Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0: Season Three Talk

• Start Topic

Roy's disdain of the t shirt because it didn't say 'police' on it cracked me up. Seriously though, he says to the guy, "So only 5% of your arrests were undocumented workers? Sounds like you have a citizen problem and not an immigrant problem." And the guy really had no answer? 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, ganesh said:

Roy's disdain of the t shirt because it didn't say 'police' on it cracked me up. Seriously though, he says to the guy, "So only 5% of your arrests were undocumented workers? Sounds like you have a citizen problem and not an immigrant problem." And the guy really had no answer? 

Roy flipping the statistic on that guy was my favorite part of the segment, even if it's maddening that these things are happening precisely because people like that don't have answers to questions like that but don't care that they don't.

I also loved Trevor's bit about Russians learning how to smile.  I remember they did a very similar joke before, about a picture of Trump and Putin where Trevor said it looked like Putin was learning how to smile by watching Trump - "It's like dog, yes?  It's like wolf, but no bite?"  Loved it then, loved it again now.

• Love 4

One thing they didn't point out was how the cop was a baseball coach too. I'm thinking that more community involvement like that also is quite a help to the police. 

• Love 4
On 6/17/2018 at 8:57 AM, ganesh said:

One thing they didn't point out was how the cop was a baseball coach too. I'm thinking that more community involvement like that also is quite a help to the police. 

I think him being as baseball coach has little to do with him being an officer.  I think he just knows baseball.  High schools aren't going to hire a coach because he's an officer, they're going to hire a coach because they know what they're doing.  YMMV

*sigh* At least the sports segment wasn’t depressing as fuck. Also, I like how Roy can play asshole with Ronny, and nicer guy with Michael.

I don’t want to get int a huge debate on which politician satrist has the toughest gig. In Trevor’s case, he does four shows a week, and he’s doing that in a political environment where Jon Stewart is a genius for bailing when he did.

• Love 2
On 6/16/2018 at 11:44 PM, scarynikki12 said:

Roy is so much fun in his field pieces. I love that the cop barely kept his laughs contained until Roy had him speak Spanish in front of his players. 

Agreed. And I've liked that they seem to be doing more of them lately. The only downside is I'm a little afraid that the increase is the prelude to him being the next Daily Show correspondent to get his own show and be cancelled after a couple years just when he's hitting his stride...

• Love 2

Once again: depressing shit offset by hope. In this case: Wilmer Collins, an African refugee who now serves as mayor of Helena. Poor Roy . . . it took all he had to keep his head from exploding. Also, the president hugs a flag, and Fox News are enablers. ?

• Love 1

The TCA nominations are out and TDS is again ignored for sketch/variety show. Are Bee, Kimmel, Oliver, Meyers, Colbert and SNL all doing better work than Trevor? That's not a slam on any of them, but I genuinely don't understand what critics aren't seeing in TDS. Is it simply that Trevor is "not Jon"?

I also kind of don't know how people can compare quality between shows that are on once a week vs four or five. This is not like the Emmys where voters are given one episode to judge.

Criminy.

• Love 6

“Womp womp.” I think the phrase “I can’t even” was created just for that moment. Plus side: Michael Kosta and Trevor roasting the hell out of Stephen Miller. I think Michael needs to lose the Venn Diagrams, but that one was funny.

• Love 1

All 3 overnight shows I watch--TDS, Seth Meyers, Colbert--said it was "womp womp", but I thought he was saying "wah wah" like "boo hoo". Because, while remaining completely unconscionable, that at least made sense in the context.

• Love 2

I had read about the Starburst Outburst before Trevor did his bit on it. Un-f'ng-believable. He's a toddler, constantly throwing tantrums. I'm so ashamed for our country. However, I did love Trevor saying Trump took back one candy, saying, "I only meant to give you one. Num num num num num num num." Trevor miming Trump eating is fantastic.

I'm finding that I rarely, if ever, enjoy Desi's pieces. I don't know what it is about her. IIRC, I enjoyed her when she first started appearing. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/21/2018 at 8:55 PM, ganesh said:

No, it's the sad trombone sound.

