Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Stealth

While waiting for the posters smarter than me to discuss Stealth, Echo, and RAM:

Love seeing Zeljko Ivanek but he was so frail!  Excellent casting.  Between this, watching Xander Berkeley on Salem, and the return of Jack Bauer, it's deja vu for the old seasons of 24.  

I am finding Elizabeth's hesitation to allow Paige to participate in the church activities interesting, and it spurs me to read up on how Communism treated religion.  This show reminds me to do some light research on the history of the Cold War and the time period.  Still loving it.

Is Kate really dead? It seems like Larrick went to a lot of effort to get to her, but didn't really put his heart into getting her to spill the beans. I was thinking that maybe he just knocked her unconcious and would get back to questioning her later on when she came to

Oleg really does care!

Such a tense episode.  I wonder what Larrck did with Kate's body. 

I don't think Gaad likes Stan all that much.  "I've been happily married for 17 years. Luck of the draw."

Arkady knows exactly how to play Oleg and Nina to get the best results. 

What's going on with Jared?

• Love 3

What's going on with Jared?

He's being evaluated to determine if he has natural spy skills. And so is Paige. When Alias premieres they'll both be old enough to be recruited.

• Love 4

Is it unamerican of me to want Nina and Oleg to live happily ever after?

I'm hoping those two crazy kids can work it out as well. Which amazes me, because I've disliked his character from the first, but the affair with Nina has shown a different side to him.  I believe he is genuinely concerned about Nina's fate. I just have a bad feeling that when it all goes down, Nina will be dead and the three men will all be left standing.

• Love 2

I knew it! Last week I posted about Jared and how the camera zoomed in on the bread and peanut butter when he was talking to Stan in the kitchen. Last night they zoom in on him holding the orange!  Well, I didn't understand the bread and peanut butter, but I got the citrus.  That means someone is going to get killed. And I think they did. (Recall The God Father.)

That sound we heard was Larrick cracking Kate's neck.  I'm not sure why he took the body, unless it's to lead her people to him. Her people don't know she's dead, so they may go after him trying to get her back or to kill her to ensure she doesn't give up intel.

The only thing I can think of is that Jared is an agent and that he was trained by his parents, though Philip and Elizabeth weren't informed.  What if he was the one who killed his parents?  Sounds crazy, but I think it's possible.  Maybe he's more loyal than they are and he knew they were disloyal.  That would explain why he would have reason to take them out.  They were friends with Larrick, right?  So who knows where their loyalties were.

I keep saying this, but the Russian spies really do need to get a top notch security system.  At least make it a little difficult to get into your home and hide.  They don't even have a dog to alert them of danger.  Phillip and Elizabeth don't have any home security either.  Why not? Especially with kids in the house.

The only thing I can think of is that Jared is an agent and that he was trained by his parents, though Philip and Elizabeth weren't informed.  What if he was the one who killed his parents?  Sounds crazy, but I think it's possible.  Maybe he's more loyal than they are and he knew they were disloyal.  That would explain why he would have reason to take them out.  They were friends with Larrick, right?  So who knows where their loyalties were

There's no reason to think Emmett and Leanne were disloyal. They weren't friends with Larrick, they were blackmailing them. It would erase most of Jared's personality that we've seen to reveal he's some sort of Soviet fanatic who would murder his parents and sister for "disloyalty" to a country he's never seen and an ideology to which he might or might not understand.

They don't even have a dog to alert them of danger.

Dogs would probably bark when they snuck out of the house at night.

• Love 1
I keep saying this, but the Russian spies really do need to get a top notch security system.  At least make it a little difficult to get into your home and hide.  They don't even have a dog to alert them of danger.  Phillip and Elizabeth don't have any home security either.  Why not? Especially with kids in the house.

Depending on the type of dog, it could wake the kids up every time they get back late from work.

I did like how Elizabeth cave on the peace protest. It buys her good will from her daughter and allows her to protest the policy.

Jared is really cagey, so cagey he's tipping his hand a bit. Ah, youth.

(edited)

I'm starting to like Larrick.

Me too. Part of me wants to still root for Phillip and Elizabeth (really more for their romance/personal life than anything - and of course I would  love to see them defect), but I like seeing someone starting to figure things out and have a real chance to actually expose the illegals. He took out two pretty key people in the phone center guy and Kate in a very short amount of time and he can definitely do some major damage - imagine how dangerous he could be if he actually had others helping him.  Stan is getting closer too and it will be interesting how they play it if he truly starts to suspect P&E.

