Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Okay, Emily can go now.  If she would open her mouth and speak up, she wouldn't bug me so much, but I can't understand half of what she says.  I was rooting for the guy, at least partly because he's from West Virginia and guessed Mountain Dew for that one clue.  Stupid guess, but it's kind of the state beverage.  And nope, I'm not from West Virginia, but it's not too far away!

I had a bad night tonight -- hardly got any TS.  Just Champagne, and the Carpenters, I think.  Too bad I didn't have any Champagne to drink for the Alex Trebek drinking game -- the Carpenters were before those contestants' time! 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Mr. Grey was born in 1893 in, interestingly, Zanesville, Ohio. His real first name was Pearl. No kidding: Pearl Zane Grey. He died in 1939. Louis L'amour was born in 1908, died 1988 in LA. Zane looked more the city guy while Louis was all cowboy, big, rough and tough looking. An interesting fact is that Louis also wrote poetry and science fiction. "And now you know."

What a surprise that Zane didn't want to be known as Pearl Grey.

• Love 6

Yes, Jeopardy players... enunciate! I thought Tyler was pretty mush-mouthed as well today, like it's a condition that's catching. I'm kind of surprised that Alex isn't constantly asking, "Say again, please?" His 77-year-old ears must be pretty good.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Okay, Emily can go now.  If she would open her mouth and speak up, she wouldn't bug me so much, but I can't understand half of what she says. 

Co-sign!  One of today's answers was "democracy" and from Emily's constricted lips comes"de-ka-cee".  I swear.  Did a bug fly into her mouth when she was a child or something?

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

Co-sign!  One of today's answers was "democracy" and from Emily's constricted lips comes"de-ka-cee".  I swear.  Did a bug fly into her mouth when she was a child or something?

I understand everything she said, as I am lucky enough to be fluent in mush-mouth. My next oldest sister is a notorious mumbler and fast-talker! So I've heard it my entire life.

I was yelling The Sun Also Rises at the TV, but she Emily didn't hear me. When Alex revealed the answer, it looked like she wasn't even familiar with it. Is it just me? I loved that category.

• Love 7

For the love of all things holy!  Someone please beat Emily!  She acted bored out of her mind tonight.  I was rooting for Jen mainly because she kept giving Milquetoast Emily the stinkeye.

I got Prague, Nixon, The Carpenters, Cheech and Chong (now I have both of those songs in my head), elder care, Roman Empire, and Montana.

FJ was an instaget.  I helps that I live in the Centennial State.  

• Love 11

I liked Emily's interview and think she's just really serious when she plays. She's probably fun to hang out with. Jen looked like Katie Holmes to me. I liked all three contestants today. 

I always love a baseball category and was shocked Alex didn't mention how two women did so well in a sports category. He did give us a too young to remember comment, just as they started the ancient history category. He's such a tool. 

I was surprised both boards got clear with all those TS's. My gets were two and two together, international relations, Raymond Carver (a personal favorite), iron curtain DD, Nixon, Jolt (Mountain Dew was a strange guess), champagne, The Carpenters, Cheech & Chong, elder care, Indian Ocean, Roman Empire, and final just based on Colorado's nickname and the time frame of Grant's presidency. 

Off topic: I can't say Utes without saying "two Utes" ala My Cousin Vinny. 

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, Fex said:

Emily didn't hear me. When Alex revealed the answer, it looked like she wasn't even familiar with it. Is it just me?

I don't know how she keeps winning.  She acts like she's unfamiliar with a lot of her answers and is just guessing - like with FJ.

• Love 9

I got R. Crumb, which I hope they would have given me rather than his whole name. He always signed his work R. Crumb and I think his real first name isn't that well known. Also Iron Curtain, Nixon, Jolt, Champagne, the Carpenters, elder care, the Indian Ocean and the Roman Empire. There were a lots of TS's today! Totally blanked on Colorado. I guessed Florida, which I figured was wrong, but couldn't come up with anything else other than maybe California.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I was rooting for the guy, at least partly because he's from West Virginia and guessed Mountain Dew for that one clue.  Stupid guess, but it's kind of the state beverage.