I associated that with an episode of Archer . . . and I'm wondering (sticking with Archer) if the walking piece of shit wishes he could have played the "fail" music from The Price is Right. I mean . . . even if he knew that the girl with Down's Syndrome was entirely imaginary, you'd think he'd have rock-solid evidence of that, just so he doesn't look like a complete fuck.

Oh, and tuba in my head equals Uncle Ruckus from The Boondocks. And that's why I can be annoyed by tubas.

Anybody else see the GEICO commercial with Roy?

Edited by Lantern7

Trevor going "Num num num num num num num" is never not funny. More of that is needed.

I would gladly go back to the black and white era where televised political debates were dull and boring and had considerable amounts of substance, like what we saw between William F. Buckley and guy with dark rimmed glasses smoking a pipe that I have no idea who he was, rather than the daycare center gone to Hell that passes for political debate on cable TV news networks.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I still get a kick out of Trevor saying "whoosh" when he turns in his chair.

I like that and the Ooh jar when the audience gasps at him.

For those who enjoy Trevor's mimicry, here's a Between the Scenes clip where he deploys a French accent.

• Love 4

I must confess to the fact that I have never watched an episode of this show, and had never heard of Trevor Noah until I looked for this thread.

However, I popped in to say that my extremely liberal Democrat nephew - who has the same name as the current vice president - has taped a segment to be on TDS within the next month (he doesn't have an air date yet).  Let's just say that he hates having the same name . . . especially when he goes into his neighborhood bar and the bartender yells, "Good evening, Mr. Vice President!"

Hopefully, the segment will be interesting.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Let's just say that he hates having the same name . . . especially when he goes into his neighborhood bar and the bartender yells, "Good evening, Mr. Vice President!"

Hee! I hope it's Roy doing the field piece.

I feel like refusing service to Sanders could end up more trouble than it's worth as Trevor showed some of the backlash. Although I hope the restaurant gets mad business. On the other hand, it's also kind of self-inflicted on Sanders part too. 

I absolutely love how D.C. staffers can't get dates though (#Trumpcels).

Trevor pointing out how Trump always just makes fun of how people look (in this case the restaurant) was a good point. He's just a low rent bully.

• Love 5

I thought it was an absolutely hilarious idea to treat Sanders the same way she treats the media: just flat out lie to her by bringing her an empty plate and claiming there's food on it. "Well the chef said there's food on it so it must be true." LOL. 

I'd never seen Dulce Sloan before, is she new? I really enjoyed that segment. I only catch this show once in a blue moon anymore, so I'm glad I tuned in for this one.

• Love 2
(edited)

Noah said The Red Hen is a chicken place. That's not entirely true. Chicken may be on the menu, but that's not what it's known for. Unfortunately now it's known as the restaurant where Sarah Huckabee Sanders and her party were asked to leave by the owner, but The Red Hen is a restaurant that serves menu items from locally sourced meat, vegetables and grains. Unfortunately, the farms that are supplying The Red Hen's food are being targeted by unhinged lunatics who think that Sarah Huckabee Sanders was asked to leave because she was white, Republican and Christian. No, she was asked to leave (and did so without making a fuss) because there were servers on staff who were opposed to waiting on her table because she supports and defends the policies of the current President.

The true chicken place in Lexington, Virginia, is Kenney's, which has been selling greasy great fried chicken for years.

Edited by mmecorday
grammar
  • Love 2

Oh.My.Lord. Those people getting all excited over Space Force were head-slappingly stupid, and I don't like calling people stupid. Trump is infallible to them. They aren't sheep but lemmings because they're going to follow him off a cliff. And they would if he said so! 

• Love 5
(edited)

I have to say that at this point "TDS correspondent going to Trump rally" (or any show really) for comedy is kind of played out. However, I was amused that Costa went with the space force issue. And the guy who said, "yeah we don't need it and it's going to cost a lot but it's cool" was funny and sad. It's predictably appalling too that the mob started chanting "lock her up." 

