Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Well, darn.  Virginia was really growing on me.  I didn't realize she was an MD.  Did she mention that before?  Congrats to Jeffrey, but I don't expect he'll be around long.  At first I thought he was a private investigator, not invester.  What's that mean?  He does day trading in his pj's in his basement?  Tim was flogging his buzzer to the point it was distracting.  He would be flailing away even though another contestant was almost finished answering.  I half expected his buzzer to let out a scream and then start smoking a cigarette the way he was going at it.  Yes, I have a dirty mind.  I also didn't like him just saying the dollar amount without mentioning which category.

We got two "good for you".  Drink, drink.  ??

I got six, orange, and H1N1.  Today's Daytime Jeopardy also had a clue about the 1918-1919 influenza outbreak.

FJ was an instaget.  Yay!

• Love 8
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

What was Final Jeopardy? My news cut in to say our governor finally decided to resign, so I missed it.

"OF THE 16 COMMONWEALTH NATIONS WITH QUEEN ELIZABETH II AS HEAD OF STATE, THIS ONE IS FARTHEST FROM THE UNITED KINGDOM."

Congrats on Missouri getting a new governor. It was past time for Greitens.

Edited by saber5055
Added some Greitens snark. He's such a creep.
  • Love 12

I barely remember the new champ just a few hours after I watched. I was rooting for Tim. He had a real record store geek vibe about him, although I questioned that when he answered THE Arcade Fire.

Proof that the show is dumbing down: I ran three whole categories and was 4 out of 5 in two others. I'm not that smart, people.

Why, when time is running out and there's only one category left, do they waste time saying the category name????

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, SHD said:

Proof that the show is dumbing down: I ran three whole categories and was 4 out of 5 in two others. I'm not that smart, people.

Ha!  My thoughts exactly when I get a lot of answers right.

• Love 4

Hard to believe Jeffrey's father would have entered him into any beautiful baby contest.  He did say he never won, right?  I was rooting for Virginia in any case.

For FJ I was momentarily torn between Australia and New Zealand, but chose NZ in the nick of time.  I also got six and iamb, and should have gotten H1N1, but the numbers wouldn't come to me.  I blame it on having worked adjacent to other flus with other numbers -- my excuse and I'm sticking with it!  LOL

• Love 5

I got Volvo, H1N1, iamb, six white stripes and New Zealand for FJ. I considered Australia, but decided that New Zealand was farther away. I said yellow for the FedEx logo, which I suppose they wouldn't have given me. I liked Virginia and am sorry to see her go, but at least she won a bunch of money. I liked her recommendation for students aiming for medical school to go for the humanities rather than have such a heavy science focus early. Jeffrey bugged - he's a slow talker and called the full category name, please too often. Even Alex was running over him to read the clue.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Surprised no-one knew the number of stripes.

That was a shocker. I'm sure they knew it was either 6 or 7 but couldn't remember which.

• Love 6

I wish I could remember why I recently looked at the list of commonwealth countries. I got FJ pretty quickly and then spent way too long trying to remember why. 

I always mix up the stripe numbers, so I wouldn’t have rung in on that. My home guess was wrong though. Maybe I can insert a trick in my brain now (the three-letter words don’t pair together red-seven, white-six).  With my luck I’ll probably end up thinking it’s that the theee-letter words pair up.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I also didn't like him just saying the dollar amount without mentioning which category.

I liked that. If they're already in a category, then just say the dollar amount you want. Better than what Virginia was doing for the last category of the game, saying the complete title every single time.

46 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Hard to believe Jeffrey's father would have entered him into any beautiful baby contest.  He did say he never won, right? 

Aww, I liked his story and have no trouble believing he was a beautiful baby because you can't determine how cute an adult was as a baby.

I also liked Tim's story about getting spooked by the astrology warning.

27 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Surprised no-one knew the number of stripes.

I figure they knew it was either 6 or 7 but were waiting for someone else to try first.

The only TS I got was iamb. I didn't even get FJ. I first thought Australia, then said Bermuda, thinking the Caribbean was actually farther. (Ron Howard: It's not.)

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Pallida said:

I wish I could remember why I recently looked at the list of commonwealth countries. I got FJ pretty quickly and then spent way too long trying to remember why. 

