Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: Daytona Beach City Finals

• Start Topic

Top competitors from the Daytona Beach Qualifier tackle the City Finals course, which includes the Salmon Ladder, Circuit Board, Elevator Climb and Giant Cubes.

While most teasers are hyperbole,. Jessie Graff will be running tonight. Here's hoping she can live up to the hype she set up for herself.

ETA: Another week, another ninja-killing course, with only one guy --Drew Drechel -- conquering it. But that's overshadowed by Jessie Graff's epic run. Matt and Akbar wrecked their pants, and you cannot tell me differently. Holy shit, Jessie lived up to the hype.

• Love 6

The guys jump between the floating cubes, Jessie does the splits.  I had to chuckle at her saying "No mas!" 

Thank you Drew for finally making it interesting. Egads, they are not making it this year, are they?

Oh. my. Jessie.  I adore her more every time she runs.  Seriously, this woman is just the best.  She's just always looks like she's having the time of her life.  I was so hoping she'd make it up the Elevator Climb, but she made it farther than last year, and that's quite an accomplishment.  So, so impressive.  And that split!  Loved seeing all the ninjas cheering her on.  The camaraderie on this show is such a treat.

Congrats to Drew, talk about impressive.  I mean, geeze, he ran that thing like he had another appointment to get to, heh.  He just keeps getting better, which seems hard to believe at this point.  So not surprised he made it up to the buzzer. 

One odd thing though, at the end they had Jessie listed at the time she fell off the Elevator Climb, but JJ Woods and Sean Darling-Hammond were listed at the times they finished the Circuit Board, which is how I think the time is usually listed. 

Jessie Graff is awesome! Her run should have been the Pom Run of the Night even though she didn't hit the buzzer. I also found it amusing that the guys tried replicating her splits technique with varying levels of success. I was also pleased that Kevin Carbone, designer of the Wingnuts, did so well, and is going to Vegas. His mom looked more worried than him.

However, I am disappointed Eddy Stewart was just edged out of Vegas by one spot. I'm an unapologetic sucker for anyone who can pec pop like that, though I know that can get old and annoying real fast. I'm just gonna admire that nice slab of beefcake from the thirsty, shallow end of the pool.

Edited by Richness
  • Love 4

It was so interesting watching the athletes take on the cubes and use different strategies for getting through the obtacle.  I was surprised that some of the taller contestants didn't try Jessie's idea previously.  Jessie was so close.  I know they make these courses harder and harder each year, I'm sure she could now complete many of the courses from earlier years.  But she's demonstrated that for the most part, she's right in there with the vast majority of the men and even better than many of them.  If Jessie can do it, so can other women.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

I'm sure she could now complete many of the courses from earlier years.  But she's demonstrated that for the most part, she's right in there with the vast majority of the men and even better than many of them.  If Jessie can do it, so can other women.

Her background in pole vaulting gave her upper body strength to build onto.  And few women come into their 20s with upper body strength.  

Some of the wrap your whole body around this and ride it down a slope, odd wobbly things to run across, and things requiring leg strength might be her problems. 

2 hours ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I love you Jessie!  There were also other impressive people last night, but I cannot remember their names. As much as I love Jessie. I do think that this is Drew's to lose. 

Of course I agree.  Drew is by far the most likely to at least make it to stage three.  I  just looking forward to seeing Jessie on Stage One and hopefully Stage Two again now that we know she can at least beat it even if it was untimed.  

It's Drew's to lose but I watch for Jessie.

(And a handful of other women - including Kacy Catenzero)

speaking  of:  I am hoping to see the face painting girl and the one who did the water sports next year

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

I predict Jessie will make it to stage 3 this year, but probably not THROUGH stage 3. Drew Dreschel and Josh Levin (maybe Daniel Gil too, marriage seems to agree with him) are the ones I would bet on most to get to stage 4.