I'm not a fan of the "agree to disagree" when it pertains to people's lives. That's a sports argument - we can agree to disagree whether Jordan is better than LeBron. I'm also not clear in the clips Trevor showed about the response to Sanders being asked to leave from the restaurant what wasn't "civil" about it? I'm glad Trevor pointed out the incredulity of only protesting 9 to 5, and then showed the clips about MLK. What I got from that was basically "don't protest where we can see it because it makes us feel uncomfortable." Isn't that the point? 

I also don't like this whole false narrative about how this is all "uncivil" as they were whining about in the clips. No one is being verbally abusive, threatening physical violence, and these are all taking place in public spaces. I don't know if I'd actually say something myself, but I could easily see myself just leaving if I was at a restaurant where Sanders was, and I would totally tell the server, "sorry, I just can't be here right now." 

I thought the interview was excellent and some of Trevor's best work. Clinton's response to all the "uncivility" was actually well done, and I liked the example of how he dealt with the guy who called him a spoiled brat on television. I was surprised he actually asked Clinton about the interview where he blew up at the journalist. 

Who else could totally see Night Dentist as a real show? 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 7

I thought the interview was excellent and some of Trevor's best work. Clinton's response to all the "uncivility" was actually well done

I particularly appreciated pointing out the hypocrisy of the administration crying for civility despite the well known uncivility of their leader. In Clinton's own words, if you want more civility, stop the name calling and lead by example. 

Who else could totally see Night Dentist as a real show? 

Well, his tag kind of irked me because it was something like "the lights go down and the cavities come out." Cavities don't "come out." They get filled. :-)

I have to say that at this point "TDS correspondent going to Trump rally" (or any show really) for comedy is kind of played out. 

It's an easy laugh but not particularly useful at this point. Supporters will look at that footage and simply agree with whatever moronic things these people are saying. Nobody is learning anything here.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ganesh said:

I have to say that at this point "TDS correspondent going to Trump rally" (or any show really) for comedy is kind of played out. However, I was amused that Costa went with the space force issue. And the guy who said, "yeah we don't need it and it's going to cost a lot but it's cool" was funny and sad. It's predictably appalling too that the mob started chanting "lock her up."

I'm awesome with it. It's a mix of evil and ignorance, with maybe a few hipsters going ironically. Those people need to be clowned all the damn time.

• Love 4

The common theme between the current news clips and the MLK clips that Trevor showed was basically, the "they're doing it (protesting) the wrong way; i.e., where I can see it and not somewhere else where I wouldn't be." It's remarkable how consistent that was in clips that are essentially 60 years apart. Sure the words were slightly different (and weirdly erudite from the southern racists" but it's very much in line in terms of what they were fundamentally saying. 

3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm awesome with it. It's a mix of evil and ignorance, with maybe a few hipsters going ironically. Those people need to be clowned all the damn time.

It's getting to be loooow hanging fruit though. I concede I didn't see the space force angle coming, so I suppose if the correspondents are coming in just clowning then it's not that big a deal. I just find the mob to be very typical and predictable at this point. It's not like that demo is watching this show anyway either. 

• Love 1

At this point, I'm really tired of having to see a Drumpf rally (that he holds to avoid doing any real hard work) where the Grating Pumpkin is throwing rancid red meat to his sycophantic stupids and they're gobbling it all up. It's like a horrible God awful movie that keeps getting played over and over again without any change. And the latest field piece from last night was made worse as it was covered by Michael Kostas, who has to be my least favourite TDS correspondent, ever!

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

In Clinton's own words, if you want more civility, stop the name calling and lead by example.

Not happening. Not when you have the entire right throwing all sorts of manners out the window and acting like brats, with Drumpf leading the charge, and then accusing the left of being temperamental triggered snowflakes who need to grow up, and there's no calling them out on their hypocrisy from the Liberally Biased Mainstream Media™. But when the left push back a little bit, then the same LBMaMe™ WILL call them out, shaming them and telling them to grow up. There's some serious problems right there.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Well, his tag kind of irked me because it was something like "the lights go down and the cavities come out." Cavities don't "come out." They get filled. :-)

True. But I am aware of at least a few instances of cavities not getting filled until after coming out...