Mt. Dew wasn't a stupid guess IMO since that's what I thought too, even though it didn't fully fit the clue. Jolt cola was a big deal maybe 20 years ago, but try to find one now, and good luck on that. You might in some 24/7 truck stop on an interstate, but a regular store? No way. I know because it used to be a staple when I drove all night. These days Mt. Dew is the preferred drink of people who work long hours and drive late at night.

34 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

the Carpenters were before those contestants' time! 

DRINK! *burp*

Cheech and Chong must have been out of Trebek's wheelhouse since they were in the same 70/80s decades as the Carpenters. I admit, that clue got me singing "Basketball Jones" and it's still ear worming me. I saw C+C in concert and have all their albums. Basketball Jones was one of my (demented) favorites.

I think Emily is pretty overwhelmed with consistently winning, the stupid FJ bets and Trebek emphasizing she's THE ONLY PLAYER THIS WEEK TO WIN MORE THAN ONE GAME! So I cut her some slack. At least she isn't flipping her hair and looking up out of tipped head. I guess I understand Mumble Speak too since I haven't noticed her doing that. I also can read really poor handwriting so it must be some double gene I carry.

I got Nixon easily, but I was so disgusted that I kept yelling NEVADA! when the answer was Montana, the state I love most of all 50 states combined. I'm such a loser.

6 minutes ago, teebax said:

Or like you live in Chicago, especially on the Nort side.

2 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I got R. Crumb, which I hope they would have given me rather than his whole name.

He's R. Crumb to me, too. His "Just Passing Thru" Mr. Fred Natural was the symbol of my "happier days" youth. (Or UTE.)

I'm back to tanking on FJ. Not a surprise.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I don't know how she keeps winning.  She acts like she's unfamiliar with a lot of her answers and is just guessing - like with FJ.

one thing that helping her win is she knows how to wager in Final Jeopardy unlike a few we had this week. 

• Love 10

Yeah, even if she got FJ wrong, she would have beaten him by a dollar.

I first heard of Zane Grey on MASH-Colonel Potter was a big fan.

Today’s TS: Prague, Iron Curtain, Nixon, Ulster, The Carpenters, the Indian Ocean, and Cheech & Chong (Claaaass, claaaaaaaass, SHUUUUUT UUUUUPPP!!). Completely whiffed FJ.

• Love 7

I can't believe none of them knew the Richard Nixon quote!  (At least Alex didn't say it was before their time, but of course he couldn't help himself when they also were stumped by The Carpenters.)  The champagne and elder/senior TS surprised me, too.

I like that it was the two women who ran the baseball category.

I love word puzzle categories!  I ran that one.

I lucked into Colorado for FJ just like Emily did; I figured it was one of the states in that area of the country, and randomly picked that one as my guess.

• Love 5

I was rooting for Jen. In the beginning she was my idea of the perfect contestant - efficient, not over the top but not dull, abbreviated category names, & knew her shit (although she started her interview with so..). But she got frustrated & started buzzer mashing when Emily kept beating her in the Literary Love Triangles category, and she lost her mojo. But we're stuck with Emily who is saved by her FJ wagering, which I can appreciate, even if I do not like her too much as a contestant. Tyler was cute, but he's no Dr. Alex (thank you for the pic @saber5055 ). 

TS I got were Prague, iron curtain (Jen's missed DD), Jolt Cola, champagne, Carpenters, Indian Ocean, Roman Empire. 

2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I didn't get it, but when the answer was revealed I thought, "bet carpediem got it". I guessed NV.

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I love word puzzle categories!  I ran that one.

That one gave me a bit of trouble. I kept forgetting that AT was going to stop reading and I had to continue without him.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, teebax said:

Hee. My Cousin Vinny came to my mind, too.

I got Nixon (I said Dick Nixon, so if "Dick" wasn't part of the quote, I suppose I was actually wrong), Jolt, Ulster, champagne, The Carpenters, and Indian Ocean (a guess). I said Holy Roman Empire instead of just Roman Empire, so I think I was wrong. I also got the DD of The Sun Also Rises.

