Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Betrayal

• Start Topic

So if J's mom had him at 16.  They means Pope is supposed to be 34?  The actor is older than that and he looks it.  I figured Graig and Deran were late 20's/ 30's and Baz and Pope were late 30's/early 40's

So did Lucy have Baz shot or are we supposed to think Jay did it?

If Baz can't trust Smurf, why did he believe her when she insinuated that Pope killed Katherine?

And why is it so easy to break into houses in shows and movies?  Nobody has an alarm?

• Love 1

Wow.  I liked how Baz/Pope kind of mirrored last week's Craig/Deran. I LOVED when Craig and Deran were eying their targeted genders at the beach. I have had that conversation! Smurf was really flailing from prison. I STILL do not have J figured out. He was more like a kid this episode than ever before. While I liked the "Baby Cody" teasing between J and Nicky, which was VERY high school,  I was surprised he was dumb enough to go along with her spree. OTOH, Lucy played Baz as an adult would and she totally blindsided him! Now if my speculation from last week about Renn is correct, we have a Trifecta of stupid. Smurf may have just kept these guys safe all these years! Can't wait for next season!

• Love 3

My guess is Lucy had Baz shot to get at the money in the wall.  The gunman missed her completely.  More then like lot was her brother.  

Again Baz was blinded by his own arrogance and jealousy.  He expected everything to go his way and when it didn't he acted out.

Smurf is right about Baz though.  He thinks he sees things clearly but he doesn't.   

• Love 6

So will Baz live?

Oh and Smurf being arrested for murder (even though she was set up). Wouldn't she be handcuffed and not be able to just walk around using pay phones?    

And can't and autopsy show that Javi was killed a long time before Smurfs gun was shot at him? 

• Love 3

This episode had me more shook than the recent finale of GOT.   The person that had me emotional was Pope - that guy is a mess.  It took me a second to realize that Pope emptying his shells meant that he wanted Baz to kill him - instead of 'suicide by cop' he wanted 'suicide by brother'. I loved that Baz didn't shoot him after finding out the truth. 

Craig wanting to leave town was rather abrupt - are the writers running out of things for his character to do?  I'll miss his hot druggy antics.

My god, why do I hate Nikki so much?  I had my fingers crossed that she would get shot during the home invasion, then after she did, I was praying that the bullet had hit an artery.  No such luck.  Also, still no confirmation on who's J's father - not sure who to believe here.

This cliffhanger leaves two questions:  Who set up Baz?: Lucy, Pope, J or Smurf?  I lean towards Smurf but also expect a twist.  

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 3

I think it was Lucy.  Kudos to previous poster (s) who warned us not to trust her.   Will be interesting to see Pope's reaction.

Why, oh why, is J letting Nikki make him look like he hasn't a brain cell in his head?  C'mon man !!!!!

Ewww - Smurf's got those "Pope" eyes.  The better to scare you with !!!

Craig's face looking through that door glass.  Priceless.

I want to adopt Deran.

• Love 7

I didn't trust Lucy, but I didn't see that ending coming at all! Baz better not be dead. 

I, too, was hoping they'd off Nikki. I really don't see what the point of her character is.

I thought this season started a little slow, but it still was another great season! The way they ended it sure is setting up S3 to be even better!

• Love 5

Guess the producers will be playing hardball during contract renegotiations for the next season. Baz is full of bullets, Smurf is in prison, Craig is headed for parts unknown, Nicky's DNA is all over that house she and J robbed, and for all we know Pope walked into ocean and kept going. The only ones who look for sure safe are J and Deran. Whee!

So now it's some unseen guy Smurf was working that fathered J? And no one told him because they didn't want him to know he was the product of rape?

If anyone's taking a vote, my money's on Lucy and Marco hitting Baz. She didn't want to be stuck raising his kid, plus she's got her own gang to run. Having Baz underfoot would be cramping her style. Odds are he'll survive, Smurf will get out of prison, and the family will reunite to take revenge on Lucy and her gang.

Great season-ender.

