Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0: Season Three Talk

• Start Topic

Do we know where she is in the polls? I hope to God she wins too. I doubt it would be a landslide but if her organization has really gotten over half a million people registered to vote, that's a lot.

• Love 1

As a proud Canadian, I must say that I'm SHOCKED and OUTRAGED about Mexicans flying into Canada, then sneaking across our border into the United States. What, our country's not good enough for you? Are we like Zombieland with real zombies roaming the nation searching for brains to eat that you'd consider a country that has an Annoying Orange as its leader? Hell, ours would probably welcome you all with open arms. Even playing mariachi music with a guitar while dressed up as Speedy Gonzales! (On second thought, never mind. After his recent trip to India, I can see your point!)

• Love 11

Honestly, I think people would be better off in Canada. But Canada hasn't marketed itself as the greatest country on earth, you all have been too busy with substance and not so much with the self-promotion, so people don't realize their mistake and throw themselves into the braggadocious arms of the USA.

• Love 5

Watching it now. “Donorrhea” was inspired, and “gonorrhea” isn’t recognized by my iPad. That’s followed by Lewis Black and adult summer camps. No mention about baseball fantasy camps existing for ages, but it’s golden . . . especially Lewis pitching his “Wor-Ker-Bee” camp for kids. “Don’t spend the summer sitting on your ass! Spend it wiping MY ass!!” Classic.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

Loved Roy's piece on Franklin. I've seen Charlie Brown Thanksgiving since diapers and I never noticed Franklin sitting by himself. 

Maybe this was before Patty and Marcy came over to the table, and Franklin was placed between them to prevent awkward moments. Is it bad to say Franklin never registered with me at all?

Good night from the all-stars, with Desi and Dulce throwing shade on stuff that’s worst to look at than (concealed) breastfeeding.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Arcadiasw said:

Loved Roy's piece on Franklin.

ITA. I also loved Franklin singing This Is America. 

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

with Desi and Dulce throwing shade on stuff that’s worst to look at than (concealed) breastfeeding.

Yes. All of the stuff they brought up is definitely better to hide than breastfeeding.

Those t-shirts the Parkland kids wore were great. I wonder if they came up with that idea. I think so. It's an understatement to say how media-savvy they are.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Maybe this was before Patty and Marcy came over to the table, and Franklin was placed between them to prevent awkward moments. Is it bad to say Franklin never registered with me at all?

Nah. Franklin hardly spoke. It's easy to not notice him. I would rather see more of him or Pig Pen and less of Lucy. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I think it's ok. I only knew of Peanuts since the early 80s and Franklin was around by then so I didn't think having an African-American kid around was a big deal. 

I love all the Parkland HS students and hope that tons and tons and tons of young people get out and vote and seriously just throw the entire electorate into chaos where the typical voting blocs just don't count nearly as much anymore if at all. However, I would seriously advise them to just not bother hitting the "we're pro 2nd amendment; we're not taking your guns" every single time they're out discussing their cause. Those people aren't going to support what you stand for. Honestly, don't bother trying to reach everyone. Sure, if you're at an event and someone says that, you definitely should say "no, that's not true at all" and leave it at that. Here, they brought it up unbidden and it just comes off as defensive to me. (It's slightly analogous to me about how we develop ways to talk to people about nuclear energy which is what pinged me.)

The young people they want to get out to vote probably share their views anyway, and it's more important to communicate that both sides aren't "just as bad" and your vote really does count. The KS primary for governor is separated by less than 100 votes! By always bringing up guns, which I know it's hard not to, they're risking inadvertently coming off as one issue, which they're clearly not. "I don't think Congress is representative of really what people are like in America, and I want to support candidates who are." That's really good enough.

• Love 6

I hope these kids aren't disillusioned when those young voters don't show up to vote.  Historically, they just don't, no matter what is going on.  The Parkland kids have been so wonderful and enthusiastic and are working hard to change the status quo far more effectively than many others who have tried to fight against our gun culture.  Right now, they see they are making progress.  It would be a shame if their progress doesn't extend to actual votes and they end up feeling as disillusioned as a lot of people do after trying to make a difference and failing.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

There aren’t enough words to express how much I love Trevor’s delighted laughter in response to Matt Deitsch’s “we have more important things to do”. 

That's great, but I couldn't help thinking that they had their last chance to just be kids summarily ripped away from them. 

• Love 4

Loved Desi and Dulce explaining public breast feeding to the easily offendable. I personally would just turn my head away and let mother and infant be.

I wonder how much influence Charles Schulz had in overseeing the Peanuts TV specials, and if he ever approved of the stereotyping Franklin displayed in them. In the Peanuts comic strip, which Schulz handled 100% and was very protective over, Franklin came across as just another character in the Peanuts gang. Very normal and not much in the way of quirks that the others had. The only time Franklin's race was ever brought up was when he was playing hockey and Peppermint Patty, who was practicing her figure skating on the same sheet of ice, asked him if there were any black players in the NHL, which at the time might have been the most unstereotypical thing about an African American.

