Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Las Vegas

• Start Topic

A flashback to Ray and Abby's 21st anniversary when they went to Las Vegas to see Damon's first televised fight. In the present, movie star Natalie James hires Ray to protect her from an abusive husband/manager, which draws him deeper into Sam Winslow's web. Hopes for a beautiful day are dashed at Terry and Maureen's wedding as tensions flare between the Donovans and the Dohertys.

Promo:

Clips:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I am so darn confused..... I appreciate answers to two questions:

1. When and who took the mother's ring? How did they know where to go to get it back? 

2. Why was there a hole in the wall and why was it asked at the end: "Did you find anything?" What were they looking for?

Either I need to rewatch last season or go back and rewatch these last two episodes because it does not help to watch episodes while reading the Big Brother live feed forum. 

• Love 1

I say Dog and Pepper (I think that's the name of the actresses dog) runaway together and hit in big in some big dog/little dog buddy comedy/series. They've seen enough shit and deserve  happiness. I'd  sure as hell watch it over this Saint Abby and their great love story crap. He did cheat the previous season.  

I've had seizures. Hell, I took my medication right after that scene. The way Ray was holding her saying "please stop" wasn't just annoying yet laughable to me. My father watches the show and he's had the unfortunate  experience of finding me during mine." What the fuck? Stop uselessly wasting time! That's doing nothing!" Was his take on Ray.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Myrna said:

It seems I'm the only one that liked her character.  I liked that she was weak but strong, good but bad. Aren't a lot of us like that?

I liked her, too (which is probably why I don't spend much time on this forum).  ;-)

• Love 7
On 8/7/2017 at 9:36 PM, paigow said:

Do cops wear uniforms at family functions when off duty? WTF

It's considered "dress" uniform so yes.  I've seen it done for formal occasions.

56 minutes ago, Gigi43 said:

I say Dog and Pepper (I think that's the name of the actresses dog) runaway together and hit in big in some big dog/little dog buddy comedy/series. They've seen enough shit and deserve  happiness. I'd  sure as hell watch it over this Saint Abby and their great love story crap. He did cheat the previous season.  

I've had seizures. Hell, I took my medication right after that scene. The way Ray was holding her saying "please stop" wasn't just annoying yet laughable to me. My father watches the show and he's had the unfortunate  experience of finding me during mine." What the fuck? Stop uselessly wasting time! That's doing nothing!" Was his take on Ray.

I think that was supposed to signify that Ray didn't know/understand what was happening to Abby because it hadn't happened before.  She had breast cancer but obvs she now has a brain tumor or something that is causing all of this but it wasn't known before.

• Love 2

Yeah she was seeing things, like the raccoons playing with the garbage, and hearing things, like when Ray turned off the music in the suite and she said she still heard it.

She also thought she heard raccoons in the ventilation system so she had the pest control guy come to check it out.  He cut into the wall to look for the raccoons that Abby was hearing.

Kind of poignant, that hole is a reminder that she was fading and nobody noticed until it was too late.  It's reminiscent of Sonia from S4 who compared her cancer to a bird -- forget exactly how she put it but it was poetic.

Maybe when a loved one departs, the memories are positive.  I can believe that Ray wouldn't be thinking about the yelling matches they used to have, especially since he often did things which ignited those fights.

Until the story was fully exposited, I couldn't understand how Darryl could get in trouble for being at a brothel in Nevada.

When Mickey put up pictures of the women in their lives on the bar, I was surprised that there wasn't one of a black woman.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

When and who took the mother's ring? How did they know where to go to get it back?

Go back and watch the scene when Terry is in the car with Ray and Abby and explains the whole thing. He got ripped off at a brothel and London took the ring. They knew where to go back to get it because Terry knew which brothel he'd been at and the name of the girl he was with.

• Love 5

I know it's only been two episodes but I am sooooooo sick of this retcon of how in loooooooove Ray and Abby were. Give me a fucking break! He was cheating on her from the first episode up through last season. They were constantly fighting. It's like now that she's dead the show wants us to believe that every time they fought or Ray fucked someone else during the past four seasons was just an anomaly and what they're showing us now is the real version of their relationship. Riiiiigghhht.