• Love 6

Nikki should have gotten shot in the head. She reminds me of Winnie Cooper from the Wonder Years in facial features only. 

Baz better be alive. 

Another awesome season.

Oh and I think it's without question clear that Lucy and her brother set Baz up with the scenes we saw. And the gunman looked the same proportions as her short brother.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 3

Something's gotta be done with that Lena.  She gets bounced around like a ball and I am a little sick of the drama surrounding who's gonna watch her.  Baz is shit, Pope is suicidal, forget Craig and Smurf, and Deran doesn't seem paternal at all.  It's time to write out her character somehow... in a nice way.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

And can't and autopsy show that Javi was killed a long time before Smurfs gun was shot at him? 

Sure but this ain't the instant science of CSI and since the cops know her they are liable to drag it out to the last minute using pre trial jail as the only punishment they get.

Totally didn't see that ending coming at all! I wish that old guy was a better shot. I would have cheered if he'd blown Nikki's head off. She's a useless skank and honestly adds nothing to the show. While I like to think that Baz was shot by Lucy's brother, that seems a little too pat for me. Loved this season and can't wait for season 3. I wonder if they will make us wait until next summer, I hope not. 

• Love 6

So no one thinks that was J in the black hoodie?

only problem...where was Lena?  Not at the Mai house, where Nikki is having her party...with Pope?

the school year seemed to have gone by pretty fast.  guess I completely misunderstood the passage of time.

2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

If anyone's taking a vote, my money's on Lucy and Marco hitting Baz. She didn't want to be stuck raising his kid, plus she's got her own gang to run. Having Baz underfoot would be cramping her style. Odds are he'll survive, Smurf will get out of prison, and the family will reunite to take revenge on Lucy and her gang.

This is my feeling too. Baz thinks he knows Lucy, but he doesn't. Once he showed her the money there was no way she wasn't going to cross him. Baz will survive and when he finds the stash is gone he'll know it was Lucy who arranged the hit.

I don't get the Nikki hate. In a way she's the only one not trying to manipulate J. Or at least her manipulations are pretty straightforward. Not the mind-fucking he's getting from Smurf and Baz. 

I think the Lena drama drags on everything else when she shows up. They should pack her off to someone from Cath's side of the family. 

• Love 1

In addition to Nikki leaving blood at the scene, J left fingerprints on the way out, assuming the old man has the presence of mind to tell the police that.  That won't end well.

Lucy was cold as ice, telling Baz that she couldn't stay there.  She was being honest, to be sure, but that's not what he wanted to hear, no doubt.  Her shock and surprise at the gunfire, though, sort of indicates that maybe she wasn't in on it, but had the presence of mind to grab Marco and go after the loot.  One possibility, anyway.  One thing it does mean is that all the brothers are out whatever cut they were expecting from that pile.

Who was the woman that Craig left with on the surfing roadtrip?

5 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

Wouldn't she be handcuffed and not be able to just walk around using pay phones?    

Yeah, I noticed that too.  A bit too much freedom; not every jail guard is corrupt.  That, and all outgoing calls are collect only, and they are monitored.

• Love 3

I must have the worlds most unpopular opinion of liking Nikki especially in this episode.  The way she actually tried to console J there for a minute and her half ass house robbing plan I found kinda endearing. I guess it's just me.  

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I must have the worlds most unpopular opinion of liking Nikki especially in this episode.  The way she actually tried to console J there for a minute and her half ass house robbing plan I found kinda endearing. I guess it's just me.  

You're not the only one, she is just Craig but has yet to obtain the criminal skill set and is learning.

5 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Who was the woman that Craig left with on the surfing roadtrip?

Isn't that Renn the woman who overdosed and Craig left to die but then got back after the party boat heist? Leaving poor Nikki to compare herself to the stripper body of Uncle Craig's normal women.

• Love 2

I don't hate the character of Nikki, but when you have a show with characters like Baz, Pope, Deran, Craig and Smurf, scenes with Nikki working out her high school angst seem superfluous.

So the question is:  who shot Baz?  Is it J or is it Lucy's brother?  I'm voting for Lucy and her bro.

