Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: The Incident at Pound Ridge

How long has it been since the Hamptons discovery??  Especially since Charles did nothing to provoke him to his face.  

Another ep of one stupid thing after another.  I saw Irish stick her hand all the way in the "hottest" ramekin, and thought, "Tell her to wash her hands, Josh, in case she scratches her eye!"  Now, the whole situation was actually the most believable part of tonight's ep, but it was still...stupid.

Even accounting for my Charles/Liza 'shipperdom, I cannot care for his ex.  Just like Irish, it all feels too perfect somehow.

Why isn't the company feeling the ramifications of the loss of the George Martin-type character?  That feels dropped.

Missing Maggie.  Maybe that's why I didn't like this ep at all.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

smdh at Josh punching Charles. I knew Pauline would throw a wrench in the Charles/Liza romance. Also how much hot pepper juice was actually on his girlfriend's hand, that seemed unrealistic.

I don't think it's just that Pauline is a wrench in the Charles/Liza. Liza is editing Pauline's book. Liza will have to maintain some distance from Charles. Pauline is sort of back in the picture for the girls and Charles. Liza will have to tell him her age at some point. Empirical has lost Edward L.L. Moore. Charles is the boss. There may have to be layoffs. There is a bunch of shit that should put a damper on Charles and Liza.

Where the hell was this house? It's not the townhouse. Was it in the Hamptons? Or Westchester? Connecticut? Bergen County? How rich is Charles?

I love Lillet, so I'm inclined to love anyone who loves it too. I loved how Prena just shut down Kelsey editing Lachlan's book with a "no." Lachlan is also very much Kelsey's type--well-dressed, ambitious, douchey. Very much in the Anton Bjornborg vein. 

But seriously, what's going on with the Edward L.L. Moore and Empirical?

I did love how Liza continued to shut Pauline down about who Charles is dating. 

What's going on with Liza's divorce? 

Edited by HunterHunted
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

I don't think it's just that Pauline is a wrench in the Charles/Liza. Liza is editing Pauline's book. Liza will have to maintain some distance from Charles.

I don't understand why either of them thought it would be a good idea for Liza to edit the book. Especially Charles.

• Love 3

Diana's brief screentime wins all of the awards for that "how to not be a doormat" line. She is so underutilized. I wish she had more one-on-one mentoring moments with Liza (or Kelsey?).

Edited by rho
  • Love 14
19 minutes ago, retrograde said:

I don't understand why either of them thought it would be a good idea for Liza to edit the book. Especially Charles.

I understand why Liza would want to edit the book. She found it and she gets it. She can edit from both a millennial and 40 something woman perspective. However, needed to firmly tell Charles that whatever is between them is a no go for the immediate future. Charles has a 1000 reasons that he should have kept Liza far away from the book.

11 minutes ago, rho said:

Diana's brief screentime wins all of the awards for that "how to not be a doorknob" line. She is so underutilized. I wish she had more one-on-one mentoring moments with Liza (or Kelsey?).

I thought it was doormat. I wish Diana was able to be a mentor. I thought they might use her that way when she partnered up with Richard.

• Love 1

There was too much of Josh and his new squeeze in this episode. It was a surprise that Liza told Kelsey about kissing Charles (btw. did Charles even know that Josh was still in the picture when he kissed Liza in the Hamptons? He deserved that punch if he did, but otherwise its totally on Liza, especially since she kissed him first at the concert)

Pauline is so desperate. And honestly, what would it say about their relationship if Charles takes her back just because he can't have Liza?

WE NEED MORE DIANA, DAMMIT!

• Love 4

Ugh, there are too many layers of enmeshment in this show anymore.  A little is OK but it keeps cross-pollinating everyone with everyone else and every situation with every other situation.  It's starting to feel contrived.  We almost had a Josh book deal now and so of course he comes with his new squeeze to the picnic, who he was set up with by Liza.  And they're oh-so quickly acting like a couple even though they haven't even been able to get to second base yet.  And so of course he has to get a punch in at Charles.  Meanwhile Charles' ex, who Charles was just oh-so OK with giving a book deal to is invited to her old house, which I found mildly tacky and cringe-worthy.  Call me out of it, but I don't get how so much of this is just so OK with the characters.  Then maybe I do, it's called a soap opera.  I might as well be watching General Hospital.  But then again I was a big fan of that show back in the day so they got me!  LOL

