Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E14: Jobbed

• Start Topic

Still listening but Sarah's "your mom, a Tarheel from North Carolina because that's where that accent is from" cracked me up and made me laugh out loud for several minutes. I had to pause the podcast because I couldn't hear over my laughing.

• Love 1

I'm not wrong in thinking the show has been kind of all over the place regarding Val's father's death, am I?  I swear there were times when they made it seem like Val had a good relationship with her father, or at least were not suggesting the kind of behavior that eventually comes out. 

• Love 1

That Tarheel was actually Huell Howser. He was a MUCH beloved figure based on his local PBS show "California's Gold," a travelogue series. He passed away recently and it was truly devastating. He meant so much to Californians but Angelenos in particular. Although we all considered him a local, he was famously from Tennessee. I have NO idea why they'd cast him as a Minnesotan???

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huell_Howser

• Love 2

I was listening to this in the car, and "It might be an oral" prompted not one, but two Deadpan Buntsy Wows behind the wheel. 

And yeah, of course this show would have a guy being the harassee, because I'm pretty sure this writers' room was populated by Whedonesques who wouldn't dare to point a finger at one another. 

• Love 1

The hair is definitely better anyway; but, I think the pregnancy hormones are really working for Jennie Garth. She looks really pretty and definitely seems to have a glow despite all the snarling faces.

• Love 1

If this fellowship is being offered to students all over the country, why are they announcing the winners straight after the Californian interviews? Did the interstate students all have to fly in to one spot? And did the assessors not need to confer and consider their choice, or was Brandon's interview just that good?

• Love 1

Career and job fairs are still really popular in college. And grad school fairs.
The scholarship thing sounds super weird though. They would never announce them like that, especially not right away or in person. This show just makes everything up to meet its needs.

When I re-watched this episode a few months ago, I thought I had missed something during this and prior epi because Mark's behavior was so completely out of character.  But I didn't care enough to re-watch again...This Mark bears no resemblance to the person we were introduced to, and the switch was so abrupt.  However, I would be salty too if my significant other only came to see me after I lost something because I was an afterthought.  

On 8/21/2017 at 11:46 AM, Molly Cule said:

Brandon needs to keep my city's name, and the name of my beloved Twins, out his damn mouth. 

As a diehard STL Cardinals fan, I say pffffffft to Brandon using any of this for his advantage.

• Love 1
On 8/21/2017 at 1:16 PM, txhorns79 said:

I'm not wrong in thinking the show has been kind of all over the place regarding Val's father's death, am I?  I swear there were times when they made it seem like Val had a good relationship with her father, or at least were not suggesting the kind of behavior that eventually comes out. 

I don't think they came right out and said that they had a good relationship or that Val was grieving his death but I do think they implied it a fair amount.  However, they also did things like Val being perky and smiley in her first episode and not wanting to go back to Buffalo for winter break (these two examples are still in line with how people can behave while grieving a loss so that doesn't really disprove the implications).  Since they never bothered to delve too deeply into Val's relationship with her dad that does give them a loophole for the coming reveal.  We can just look at the implications and her sunny behavior as her both masking her happiness and celebrating his death. 

I love Kelly claiming she's going for her Masters.  Like any graduate program would accept someone who had to take Abnormal Psych four times.  That's a bad student right there and, while she (Daddy) can afford it, she would probably be an embarrassment to any school.

Kelly's "bet everyone that it's not me calling" line is probably her best line in the last half of the series. It makes me miss cool high school Kelly all over again.

Mark's "What?!" reminded me of the moment that made me like Faith Hill.

• Love 2

Like any graduate program would accept someone who had to take Abnormal Psych four times.

Not to mention someone who was so taken in by her psych professor that she joined his cult! 

I don't think they came right out and said that they had a good relationship or that Val was grieving his death but I do think they implied it a fair amount.  However, they also did things like Val being perky and smiley in her first episode and not wanting to go back to Buffalo for winter break (these two examples are still in line with how people can behave while grieving a loss so that doesn't really disprove the implications).  Since they never bothered to delve too deeply into Val's relationship with her dad that does give them a loophole for the coming reveal.  We can just look at the implications and her sunny behavior as her both masking her happiness and celebrating his death. 

I could swear there have been times during the show where Val has said things about her father, that even if she was covering up what had happened, seem absolutely bizarre and gross in retrospect, once everything is revealed.  I can't cite them, but I do feel like they did a rewrite at some point.   

I'll give the show and Brandon credit. Using sports in an interview is a pretty good route to go with. Works a lot more than people expect. 

Oh Kelly thinking she could get into her Masters. Oh dear.  

Edited by SoupThrower
11 hours ago, SoupThrower said:

Didn't she say something like 'If I pass, I'll try and apply for a Masters'? Pretty sure Masters programs generally look for better marks than "just scrapped through".

