I followed the link above, I accidently removed my original "like" when checking for its date and had to renew it.  I'm really not three years late to the party!

At least we've placed the blame given the rightful accolades to the culprit the proper originator of this continuing saga!  Hail, GreekGeek!

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 9
20 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

@MONDRIANYONE, thank you! I can’t believe I was the first to comment (on these boards, anyhow) on that infamous ruling!

You're welcome.  And now you may ascend to the lofty heights of the meme creators.  I don't know if there are swords or crowns involved--can someone else help with that?

44 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

And Mondianyone for revealing THE TRUTH! (It was out there the whole time.)

Maybe I should change my screen name to Mulderanyone.  (I'd rather be Scully, but that doesn't work as well.)

• Love 8

Attention Chicago Jeopardy viewers....Today's Cubs opener has been postponed until tomorrow, so today's (Monday's) Jeopardy should be on at its usual time; it's tomorrow's which will probably be preempted  (I assume since the game was scheduled to be on Ch. 7 today it will be on Ch 7 tomorrow, but I could be wrong).

• Love 2
23 hours ago, illdoc said:

Head's up to Chicago Jeopardy fans.....Chicago Cubs home opener starts at 1pm on Monday on Ch. 7, so unless it gets rained/snowed out, Jeopardy won't be on at its regular time (probably shown at 1 or 2 am, so check your listings and set your DVR).

Given the fact that it was snowing this morning in beautiful west of Chicago, the game probably will get delayed.

• Love 2
On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 1:23 AM, Toothbrush said:

Do you know what they used? I am looking very raccoon-like these days. 

Unfortunately I didn't have the presence of mind to ask.  And kick myself every day as a result.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Unfortunately I didn't have the presence of mind to ask.  And kick myself every day as a result.

Stop kicking yourself! You can buy a whole tub of the stuff at Walmart for only $3.97. Works great.

spackle.jpg

18 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Maybe I should change my screen name to Mulderanyone.  (I'd rather be Scully, but that doesn't work as well.)

Your avatar pup DOES have Scully-colored hair, so there's that.

• Love 3

I can't say I'm terribly impressed with this first batch of college players.  Sheldon was simply annoying, and oy, all the goofy guesses by everyone!  Granted, there were a lot of TS I didn't know in the first round, but still -- don't ring in if you're totally clueless!  I did get Plymouth Rock, Hiroshima, alb, and the missed DD of esprit de corps.

FJ was an instaget, and I'm a bit surprised that two of them missed it, even if it was before their time. 

Also -- alliteration!  Drink!

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I can't say I'm terribly impressed with this first batch of college players.  Sheldon was simply annoying, and oy, all the goofy guesses by everyone!  Granted, there were a lot of TS I didn't know in the first round, but still -- don't ring in if you're totally clueless!  I did get Plymouth Rock, Hiroshima, alb, and the missed DD of esprit de corps.

FJ was an instaget, and I'm a bit surprised that two of them missed it, even if it was before their time. 

Also -- alliteration!  Drink!

One of them selected a president from the 19th century, but she had a runaway so probably wasn't paying that much attention to the clue. I wasn't impressed either. However, Jeopardy has gotten easier for me with age, and I don't know how many of those I'd have known in my late teens to early 20s.

I don't think I'm going to write down my gets throughout this tournament because I assume I'll have a lot, but since I was in my office when I watched this episode, I did write them down today. Mine were Plymouth Rock, flatbread, RBI, Rolaids, blown save, Atlanta Braves (boo!!!!), Jerusalem, St Paul, Pulsar (I remember the Nissan Pulsar fondly; my brother had one and I thought it was cool), aplomb, alb, Army Corps of Engineers, esprit de corps, and LBJ in an instaget.

Teddy Roosevelt wasn't a terrible guess, but McKinley was assassinated shortly after being elected a second time. At least Sheldon picked someone who took over for someone else.

• Love 10

Sheldon went from a possible wildcard spot to third. Josie would have needed both of them to pull a Clavin to make it to the next round. So much for continuing Stanford's legacy.  