Anyway, Charles' ex is sooooo desperate.  I think she is going to fantasize that Charles wants to get back with her, and she may even get somewhere with that, but as a result Liza's going to pull back with Charles.  Between him racing too fast with her, editing the ex's book about her marriage to Charles, and his ex trying to get him back, it'll prove too much for her.  So this is how the show will keep them apart for now.  Which sucks.  Couldn't they at least have some hot sex for those of us that are willing to suspend ethics to see them together FINALLY?  Ugggghhhh.  It's like they're making this the Niles and Daphne of the 2010's.  I just hope that by the time they get them together it's NOT anticlimactic and a snooze (like it was with Niles and Daphne).

Speaking of old '90s sitcoms, did anyone recognize Grant Shaud who played Miles in "Murphy Brown"?  He played Charles' friend Bob in the scene where Charles confesses to him that there's someone else.  It's nice to see him again.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

And they're oh-so quickly acting like a couple even though they haven't even been able to get to second base yet

Eh, thank goodness they didn't go all the way that night. He may have been in agony, but *she'd* have to be hospitalized.  And sedated!

Edited by voiceover
Burps in the editing process
  • Love 2

I am all for anyone who vetoes Josh's douchey hats but I seem to recall Kelsey wearing some douchey hats too so I feel like maybe she's not in any position to criticize other people for wearing douchey hats. Same goes for her advising Liza not to sleep with Charles. I mean, she's right about that but pot, kettle. Kelsey has slept with one of her married authors, signed an author who she was sleeping with, and then slept with an editor at a competing publisher which resulted in Empirical losing one of their hugest clients. Glass houses, Kelsey.

As soon as the waiter brought the three bowls of peppers out, I knew what was going to happen (so predictable!). I can't understand why anyone would pick up peppers with their fingers instead of using a fork. I thought Josh was being a dick for letting Claire drink water because that's Mexican Food/Spicy Food 101 - don't drink water! You have to drink milk to alleviate the burning. But of course that was the plot contrivance so that he wouldn't know what to do when his dick was burning later. Josh is lucky that he is roommates with Kelsey because you know his old roommate wouldn't have had a giant container of yogurt in the refrigerator. Hey, Claire, maybe think about washing your hands after eating and before fooling around. Maybe I'm just a germaphobe but I always wash my hands after eating.

At least (for now) Claire is being portrayed as smart and level headed in most other areas. She was right to tell him that all he had to do was make nice with Charles so that he can get a $10K advance. Even though adult coloring books are all the rage, he wouldn't be able to get a book deal anywhere else. This is only happening because Kelsey greased the wheels. He said he would do almost anything for $10K so time to put your money where your mouth is!

Ha, OF COURSE Diana doesn't like corndogs. On the one hand, I don't think that Liza is being a doormat for signing off on Kelsey's idea to have Josh do an adult coloring book (although FYI - there are already tattoo coloring books, Kelsey!) or defending him to Claire when she said he seemed like a pretty boy jerk. But on the other hand, I love that Diana is totally Team Liza and trying to protect her.

I really like Liza's summery dress at the picnic. I couldn't tell what the little yellow things were - flowers? Pineapples? Corn? I didn't love those blue wedges with that dress.

If money is so tight that Charles is selling off first edition books, maybe they can sell one of their huge expensive homes.

I wish Pauline would quit treating Liza like her middle school BFF who's trying to help her get her crush to ask her to the spring dance. No matter how much Pauline likes Liza, she needs to remember that Liza is (1) her book editor and (2) her ex-husband's employee.

Josh's hair is approaching the heights of Bob's Big Boy.

6 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Where the hell was this house? It's not the townhouse. Was it in the Hamptons? Or Westchester? Connecticut? Bergen County? How rich is Charles?

Pound Ridge is in Westchester County, about an hour away from NYC. It's just north of Connecticut.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I am all for anyone who vetoes Josh's douchey hats but I seem to recall Kelsey wearing some douchey hats too so I feel like maybe she's not in any position to criticize other people for wearing douchey hats. Same goes for her advising Liza not to sleep with Charles. I mean, she's right about that but pot, kettle. Kelsey has slept with one of her married authors, signed an author who she was sleeping with, and then slept with an editor at a competing publisher which resulted in Empirical losing one of their hugest clients. Glass houses, Kelsey.