I'm really curious what Jared actually knows (he definitely recognized the sketch that Stan showed him of Elizabeth in disguise) and what his conversation with Kate was all about. The fact that she knew she may be killed and took the time to write a coded message on a toilet paper core that said "get Jared out" would indicate that he's likely pretty important to them in some way.

Maybe it's just me, but when Phillip was dressed as the Vietnam Vet with the long hair and full beard it just looked odd to see him sitting in the Engineer's apartment with his legs crossed at the knee. No idea why I pay attention to things like that but it just didn't seem to fit the character he was playing at the time.

I can't believe there are only two episodes left this season - this has flown by and I am going to hate waiting for the next season.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm confused as to the relationship of Larrick with Emmitt and Leanne.  Last night when Kate was tied up Larrick make a comment about her sending people to kill his friends (Emmitt and Leanne).  So if they were his friends then why?  Wouldn't they be more like enemies?  And if they were enemies, then why would he be upset they were murdered.  Can someone explain this?  I've never been able to fully understand that relationship.  

I also have a question about Larrick's perception of Elizabeth and Philip, but since it's not related to last night, I'm taking that question to another thread. Okay. I can't find another thread this question fits, so, I'll put it here.

When Elizabeth and Philip met Larrick they pretended to be FBI, right?  They had his files and threatened to expose him.  He was to do what they said, which was to continue pretending to work for the Soviets.  Right? Then, later he somehow knows they are Russians as he calls Elizabeth after the crazy girl tries to kill him in his home.  So how did he arrive at this conclusion?

Edited by SunnyBeBe
The fact that she knew she may be killed and took the time to write a coded message on a toilet paper core that said "get Jared out" would indicate that he's likely pretty important to them in some way.

He was always important to them because he's the son of Russian heroes. Though they might see him as potentially valuable as a future engineer or something now too. Plus if the KGB knows that Stan's figured out about Emmett and Leanne--which they probably do via Nina--they might be working on getting him out anyway.

I'm confused as to the relationship of Larrick with Emmitt and Leanne.  Last night when Kate was tied up Larrick make a comment about her sending people to kill his friends (Emmitt and Leanne).  So if they were his friends then why?  Wouldn't they be more like enemies?  And if they were enemies, then why would he be upset they were murdered.  Can someone explain this?  I've never been able to fully understand that relationship.

They are not his friends. Larrick was referring to the military guys Philip killed during Martial Eagle, not Emmett and Leanne. Larrick hated Emmett and Leanne and was planning to kill them once he found out how to find them.

When Elizabeth and Philip met Larrick they pretended to be FBI, right?  They had his files and threatened to expose him.  He was to do what they said, which was to continue pretending to work for the Soviets.  Right? Then, later he somehow knows they are Russians as he calls Elizabeth after the crazy girl tries to kill him in his home.  So how did he arrive at this conclusion?

Philip and Elizabeth originally pretended to be CIA. They told him to continue working with the Soviets and pass on anything he did to them. Because he talked about being involved in Nicaragua they decided to just takeover running him. When they showed up at the gay club Larrick knew (as they knew he would) that they were actually KGB (which he'd suspected earlier too). So now they all knew who everyone else was working for. They essentially told him they were Russian/KGB when they showed up at the gay club to talk about him giving them info on Martial Eagle. It was a given that he understood and then they continued working together knowing that.

• Love 1

Jared? Why? Wow, I really want to know what's going on with him. 

Could Ivanek be sick for real? :( He looks thinner. Last time I saw him was in Revolution and he was playing another person with a terminal disease. 

While I'm glad he didn't do it, I'm surprised Larrick didn't torture Kate for information. 

Nina... I honestly don't know if she's trying to turn Stan or trying to run away with him. I want to believe it's the former; I would admire her for her self-confidence even if she failed. 

Nina... I honestly don't know if she's trying to turn Stan or trying to run away with him. I want to believe it's the former; I would admire her for her self-confidence even if she failed. 

Let's see if I can crack this one open. Well, she told Stan that Arkady knows she's a double agent, meaning that Stan can't possibly find a solution that sends her back. So she's doing a runner. Alternatively, she can say "Arkady said I can stay but only if you do this for him" but I can't see how Stan falls for that. Firstly, Stan would have to somehow trust Arkady and second, Nina will have to do a series of disclosures about whose side exactly she's on, and I don't see how Stan stays with her after that.

According to Arkady's plan, Stan must be so in love with Nina that he either a ) betrays his own country to be with her even though he knows her true allegiance is with Mother Russia or b ) does anything, including betraying his own country, in order to protect her from her dangerous superiors. Plan A requires full disclosure and reduces everything to a business deal, with Nina becoming the handler and Stan the double agent. I don't see how viable that is, since in the cold light of day Stan won't sell his country out. The second option would keep Nina's cover in place, with Stan falsely thinking he's the protector, basically a continuation of what they've been doing but Stan would need to be willing to betray more serious secrets and then trust Arkady won't still deport Nina or report her to Moscow after that. Him and Stan would be in cahoots and I don't see how Stan gets to trust Arkady that much, a man he wanted to assassinate not long ago.