I always mix up the stripe numbers, so I wouldn’t have rung in on that. My home guess was wrong though. Maybe I can insert a trick in my brain now (the three-letter words don’t pair together red-seven, white-six).  With my luck I’ll probably end up thinking it’s that the theee-letter words pair up.

Not a quick way to remember, but red has to be the higher number so it makes up the upper and lower borders (white wouldn't work as a border).

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, Pallida said:

Red is on the outside, top and bottom, so it there has to be more red than white. That's simpler to remember than a formula.

14 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Aww, I liked his story and have no trouble believing he was a beautiful baby because you can't determine how cute an adult was as a baby.

I also liked Tim's story about getting spooked by the astrology warning.

I liked both of the men, and didn't mind Tim's buzzer buzzing because I rather see that than one more day of Virginia. I also liked both of their stories, they were funny and self-deprecating. I'd was fine with either one beating Virginia. Thank the gods one did. Three snaps up for the new champ.

• Love 4

In half a game on Monday (stupid Cubs!) and all of Tuesday's game, I only had Nashville, Taps, and Van Halen.  However, from reading some comments here, I probably would've had one or two of the palindromes and most definitely would've had Cal Ripken Jr. (was the clue about a baseball shortstop with the most consecutive games played?).  As teebax mentioned, there is no "The" in Arcade Fire.  That bothered me, too.

Did not guess Twain, but had New Zealand as an instaget.  Whenever I hear the name Twain, I think of, in order, Mark, Shania, and Lionel (a character from the the classic Neil Simon movie "Murder by Death" whose house number was, of course, 2 2).

• Love 6

Careful - someday they might sneak in an I. M. Pei!

Never! Alex couldn't pronounce it!

Forget 3-named architect...how about what do you wave to surrender? Sheesh! (I guess they wouldn't accept your severed arm, huh?)

I'm married to an Aussie author (20 Harlequin romances set in Oz), so he said NZ before I could take a breath.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Pallida said:

Could it have been all the hype over every detail of Harry and Meghan's wedding? Her veil had flowers representing each of the Commonwealth countries embroidered on it, plus a California poppy.

• Love 5

It's not "The Van Halen," and it's not "The Arcade Fire."

And it's not "THE Eagles."  I never heard of Arcade Fire.  I used to be good at the pop culture stuff, when I was young and crap like that mattered. Now, all I'm interested in is a good pain reliever for arthritis.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Bklyndeb said:

I truly hate myself for this but I remembered the red/white stripe ratio from a song on Barney that I sat through 3000 times when the kiddies were little.

Knowledge is knowledge, no matter where you find it:)

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And it's not "THE Eagles."  I never heard of Arcade Fire.  I used to be good at the pop culture stuff, when I was young and crap like that mattered. Now, all I'm interested in is a good pain reliever for arthritis.

THE Arcade Fire bugged me too. I wish Alex had said, "Just 'Arcade Fire,' but we'll accept it." As for THE Eagles, I guess I'd give more leeway for that. After all, if you're going to one of their concerts, you wouldn't say, "I'm going to see Eagles."

2 hours ago, Bklyndeb said:

I truly hate myself for this but I remembered the red/white stripe ratio from a song on Barney that I sat through 3000 times when the kiddies were little.

OK. You're made me look it up:

50 stars are on our flag, on our flag, on our flag.
50 stars are on our flag;
My dear country.

13 stripes are on our flag, on our flag, on our flag.
13 stripes are on our flag;
My dear country.

7 are red, and 6 are white, 6 are white, 6 are white.
7 are red, and 6 are white;
My dear country.

That'll work for me.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

OK. You're made me look it up:

50 stars are on our flag, on our flag, on our flag.
50 stars are on our flag;
My dear country.

13 stripes are on our flag, on our flag, on our flag.
13 stripes are on our flag;
My dear country.

7 are red, and 6 are white, 6 are white, 6 are white.
7 are red, and 6 are white;
My dear country.

That'll work for me.