Josh actually looks good in the douchey hats, tho. I know he's not a fave of many, but I just think he's so pretty.

As soon as the waiter brought the three bowls of peppers out, I knew what was going to happen (so predictable!). I can't understand why anyone would pick up peppers with their fingers instead of using a fork. I thought Josh was being a dick for letting Claire drink water because that's Mexican Food/Spicy Food 101 - don't drink water! You have to drink milk to alleviate the burning. But of course that was the plot contrivance so that he wouldn't know what to do when his dick was burning later. Josh is lucky that he is roommates with Kelsey because you know his old roommate wouldn't have had a giant container of yogurt in the refrigerator. Hey, Claire, maybe think about washing your hands after eating and before fooling around. Maybe I'm just a germaphobe but I always wash my hands after eating.

Yeah, it was way too easy to see where that was all going. And she'd NEVER had a jalepeno before, but the first two levels of heat didn't even faze her?

At least (for now) Claire is being portrayed as smart and level headed in most other areas. She was right to tell him that all he had to do was make nice with Charles so that he can get a $10K advance. Even though adult coloring books are all the rage, he wouldn't be able to get a book deal anywhere else. This is only happening because Kelsey greased the wheels. He said he would do almost anything for $10K so time to put your money where your mouth is!

I think they should still go forward with Josh's coloring book. Even Charles said he deserved the punch. If I were Claire, tho, I'd be pretty hesitant to go on with Josh since he's still so hung up on Liza that he'd throw away 10 grand just to punch the guy who kissed her.

I really like Liza's summery dress at the picnic. I couldn't tell what the little yellow things were - flowers? Pineapples? Corn? I didn't love those blue wedges with that dress.

According to this, it's tulips. https://wornontv.net/76912/

Hasn't Grant Shaud been on the show in a previous episode or two as Charles' friend?

Was the conversation between Pauline and Diana meant to be played for laughs? As if the idea that Charles could ever find Diana attractive is so ludicrous that Pauline could barely keep a straight face? She's so concerned that Charles is dating someone else, but not even an iota of her believes Charles would ever be into Diana?  I mean....Diana is kind of a ludicrous person on the surface, sure, and clearly Charles is NOT interested in her,  but she's accomplished, pretty, successful, intelligent.  It could happen. I would actually prefer Diana and Charles to Liza and Charles, who still don't do much of anything for me as a couple.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Anyway, Charles' ex is sooooo desperate.  I think she is going to fantasize that Charles wants to get back with her, and she may even get somewhere with that, but as a result Liza's going to pull back with Charles.  Between him racing too fast with her, editing the ex's book about her marriage to Charles, and his ex trying to get him back, it'll prove too much for her.  So this is how the show will keep them apart for now.  Which sucks.  Couldn't they at least have some hot sex for those of us that are willing to suspend ethics to see them together FINALLY?  Ugggghhhh.  It's like they're making this the Niles and Daphne of the 2010's.  I just hope that by the time they get them together it's NOT anticlimactic and a snooze (like it was with Niles and Daphne).

The ex is just written really poorly. She's so desperate but weird. She doesn't seem particularly sorry about having left her husband for a year. Like she seems confused that he's still upset by that. And then who would think that writing a tell-all book about your marriage would be the way to get back into your estranged spouse's life? It's a terrible plan from start to finish. 

And she just found photos of him with his ex? Wouldn't she have been googling him this whole time? It's all bizarre. 

• Love 5

What a mess

Why is every relationship on this show in hyper speed?

Josh just started seeing new girl (who I like a lot) BUT one date and now they feel like a couple (slow down)...but if this girl still likes him after that punch...I guess she's a winner

Liza...this show is about Liza but the last couple of episodes she has  taken a backseat and the show has suffered as a result in my opinion...

Pauline-Get OVER yourself...stop acting like this just happened to you...you left...if you want your husband back...then get real...tell him you made a major mistake and are still open to fixing it...

ARE they ever going to address Kelsey's mistake at work...one minute Charles may fire her and then she skips work and then it's NEVER mentioned again...what happened there...