• Love 1

Drew Dreschel has really grown on me.  In years past, I really didn't like him very much, but he's really won me over.  (Not that he cares, I'm sure:)).  He was nice and genuinely humble at the USA vs. the World thing this year, and giving Jessie his spot, and being so happy for her when she killed it made me super happy.  Also, it was a relief to have someone finally beat that horrible course.

That being said:  OMG, JESSIE GRAFF, YOU ARE AMAZING.  THAT SPLITS POSE WAS EPIC.  

I had to laugh when Matt and Akbar were talking about Trevor Noah and Drew "using the Jessie Graff technique," and laughed a bit harder when Drew wasn't flexible enough, but was happy for him when he killed it in the end.

I have to say, other than Akbar (usually) making pointless comments and referring to women as "the mother of two" or "so-and-so' girlfriend," I REALLY like what this show is modeling for women this year.  When I was growing up, you didn't often see women working together or cheering each other on on television or in the media.  Here, you see women encouraging, cheering for, and genuinely being happy for each other.  It's great.

If they ever did a "Best Runs of ANW women" DVD, I'd definitely buy it for my niece and the other young girls of my acquaintance.  (And for ME, too, who am I kidding?)

Edited by SophiaD
  • Love 8
57 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I wOuld really like to see all the top females compete on the same course just once.  Even if for charity.

YES! And tailor it more towards their strengths, so it wouldn't be just a compilation of women falling on some ridiculous doorknob-grasping shit ;)

• Love 2

So, Matt Iseman was live on Facebook with Jessie and fellow ninjas Natalie Duran and PJ Walsh at Jessie's house during the show last night.  Video is about 10 minutes, but so worth it, imo, just to hear about how Jessie got through the back half of the course (it starts at the end of Rolling Thunder).  I love that she did the split even though other ninjas told her it wouldn't work (ha!) and that she memorized Jake Murray's run on the Circuit Board from last year (overnight, I mean, seriously).  Matt is a great interviewer and asks some really interesting questions.  Jessie's very thoughtful about how she approaches the course and I really love that about her.  And, we get to see how big Sammo is getting. :-)

(I'm terrible at links and things, so hopefully this works)

Edit: can't get the link to the video to work...  Here's Matt's Facebook page, video is down a bit. 

Edited by JenMD
Sorry, I'm hopeless with this stuff
  • Love 1

All of the big name Ninjas are going to be in my city this weekend for a competition but I have a family thing and can't go ?? I would be a total fan girl if I got to see them all in person!

I actually paid attention to the fact that they hadn't given out the Pom run of the night after Jessie so it was obvious that Drew was going to finish. He was a beast, he barely looked tired on the elevator climb. I enjoy him and will be rooting for him in Vegas. 

Once again they montaged one of the competitors and Matt said he had "one of the best runs of the night." Goodness I hate when they do that! If it's one of the best I want to see the entire thing damnit! 

Excited to see Flex Labreck run next week! Girl Power 

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 1

Drew rocked that elevator climb. He actually looked like he was pushing the bars up, rather than pulling his body up. Great technique. It uses less energy to just hold on with one hand, push the bar up as far as possible, then repeat on the other side. Kind of like climbing a rope with your legs instead of just your arms.

5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I wOuld really like to see all the top females compete on the same course just once.  Even if for charity.

Ummm...Vegas. ?

Love Jessie, so impressive. No woman is beating a city finals course with this new elevator climb (not that I'm sure they were beating the rings previously either) when most of the guys fail. Still, I think Jessie made it farther up than JJ and the one dude who was pumping his arms and getting nowhere. 

Fave Akbarisms of the night: "I'm signing up for yoga class today" and "if Jessie Graf gets to the top I'm running out of the booth"

• Love 4

Jessie is just incredible and am so happy that she is out there in the world for little girls to look up to (saw somewhere that a little girl thought Wonder Woman was copying Jessie! aww!!!) That run was so impressive and I love her smile throughout - she grins even more when it is tough and I think it is that attitude that helps her get as far as she has! My fav moment though was Akbar after she did the splits when he kicked his leg up in the booth to mimic and barely gets his leg up - cracked me up!!! I really hope Jessie gets to and through stage 2!!!