13 hours ago, helent said:
On 8/23/2017 at 7:38 AM, SoupThrower said:

Didn't she say something like 'If I pass, I'll try and apply for a Masters'? Pretty sure Masters programs generally look for better marks than "just scrapped through".

Doesn't Kelly tells Mariah, the angel chick from Texas, that she applied to or was accepted into Columbia for a master's program?  NFW.

Yea it's amazing . Kelly completely forgot about school when she was in the cult , didn't go to classes when she was on drugs .. but graduated with supposedly great grades and on time  . Okay .. 

On 8/24/2017 at 5:18 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

Yea it's amazing . Kelly completely forgot about school when she was in the cult , didn't go to classes when she was on drugs .. but graduated with supposedly great grades and on time  . Okay .. 

Oh, but, but ... SUMMER SCHOOL! Solves all problems, doesn't it. /Eyeroll. 

One thing that bugged me, and it's a small thing, was Tracy's drink order: "Vodka on the rocks, no fruit." Um, what? Why do you need to say "no fruit"?  Why isn't "Vodka on the rocks" enough? I mean, will the average bartender  get confused and think she ordered a screwdriver (OJ and vodka)? I think not. "on the rocks" is pretty clear you just want your liquor with ice in it. Yet another example of 22 year olds trying to act all "sophisticated" and it sounding stupid. I consider myself an amateur mixologist and I would never give someone fruit who asked for their alcohol "on the rocks." 

As for the Dryer, in light of it being, what 1996 and not 1957, listening to Brandon talk about the "Gender factor" as if it's such a hardship for the white male to compete with the Wimmens, made me barf here in 2017. And of course he didn't consider that some "darkie" might also impede his chances. Asshole. I just re-watched this episode after reading Ellen Pao's article in New York magazine and it made this whole storyline especially gross. The only real competition these two bozos had were each other. Really? I don't think so.

Speaking of gross, the whole "predatory single woman" harassing the man is just gross and lame and enraging. Because these poor men have to worry so much about these crazy single women on the loose. Yuck, yuck, yuck. This show is so problematic I'm not sure I'll be able to rewatch it much more into my old age. What a bunch of retro patriarchy bullshit. And Clare, cut the nastiness. If the genders were reversed you would be (rightly) accused of being verbally  abusive. If you think Steve is such a cock up, don't date him, but don't tear him down like that - it's not ok.

And Donna? A job fair is like the most low pressure place to look for a damn job, so yea, good idea to avoid it altogether. What an idiot she is. I remember when she was diagnosed with her learning disability back in season 1 or 2 and her parents thought she needed to marry rich because she was too dumb to take care of herself... well, way to prove 'em right, DONNA. Dumbass.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Klaw said:

The only real competition these two bozos had were each other. Really? I don't think so.

Speaking of gross, the whole "predatory single woman" harassing the man is just gross and lame and enraging. Because these poor men have to worry so much about these crazy single women on the loose. Yuck, yuck, yuck. This show is so problematic I'm not sure I'll be able to rewatch it much more into my old age. What a bunch of retro patriarchy bullshit. And Clare, cut the nastiness. If the genders were reversed you would be (rightly) accused of being verbally  abusive. If you think Steve is such a cock up, don't date him, but don't tear him down like that - it's not ok.

I always hate how in TV shows the competition is really just between two people.  Isn't there some overachieving woman who can kick both of these two in the butt?   I wish two other randos won instead, since we never hear of the scholarship again.  (is it for grad school? or it is retroactive for Brandon's undergrad?) 

Later on, I think Steve gets a spine and calls Clare out for being so mean to him.  It's some episode where she spills liquid on her computer but blames Steve.   This sound rude, but why would any woman need to hit on Steve so blatantly? She's fairly attractive- it's a college campus, can't she just go to a bar and find someone?  Maybe like John Sears?!

18 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

I always hate how in TV shows the competition is really just between two people.  Isn't there some overachieving woman who can kick both of these two in the butt?   I wish two other randos won instead, since we never hear of the scholarship again.  (is it for grad school? or it is retroactive for Brandon's undergrad?) 

Later on, I think Steve gets a spine and calls Clare out for being so mean to him.  It's some episode where she spills liquid on her computer but blames Steve.   This sound rude, but why would any woman need to hit on Steve so blatantly? She's fairly attractive- it's a college campus, can't she just go to a bar and find someone?  Maybe like John Sears?!

She probably knows his dad and looking to use him to get ahead? I don't know or because TV show. 

Clare was pretty horrible to Steve-o. Poor guy. She wasn't like this with David, so don't get the transformation there. 

On 8/28/2017 at 11:33 AM, CurlyATX said:

I was upset that Brandon won the scholarship. I doubt he aced the question about the bible.

• Love 1