For FJ I said Minnesota.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

For the love of all things holy!  Someone please beat Emily!  She acted bored out of her mind tonight.  I was rooting for Jen mainly because she kept giving Milquetoast Emily the stinkeye.

I really liked Jen. I thought she was engaging and I really wanted to know what her PHD will be in. I was disappointed she lost.

2 hours ago, Kathira said:

I got R. Crumb, which I hope they would have given me rather than his whole name. He always signed his work R. Crumb and I think his real first name isn't that well known.

I said R.Crumb too, and we discussed whether or not they would have taken that. As it was his signature, I think they would have.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Jolt cola was a big deal maybe 20 years ago, but try to find one now, and good luck on that. Y

He's R. Crumb to me, too. His "Just Passing Thru" Mr. Fred Natural was the symbol of my "happier days" youth. (Or UTE.)

I used to have a cookbook illustrated by him (left it with the first mister clanstarling). It had the most amazing cream cheese frosting recipe. His work was displayed at a museum in Portland some years back, and it was a pretty cool exhibit.

I was amazed I got Jolt (fist pump!). I wouldn't touch the stuff.

I was on thyroid brain today...so many answers left in the brain just on the verge of coming to the tip of the tongue. Sheesh.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I was amazed I got Jolt (fist pump!). I wouldn't touch the stuff.

I tried it once.  Twice the caffeine, half the flavor.  Yecch.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Driad said:

I tried it once.  Twice the caffeine, half the flavor.

Jolt was to keep people awake, not for casual drinking IMO. I never minded the (lack of) taste as I only drank it at 3 a.m. when I still had four more hours of driving ahead of me, then a full day's work. Since it can rarely be found, Mtn. Dew has taken its place, or coffee with a couple Stoks dumped in. Yeah, Stok'll keep you awake for a more than a few miles.

29 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I used to have a cookbook illustrated by him (left it with the first mister clanstarling).

I want that cookbook.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Okay, Emily can go now.  If she would open her mouth and speak up, she wouldn't bug me so much, but I can't understand half of what she says. 

I can understand her fine. The trick is to not look at her mouth because she appears to be trying to win some contest to see who can say the most while moving their lips the least. She's got a second carreer as a ventriloquist waiting if she ever gets tired of the nanny thing.

4 hours ago, lurk3000 said:

Holy crap. Emily is such a Debbie downer. 

I'm having a hard time deciding whether I'd rank her ahead or behind of our old friend Coma Kerry from a couple of seasons ago.  I like Emily, though, and I didn't care so much for Kerry, so I'll say Emily is not as bad as Coma Kerry.

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Cheech and Chong must have been out of Trebek's wheelhouse since they were in the same 70/80s decades as the Carpenters. I admit, that clue got me singing "Basketball Jones" and it's still ear worming me. I saw C+C in concert and have all their albums. Basketball Jones was one of my (demented) favorites.

Sort of randomly connected (but maybe a little OT)... Been watching The Man In The High Castle for the last couple of weeks and last night there was a Japanese General giving a rousing pep talk to some military guys in a room. At the end he leads them in a few rounds of "Banzai!" I chuckled and said out loud, "That reminds me of the Cheech & Chong bit from Big Bambu where the same speech, more or less, is being given to a room full of kamikaze pilots. At the end a lone voice in the back of the room says, "Honorable General, Sir! You're out of your F-ing mind!" So 3 C+C references over 2 days on 2 different shows.

• Love 9

Me, too.

And that I read James Michener. And that I set all my mysteries in Colorado, which doesn't mean anything except I set all my mysteries in Colorado.

If I had yelled NIXON any louder, he'd have come back from the dead.

• Love 9

Cheech and Chong must have been out of Trebek's wheelhouse since they were in the same 70/80s decades as the Carpenters.

But Cheech was the first ever Celebrity J! Champion. I thought that was hilarious. So much for grass killing your brain cells.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Too bad I didn't have any Champagne to drink for the Alex Trebek drinking game -- the Carpenters were before those contestants' time! 

And, as noted above, the very next clue was about ancient history--which somehow they knew despite that also being "before their time!"

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I said Holy Roman Empire instead of just Roman Empire, so I think I was wrong. 