I wish the best in the kids and their efforts to curb the firearm epidemic afflicting America. They're taking a ton of shit from pro gun groups and their supporters in the right wing media, as well as pinning their hopes on their fellow millenials actually going out to vote in November. I fear for them facing a massive letdown.

• Love 1

I mainly watched the Charlie Brown Christmas specials (Charlie Brown's Christmas and Charlie Brown's Christmas 2) and Franklin doesn't do that stuff in those. He just behaves like another kid. It's in the later specials that Charles Schultz had less control over that the examples were pulled from. The Christmas ones were religiously themed based on Schultz's own religious beliefs. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

Watched the episode. Not fun . . . most of it on You-Know-Who, followed by Omarosa giving us so little, while hoping that we don’t realize she’s not much better than him, than if at all. Oh, and we got a copycat of the president in one of the most politically unstable spots on the planet. Super. ?

ETA: I miss typos and odd words when using the iPad. I’m sorry, and I blame the president. ?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3

Well, I do agree with Omarosa when she says if we’d stop giving Trump so much oxygen for the things he tweets and says, it would upset him.  But unfortunately, all this outrage is making a lot of people rich.

• Love 2

I didn't see Omarosa on The Apprentice, so I don't have the hate for her that lots of people do. I understand she's a "villain" but I don't get why. Anyway, I do think it was unethical for her to record meetings in the Situation Room. Is it illegal in D.C. to record a conversation without the other person's consent? That aside, I am curious about what's on her tapes. I believe her before I believe anything Trump says. 

NDAs in the White House? That's absurd. You can't compel government employees to be quiet about government issues unless it's classified.

• Love 2

Yeah I thought this interview (at least as aired haven't checked out anything else that may be online) was a very rare miss by Trevor, who is usually the best of the late night interviewers. Maybe she wasn't going to say anything about the tapes, but I would have liked to have seen a more assertive approach to her opportunism and her experiences with Trump in the past. This is one guest where I think a Jon Stewart type approach (more analytical, an intellectual cross-examination) is unquestionably preferable to Trevor Noah's more personal conversational approach since Omarosa is never going to give us anything real about herself, and deserves to be called out at every opportunity.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

followed by Omarosa giving us so little, while hoping that we don’t realize she’s not much better than him, than if at all.

She's not, but the FBI still relies on mobsters and criminals when they're building a RICO case, so it doesn't bother me that much. Would she have realized on her own what a mess this administration is and walked away willingly at some point? Probably not. The mobster is still going run numbers and shakedowns if they hadn't been caught either. But she was and she knew it was coming down, so she took her pound of flesh. 

32 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

Well, I do agree with Omarosa when she says if we’d stop giving Trump so much oxygen for the things he tweets and says, it would upset him.

Even regular news organizations have to report on the tweets since he's making policy decisions on twitter. It would be great if everyone ignored them, but it's a catch-22 imo. 

21 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

NDAs in the White House? That's absurd. You can't compel government employees to be quiet about government issues unless it's classified.

I only think she signed one as part of the campaign, not as a WH staffer. Otherwise, it's a legal decision that says NDAs in the WH don't have the force of law anyway.

10 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

Yeah I thought this interview (at least as aired haven't checked out anything else that may be online) was a very rare miss by Trevor, who is usually the best of the late night interviewers.

I think he did as well as anyone else over the weekend. Like you said, she's not going to give up much, and she flat out said that she has a team of lawyers telling her to hold back, *and* prior to taping, Trump sued her. There's not really much you can ask besides 'how did you not know?'. He did ask about what she thought of people's perceptions of her. I guess I kind of believe her when she said that she thought he might rise to the occasion once elected, but I don't think it would have taken 11 months to realize that wasn't happening. She's been hammering the 'blind spot' narrative all weekend, and I don't know if I buy that, but I think Trevor was kind of hemmed in what he could get out of her. I probably would have asked if she's noticed that all the people he calls, "lowlife, stupid, low IQ, etc.," all are African-Americans, and maybe pushed back on her dancing around the word racism, but I don't see what else he could have done. 

• Love 3

Watching Omarosa last night, I want to like her and want her to be successful in helping to expose and take down this horrible administration, but all I could think about was how she would still be helping to promote all of it if she hadn't been fired. She'd be pimping 45's agenda right now if he hadn't tired of her. It's hard to know who to root for in this quagmire. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Yeah I thought this interview (at least as aired haven't checked out anything else that may be online) was a very rare miss by Trevor, who is usually the best of the late night interviewers. Maybe she wasn't going to say anything about the tapes, but I would have liked to have seen a more assertive approach to her opportunism and her experiences with Trump in the past. This is one guest where I think a Jon Stewart type approach (more analytical, an intellectual cross-examination) is unquestionably preferable to Trevor Noah's more personal conversational approach since Omarosa is never going to give us anything real about herself, and deserves to be called out at every opportunity.

