Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0: Season Three Talk

• Start Topic

I thought last night's show was superb.  Both pieces on the NFL protests really hit it out of the park.  I liked the repeated comparison to Trump's Charlottesville response, and each angle of the stories was covered really well - the fact that they're not about the president and predate Trump, the "ungrateful" accusations, asking where/how is the "right" way for Black people to protest.  I especially loved Trevor responding to the guy who remarked that, since this isn't North Korea, the players don't have to worry about being shot in the head.  There were numerous lines that had me clapping for Trevor/the show.

And Katy Tur's interview was excellent.  Her story about Trump kissing her was so icky :shudder:

• Love 11

Trevor underscored the two facets of the anthem issue that I really think are most important. "They're doing it the wrong way" is not an argument because no one will provide an alternative as to what is. Trevor pressed Baby Ann Coulter on this when she was on the show and she completely fell apart. The other is "be grateful". I said this elsewhere, but saying "they should be grateful" is directly in line with "know you're place boy". No one is really pointing that out.

This is why the protest to me is so important. It's protesting an institutional problem, and the responses have been across the board subsequent to that. The fact that all these people are getting so up in arms and clutching their pearls in the clips over this says way more about the fragility of their own patriotism than anything else. Maybe they are realizing something about themselves that they don't want to admit. 

Let's also not forget, as Trevor has also brought up on a prior show, that NFL players used to not come out for the anthem until 2009 when the military paid the NFL to make them do that in order to boost recruitment. I'm skeptical all those people screaming and tearing their hair out in the street over the disrespect of the flag were equally upset prior to 2009 that the players weren't out there. I don't remember it myself, but I'm sure there were news articles all over the place back then right?

I also didn't know that Kap talked to a veteran who gave him the advice about kneeling. I hope that part of the story gets pushed into the fore more strongly. 

• Love 10

I'm not in the habit of forwarding articles and video clips (you're welcome, everyone I know), but Trevor's piece asking under what conditions blacks are allowed to protest might be an exception. He made a few points that I hadn't considered or seen mentioned on other shows.

... Until I watched Seth Meyers and his writer Amber Ruffin did a similar bit. Honestly, this is why it's so important to have TV showrunners, producers and writing staff with as much racial, sexual, religious, and geographical diversity as can be mustered.

Trevor's clear-eyed perspective and insights both as a foreigner and a multiracial person continue to make me reflect and reassess my innate assumptions.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 11

Two moments I especially liked: first, the poem was brilliant. But second, there was a gasp or murmur from the audience at one point, where it seemed clear to me that the point that this coded language is racist struck home, and those audience members just got it. This was a brilliant episode.

• Love 6

Loved the poem:

It's wrong to do it in the streets
It's wrong to do it in the Tweets
You cannot do it in the field
You cannot do it if you've kneeled
And don't do it if you're rich
You ungrateful son-of-a-bitch
Because there's one thing that's a fact
You cannot protest if you're black.

I don't remember hearing the backstory as to why Kaepernick changed from seating to kneeling (soldiers take a knee in front of fallen brothers' graves to show respect). 

Trevor making fun of Mnuchin makes me giggle.

What did the second child say in the MOZ?

• Love 8

I was unsure -- Did he think he was off the air? When he said "Watch this," what was he talking about? Anyway, he looked creepy and, yes, evil.

The pic of Bannon, Trump, and Kushner in pantsuits was hilarious. Trump looked like Dr Evil.

• Love 2

I thought Hannity was introducing a clip. But he has a lit cigarette next to him? Isn't that distracting when you're on the air? 

The whole piece on the racism was hilarious once they got to the coffee shop. The woman with the long hair had to know something was going on, but she looked like she was having the best time. The quick shot of Roy trying to get the white guy to escape was hilarious. 

I can't believe people pay $100/month for that though. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

Someone at Fox News must hate Sean Hannity with the white hot force of a billion exploding suns gong off at once.

Floved Trevor's righteous screed regarding Drumph's hypocritical stance against the NFL and its players and owners taking a knee in solidarity against his bullshit comments in Alabama. Of course it must burn him white hot from the inside out to know the league thinks of him way lower than pond scum. Drumph bought the USFL's New Jersey Generals in the mid 1980's and sweet talked their owners into going to war with the NFL (with the intent of convincing them to merge his team, among others, into the NFL). The USFL's anti trust suit against the NFL got them...ONE...DOLLAR in damages, and the league folded as a result of Drumph's attempts, which saw him slither out of the court room like a beaten coward (which wouldn't be the last time). The NFL never forgot him for that when they told him to fuck off in his attempts to buy the Buffalo Bills years ago.

• Love 4

I do have to push back a little on "New York is overdue" for an earthquake. That's not how statistics work. That's like saying because Houston got hit with a 500 year flood then they won't have another for 500 years. 