Part of me feels bad that Terry is never going to get along with his wife's family, but on the other hand if you look at it from their point of view, her brother summed it up pretty well: Mickey did 20 years in Walpole, Ray is a Hollywood scumbag, and Terry did time for armed robbery, beat someone to death in prison, and recently got arrested at a brothel. Why would he want his sister to marry into that?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know it's only been two episodes but I am sooooooo sick of this retcon of how in loooooooove Ray and Abby were. Give me a fucking break! He was cheating on her from the first episode up through last season. They were constantly fighting. It's like now that she's dead the show wants us to believe that every time they fought or Ray fucked someone else during the past four seasons was just an anomaly and what they're showing us now is the real version of their relationship. Riiiiigghhht.

Part of me feels bad that Terry is never going to get along with his wife's family, but on the other hand if you look at it from their point of view, her brother summed it up pretty well: Mickey did 20 years in Walpole, Ray is a Hollywood scumbag, and Terry did time for armed robbery, beat someone to death in prison, and recently got arrested at a brothel. Why would he want his sister to marry into that?

I can understand the lovey dovey stuff because it's how Ray is remembering her now that she's gone - he's not going to remember her shrewish tendencies or when he let her down, he's going to remember the good stuff.  Also, probably to feed his own guilt for having been a crappy husband.  But, I don't want to watch that.  If they are going to insist on doing this flashback stuff, it would be way more interesting to get them from all different perspectives - what are the other family members remembering, how do those memories differ.

I know that I wouldn't think a real-life Terry was a catch, but he's my favorite character so everyone needs to be nice to him all the time lol.

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, crookedjackson44 said:

Last night's episode was interminable.  I had to fastforward several times during the Abby scenes.  I am very happy that the show has disposed of the kids and the wrester wife; now just hurry up and put Abby in the past.  Oh, and give Avi some air time.

Also, Lena (Katerine Moenning) was on screen for less than one minute in total for both episodes.  They have to get her worked into the mix. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, preeya said:

Was the scumbag husband with the dog the same guy that played Billy Walsh in Entourage?

It was, I looked at the end just to confirm  it was him. 

Terry's  brother in law had every right to dislike his sister marrying into that family. I think  that's why they threw in calling Bunchy r******* to make the brother seem worse.  Of course that doesn't  give you an entire pass on making a scene at an event itself but everything  he said about  the Donovan's was called for and good reasons to not marry into the family so they had him go after Bunchy. Also maybe it's the police uniform but I'm  very familiar with the actor playing the brother in law from soap operas he's not looking good here. Not that I think he's great looking to begin with and i dislike his acting all around but I just can't figure out why he looks unflatteringly different and it's bothering me. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Myrna said:

It seems I'm the only one that liked her character.  I liked that she was weak but strong, good but bad. Aren't a lot of us like that?

Yes, but Abby was also willfully ignorant, bitchy and a shitty mother. 

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This was addressed - OK, skimmed over - by Abby.  She knew he was screwing around and told him she knew and that she also knew she loved him and he loved her despite all of his side pieces.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Why would he want his sister to marry into that?

You mean his sister....the cop?

If the brother could find out the dirt, she could have too but it looks like she passed on that opportunity.  

What is she going to do as a cop if she finds evidence of crimes, etc.?  Look the other way?  

13 hours ago, scrb said:

When Mickey put up pictures of the women in their lives on the bar, I was surprised that there wasn't one of a black woman.

That would mean he acknowledged cheating on his wife.  Not going to happen.

Edited by Puddy
  • Love 1

I had read the reviews of this show over the years and the one consistent criticism was Paul Malcomson as Abby. She was harshly reviewed as far back as 2014. I am thinking maybe the writers caved in to her poor reviews and is going to send the show in another permanent romantic direction for Ray. 

from the comeback

• Love 1

I knew the only way I could watch would be to fast forward through all of the Abby flashbacks--which I did, except for the part where she had passed out in the Vegas hotel room and I thought maybe I'd see her die.  Did not happen. ( I did end up fast forwarding about 3/4 of the show. ) And the scene in the hospital with Ray pleading with the doc to say it was a "concussion thing" and the doc just standing there ominously was dumb.  More Abby next week, according to previews.  I'll just say "ditto" to everyone who is sick of her and the retcon.

I have to mention last episode's scene in the car where the two of them were talking about what she would want if she could do anything:  "open a baaaah"; no, you left Boston so you could get away from a baaaah";  "no, I really would like to open a baaaaah": oy vey, it was like a meta comment parodying their OTT Boston accents.  I had a feeling LS and PM had a big laugh afterward.