Yes, a "Roll 212" on her would be very interesting.

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

I only think she signed one as part of the campaign, not as a WH staffer. Otherwise, it's a legal decision that says NDAs in the WH don't have the force of law anyway.

Yesterday I read that other WH staffers have signed NDAs even though the WH lawyer said they probably weren't enforceable.

• Love 1

here's a thought, lets not give Omarosa any more oxygen.  I do not like 45, but I hate Omarosa more and I can't believe a word that comes out of her mouth.  IMO, she's giving 45 credibility.  (did I just write that......now I hate her more).  

• Love 2

Even regular news organizations have to report on the tweets since he's making policy decisions on twitter. It would be great if everyone ignored them, but it's a catch-22 imo. 

Yes, but the media doesn't have to mindlessly relay every tweet he puts out. They should report on the ones that are at least vaguely policy-related, but don't need to amplify the ones where he's just insulting people and name-calling. And for the ones where he's outright lying, make it absolutely clear that what he's saying has no basis in reality.

• Love 10

I'm glad Trevor acknowledged the irony of Brennan having his clearance revoked for "internet outbursts."

I did really crack up at Roy's segment. N-word aside, I liked their take on the clips they showed of the media frothing over whether Trump said it or not. Way to focus on the issues, and yeah, we have 100s of hours of footage of Trump on tape being racist, so this is the straw?

• Love 5
22 hours ago, ombelico said:

Yes, but the media doesn't have to mindlessly relay every tweet he puts out. They should report on the ones that are at least vaguely policy-related, but don't need to amplify the ones where he's just insulting people and name-calling. And for the ones where he's outright lying, make it absolutely clear that what he's saying has no basis in reality.

20 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think that ship has sailed. 

Trevor (and other news outlets) did a segment on the amount of news coverage given to Trump before the election. And Trevor admitted that it was adding to his popularity among voters

• Love 1

@Arcadiasw . . . that's because Viacom aired the VMAs on most of their platforms, including Comedy Central. Yeah, I don't know. I haven't been interested since they stopped showing videos in the morning back when I was working.

I'm gonna miss "Hasan the Record." I think he peaked with "We're gonna have to waterboard this puppy! Awwwwwww!!!"

You can generally tell when the late night shows will be off because they don't have tickets on those days.  Of the four I watch (Trevor, Stephen, Kimmel, & Seth), none of them are recording until September 4 (day after Labor Day).  They also all seem to have September 17 off (Emmys).  Except for Seth, for some reason.  Trevor & Stephen also have September 18 off, but Kimmel is recording on Friday September 21....

You, too, can look all this up.  Each show's webpage has a link for tickets, which will have the schedule for the current month and usually the next one.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

You can generally tell when the late night shows will be off because they don't have tickets on those days.  Of the four I watch (Trevor, Stephen, Kimmel, & Seth), none of them are recording until September 4 (day after Labor Day).  They also all seem to have September 17 off (Emmys).  Except for Seth, for some reason.  Trevor & Stephen also have September 18 off, but Kimmel is recording on Friday September 21....

You, too, can look all this up.  Each show's webpage has a link for tickets, which will have the schedule for the current month and usually the next one.

Probably because Seth didn't get nominated... For the 18th, where their studios are located (NY or LA) made the difference, I guess.

• Love 1

Watched the “special” on separating refugee children from parents. Is Kirstjen Nielsen still with the administration? It’s like there’s a loose rotation where they piss you off, and you realize they still exist.

Curious . . . will we have a correspondent “best of” theme next week? Or just more topics?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Watched the “special” on separating refugee children from parents. Is Kirstjen Nielsen still with the administration? It’s like there’s a loose rotation where they piss you off, and you realize they still exist.

Curious . . . will we have a correspondent “best of” theme next week? Or just more topics?

She's the Secretary of Homeland Security - a Cabinet-level position.

Or how about giving the shoes to someone who really needs them?

So conservatives want to boycott the movie because they don't show the planting of the flag? Who are the snowflakes again?

16 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I will never understand burning what you're protesting. As Trevor said, the company already has your money. 

In delicious irony, they'll be buying Nike products eventually, so the company still wins. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ganesh said:

Or how about giving the shoes to someone who really needs them?

Like to homeless military vets, since you know, the kneeling supposedly insults the military?  This whole fucking controversy is just a sign of how Dumpster uses racism to rile his base.  And the NFL let him do it.

• Love 7

I said it just before Trevor did - so the administration staff agreed that a legal constitutional power might be legitimately used for this particular situation but decided against it because it was too hard? So don't worry, we'll make sure the president only commits a little light treason?

• Love 2

I sat through this whole thing because I was hoping April Ryan would take on Sarah Huckabee Sanders but she ended up having nothing of substance to say whatsoever. Didn't exactly make me want to run out and buy her new book.

• Love 5