I've never heard this, but is it to the tune of London Bridge is Falling Down? I'm guessing based on the way the verses scan. I always hated that about Barney. They took perfectly good folk tunes and traditional nursery rhyme songs and turned them into inane pap. School House Rock at least had original tunes.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, GalvDuck said:

Reminds me of when people say "THE Mayo Clinic."  It's just Mayo Clinic.  

Also THE Ukraine, THE Yukon - it's just Ukraine and just Yukon, it's not even called Yukon Territory anymore.

Did not get FJ.  I knew it was either Australia or New Zealand and couldn't quite picture how they appear on a map.  Now I've looked it up I can see NZ is a fair bit further south and further east and, therefore, further from England.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And it's not "THE Eagles."  I never heard of Arcade Fire. 

I've been to an Eagles concert and I told friends I saw the Eagles. More egregious was answering "The Clan" for Wu Tang (blank). Now THAT'S incorrect, it's not Wu Tang The Clan. We've already discussed that here.

My pet peeve is calling Ukraine "The Ukraine." I hear it constantly on tv and the radio. Pretty much every time Ukraine is in the news.

2 hours ago, GalvDuck said:

Reminds me of when people say "THE Mayo Clinic."  It's just Mayo Clinic.  

This doesn't bother me. It's like saying "I'm going to the library." "I'm going to the (small t) Mayo Clinic."

Actually, everyone I know, including clients, professionals employed there (I'm talking Rochester, Minn.) plus doctors who work there just call it "Mayos." They are "going to Mayos." The "s" is technically incorrect, but that's what everyone calls it: Mayos.

British people say they are "going to hospital," no "the" at all, while "the" is inserted all the time in America. The British "no the" sounds clumsy to American ears. To "the" or not to "the," it doesn't bother me. Except in the case of Ukraine.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Trey said:

Did not get FJ.  I knew it was either Australia or New Zealand and couldn't quite picture how they appear on a map.  Now I've looked it up I can see NZ is a fair bit further south and further east and, therefore, further from England.

I grew up in the UK and we all thought we could dig a hole to Australia.  Apparently it would be closer to NZ, but a bit of a soggy "landing"!  https://www.antipodesmap.com/

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I grew up in the UK and we all thought we could dig a hole to Australia.  Apparently it would be closer to NZ, but a bit of a soggy "landing"!  https://www.antipodesmap.com/

Cool map! I've bookmarked it.  I would be in the briny ocean, not too far from you, if that was your location in the link.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Besides most parents think they have the most beautiful baby in the world.

36 minutes ago, Trey said:

Also THE Ukraine, THE Yukon - it's just Ukraine and just Yukon, it's not even called Yukon Territory anymore.

Same with the United States, but you'd rarely hear someone say "I'm traveling to United States of America".

• Love 5
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Trey said:

Cool map! I've bookmarked it.  I would be in the briny ocean, not too far from you, if that was your location in the link.

Yup.  If we time it right, we could swim to shore together.

(Strange how according to the graphics one starts the journey as a man, but ends up a woman.)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 2
On ‎05‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:17 AM, Conotocarious said:

Actually, it’s What’s Opera, Doc?

One of my all-time favorite cartoons ever.

"Kill the Wabbit!  Kill the Wabbit!"

Won't miss Josh.  I liked Virginia okay, but have to admit, due to what is either a scar or a really deep dimple on one side of her mouth, all I could think of when I looked at her was Heath Ledger's Joker.

• Love 4
On ‎05‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:18 PM, Mondrianyone said:

As much as I'd like to blame Austin Rogers for every bad thing anyone ever did--including kidnapping the Lindbergh baby and inventing Classic Coke--he wasn't the one who left the puppy on the pyramid.  That was Ryan of the pleather jacket, starting on this page.

The invention of Classic Coke (more accurately the return to real Coke) was a miracle - it's the invention of that abomination known as New Coke for which I'd like to blame Austin.

On ‎05‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:25 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Mind it was a guess because I remembered George Wallace was Governor of Alabama.

That's what made me guess Alabama as well.

• Love 3
On ‎05‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Same here. I live on a beach and that’s the only name we’ve ever called them. (Some Christians call them Jesus shells because of the doves that are found inside when they’re broken). 

I did finally come up with exoskeleton, but probably not quickly enough.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I liked that. If they're already in a category, then just say the dollar amount you want.