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was an instaget for me too (November 1963 - January 1965). Before my time, but I knew it. Grover Cleveland wasn't even President in the 20th century. Fortunately, Hannah had a substantial lead and didn't wager much. 

4 minutes ago, teebax said:

Mine were Plymouth Rock, flatbread, RBI, Rolaids, blown save, Atlanta Braves (boo!!!!), Jerusalem, St Paul, Pulsar (I remember the Nissan Pulsar fondly; my brother had one and I thought it was cool), aplomb, alb, Army Corps of Engineers, esprit de corps, and LBJ in an instaget.

Got all those and while I never had the car, my watch is a Pulsar. 

• Love 6

I'm just glad that Sheldon, the Julie Cruise Director of his dorm, came in last.

I think I'll take a vacation from writing down my TS, too.  There's just so many.  Not that I'm a genius or anything, but Plymouth Rock?  And that was before my time.

FJ was an instaget.  

• Love 18

I couldn't tell the difference between this College Tournament game and a regular one. We've seen players stand mute or answer stupidly before and will again, I am sure. I got bored writing the TSs down.

Anyone who watches The Bachelor/B-ette knows those tops are cold shoulder tops. What's up with college girls not knowing that? Yeah, they're also "open shoulder," but cold shoulder is so much ... cooler. Heh. I guess the judges were okay with them being called pretty much anything since that player got to answer twice after waffling around for what seemed minutes.

Trebek during interviews: "Good for you."

Me: Drink!

FJ was such an instaget. What, they don't teach 20th century American history in school these days? You'd think maybe their parents -- or GRANDPARENTS -- might have mentioned LBJ to them. That was a turbulent time. For OLD people anyway.

3 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Plymouth Rock?  And that was before my time.

LOL! Good one.

• Love 11

I'm sorry Sheldon turned out to be such a loser. RIT is in my town so I feel a little responsible for him. Since he was originally from Buffalo, I would have been even more disappointed if he hadn't gotten Niagara Falls.

I got Plymouth Rock, Hiroshima, Jerusalem, Paul, Pulsar, alb, esprit de corps and the FJ of Lyndon Johnson. I hope it's not going to be like this all week.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Anyone who watches The Bachelor/B-ette knows those tops are cold shoulder tops. What's up with college girls not knowing that? Yeah, they're also "open shoulder," but cold shoulder is so much ... cooler. Heh. I guess the judges were okay with them being called pretty much anything since that player got to answer twice after waffling around for what seemed minutes.

Not to mention that "Brrrr!" was in the clue.  I hate those tops, but I do know what they're called.

There's been a lot of that multiple-guessing business going on lately.  And Alex doesn't shut it down.  So whatever you blurt out before he gets around to calling time is apparently okay these days.  Why, in my day . . .

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I'm sorry Sheldon turned out to be such a loser. RIT is in my town so I feel a little responsible for him. Since he was originally from Buffalo, I would have been even more disappointed if he hadn't gotten Niagara Falls.

I got Plymouth Rock, Hiroshima, Jerusalem, Paul, Pulsar, alb, esprit de corps and the FJ of Lyndon Johnson. I hope it's not going to be like this all week.

I was surprised there wasn't any coverage of the presence of an RIT student in the Rochester local news, so I did a little looking around.  The only article I found (in admittedly not that thorough of a search) has a spoiler in the article title.

RIT Student Finishes Third Jeopardy

• Love 2

Just not very good players.  Wow.  So many easy misses.

Grover Cleveland?  I thought FJ was pretty easy as long as you knew kennedy was shot in Nov of 1963, which I assume most people know.  I briefly thought about Ford but he never won an election, only too the oath once.  YOu had like five to choose from based on the category.  LBJ, Ford, Truman, Teddy Roosevelt and Calvin Coolidge, the one everyone would forget but would have been a close guess if you did think of him.  He took over in August of 1923 and then won in 1924, took the oath in 1925.  Ford never won an election, Truman and Teddy Roosevelt took over earlier for their predecessors. 

Those baseball questions......painful to watch. 