From Wednesday night, Mango Unchained made me giggle.

I'm surprised Trevor didn't note that when Trump said, "Did people call you Big Luther before you met Trump?" someone yelled out, "Yes." Of course Trump wasn't listening and then said, "You know, I BRAND people…"

Loved what Trevor did with the thing where the news anchor said, "Donald Trump went to bed embarrassed… and pissed."

Roy Moore. Yikes. The yellows and the reds being a Fight Club for M&Ms was pretty clever.

Looking at what Roy Moore has said and done is like peeling an onion: the deeper you go, the more you want to cry. So true.

It's funny that when Trevor said that Trumpism can exist without Trump, I had posted just about the same thing somewhere else earlier that day.

Then last night... 

That Ugandan govt meeting fight was insane! Before Trevor pointed him out, I had noticed the guy spinning on the table. Ugandan Michael Jackson indeed.

It's true that Trump needs a translator because HE DOESN'T SPEAK ENGLISH!

Orange and the New Tax. Hee.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 5

I didn't know she was head writer for the correspondents' dinner. She was good on the Nightly Show, and she's right, they didn't get a fair shake by canceling before the election.

Trevor's commentary on "it's too soon to talk about gun control" parallels well with "he has a right to protest, but he's doing it the wrong way." In both cases, the people making these statements are removed from the issue at hand and just aren't seeing the larger context. 

• Love 3

Funny clip of that blond Foxbot anchor and Hannity. Apparently, kissing Hannity's ass is a requirement of working at Fox. Her comment seemed to be saying, "I know I'm contractually obligated to say you're right, but first I'm going to subtly point out that what you just said made no sense." 

• Love 2

The patheticness of Fox News in whining about how difficult it is to spin the Las Vegas shooting into something of their advantage is something to behold. And Sean Hannity's opinion of this would be jaw dropping in its unmitigated gall, except that it just comes off as another day ending in a "y" for him.

Kudos to Trevor for making a Jon out of Fox News.

• Love 6

Hannity's fantasy was so absurd I was embarrassed for him. Is Trump's dementia rubbing off on him? Geez. IF the shooter hadn't been 400 yards away, and IF the shooter hadn't been on the 32nd floor, and IF the shooter was changing his clip WHILE being close enough for Hannity to shoot... Please, Sean-Boy, just shut it.

And then Trump tossing paper towels to people in the crowd. First off, paper towels? Are the people of Puerto Rico supposed to use them to sop up the flood waters? Second, who was in that crowd? I have to believe that they weren't just brought in willy-nilly from off the streets. They'd have to have been individually picked out so as not to embarrassed Precedent Thin-Skin.

On a happier note, I loved Trevor's bit about the Middle Eastern Trump guy wanting the travel ban just so his relatives couldn't bug him for money.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, 2727 said:

Pfft. Hannity would have been pushing/trampling others to get out of the venue.

Like George Costanza in "The Fire":

Seemingly, to the untrained eye, I can fully understand how you got that impression. What looked like pushing...what looked like knocking down...was a safety precaution! In a fire, you stay close to the ground, am I right? And when I ran out that door, I was not leaving anyone behind! Oh, quite the contrary! I risked my life making sure that exit was clear.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Hannity's fantasy was so absurd I was embarrassed for him. Is Trump's dementia rubbing off on him? Geez. IF the shooter hadn't been 400 yards away, and IF the shooter hadn't been on the 32nd floor, and IF the shooter was changing his clip WHILE being close enough for Hannity to shoot... Please, Sean-Boy, just shut it.

On a happier note, I loved Trevor's bit  about the Middle Eastern Trump guy wanting the travel ban just so his relatives couldn't bug him for money.

Hannity is a classic example of a member of the media elite who has no real understanding of guns in the real world. But I guess he doesn't count because he parrots the NRA line. And yes I loved Trevor's bit too. His accents and imitations are amazing and probably one of my two favorite aspects of his Daily Show work along with his interviews.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, peeayebee said:

And then Trump tossing paper towels to people in the crowd. First off, paper towels? .... Second, who was in that crowd? I have to believe that they weren't just brought in willy-nilly from off the streets. They'd have to have been individually picked out so as not to embarrassed Precedent Thin-Skin.

Answering my own question: I just read this WaPo article, a Tale of Two Puerto Ricos -- What Trump saw — and what he didn’t. Trump's stop was the city of "Guaynabo, a wealthy San Juan suburb known for its amenity-driven gated communities that was largely spared when Hurricane Maria hit nearly two weeks ago." Looks like the paper towel event was in a church.

After the neighborhood tour in Guaynabo, Trump traveled to the nearby Calvary Chapel, an evangelical church that’s especially popular with conservatives and mainland Americans who have moved to Puerto Rico.