Holy Roman Empire is the one with Charlemagne as the first emperor, in the year 800.  So not the same.  I was shocked that given the year 30 B.C., no one got Roman Empire--you had Gauls and you had a famous Julius Caesar year.  That one I couldn't understand the TS.

I did like that the two women ran the baseball category.  But I thought Jen ran a category but didn't get the applause/recognition for doing so.  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I want that cookbook.

I do too. It was a mistake leaving it. The ex, not so much.

6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Me, too.

And that I read James Michener. And that I set all my mysteries in Colorado, which doesn't mean anything except I set all my mysteries in Colorado.

If I had yelled NIXON any louder, he'd have come back from the dead.

I lived there, read Centennial, and didn't get it. I hang my head in shame.

20 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Holy Roman Empire is the one with Charlemagne as the first emperor, in the year 800.  So not the same.  I was shocked that given the year 30 B.C., no one got Roman Empire--you had Gauls and you had a famous Julius Caesar year.  That one I couldn't understand the TS.

And wasn't dissolved until 1806. I've always had trouble wrapping my head around that empire.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

And wasn't dissolved until 1806. I've always had trouble wrapping my head around that empire.

You weren't alone. Voltaire had said the Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. 

• Love 12

On TS’s I got champagne, the Carpenters, Roman Empire, Nixon and I said home health care instead of elder care. Would that count? For FJ I guessed Colorado. 

I think I only got one of the word puzzles. Somehow what they wanted didn’t sink into my mind. 

I was impressed with Jen in the beginning. Especially the baseball category. I thought for sure she’d get Emily out of there. I had a laugh out of the Cheech and Chong answer. I’m going to have to go over to YouTube and listen to them. 

@Tabasco Cat I loved the series Man in the High Castle. I was so excited when Rufus Sewell was on the PBS series Victoria. 

• Love 4

Mountain Dew was an interesting response in the "Cola" category.

As a woman who's a lifelong, rabid baseball fan, I was delighted to see the two female contestants run the baseball category.  Those were all easy questions though for anyone with a basic knowledge of MLB's teams.  I'm so glad that baseball's back.  Play ball!

• Love 11

Emily really is Debbie Downer during the game but has a great smile when not playing.

My ts's were Nixon, Ulster, Carpenters, Indian Ocean and Roman Empire. I said Dom Perignon instead of champagne - think Alex would have told me to be less specific?

Had no idea on FJ, knowing only that Grant was president after the American Civil War, so I went to the more western midwest and picked Nebraska - not too bad a guess for this  Canadian since Nebraska was the previous state to Colorado to be admitted

Edited by Trey
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Holy Roman Empire is the one with Charlemagne as the first emperor, in the year 800.  So not the same. 

Thanks. I wonder... If someone answered 'What is the Holy Roman Empire,' then Alex would say No. But if a clue's correct response was actually the Holy Roman Empire, and someone said 'What is the Roman Empire,' do you think Alex would say 'Be more specific' ?

52 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@Tabasco Cat I loved the series Man in the High Castle. I was so excited when Rufus Sewell was on the PBS series Victoria. 

Rufus Sewell on Victoria. *swoon* I watched the first two eps of Man in the High Castle, but there was someone about it I didn't care for. I think it was the actors (Sewell aside).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Mountain Dew was an interesting response in the "Cola" category.

Again, it's helpful to pay attention to the category. (I'm typing that to myself because DUH.)

1 hour ago, Trey said:

Had no idea on FJ, knowing only that Grant was president after the American Civil War, so I went to the more western midwest and picked Nebraska

That was a better answer than Texas, given by this American. I was only 20-some years off.

Kit Crumb ... you guys are killing it today. Thanks for the laughs.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Again, it's helpful to pay attention to the category. (I'm typing that to myself because DUH.)

Double DUH. I didn't understand why people were saying that was a weird or interesting guess. Cola. I get it. Finally.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Double DUH. I didn't understand why people were saying that was a weird or interesting guess. Cola. I get it. Finally.

I know, right? How embarrassing given my long exposés into Jolt vs. Mt. Dew. I am now this thread's court jester. "I was just kidding guys. Really!"