So basically, Nina's doing a runner. If Stan can't betray his country for her, he will certainly arrange for her escape. This is Nina playing for Team Nina, she's choosing an  option with the least risk to her person (but only if Arkady allows her to escape, he has plausible deniability - which is exactly what happened). 

• Love 1

Was this Zeljko Ivanek's first time on the show? I know him as "that guy", and maybe I watch too much TV but damn, when all these good character actors keep showing up in the shows I watch, I get confused. 

I can't think of why Kate would want to protect Jared other than he knows something. It's possible that Leeane knew Elizabeth would balk at giving him the letter, and possibly Kate was also their handler so she was also given a letter to give to Jared. (She could at least have put on a sexy wig and librarian glasses if she was going to choose a table next to the window. )

I like Ted. Good costume. 

When the hell is Gaad going to actually try and use that pen? I go through every pen in my drawer at work.  

A good name for this episode would have been "Everyone is fucked." 

• Love 2
I can't think of why Kate would want to protect Jared other than he knows something. It's possible that Leeane knew Elizabeth would balk at giving him the letter, and possibly Kate was also their handler so she was also given a letter to give to Jared. (She could at least have put on a sexy wig and librarian glasses if she was going to choose a table next to the window. )

Claudia was Emmett and Leanne's handler. But just being a Line N officer would give Kate a reason to protect Jared. He's the son of two of their agents which means he's not only somebody they probably don't want the FBI taking an interest in in general, but someone they care about personally.

I don't think the pin was bugged.  Oleg gave it to Nina before he found out about her treason.

I too was surprised that Larrik killed Kate so quickly.  I would have expected him to torture her for info, which would require him to make her unconscious and get to a different locale.  But I'm sure I heard a vertebrae crack.

I liked the two clues Kate left, the up toilet seat and the empty toilet paper roll. 

It was easy for Elizabeth to agree to the nuke protest.  She liked the cause and it provides an activity for Paige.

• Love 3

This is completely off the wall, but what if Jared killed his parents and sister?  He could have killed them before he went swimming and then feigned shock when he came back later and found the bodies.  I'm not sure why the KGB (or anyone else) would use an amateur to wipe out the family, when they had pros available, but it is a possibility.  i'm just thinking that Jared, whatever his fate is, will tie closely in with Paige and Henry.  Elizabeth's a true believer--what would she make of Jared being the same, to the point of family annihilation?   I'm just trying to figure out why Kate would be meeting with Jared sans disguise....

• Love 3

Elizabeth and Philip are lucky that Paige wanted to go to the protest. It gave them a way to slightly appease her. If I were Elizabeth and totally adamant that my kid not go to a religious summer camp, I would have told her she could go to a regular non-religious summer camp with all the activities Paige mentioned (swimming, hiking).

I became suspicious of Jared as soon as the camera started doing crazy things with zooming in on his food. Somethings up.  I would not rule out that he killed his parents and sister.  The theme of this show is that people are not always what they seem.  

I'm trying to figure out how the storyline we are seeing with Nina and Stan is going to go to accommodate them staying on the show.  Nina dying or going back to Russia for trial aren't real options, are they?  So how can she stay and how can Stan stay?  I wonder if Oleg and Nina are playing both Stan and Arkady.  If they can play it right, then they may be able to use Stan somewhat, but keep him at bay, while taking Arkady out.  He's a problem for Nina.  He has to go.  If they can take him out while making it appear that Nina gave him to the FBI in Stan's eyes, but in the Soviet's eyes, Arcady was on the take, NOT Nina and she did the right thing, then Oleg can move into Arkady's position. With his connections in Russia, he can protect Nina from prosecution and even give her credit for a job well done.  

I can't see Nina ever getting over Stan murdering her dear friend.  The moments that Nina and Oleg share seem intimate and loving.  Nina's chances of living a full life seem greater if under the protection of Oleg than going with Stan, IMO.

• Love 2

I'm starting to think that Larrick did kill Emmet and Leanne and he just lied about it to Phillip and Elizabeth.  It may not have been planned, its possible that he just happened to see them at the hotel or in the area and followed them to their room.  He just has the cold-bloodedness that I could see would have no problems also killing their daughter.

And he would have to be an incredible actor.  When he walked in on his dead family he had a completely believable reaction.  Maybe Larrick didn't do it, but I can't believe a 17yo kid could without showing signs of being a psychopath.