This is definitely Drew's year - he has been on fire! He got through the course so quickly that he had enough energy to get up the elevator which is where everyone else struggled.

(JenMD) One odd thing though, at the end they had Jessie listed at the time she fell off the Elevator Climb, but JJ Woods and Sean Darling-Hammond were listed at the times they finished the Circuit Board, which is how I think the time is usually listed. 

I wondered that too!!! There was such a huge gap and I didn't think she took that much longer than them. The only thing I can think is if they wait until they put their hands on the pegs for the elevator, maybe? 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, healthnut said:

Ummm...Vegas. ?

Yeah but it only the top two from each region.  I would love to see all the really good female ninjas come together just once to compete on a single night without the men taking up most of the time. 

• Love 8
20 hours ago, SophiaD said:

Drew Dreschel has really grown on me.  In years past, I really didn't like him very much, but he's really won me over.  (Not that he cares, I'm sure:)).  He was nice and genuinely humble at the USA vs. the World thing this year, and giving Jessie his spot, and being so happy for her when she killed it made me super happy.  Also, it was a relief to have someone finally beat that horrible course.

I totally agree.  I was never a Drew fan, I thought he had an "I am too cute and too awesome" attitude for years.  It seems to me the difference this year is that he is totally focused on making it to the top of Mt. Midoriyama.  I like that focus.  I am impressed with that focus.  I hope he makes it because I think he'll be absolutely devastated if he fails.  I imagine he'll b the top ninja this year, even if he doesn't win the million.  I like Josh Levin a lot but if he wins and Drew doesn't, oh poor Drew.

Jessie Graf stands up to the hype about her.  She did awesome.  I hope she enjoys a long career in ANW.  Not only does she get better and stronger every time she runs, I think she can handle the celebrity of it all.  I really think that was Kacy's issue.  Kacy did well, signed on NBC/ANW's dotted line but cracked under the pressure of the celebrity.  I don't see that from Jessie Graf, I think she revels in it.

Love, love, love JJ Woods.  What a guy.  That is all.

• Love 3

A lot of great runs and likable ninjas.  They do give things away with the editing, though.  We all know Jessi wouldn't finish due to her non-last placement, and we knew Drew probably would due to no one having gotten the Pom title while many others nearly made it up that thing.

Only my second season but I loved watching Drew both times.  He doesn't even look like anything superhuman, until he gets on those courses.  It's like he's part monkey.  

I've been watching ANW since season 3 back when it was on G4 and they had Ninja Boot Camp and took the top 5 or 6 guys to Japan to compete.  That year Drew competed in Japan and blew out his knee in Stage 1 and I have enjoyed him pretty much every year since then.  I do really hope that this is his year to make it up.  

All these women are amazing. I remember back in the day no woman could get past the 3rd obstacle and no woman was ever taken seriously.  Jessie Graf was actually the first woman to make it past the 4th obstacle and it was amazing then. What she has done now just blows my mind.  Pretty much any time I see a woman make it past the warped wall I get all choked up with pride.  

Edited by WInterfalls
  • Love 2

Did anyone else think that the top of the tower (the last obstacle) was seriously dangerous? I thought Drew might fall back down the hole. It looks like a serious design flaw, that they are below the hole and have to get their feet over the edge and underneath the rail. There doesn't seem to be a lot of space at the top either (lie 2 feet). I thought someone might step backwards into the hole! It made me anxious. 

35 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Did anyone else think that the top of the tower (the last obstacle) was seriously dangerous? I thought Drew might fall back down the hole. It looks like a serious design flaw, that they are below the hole and have to get their feet over the edge and underneath the rail. There doesn't seem to be a lot of space at the top either (lie 2 feet). I thought someone might step backwards into the hole! It made me anxious. 

It is very oddly designed. Daniel Gil almost fell through last week as well. I don't get why they made it so difficult to climb up there, after the contestant has already done the hard work of climbing the elevator!