With Baz critically wounded, Craig on a sabbatical and Smurf in the pokey, there might be a little time jump when Season 3 starts.

The most affecting scene of course, was Baz forgiving Pope.  Was Baz really forgiving or just gaining an ally in his war with Smurf?  The acting overall has been great, but Hatosy has been hitting out of the park consistently.

• Love 5

So, if Lucy set up Baz to steal the family's fortune ... is she just in a baby cartel? I mean, how much are we talking? If Baz is to be believed, it's roughly 14 million. I would definitely get rid of Baz for that much ... maybe she's kickstarting her own crew. 

I'm not as much of a Nicky hater as others, I just choose to ignore her. But man, last night. What does J. see in her? Love is BLIND in this family.  I hope J. is the spawn of some multimillionaire developer. I want him to buy Deran's bar and own that too!! Just like ... J. wins the Animal Kingdom monopoly game that's currently going on and is a thorn in everyone's side. They ignored him for 17 years, now they can't. But he might be a budding psycho. He's getting more scary than Pope. 

Why does everyone dislike Lena? First Baz, now Deran? She's a 6-year-old kid! 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, phrynefisher said:

I can only guess because her presence stops the boys parties or makes us guilty for admiring the parties when we think there is a lonely kid around the stuff.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, phrynefisher said:

I don't think anyone dislikes Lena.  She's just an interruption to the story line.  Worrying about who's going to watch her is out of place in a story about a crime family imploding. Craig saying that to Deran is just demonstrating his limited intellect.  I don't think Deran actively dislikes her, it's just an inconvenience.

Was I the only one who thought Pope shot Baz? I know it seems weird after he was begging Baz to shoot him, but Pope is so filled with rage and has deep seated hatred for Baz.  And he's borderline nuts!

Just a thought................

Edited by SuzieQ
12 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

So will Baz live?

Oh and Smurf being arrested for murder (even though she was set up). Wouldn't she be handcuffed and not be able to just walk around using pay phones?    

Ha,ha  you expect normalcy in any of these shows?  How about last weeks show, when Pope was highjacking cars and drive off, like the owners were dumb enough to leave their keys in the ignition. You can see he took right off as soon as he got in...it takes time to pull out the wires and zap them.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

I don't hate the character of Nikki, but when you have a show with characters like Baz, Pope, Deran, Craig and Smurf, scenes with Nikki working out her high school angst seem superfluous.

So the question is:  who shot Baz?  Is it J or is it Lucy's brother?  I'm voting for Lucy and her bro.

With Baz critically wounded, Craig on a sabbatical and Smurf in the pokey, there might be a little time jump when Season 3 starts.

The most affecting scene of course, was Baz forgiving Pope.  Was Baz really forgiving or just gaining an ally in his war with Smurf?  The acting overall has been great, but Hatosy has been hitting out of the park consistently.

Am I missing something? At the end of the show, they previewed what to expect in the next season...they showed Lucy and her brother knocking down the wall to get at Baz's bag of money. So he and Lucy had it all setup to shoot Baz. The idea of most here think it was J... it is not his style, especially if he thinks Baz might be his father.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

I don't think anyone dislikes Lena.  She's just an interruption to the story line.  Worrying about who's going to watch her is out of place in a story about a crime family imploding. Craig saying that to Deran is just demonstrating his limited intellect.  I don't think Deran actively dislikes her, it's just an inconvenience.

Was I the only one who thought Pope shot Baz? I know it seems weird after he was begging Baz to shoot him, but Pope is so filled with rage and has deep seated hatred for Baz.  And he's borderline nuts!

Just a thought................

It could have been Pope, J, Marco, or the recipient of Smurf's envelope. I suspect J.  Pope must have Lena with him...surely she is not at the graduation party or the bar; I do not think Pope would leave her in either environment. Marco and Lucy have no immediate need to steal the stash so as long as they have Baz.  But now that Baz is critically wounded, they have reason to retrieve the stuff.  I think Lucy may have feelings for Baz...but not so much as to risk getting caught by the cops in that driveway.  The other possibility is that Smurf hired someone...but since she tried to get Pope to take Baz out, I am thinking that money for Trujillo really was to keep her safe.  I hate to say it, but I think J did it.  