Trump continued into the church, where he was greeted by several dozen church members and others who cheered his arrival. A few people in the crowd shouted that they loved him or held signs that read: “Proud Americans,” “Let’s Make Puerto Rico Great Again” and “God Bless You, Mr. President.” At least one person wore a red “Make America Great Again” hat.

So, yes, definitely a Trump-friendly venue was chosen.

• Love 3
On 10/5/2017 at 7:51 AM, peeayebee said:

And then Trump tossing paper towels to people in the crowd.

The phrase 'Mad Max' was trending on Twitter shortly after that news was reported, because of this excellent tweet:

Trevor's repeated incredulous question 'Who IS this guy?' always makes me laugh/weep.

• Love 3

Was anyone aware TDS took the show on the road to Chicago? First I heard of it.

I was just in Chicago two months ago to attend a soccer match, my second trip to the Windy City. Love the town. Great vibe, great food (Giordano's deep dish pizza, Maxwell Street polish sausage, Garrett's cheesy popcorn, etc.). I never once felt I was in a war zone similar to the Middle East. Never once felt scared for my safety. The people there were very nice and friendly and weren't afraid to offer help if you asked them. And that was especially true with the African American populace. So it's good Trevor pointed out that the likes of Drumph and the right wing noise machine were twisting and distorting the truth about Chicago and why. To make White Americans scared about black people with guns shooting everywhere and to tie all this up as being Obama's fault, as if his presidency was an abject failure.

Will we see a weekend late night visit to the Weiner Circle?

24 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

Loving The Chicago week thus far, but having no desk is a bit weird.

It was different, but unique. Trevor approached it like a stand up comedian and not a news anchor delivering satire (I want to say "fake news" but that title has become so bastardized).

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Victor the Crab said:

Was anyone aware TDS took the show on the road to Chicago? First I heard of it.

I was just in Chicago two months ago to attend a soccer match, my second trip to the Windy City. Love the town. Great vibe, great food (Giordano's deep dish pizza, Maxwell Street polish sausage, Garrett's cheesy popcorn, etc.). I never once felt I was in a war zone similar to the Middle East. Never once felt scared for my safety. The people there were very nice and friendly and weren't afraid to offer help if you asked them. And that was especially true with the African American populace. So it's good Trevor pointed out that the likes of Drumph and the right wing noise machine were twisting and distorting the truth about Chicago and why. To make White Americans scared about black people with guns shooting everywhere and to tie all this up as being Obama's fault, as if his presidency was an abject failure.

Will we see a weekend late night visit to the Weiner Circle?

It was different, but unique. Trevor approached it like a stand up comedian and not a news anchor delivering satire (I want to say "fake news" but that title has become so bastardized).

Yeah him being a standup comedian helped. I was actually shocked they used clips during the A block.

34 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I didn't know either. I was wondering why they were doing the Ferris bit. 

Trevor was spot on though. Obama isn't a real American except when he's from Chicago (it's his home town!) 

I saw mentions of it the last week or two.

• Love 1

I know I am from IL and I should like Chicago Style thick crust pizza.  But I don't -- so seeing Roy's piece on that was frackin' hilarious.  :)

Reminded me of Jon's takes on it in the past.

• Love 2

I hate deep dish pizza, so Ronny cracked me up.  "This looks like me eating pizza, throwing it up into a bread bowl, and then leaving it out in the sun to dry."  I can recite huge chunks of The Shawshank Redemption verbatim while watching it, so I liked the parody, too.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

I'm loving Chicago week.

I lived in Chicago in the 1980s and it was good to see a positive treatment of the place (deep dish pizza aside).

The prison pizza really did look great, and I liked what they had to say about investment rather than just warehousing people.

• Love 2

I think I ate at those exact locations Ronnie was standing outside of. But he forgot to mention Maxwell Street polish sausage, the asshole!

Ronnie's a brave (foolish) person for physically destroying those deep dishes on Chicago soil. But, as someone who considers pizza their kryptonite, I don't get the hate. Chicago deep dish and New York thin crust are like apples and oranges - unhealthy apples and oranges to be sure. They should both be appreciated and enjoyed just as is. There are many different types of pizza across America. New Haven style, Detroit style, St. Louis style. I'd imagine the birthplace of pizza, Naples, would be looking at all this and going YEEAUCK, THEY'RE ALL GARBAGE!!!

8 hours ago, brgjoe said:

Reminded me of Jon's takes on it in the past.

If Jon were watching that, he'd give Ronnie a slow clap.

2 hours ago, Brandi Maxxxx said:

What if people start committing crimes just to get some prison pizza?

OK Chicago, I'm coming to rob your banks, alert the police!!!