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 3

I'm always afraid when they're up high, even just on top of the warped wall.  I figured that suspended platform is just below them on that last obstacle, though, even at the top.  Or are there wide angle shots and it's not up there? 

What scares me too is what keeps them from falling or bouncing off the front of that safety platform when they do fall?  There can't be anything rigid like plexiglas or it'd be dangerous.  But having nothing there seems even more dangerous.  Maybe it's more angled toward the back wall than it appears.  

On that tower I think the intent of the design was that they use their arms to get themselves all the way up or at least just take some weight off at the end by putting their feet on it then pump up with arms a few more times so they can get their torso out of there without serious gymnastics.  We've seen some people do it that way, I think.  

9 hours ago, slaterain said:

I wondered that too!!! There was such a huge gap and I didn't think she took that much longer than them. The only thing I can think is if they wait until they put their hands on the pegs for the elevator, maybe? 

I was curious, so I hopped on Youtube and checked a couple of other competitors' times.  The few I checked all had times posted from the end of the last obstacle they finished.  So it looks like they just grabbed the wrong time for Jessie's since her time is from when she fell off the Elevator Climb and JJ's is from when he finished the Circuit Board.  She actually wasn't that far behind, she finished the Circuit Board at just about 7:05.

2 hours ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Yes, that is nerve-wracking to watch.  Way too big a hole and I hadn't even noticed they plugged up the hole at the base of the platform with plexiglass, making it even harder to get up.  I've noticed spots throughout the competitions this year that seem really short between obstacles, with too little landing room.  Makes me nervous.

41 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

What scares me too is what keeps them from falling or bouncing off the front of that safety platform when they do fall?  There can't be anything rigid like plexiglas or it'd be dangerous.  But having nothing there seems even more dangerous.  Maybe it's more angled toward the back wall than it appears.  

There's a net at the front of the mat.  You can't really see it from a head on shot or above, but when they shoot from below you can see it.  It's visible during Drew's run.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

I totally agree.  I was never a Drew fan, I thought he had an "I am too cute and too awesome" attitude for years.  It seems to me the difference this year is that he is totally focused on making it to the top of Mt. Midoriyama.  I like that focus.  I am impressed with that focus.  I hope he makes it because I think he'll be absolutely devastated if he fails.  I imagine he'll b the top ninja this year, even if he doesn't win the million.  I like Josh Levin a lot but if he wins and Drew doesn't, oh poor Drew.

Jessie Graf stands up to the hype about her.  She did awesome.  I hope she enjoys a long career in ANW.  Not only does she get better and stronger every time she runs, I think she can handle the celebrity of it all.  I really think that was Kacy's issue.  Kacy did well, signed on NBC/ANW's dotted line but cracked under the pressure of the celebrity.  I don't see that from Jessie Graf, I think she revels in it.

Love, love, love JJ Woods.  What a guy.  That is all.

I agree with all of this. I don't even remember why I didn't love Drew before, but he's won me over. I love his skill, and his attitude. This really seems like his year to take it all. 

Same with Jessie. LOVED seeing her smile during her run. What a competitor and nice person. 

On dangerous obstacles, I always cringe when they hit the tramp and have to grab the board. I'm always afraid someone will just hit their head. Ugh.

Is the Weatherman still in the running? I've lost track but I always have to root for him as well.

4 hours ago, Ciarrai said:

My god show, stop montaging ninjas like Travis Rosen and Ryan Stratis!

I still refuse to watch the pre-run stuff. I don't care about your story, just go.

Yes! That was unexpected.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

What scares me too is what keeps them from falling or bouncing off the front of that safety platform when they do fall?  There can't be anything rigid like plexiglas or it'd be dangerou

37 minutes ago, JenMD said:

There's a net at the front of the mat.  You can't really see it from a head on shot or above, but when they shoot from below you can see it.  It's visible during Drew's run

I agree about the net, it's black and maybe 8 inch grid net .  What I thought I saw was it's supported on the sides by a metalsquare, and on the fourth side by a bent upside down, very broad U shape, making it more like a shovel to keep them from going too far forward.  