Also, can someone catch me up: seem that this site no longer does recaps of episodes of first run series like this, or Orphan Black or whatever.  All I see are post, or mainly podcasts, about BH90210, Veronica Mars, and reality shows?  I haven't visited regularly in a long time.  Am I missing something?  Did the focus here change?

• Love 2

Yeah, I had to fast forward through all the Abbey stuff as well,  I hate her and think the actress who plays her can not act, but hey we got to see Rayyyyyyyyy in a gray suit instead of his normal black suit. Yum Yum Yum.  I am a happy camper. God we are going to have to watch St. Abbey all season?  I feel it. Yes, I agree don't you lay one hand on one dog in this show or I am through, and I have been quite loyal. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Marianne said:

I knew the only way I could watch would be to fast forward through all of the Abby flashbacks--which I did, except for the part where she had passed out in the Vegas hotel room and I thought maybe I'd see her die.  Did not happen. ( I did end up fast forwarding about 3/4 of the show. ) And the scene in the hospital with Ray pleading with the doc to say it was a "concussion thing" and the doc just standing there ominously was dumb.  More Abby next week, according to previews.  I'll just say "ditto" to everyone who is sick of her and the retcon.

I have to mention last episode's scene in the car where the two of them were talking about what she would want if she could do anything:  "open a baaaah"; no, you left Boston so you could get away from a baaaah";  "no, I really would like to open a baaaaah": oy vey, it was like a meta comment parodying their OTT Boston accents.  I had a feeling LS and PM had a big laugh afterward.

Also, can someone catch me up: seem that this site no longer does recaps of episodes of first run series like this, or Orphan Black or whatever.  All I see are post, or mainly podcasts, about BH90210, Veronica Mars, and reality shows?  I haven't visited regularly in a long time.  Am I missing something?  Did the focus here change?

I had the same question, so I poked around

• Love 1

Such as a variety platter of cringe and it doesn't help that I was sick in bed when I watched this. Who on earth thought watching an hour of her holiness, Saint Abby was good idea much less entertaining? She has spent four seasons hating everything about Ray's work and generally crapping all over it. Now she's Bonnie to Ray's Clyde? WTF?

I don't like that they're trying to go all Westworld with the time jumps. 

I've constantly recommending this show over the years, but I'm not sure anymore. I'll give it a few more episodes. Abby Normal must go. Soon

• Love 3
On 8/13/2017 at 10:56 PM, TexasGal said:

Barf.

Terry's going to have a lifetime of joy with his brother in law.  Poor Terry.

That said, the brother-in-law does have a point.  He just made that point at the wrong place and wrong time.

St Abby is annoying as heck, but I keep thinking why couldn't it have been Bridget that died?  I hate that character worse even than Abby.   To me, the strength of this show is Ray's cases and clients.  His wife and kids are a waste of time.   The family overall is a big basket of overused Irish and Irish-American stereotypes, and not even well done for what they are.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 2

Unpopular opinion, I didn't hate this episode like most here.  They seem to be having Ray and Abby get back to whatever relationship they once had in bygone days, reclaim who they once were as a couple before she checks out.  Of course, she still manages to work the word "fuck" into every conversation, no matter the context.  The cathouse caper was fun, too bad they didn't write their relationship differently all these seasons and have them interact like they did in that scene.  I thought the wedding reception with a bunch of Donovans and a bunch of cops in the same room was pretty funny, and you knew that could turn out only one way.  The actual case, with the hot celebrity girl killing her husband, how many times has this show done the femme fatale thing?  That's what's getting old in my eyes.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

But she is still alive, is she not?

Mickey has had several lady friends and I'm sure he's gotten more than one killed.  If I'm not mistaken Darryl's mom is still alive though, which is probably who you are thinking of since I think she was more meaningful to Mickey than a lot of his luvahs.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dobian said:

Of course, she still manages to work the word "fuck" into every conversation, no matter the context. 

You mean every sentence, don't you?  Sorry, I'm not a prude by any stretch, but the constant "fuck" in her speech just takes me out of the story.  She seems to say it more than all of the other characters combined!!

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, roughing it said:

You mean every sentence, don't you?  Sorry, I'm not a prude by any stretch, but the constant "fuck" in her speech just takes me out of the story.  She seems to say it more than all of the other characters combined!!

I'm sure if we are treated to her death scene later this season, her last words will be, "I'm fuckin' dying, Ray, I'm fuckin' dying!"