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

Free shot from the foul line of love.

I said Robert Crumb.  I think that was his first name.  And how could Nixon have been a miss???  Along with Iron Curtain.  I got FJ! despite being the official geographic idiot.

And I said Ute in a Joe Pesci Vinnie voice......

• Love 2

I ran the baseball category and got Champagne, Nixon, Jolt ("all the sugar and twice the caffeine!"), the Carpenters, Cheech & Chong, and the Roman Empire.

I was surprised to see Jim Stafford's "Your Bulldog Drinks Champagne" as a $400 question.  It hit only #24 on the U.S. charts, and I don't recall it from listening to WLS or WCFL (Super CFL) in Chicagoland in 1975.  Yes, I know I was a ute at the time, but I distinctly remember hearing his earlier hits Spiders & Snakes and Wildwood Weed in heavy rotation.  I only got it because of the clue itself and a vague recollection of having seen the song in one of my Top 40 Hit Singles books.

Edited by GenerationX
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

I ran the baseball category and got Champagne, Nixon, Jolt ("all the sugar and twice the caffeine!"), the Carpenters, Cheech & Chong, and the Roman Empire.

I was surprised to see Jim Stafford's "Your Bulldog Drinks Champagne" as a $400 question.  It hit only #24 on the U.S. charts, and I don't recall it from listening to WLS or WCFL (Super CFL) in Chicagoland in 1975.  Yes, I know I was a ute at the time, but I distinctly remember hearing his earlier hits Spiders & Snakes and Wildwood Weed in heavy rotation.  I only got it because of the clue itself and a vague recollection of having seen the song in one of my Top 40 Hit Singles books.

I loved Spiders & Snakes and Wildwood Weed, and Stafford in general. At some point he either had his own summer variety show or was in someone else's I remember watching him sing those songs and I believe do some improv. But I never heard of that song.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, PaulaO said:

And how could Nixon have been a miss???  

And I said Ute in a Joe Pesci Vinnie voice......

Sen. Nixon was before my time. That is my story, and I'm sticking with it! 

Always say utes in a Joe Pesci Vinnie voice. Always! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

I have never heard of Jim Stafford or any of the music, but I thought the clue made it easy. However, even sitting at home, I thought that many people forget champagne is a wine, so they will miss it for that reason.  I'm not sure why people put champagne in a different category, but it seems like a lot of people think it's something entirely different than wine.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

As it turns out, you can have that cookbook. If you're willing to spend a wee bit more (hah) than you would on a current one:

I'll have to take up a collection. Yikes at that paperback price. Would be cool to find one at a Goodwill or yard sale though. Thanks for the link. Was fun to see.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I'll have to take up a collection. Yikes at that paperback price. Would be cool to find one at a Goodwill or yard sale though. Thanks for the link. Was fun to see.

Wow. That’s some price tag. I have an oldie but a goodie. Alice’s Restaurant cookbook. (Arlo Guthrie). 

What is BLS? Happy Easter to everyone. 

• Love 2

BMS--when Alex says to be more specific.

BLS--be less specific.  Since Sharpie66 said Dom Perignon (a type of champagne) for the answer that was supposed to be just champagne.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have an oldie but a goodie. Alice’s Restaurant cookbook.

New Jeopardy category: Famous Non-Chef Cookbooks or something like that. Of course, that category name would have to be followed by something the same but different. My brain isn't up to the task today.

Yes, happy Easter, a joyous Passover and a late Vernal Equinox to all my PTV friends. And the rest of you too.

• Love 6

I just can't anymore with these people not betting enough to win when they get FJ correct. 

That champion could not be more doll.  She looks like a robot up there.  She hardly moves

Was pretty sure about Colorado, only question was if Grant was till president in 1876 when they entered.  Very end of his presidency.  I couldn't think of another state that entered around that time though so just went with it. 

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, rubaco said:

Yes, Jeopardy players... enunciate! I thought Tyler was pretty mush-mouthed as well today, like it's a condition that's catching. I'm kind of surprised that Alex isn't constantly asking, "Say again, please?" His 77-year-old ears must be pretty good.

He probably does, I assume they just edit it out. 

• Love 2