• Love 5

Loved Trevor's opening standup.

Ronny's deep-dish pizza excursion was hilarious, particularly when he was destroying each pizza. I loved him punting on of them. I also loved when the story pivoted into the real point, that the prison has that program teaching inmates skills for life outside. The story then pivoting into a Shawshank parody was excellent.

That pizza looked good. It would be great if a couple of ex-cons opened their own pizzeria. 

Out here in LA is Homeboy Industries, which supports and trains ex-cons and ex-gang members. I love their tortilla chips. Plus it makes me feel good for buying them.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Ronny's deep-dish pizza excursion was hilarious, particularly when he was destroying each pizza. I loved him punting on of them. I also loved when the story pivoted into the real point, that the prison has that program teaching inmates skills for life outside.

I'm not a fan of deep dish. If I was invited for a night out and we're going to have deep dish, I'm not going to pooh-pooh it. I'm not going out of my way for it though. We have a New York style local place here that I order from all the time, and I've turned all the students onto it. You're supposed to pick it up and fold it. 

But it was a good piece because I wasn't expected to flow into the prison program. Aside from the hilarious chef ripping apart the pizza, it was really informative. The show is doing a great job of highlighting these important programs, and I think it is a strong counterpoint for the clips they showed on Monday about Chicago being some kind of urban war zone. It's really insulting to all these people trying to do good and help others. 

No one really "pooh-pooh"s anything anymore. We need more pooh-pooh-ing. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Out here in LA is Homeboy Industries, which supports and trains ex-cons and ex-gang members. I love their tortilla chips.

They are the best chips!  And I love that you can just go buy them at Ralphs.

I love that the interviews and the street segments have been focused on the people and programs working on Chicago's problems.  I love that night one started out by just blowing apart this ridiculous narrative that Chicago is more dangerous than a Middle East war zone -- Start with the "Um, people?  Number of murders is not what determines level of danger, it's the per capita murder rate" refresher course, list off a bunch of cities with higher rates, and wonder, then, why it might be that Chicago is Republicans' focus.  Cue montage of Fox fuckwits braying about Obama "couldn't even keep his own city safe."

Then in the midst of jokes about rats and pizza, we're getting a look at the people/programs making a difference.  I think it's great.  It's revolting that the rehabilitation aspect of our prison system has been largely abandoned to focus on the punishment prong of incarceration - a system that doesn't help the incarcerated, or the society they will be released back into - so I appreciate any time a prison program teaching inmates skills (and treating them like human beings) is spotlighted.  I'm enjoying this Chicago week a lot so far.

I'm not a fan of deep dish. If I was invited for a night out and we're going to have deep dish, I'm not going to pooh-pooh it. I'm not going out of my way for it though.

Thick crust I can suffer my way through, but deep dish is "Thanks, I'll just have a salad and some wings" time. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

We actually got standby tickets to last nights taping and made it in! Pretty sure that's because the Cubs were playing!

Michelle miming the wall of dicks was hilarious.  We actually had to film her entrance twice (we did it near the end of the taping)

During the "commercial breaks" Trevor remained on stage unless they were prepping the set and continued talking to us. 

Trey, the kid they featured in YCA clip the was in the audience. 

It was super fun! I did have to watch the show- because you could not hear anything when we were cheering. 

• Love 13

Just because I enjoyed them so much -- this week's intros:

Frooooomm Chicago:

• The home of a man who could almost do the splits.
  • America's leading manufacturer of black presidents.
  • A city with a giant, bean-shaped mirror that people seem to be into.
  • The city that's too good for normal pizza.
  • Love 7

These shows from Chicago have been great. I'm digging the lack of desk, the walking around like doing a comedy special. Trevor's monologues have been great, and I also loved Michelle's and Hasan's.

I loved Trey. 

Terrific week.

• Love 4

Huh. It's weird because Chicago is a war zone worse than the Middle East. But there's tons of people in Chicago trying to do right and extending their hand in mercy to lift people up who just need a break. It's almost like people are using "Chicago" as a means to an end to make everyone think it's this terrible and scary place. That can't be right though because that would be unethical and not fair to all the people in the city trying to do right. 

A comedy show aired just 80 minutes and found such tremendous good and caring. And all that in the middle of a total war zone. 

• Love 10

I also wanted to say that I agree with Trevor re Trump saying "He knew what he signed up for". Trump just doesn't know how to speak with empathy or intelligence. I think it's easy to take offense at the phrase, but I'm sure he was trying to express sympathy. He just doesn't know how. It was an expression that popped into his head, and he used it unthinkingly. I kind of wish Rep Wilson hadn't brought it up.

I loved Trevor showing Trump acting like a petulant child who won't apologize. Because, well, that's exactly what he's like. Exactly.

• Love 6