Also the company was in trouble...what happened there?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

Was the conversation between Pauline and Diana meant to be played for laughs? As if the idea that Charles could ever find Diana attractive is so ludicrous that Pauline could barely keep a straight face? She's so concerned that Charles is dating someone else, but not even an iota of her believes Charles would ever be into Diana?  I mean....Diana is kind of a ludicrous person on the surface, sure, and clearly Charles is NOT interested in her,  but she's accomplished, pretty, successful, intelligent.  It could happen. I would actually prefer Diana and Charles to Liza and Charles, who still don't do much of anything for me as a couple.

I assumed that Pauline had already met Diane while she was still married to Charles and knew that Charles was not interested in Diane. We as viewers have seen their interactions and are aware of that, so Pauline could easily have made that same observation.

6 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Call me out of it, but I don't get how so much of this is just so OK with the characters.  Then maybe I do, it's called a soap opera.  I might as well be watching General Hospital.  But then again I was a big fan of that show back in the day so they got me!  LOL

Anyway, Charles' ex is sooooo desperate.  I think she is going to fantasize that Charles wants to get back with her, and she may even get somewhere with that, but as a result Liza's going to pull back with Charles.  Between him racing too fast with her, editing the ex's book about her marriage to Charles, and his ex trying to get him back, it'll prove too much for her.  So this is how the show will keep them apart for now.  Which sucks.  Couldn't they at least have some hot sex for those of us that are willing to suspend ethics to see them together FINALLY?  Ugggghhhh.  It's like they're making this the Niles and Daphne of the 2010's.  I just hope that by the time they get them together it's NOT anticlimactic and a snooze (like it was with Niles and Daphne)

I've thought soap opera with this show recently too! Especially with the way the are keeping Charles and Liza apart. My guilty pleasure back in the day was Passions and it reminds me of my favorite would be couple Sheridan and Luis. I don't even know if they ever officially became a couple because I lost interest in it. I already think Liza and Charles relationship has suffered this season. I liked the cute sweet interactions and connections, and aside from the Hemmingway "date" there hasn't been any of that this season. Part of the reason Charles' declarations of feelings are falling flat to me. I'm having a hard time believing he actually likes her. Actions/words. 

I knew Josh was going to punch Charles and thought it would be lame, but I actually thought it was funny. I laughed when Josh said, "Totally worth it!" Josh was always a really good boyfriend to Liza, and I just wish we could see Charles act a little like that to Liza. Just show us some affection/warmth. Pretty bummed how it's been playing out. :(

I am wondering if Pauline was still in the house when Liza came in and she and Charles kissed. Could be a plot twist where she knows but doesn't tell Liza she knows. I feel like there's going to be some twist there. 

• Love 2

I grew up in a village as remote as Irish girl and I've never set a foot into a Mexican Restaurant yet I know that a) water does not alleviate pepper burn - dairy's the way to go and b) wash your hands if you've touched raw peppers. (Also wash your hands before going -any- base if you've been out and touched who knows what, geez.)

Agreed that Diana's 'doormat' comment saved the whole episode. The rest has really slided from comedy to straight soap opera. I'm starting to wait for Charles' long lost twin who will go for half the company (and Liza obv.)

• Love 3
11 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I loved how Prena just shut down Kelsey editing Lachlan's book with a "no."

Ugh, I hated that. 

9 hours ago, retrograde said:
11 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I don't think it's just that Pauline is a wrench in the Charles/Liza. Liza is editing Pauline's book. Liza will have to maintain some distance from Charles.

Charles did ask Liza if she was okay working with Pauline, and Liza said yes. I know it was sort of a must-do situation, but I also think if Liza were truly uncomfortable with it, she'd have said so. Plot point, regardless.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ha, OF COURSE Diana doesn't like corndogs.

I died laughing. That tiny scene was the best part of the whole episode. I think the necklace Diana was wearing at the picnic was the biggest she's ever worn. It had to weigh a ton. I hope Miriam Shor has an excellent chirpractor/masseuse/physical therapist on call.

• Love 4

Miriam Schor definitely makes the most of those small moments. Her reaction to that corndog had me cracking up. It's also hilarious to see how different she is from her character in the inside the episode videos. She must have so much fun in this part. Heh, but I agree that her statement necklaces are getting bigger and bigger. She is probably putting some chiropractor's kid through college thanks to four seasons of those necklaces!

• Love 5

Josh's hair is approaching the heights of Bob's Big Boy.

LOL, THIS!!!