(edited)
13 hours ago, ganesh said:

It's getting to be loooow hanging fruit though.

I'm okay with Trevor and his people getting on their stomachs to pick up that fruit. I don't know what that says about me, though.

ETA: Usual mix of depression and hope. Bonus: Poncho the dog showing off CPR skills. So cute. In case you missed it . . .

Edited by Lantern7

Pence's little speech in Brazil was absolutely chilling. This is a good reason why I don't really want Trump impeached. We'll get this guy. And, no, Pence, you're not speaking from my heart. 

What I don't get is that he keeps harping on people coming here illegally. People are coming here to claim asylum, and that's within the purview of the law. I understand that not everyone who claims asylum will qualify, but that's for the immigration court to decide, and getting a hearing is also part of the law. 

I also enjoyed the discussion with Costa about 'uncivility' leading to a 'Trump slam dunk'. I don't necessarily think *more* people will flock to Trump as they were saying on the clips Trevor showed. The headline I do think is correct - supporters are digging in harder for sure. So Trevor brings up a good point - what's there to lose? The only issue I have is that I'm concerned that there's enough people who will see what's going on and say both sides are "just as bad" which is demonstrably false, but it could lead to them just not voting, which, in turn, would make the Trump vote count for more than it's worth. 

So is the young woman who won in Queens have an actual shot at winning the seat in Congress? I'm all for diverse voices in congress, and we all know that's woefully lacking, but I'm not seeing ICE being abolished anytime soon. 

Trevor singing and crying had me in stitches. I was dying. 

• Love 4

I’ve decided Night Dentist specializes in vampires, and I would watch that show.

I think civility is important when people disagree.  The thing is when some people call for civility what they really mean is that they just want you to shut up and go away.   

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

So is the young woman who won in Queens have an actual shot at winning the seat in Congress? I'm all for diverse voices in congress, and we all know that's woefully lacking, but I'm not seeing ICE being abolished anytime soon. 

Trevor singing and crying had me in stitches. I was dying. 

Yes, she is a Democrat in a very Democratic district.  The party establishment may be pissed about losing a Very Important Guy, but they aren't going to sabotage their own party's candidate, especially when they have a shot at taking the House.

And as I just heard her say in her interview with Chris Hayes (from last night), NY State primary elections are structured to protect the party machine - that this upset happened anyway should be a very clear signal to the party.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ganesh said:

Pence's little speech in Brazil was absolutely chilling. This is a good reason why I don't really want Trump impeached. 

I know, but I still want Trump impeached. 

What I don't get is that he keeps harping on people coming here illegally. People are coming here to claim asylum, and that's within the purview of the law. I understand that not everyone who claims asylum will qualify, but that's for the immigration court to decide, and getting a hearing is also part of the law. 

I don't get this either. They don't even have to be outside the border to ask for asylum. It's all just a sickening, scary, shameful situation.

• Love 3

Pence's speech is more to the base to obfuscate reality to paint a picture of 'illegals' overrunning the border and drum up fear. He said it flat out in the speech - we don't want you here. 

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

So is the young woman who won in Queens have an actual shot at winning the seat in Congress?

The ONLY New York City district that goes Republican is Staten Island. Otherwise, we're as blue as an ocean. (mind you, I'm not talking about the state, most of upstate is red)

Honestly, she's a good choice for the district . I think she'll have the voice of the people she represents.

• Love 2

It's an easy laugh but not particularly useful at this point. Supporters will look at that footage and simply agree with whatever moronic things these people are saying. Nobody is learning anything here.

I think it’s fair to assume that his supporters are lost causes.  These segments aren’t for them.  It’s for everyone to their left, some of whom are confused.

I’m not tired of these pieces.  They’re funny and they help me understand how they’re thinking.  Most of their positions I know but I’ve been utterly perplexed by the space force thing. It’s just as ridiculous and unnecessary as I suspected.

• Love 1

I can understand the appeal of "Space Force!"  It reminds them of the time when Americans were walking on the moon, that magical past when everything was simple and we were the bestest country in the whole wide world -- at least for people like them, mostly, sort of.

• Love 1