• Love 5
6 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Mickey has had several lady friends and I'm sure he's gotten more than one killed.  If I'm not mistaken Darryl's mom is still alive though, which is probably who you are thinking of since I think she was more meaningful to Mickey than a lot of his luvahs.  

But those pictures are not just random lovers. Those are women with special meaning to the Donovans. One of them is Abby, the other ones I suppose are white Donovans' late sister and mother.

7 hours ago, roughing it said:

No.  She was shot when Mickey went back the second time to rob Primm.

I was thinking about Darryl's mother. CMIIW, I think she still lives in Palm Springs.

Edited by TV Anonymous
  • Love 2
On 2017-08-14 at 3:35 PM, Puddy said:

You mean his sister....the cop?

If the brother could find out the dirt, she could have too but it looks like she passed on that opportunity.  

What is she going to do as a cop if she finds evidence of crimes, etc.?  Look the other way?  

That would mean he acknowledged cheating on his wife.  Not going to happen.

Darryl is tangible evidence of cheating.....

• Love 3

I want to clarify something.

I hate Abby. Real hate. Hate since TWOP days and grand marshal of the hate parade probably the longest, but I would never tell someone that they can't like her. That's what makes television an interesting medium. Something for everyone.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, paigow said:

Darryl is tangible evidence of cheating.....

He sure is but we won't discuss that at the raising of the glass.

Irish.  Catholic.  Sweep it under the rug.  Do the math.

The whole family has issues.

On 8/16/2017 at 0:39 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

Meaningful but not picture-in-a-frame-worthy.  

On 8/16/2017 at 0:23 PM, Dobian said:

Unpopular opinion, I didn't hate this episode like most here.  They seem to be having Ray and Abby get back to whatever relationship they once had in bygone days, reclaim who they once were as a couple before she checks out.  Of course, she still manages to work the word "fuck" into every conversation, no matter the context.  The cathouse caper was fun, too bad they didn't write their relationship differently all these seasons and have them interact like they did in that scene.  I thought the wedding reception with a bunch of Donovans and a bunch of cops in the same room was pretty funny, and you knew that could turn out only one way.  The actual case, with the hot celebrity girl killing her husband, how many times has this show done the femme fatale thing?  That's what's getting old in my eyes.

Hollywood is full of femme fatales.  

• Love 1
On 8/15/2017 at 10:54 PM, TV Anonymous said:

But she is still alive, is she not?

Love of his life girlfriend and mother of his love child = alive and well and living in Palm Springs with Starsky

Last woman he used to try to rob the casino = shot dead at casino owner's home

• Love 2

They could have used the same footage for this season and run it sequentially, so we aren't jumping backward from Abby's death, and I suspect most of us would be much less annoyed.

My father had lung cancer, and when he started having mental status changes, I didn't need a doctor or an MRI to tell me that meant brain metastasis.

Nothing like reinforcing the stereotype of brawling Irish families, especially brawling Irish families with a shitload of cops.

I want Lena and Avi, for fuck's sake!

• Love 1

did anyone catch Terry Donovan saying at the gravestone that he didnt regret what they did only that it was so hard to carry the casket??? And then when Ray was having a flashback to the hospital scene there was this image of lots of pills and then Briget and Abby laying together?  Does anyone think that perhaps she wanted to puposely overdose to help herself die faster?  Assisted suicide?  Tell me your thoughts please?

I am just really bummed they killed her.  There are a lot of haters on here it seems that say good riddance but I liked her character I do not think they even let both Ray and her really connect ever, even to the end of S4.  My opinion it was a stupid idea to kill her and the first 4 episodes I have seen in S5 I only like because they are mostly her and show a connection to Ray.  But to permanently kill her, I would rather this season be a dream, a coma Ray is in and they start S6 he wakes up only to find he is coming out of a long term coma and it was ALL a dream or most of it was not real  :) :) Where have they done that before?? LOL :) :) :)   

The trolls will be circling me know so I should go back into my cave before they attack LOL

----Teastation

Edited by Teastation
On 8/14/2017 at 3:42 PM, Puddy said:

Note to the writers:  You better not fuck with the dogs.  

Just don't.  No broken necks, no bullets, no running away.

I found that more disturbing than most of the violence on this show. Any man who could cold bloodedly kill a pet is not a man...he's a cockroach. 

• Love 2