Pound Ridge is in Westchester County, about an hour away from NYC. It's just north of Connecticut.

It's just north of the notch of Fairfield County, CT, but not north of the whole state (just clarifying).  I used to go to the Ward Pound Ridge Reservation to hike and picnic a lot as a kid.  It's a relatively sparsely populated town, more often considered an ex-urb than a suburb of NYC.  I don't think there are more than 5,200 people living there and it's overwhelmingly rich and ethnically white (90%).  I used to go to a French Restaurant up there years ago in nearby South Salem.

• Love 1

Hasn't Grant Shaud been on the show in a previous episode or two as Charles' friend?

I binged the other seasons a couple of weeks ago, so I'll try to summarize what I remember.

Liza met Shaud's character when she and Maggie were dropping Caitlin off at college.  He was the dad of Caitlin's roommate or friend.  Then Liza was supposed to meet Charles to talk about one of their kisses.   When she showed up, she saw Shaud's character talking to Charles.  She hid from them, since he knew she had a college aged daughter then bailed.  Shaud's character had a short conversation where he warned Charles about dating his employee.  If he's been in more than that episode, I don't remember it.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I don't think it's just that Pauline is a wrench in the Charles/Liza. Liza is editing Pauline's book. Liza will have to maintain some distance from Charles. Pauline is sort of back in the picture for the girls and Charles. Liza will have to tell him her age at some point. Empirical has lost Edward L.L. Moore. Charles is the boss. There may have to be layoffs. There is a bunch of shit that should put a damper on Charles and Liza.

I love Lillet, so I'm inclined to love anyone who loves it too. I loved how Prena just shut down Kelsey editing Lachlan's book with a "no." Lachlan is also very much Kelsey's type--well-dressed, ambitious, douchey. Very much in the Anton Bjornborg vein. 

But seriously, what's going on with the Edward L.L. Moore and Empirical?

I did love how Liza continued to shut Pauline down about who Charles is dating. 

What's going on with Liza's divorce? 

Pound Ridge is in Westchester County.  Charles mentioned the house before, in the episode with Bobby Flay.

3 hours ago, Stuffy said:

I binged the other seasons a couple of weeks ago, so I'll try to summarize what I remember.

Liza met Shaud's character when she and Maggie were dropping Caitlin off at college.  He was the dad of Caitlin's roommate or friend.  Then Liza was supposed to meet Charles to talk about one of their kisses.   When she showed up, she saw Shaud's character talking to Charles.  She hid from them, since he knew she had a college aged daughter then bailed.  Shaud's character had a short conversation where he warned Charles about dating his employee.  If he's been in more than that episode, I don't remember it.

I only vaguely remember that (memory is the first thing to go and today's my 59th birthday).  I checked on IMDB and that's the only other episode where Shaud's character appears.

8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Miriam Schor definitely makes the most of those small moments. Her reaction to that corndog had me cracking up. It's also hilarious to see how different she is from her character in the inside the episode videos. She must have so much fun in this part. Heh, but I agree that her statement necklaces are getting bigger and bigger. She is probably putting some chiropractor's kid through college thanks to four seasons of those necklaces!

I was reading an interview with the costumer who was talking about her favorite costumes for the characters. One of the ones she picked for Diana was when she put a change purse around her neck as a statement necklace.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

smdh at Josh punching Charles. I knew Pauline would throw a wrench in the Charles/Liza romance. Also how much hot pepper juice was actually on his girlfriend's hand, that seemed unrealistic.

This has happened to me. My ex boyfriend loved making spicy salsa! I do think it would be worse for women than it might be for men so not sure yogurt would be needed for a guy but it was definitely realistic to me. 

Edited by fedek
quoted twice
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, luna1122 said:

she'd NEVER had a jalepeno before, but the first two levels of heat didn't even faze her?

She's from Ireland, there are Indian food places EVERYWHERE and there's plenty of heat to be had with that food. Tip: if you ever get the Vindaloo, order or bring a milkshake.

• Love 3
On 8/24/2017 at 5:45 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Same goes for her advising Liza not to sleep with Charles. I mean, she's right about that but pot, kettle. Kelsey has slept with one of her married authors, signed an author who she was sleeping with, and then slept with an editor at a competing publisher which resulted in Empirical losing one of their hugest clients. Glass houses, Kelsey.