1) he is dressed in a black hoodie in the final scene

2) getting rid of Baz solves his immediate problems as holder of POA

3) it is revenge for being told about his mother's rape and his actual father in a cruel and threatening manner,

5) Baz's treachery has put J in an impossible position. Smurf may be mainly out for herself, and may ultimately betray J,  but thus far she is the only one in the family who has done anything at all to help him, either before or after Julia's death,

6) like Nickie, J is an angry, neglected kid who, on a day when his family should have been celebrating his achievements, has demonstrated complete and utter disinterest in him.  it is a shock to all of them to learn it is graduation day,

7) J solves his own problems, as in season one, and Baz's death would solve his problems though of course it means writing off the hidden stash...the only reason I can see that J may not have been the shooter.

I hope he used that throwaway gun he had hidden at the neighbor's. 

• Love 4

Even though I think I have set out a good case for J as the shooter, this show loves to spread red herrings.  So they will probably have the shooter be the kid kidnapped by Lucy or something!

Edited by lazylou
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, lazylou said:

Even though I think I have set try good case for J as the shooter, this show loves to spread red herrings.  So they will probably have the shooter be the kid kidnapped by Lucy or something!

Agree.  I am steering away from J, just because it seems like they want us to think that.

• Love 2

Storywise it makes more sense having the shooter be Lucy and her brother.   It gives the family an enemy and a reason to come together as a unit again.  It also shows that maybe Smurf has a reason to do all the dubious things she did.  Even Baz with all his brains could never see the big picture or do the things necessary to keep the family safe.    Smurf has been in jail for a few days/weeks and everything's is already falling apart.  

J shooting Baz does nothing for a The story but further a war but having Lucy be the one gives the Cody's a reason to forgive all sins and all jump back in with reckless abandon.

• Love 1

I don't think anyone set up Baz. I think someone came after Lucy - most likely in retribution for that kid her posse kidnapped. Her reaction to the shooting pretty much confirmed she had no idea it was going down. Yeah, she and Marco decided to take Baz's money but I think probably just so they could both get out of town, or else buy enough support to take out whoever came after her.

I hope the show knew it was getting renewed when they shot this finale because unlike Season 1, which ended with some closure, this one really left us hanging. 

Ugh, I really need someone to take out Nikki. I've said all along, she's going to be someone's downfall and she very nearly was for J. I wish the shooter had gotten her instead. She's just a huge liability - she's a reckless, blabber-mouthed druggie.

I can't figure out where they're going with all of this. Do they plan to keep Smurf in prison for an entire season, with her pulling the strings from behind bars? Not sure how I feel about that. Everyone is at odds right now except for Deran and Craig, and maybe Baz and Pope. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, lazylou said:

So no one thinks that was J in the black hoodie?

only problem...where was Lena?  Not at the Mai house, where Nikki is having her party...with Pope?

Pope was also wearing a black hoodie when Baz hugged him in front of his house. These are probably red herrings. Hopefully Lena was with Pope at his house during the party. That poor kid. Pope seems to be the only one paying attention to her. 

27 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't think anyone set up Baz. I think someone came after Lucy - most likely in retribution for that kid her posse kidnapped. Her reaction to the shooting pretty much confirmed she had no idea it was going down. Yeah, she and Marco decided to take Baz's money but I think probably just so they could both get out of town, or else buy enough support to take out whoever came after her.

27 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Agree.  But whoever was doing the shooting seemed to haVe  been aiming at Baz...maybe not a very good shot.  That's why I was thinking maybe the kid himself.

Great cliff hanger!

• Love 1

It seems we're supposed to believe the shooting was done by Lucy/Marco. It's the simplest answer to me. It could be a hit ordered by Smurf too. But Baz is a dick. Who knows how many people might want him dead. I don't think it was J or Pope or the other brothers. They're all upset, but I don't think it rose to that level .. yet. 