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, opus said:

That BS clue was risky. When a pitcher blows a save we've been known to yell out a different BS word.

I'm totally with you on that. I call BS on that clue and its answer.

59 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

The only article I found (in admittedly not that thorough of a search) has a spoiler in the article title.

RIT Student Finishes Third Jeopardy

Ouch, talk about a bummer of a headline. Go ahead and kick the poor guy while he's down. LOSER.

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Ouch, talk about a bummer of a headline. Go ahead and kick the poor guy while he's down. LOSER.

Oh, that's not all. That article also says: "But he's not out of the tournament just yet. He still has a chance to advance if he ends up being one of the four highest-scoring non-winners."

Reminds me of the scene in Dumb and Dumber where Mary tells Lloyd that the odds of the two of them getting together were "one in a million" and Lloyd said "So, you're telling me there's a chance?"

While that's technically true, he realistically has no chance. If Sheldon got in, Josie would have also had to make it. While strange things have happened on Jeopardy!, I can't imagine two wildcard spots with scores lower than $5000. Had Sheldon not bet anything, his $11,200 might have made it though. 

• Love 6

I can't say I'm terribly impressed with this first batch of college players. 

Argh. I was going to say shit, but it's not nice to swear. The only category they could run was Harry Potter (Rolling)!

Except for the fact that he was 19th-century (second argh), Cleveland wasn't a bad guess. He was president twice, except it wasn't consecutive (1885–89 and 1893–97).

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

For me too. I was astonished it wasn't for my husband, who is basically an encyclopedia of presidents. I'm a bit younger than him, but we both were alive and aware at the time. He did come around to it though.

12 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I'm just glad that Sheldon, the Julie Cruise Director of his dorm, came in last.

Aw, I kind of liked him.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Not to mention that "Brrrr!" was in the clue.  I hate those tops, but I do know what they're called.

I didn't, so I guess I learned something from College Jeopardy.  That, and the fact that these three were lousy contestants.

12 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I thought FJ was pretty easy as long as you knew kennedy was shot in Nov of 1963, which I assume most people know.  I briefly thought about Ford but he never won an election, only too the oath once.

Me, too.  I said "LBJ", then thought, "wait, maybe Ford, no, he lost his bid for re-election, LBJ it is".  Even though that was before my time.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't watch those so I guessed "peek-a-boo" top. Google images shows some but not all pictures of "cold shoulder" tops when I google "peek a boo" top. Fewer than either "open shoulder" or "cold shoulder" tops so I would probably get it wrong.

I'm not sure I can stomach the entire College Championship. I'll probably have to skip some. Boo hiss.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't, so I guess I learned something from College Jeopardy.  That, and the fact that these three were lousy contestants.

Me, too.  I said "LBJ", then thought, "wait, maybe Ford, no, he lost his bid for re-election, LBJ it is".  Even though that was before my time.

Ford never entered my mind, if he had, it might have given me pause too.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, deemac said:

I was so unimpressed that when I came to this forum today I couldn't recall any of the players till I read a few posts.

For me, they were Stanford girl, guy in the middle, girl who won, that's how impressed I wasn't.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

The reason I knew the answer Esprit de Corp was because a barn mate named her horse that. It fit the gelding. He was always a touch out of control. 

And I thought Joie de Vivre because I knew a dog named that. That name fit the dog but not the category. At least your horse was correct, Mindthinkr!

4 minutes ago, deemac said:

I was so unimpressed that when I came to this forum today I couldn't recall any of the players till I read a few posts.

I didn't know who the "Sheldon" was other posters were commenting on, until I went to Ailianna's link about him being The Biggest Loser on yesterday's game, and there was a photo. Pictures always help.

• Love 3

I couldn't believe that the kid in the middle kept going back to the "Saves" category when it was apparent that none of them knew anything about baseball.  I really don't think he ever understood the gist of the category!  Of course, this baseball fan was glad to have all the clues uncovered so I could run the easy (for me, at least) category.

Boy, I hope tonight's contestants are better than last night's bunch!

• Love 7