I actually thought that was a moment of growth.  Kelsey is learning from her own mistakes, and trying to keep Liza from repeating them. I took it more as--I've learned it's going to cause a lot more problems than you realize, and it's not worth it.  I'm really hoping Kelsey doesn't go back to her old habits--she's been called out a lot on that recently, and agreed.  So I'm hopeful that she is maturing, and that the show lets her.

• Love 2

After watching this, I thought the best ending is for Liza to end up the head of a new publishing company - smart books for smart ladies -- and on her own. With the confidence she would get from this, she would be far too good for Charles or even Josh.  (Yes, I do have a soft spot for Josh but he is very young.  I can never look at Charles without thinking "he doesn't know how to pronounce Persil".)

• Love 1
17 hours ago, morakot said:

I can never look at Charles without thinking "he doesn't know how to pronounce Persil".

Why would you think his pronunciation is wrong? First of all, it's a German brand, so his accent actually is right and secondly, it is surely not him who decides how to pronounce the word but there is someone else who is responsible for that. 

• Love 1
On 8/26/2017 at 6:10 PM, seacharm said:

Why would you think his pronunciation is wrong? First of all, it's a German brand, so his accent actually is right and secondly, it is surely not him who decides how to pronounce the word but there is someone else who is responsible for that. 

I agree. Peter speaks German and no one hires or keeps a pitchman who mispronounces the brand name.

• Love 1

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:08 PM, morakot said:

I can never look at Charles without thinking "he doesn't know how to pronounce Persil".

I grew up in the UK and both saw the ads and used the product, and it was always Persil with an emphasis on the first syllable. So, yes, to me, it sounds wrong.

So all you are noticing is that an American actor promoting a German product doesn't use a British pronunciation?

I like the possibilities opened by the episode, but I'm not sure the show will follow up on any or all of them.  There were a lot of relationships /pairings tat had time today, though.  I like Josh and Kelsey as friends, and I like that Josh was so unapologetic about the punch, and Kelsey both knew why and to just get him out of there, and yell at him later.  And I like that Irish girl (I'm going to have to learn her name at some point--Claire?) was so even keeled while asking him about it and took his answer without getting crazy jealous or accusing him or being unfair/unfaithful to her.

On 8/17/2017 at 2:55 AM, BkWurm1 said:

Ha!  The description was actually accurate.  :D

It was big enough though to host that Hegge party and there's at least an office since that's where Liza and Hillary Duff's character were fighting.  I guess though if it didn't have a bed the couch was still the only option.  

I wasn't completely on Diana's side (he was an idiot but it had only been a night) until the moment she found the fleshlight.  So much EWWWWWWW!  

Diana was hilarious! Her facial expressions and blunt delivery crack me up. And yes, that was gross.  

And I know it was one night, but there's a difference between someone spending the night (weekend, week, or whatever) and staying at your home indefinitely.  So the whole idea of him staying there just turned her off. Plus, let's face it, she doesn't like when people are in her way. That kid is definitely in her way, on her couch, etc. 

On 8/24/2017 at 10:35 AM, MissLucas said:

I grew up in a village as remote as Irish girl and I've never set a foot into a Mexican Restaurant yet I know that a) water does not alleviate pepper burn - dairy's the way to go and b) wash your hands if you've touched raw peppers. (Also wash your hands before going -any- base if you've been out and touched who knows what, geez.)

Agreed that Diana's 'doormat' comment saved the whole episode. The rest has really slided from comedy to straight soap opera. I'm starting to wait for Charles' long lost twin who will go for half the company (and Liza obv.)

I didn't realize she said she didn't know about the peppers because of where she's from. I probably missed that. I just figured she didn't know. A lot of people who have never cooked with those kinds of peppers would probably just not think about it. 

On 8/24/2017 at 9:51 AM, dmc said:

What a mess

Why is every relationship on this show in hyper speed?

Josh just started seeing new girl (who I like a lot) BUT one date and now they feel like a couple (slow down)...but if this girl still likes him after that punch...I guess she's a winner

Liza...this show is about Liza but the last couple of episodes she has  taken a backseat and the show has suffered as a result in my opinion...

Pauline-Get OVER yourself...stop acting like this just happened to you...you left...if you want your husband back...then get real...tell him you made a major mistake and are still open to fixing it...