Thanks for that info.

I don't like that there are so many obstacles where they can and do slam their faces into hard objects.  I can see the occasional bitten lip and such but the ones where they have to look to the side to catch a hard, suspended item or make their leap just high enough but not too high, those seem unfair.  If you're going to have a safe course, make it safe from broken noses.  I also think some of the landing mats are too narrow and I wish when someone slid or bounced off, that wasn't an elimination.    

Eh these guys know the risks when they sign on.  It's a precision sport and they have to figure it out and stay in bounds in order to get it right.  I don't see that as a big deal.  Of course you don't want people to get hurt but those rock climbers do way more dangerous stuff all the time than anything on that course. 

• Love 3

My god show, stop montaging ninjas like Travis Rosen and Ryan Stratis!

I am unabashed in my love for Travis Rosen and the fact that he's got a JOB, even after all these years.  Not that I begrudge these folks for making some money off of this, but I like that he is down-to-earth, family guy, doing this for fun.

I LOVED when they cut to Akbar and Matt during Jessie's run and Matt's eyes were as big as saucers.  Seemed like a genuine moment and that he was super into it.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, WInterfalls said:

Eh these guys know the risks when they sign on.  It's a precision sport and they have to figure it out and stay in bounds in order to get it right.  I don't see that as a big deal.  Of course you don't want people to get hurt but those rock climbers do way more dangerous stuff all the time than anything on that course. 

Good point about rock climbing.  While I know the participants probably could care less I would prefer not to see injuries because they make me cringe for every run after.  I don't really watch any contact sports, though.  Or any sports, really.  ; )

22 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

Same with Jessie. LOVED seeing her smile during her run. What a competitor and nice person. 

Another thing that's great with her is no boring back-story.  It's just "here's Jessie, professional stunt-woman/ass-kicker.  Kids love her!"  We know nothing of her personal life and that is Just Fine.  It's enough for her to be incredible at what she does.

• Love 5

Jessie's post-run interview was super inspiring for me. She talked about how she was smiling because it was so hard that she realized how much stronger she was getting just by doing it. THAT is what working out should be about for everyone, especially every woman. I will definitely be thinking of Jessie's words when I work on my monkey bars.

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:19 PM, CrazyDog said:

I don't even remember why I didn't love Drew before, but he's won me over. I love his skill, and his attitude. 

He has been a sore loser in the past. 

I also have no clue why the call him, "the real-life ninja." He isn't out fighting Samari when he isn't competing. The only explanation I can come up with is he was the first person to turn an annual competition into a full-time obsession. 

• Love 2

I was watching Jessie's mom each time the camera focused on her and you could almost feel the pride radiate off of her.  Sometimes it's more fun to watch the reactions of the family members and the other ninjas and everyone watching Jessie was incredibly exicited and impressed.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, eel2178 said:

He has been a sore loser in the past. 

I also have no clue why the call him, "the real-life ninja." He isn't out fighting Samari when he isn't competing. The only explanation I can come up with is he was the first person to turn an annual competition into a full-time obsession. 

His gym and the line of equipment he created and sells are called "Real-Life Ninja."  Not sure who got the name first - the stuff or Drew . . . but every time they show his shirt, he's getting free advertising.

8 hours ago, craziness said:

I like Drew, but thought they wasted way too much time on his "used to be a used car salesman" backstory last week. I hate most of the backstories, especially when they repeat them.

Never heard that one so I found it interesting.  Plus he is one of the top ninjas so it's not like we are getting some randos sadsack story.   We are getting an update on the life of a guy who has been competing for years.  

• Love 2

I enjoyed the car salesman story because I knew nothing about Drew.  But it also reminded me of Nigel Lithgoe-related shows and their love of presenting their stars as having been plucked from totally unrelated obscurity and launched by their show into stardom.  

I never thought of it before but it's like the classic Horatio Alger story, isn't it?  Or Cinderella, I suppose.