They tell you to do that when there's only one category left, but actually suggest that you don't do that otherwise to avoid confusion.

I've heard of Arcade Fire but couldn't name one of their songs if you held a gun to my head.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

Also THE Ukraine, THE Yukon - it's just Ukraine and just Yukon, it's not even called Yukon Territory anymore

But it used to be THE Ukraine, and I'm old so I can't stop saying that.

• Love 8

It is if the question is, "Who are the reigning Super Bowl champs?" 

Sorry, still giddy. 

• Love 11
26 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The invention of Classic Coke (more accurately the return to real Coke) was a miracle - it's the invention of that abomination known as New Coke for which I'd like to blame Austin.

Yeah, I realized this just as I was about to hit submit, but I decided I liked the alliteration.  (You can blame the Jeopardy! writers for that.  And Austin, too.  What the hell.)

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Brookside said:

(Strange how according to the graphics one starts the journey as a man, but ends up a woman.)

Evolution.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Tunia said:

Besides most parents think they have the most beautiful baby in the world.

Yes! Anyone remember the Seinfeld episode about this exact subject? “You’re quite breathtaking.”

1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Great fun map. It even located my exact township, then it dumped me in the ocean, midway between Madagascar and Australia. I was hoping for a sex change, but no such luck.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I liked Virginia okay, but have to admit, due to what is either a scar or a really deep dimple on one side of her mouth, all I could think of when I looked at her was Heath Ledger's Joker.

That added to her "I'm the smartest person ever" smirk which she displayed after every successful DD and FJ. SO glad she's gone. I liked absolutely nothing about her. Good riddance.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

That added to her "I'm the smartest person ever" smirk which she displayed after every successful DD and FJ. SO glad she's gone. I liked absolutely nothing about her. Good riddance.

You saw smirk, I just saw a smile.  I found her much less smug than Josh was at the end.  To each, their own.

• Love 7
On 5/29/2018 at 9:44 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Same here. I live on a beach and that’s the only name we’ve ever called them. (Some Christians call them Jesus shells because of the doves that are found inside when they’re broken). 

I had never heard this, so I looked it up and found lots of interesting information about how sand dollars relate to the Christian religion. And there are literally (literally!) little shell doves, five of them, inside each dollar. Here is the link. Sand dollars could make a full Jeopardy category. Thanks Mindthinkr!

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Yeah, I realized this just as I was about to hit submit, but I decided I liked the alliteration.  (You can blame the Jeopardy! writers for that.  And Austin, too.  What the hell.)

Shouldn't that be "the Iggles"?

• Love 3

I was so angry to see "Male Authors" as a category. This shows me the writers know they should be using "Female Authors" instead of "Women Authors." UGH!

This was not my best game. My only TS were Acropolis, standard (for songs), Julius Caesar, and FJ in an instaget. The pacing of the contestants was throwing off my game, but I'm not quite sure why. I just couldn't get into it today.

I was worried for Amy in the beginning when bad guesses kept her in the hole, but she turned it around and ended up with a respectable score. I still dislike Jeffrey and still don't know why.

• Love 9

Oh, Alex, Alex, Alex... you just about made me spew my wine when your tongue got all twisted saying the Swiss bank (Credit Suisse) and then shortly after you had to hork out some German. You might want to try some Deep Immune to help with that phlegm. LOL.

• Love 8

Two "genre" in one clue!  We need a special drink when that happens! 

I wasn't a fan of Amy's vocal fry, although she toned it down a bit later in the game.  I wasn't much of a fan of any of the three, so I didn't much care who won.

It took me a few seconds to pull "Joplin" from my brain -- I'm pretty sure they would not have accepted "that guy who wrote all the ragtime music".  And now I have "The Entertainer" stuck in my head.

I also got armadillo, boa, festival seating, Julius Caesar, Idaho, and Maine.

• Love 9
(edited)

The champ looks like Michael McKeon and nothing like a brainiac. Which makes me like him.

"Male Authors!" cracked me up. You know PAs are reading here. So, thank you show.

I got every single TS plus FJ was a snap. Hanging out on The Bachelorette thread and not here has vastly improved my brain power. Who woulda guessed.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 9