Someone above said that it might have been a hit on Lucy. I'm sure she's pissed off a few people too. She did seem surprised. A poster on Reddit suggested that it could have been Nicki's father. He was supposed to be in town that day for her graduation. Maybe he didn't miss his plane after all. He hates the family for getting him & Nicki involved in their crimes, for undermining his authority and also for enabling her drug use.

I am not a fan of Nicki. She's a reckless thrill seeker. I expect her to be arrested at some point, which means the entire Cody clan is in jeopardy. She knows too much and will tell the police everything to save herself.

One things for sure, Smurf and the boys will go after Lucy & Marco for taking the money. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. 

• Love 1

Will the family blame Marco and Lucy if they do not know the stash is gone?  How will they know, unless Baz is around to make the discovery?  He and she are the only ones who know where it was hidden.  So I think he has to survive.

• Love 1

I didn't pay attention and have already deleted the show from DVR, but I'm pretty sure J/Finn Cole is left-handed. That would be one way to rule him out as the shooter, but then again this is TV.

Doesn't Lucy also have a son? He was around a few times last season when Baz was down in Mexico. She's been in CA a lot this season, so who's watching her kid? First Poor Lucy's son and Lena.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Loved all the tension and questions brought up by this episode. 

From the shallow end of the pool. Thank you for ending the seasons with Shawns arse!

Can anybody enlighten me? I didn't understand the dialogue between Pope and Baz with regards to getting together with Cath "to get back at Smurf"...because Smurf "didn't want Baz to have Lucy"...?...

that was way back when they were young...was Lucy around and that time? ...and why would that make sense if she was? 

I just didn't follow that part of the story at all...

did he intend to say Lena??...and would that even make sense if so?

thank you! Help! Lol

I already hated BAZ this season. He just keeps adding to the HUGE PILE of reasons to hate him.

Craig may be a complete scew up, but he is 100x a better person than BAZ is. He has zero redeaming qualities about him at this point.

• Love 3

Jay is sitting there in a dark hoodie, immediately after someone in a dark hoodie shot him. He is also sitting off to the side, contemplative while there is a party in the background. It also looked like his height. My money is on him shooting BAZ. He wouldn't even need Smurf to tell him to do it. He had enough reason without her telling him to do it.

Edited by NN99
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

In addition to Nikki leaving blood at the scene, J left fingerprints on the way out, assuming the old man has the presence of mind to tell the police that.  That won't end well.

J deserves it for getting with Nikki and taking part in her destruction mission.

I loved Baz/Pope's scene and relationship as brothers.

• Love 1

I understand and would agree with Lucy setting him up. But, she truly looked surprised and lost when it happened. She looked inconsolable, didnt want to leave his side except the cops were coming. Plus, she could still steal the loot, without having set up the shooting. No honor amoung thieves scenario.

Edited by NN99
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, Shellbell59 said:

Can anybody enlighten me? I didn't understand the dialogue between Pope and Baz with regards to getting together with Cath "to get back at Smurf"...because Smurf "didn't want Baz to have Lucy"...?...

that was way back when they were young...was Lucy around and that time? ...and why would that make sense if she was? 

I just didn't follow that part of the story at all...

did he intend to say Lena??...and would that even make sense if so?

thank you! Help! Lol

Part of the answer lies in Season One.  Cath was a long time girl friend, originally of Pope, who apparently burned her parents In their house at Smurf's behest; evidently they were talking to the cops. Cath met Baz at the beach...evidently to get her out of the house.  This happened some twenty years ago.  

According to Baz/Marco/Craig, once upon a time they all worked with Lucy and Marco until roughly ten years before when Smurf put an end to the business relationship between the two groups.  Apparently Baz and Lucy date back to that period.  When Smurf put an end to the Baz/Lucy thing, he went with Cath, though he knew Andrew had always loved her. ( Cath told one of the cops that she had loved Baz since she was sixteen , and we assume she always preferred Baz to Pope...thus Baz gets Catherine.). However, it seems she was always Baz's second choice. ) So no...he meant Lucy.

• Love 3