ARE they ever going to address Kelsey's mistake at work...one minute Charles may fire her and then she skips work and then it's NEVER mentioned again...what happened there...

Also the company was in trouble...what happened there?

Pauline seems way off to me. They try to make her sound intelligent but she seems obsessed with Charles, right down to showing up at Pitch Fest. And I agree she plays the victim. I get that she was unhappy with her life, but surely there's another way to handle that. Besides, she doesn't seem to be overly concerned about the girls and how all this affects them - just Charles. 

On 8/24/2017 at 9:48 AM, EdnasEdibles said:

The ex is just written really poorly. She's so desperate but weird. She doesn't seem particularly sorry about having left her husband for a year. Like she seems confused that he's still upset by that. And then who would think that writing a tell-all book about your marriage would be the way to get back into your estranged spouse's life? It's a terrible plan from start to finish. 

And she just found photos of him with his ex? Wouldn't she have been googling him this whole time? It's all bizarre. 

Very poorly. She's an odd character and I think the tell-all book is weird. No mention of the kids in this scenario, just what she gave up. I'm sure they could have compromised. Charles certainly isn't living that same lifestyle as a single dad, so surely they could have figured out a way for her to do more for herself like write or go to school and not leave the kids behind, maybe get extra household help like a college student who can help take the kids to & fro. She could have even added some writing retreats to the mix. So many options, but she chose the one she chose and her behavior now doesn't add up. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, love2lovebadtv said:

Diana was hilarious! Her facial expressions and blunt delivery crack me up. And yes, that was gross.  

And I know it was one night, but there's a difference between someone spending the night (weekend, week, or whatever) and staying at your home indefinitely.  So the whole idea of him staying there just turned her off. Plus, let's face it, she doesn't like when people are in her way. That kid is definitely in her way, on her couch, etc. 

I didn't realize she said she didn't know about the peppers because of where she's from. I probably missed that. I just figured she didn't know. A lot of people who have never cooked with those kinds of peppers would probably just not think about it. 

Pauline seems way off to me. They try to make her sound intelligent but she seems obsessed with Charles, right down to showing up at Pitch Fest. And I agree she plays the victim. I get that she was unhappy with her life, but surely there's another way to handle that. Besides, she doesn't seem to be overly concerned about the girls and how all this affects them - just Charles. 

Very poorly. She's an odd character and I think the tell-all book is weird. No mention of the kids in this scenario, just what she gave up. I'm sure they could have compromised. Charles certainly isn't living that same lifestyle as a single dad, so surely they could have figured out a way for her to do more for herself like write or go to school and not leave the kids behind, maybe get extra household help like a college student who can help take the kids to & fro. She could have even added some writing retreats to the mix. So many options, but she chose the one she chose and her behavior now doesn't add up. 

agreed pauline is OFF

The pepper scene was very expected.  Clair barely touches peppers one and two, just enough to snag one sliced pepper, then shoves her hand completely in pepper bowl three.  

The whole timeline between Charles and Pauline seems weired.  Their kids are still fairly young, Pauline could write/have a career before they had kids.  and they are rich, they could have hired a nanny or more help for Pauline.  and Pauline has only been gone a year?  Hasn't Liza been at Empiracle a year?  Diane seemed to act like she had been chasing Charles for some time before Liza started working there.

On 8/24/2017 at 10:34 AM, CAT19 said:

I knew Josh was going to punch Charles and thought it would be lame, but I actually thought it was funny. I laughed when Josh said, "Totally worth it!" Josh was always a really good boyfriend to Liza, and I just wish we could see Charles act a little like that to Liza. Just show us some affection/warmth. Pretty bummed how it's been playing out. :(

I didn't expect the punch, and I'm not a violent person, but damn if I didn't find that scene satisfying as hell. And then the slo-mo of Josh kicking off the potato sack and walking away angrily, so great. I agree that Josh has been a good boyfriend. I get why they probably wouldn't work long-term, and I'm slowwwwwly coming around to accepting Charles and Liza as endgame, but Josh did not deserve the way Liza treated him. I don't expect them to get back together, but I am invested in Josh as a character independent of Liza, and I'd like to see him happy.

I will give Charles credit though, he took it without being a douche. I think he understood where Josh was coming from.

On 8/24/2017 at 8:33 AM, luna1122 said:

Josh actually looks good in the douchey hats, tho. 

I love a man in a hat!