I'm still not sure what Oleg's game is.  I don't believe his feelings for Nina are real.  

• Love 1
Anyone else think that the Young Pioneer pin was bugged?

It's a flat little pin. I don't think there's any room for a bug.

And he would have to be an incredible actor.  When he walked in on his dead family he had a completely believable reaction.  Maybe Larrick didn't do it, but I can't believe a 17yo kid could without showing signs of being a psychopath.

Yes, if it was Jared it would basically turn it into a monster movie. 

(edited)

I'm pretty positive Jared murdered his family now. Ai yi yi. I became suspicious in an early episode in which the neighbor lady went on and on about what a wonderful boy he was.

I like the counterpoint of Nina/Oleg's Young Pioneer/summer camp conversations with Paige wanting to go to a summer camp for the church group.

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 1

Zeljko Ivanek is such a good actor. It looked as if he was still recovering from what happened to him on "Damages."

I'm having a hard time figuring out why Jared would be the killer, but at least it would justify why I thought, at the time, that that was a hell of a bad acting job when he fell out into the hotel hallway, yelling. Maybe he was actually doing a really good acting job of a boy doing a bad acting job. :)

• Love 1

Larrick is one creepy SOB. I didn't really like Kate, but yikes. Despite not liking her as a handler, at least she was smart enough to stash a gun and get a message to Phillip and Elizabeth. I'm surprised Larrick didn't try to torture information out of her either, but I tend to think she provoked him into killing her so she wouldn't give up any intel rather than potentially cracking under torture. She was going to end up dead regardless, but at least she didn't willingly give up intel.

I find the storyline with Stan/Nina/Oleg/Arkady/Gaad to be very interesting-- who exactly is playing who here? I could believe Stan is playing a long con, given what we know about his abilities to do undercover work-- just because we haven't seen him report to anyone recently doesn't mean he isn't, as we have seen him report to Gaad about the goings on. I could also see him totally being played by Nina/Oleg/Arkady. Also, I believe that Arkady purposefully told Oleg about Nina being a traitor and her being sent back to Russia, knowing that he would tell Nina, who in turn tells Stan. Personally, I feel like Arkady is totally bullshitting them in an attempt to get the Stealth info.

Phillip was really killing it as Ted, the Vietnam vet. Matthew Rhys manages to inhabit all of the the personas Phillip has to take on as part of his spy craft. Please, give him all the awards.

• Love 2

Also, I believe that Arkady purposefully told Oleg about Nina being a traitor and her being sent back to Russia, knowing that he would tell Nina, who in turn tells Stan. 

Arkady definitely told Oleg on purpose to warn Nina. Arkady even told Oleg "I have no one to protect me." or something like that, meaning Arkady had to do as he was told because he didn't have political cover. But Oleg, with his important family connections, could work the system to protect himself and Nina.

Stan has shown again and again that he lets little Stan do the thinking when Nina is around, so either he's going to give Nina what she wants, or he's going to get caught trying to get it for her.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm starting to really like Larrick. Well, not "like" exactly, but I guess "admire". Like Tywin Lannister in a completely different programme, you can't help but respect the sheer audacity and badassitude with which he turns the tables on those who seem to be getting the better of him. He even admits he made mistakes.

I am, however, a little surprised he killed Kate. You can say that she'd never betray her country, but as The Recruit says: eventually everyone breaks, it's just a question of time. Now maybe Larrick can't spend the time torturing her to get information, but it seemed a waste to simply kill her. Even if he can't spare the time away from destabilising the Sandanistas, doesn't he have some CIA pals who could throw her into a dungeon and pull out her fingernails (or whatever else they'd try)? It seemed he could completely unravel the Soviet Sleeper organisation if only he wasn't so impulsive. I accept that there's no way Philizabeth are getting captured but I want it to be because they're competent, not because their enemies are dumb.

Catray I find the storyline with Stan/Nina/Oleg/Arkady/Gaad to be very interesting-- who exactly is playing who here?

I'm not sure who is playing whom, though I did like Arkady admitting that he was prepared to sacrifice Nina (and even threaten her into doing it) to obtain the intel. I think Stan is going to give up the intel to “save” Nina, though whether that's because she's really in danger or just because he believes she is, I'm unsure. Also, who claims the credit could be interesting.

Fastiller Anyone else think that the Young Pioneer pin was bugged?

No, because I don’t think they had bugs that small. Even today, it's hard to conceal a bug in something so tiny (actually it’s the battery and/or transmitter that’s the problem).

Edited by John Potts
  • Love 1
How did Larrick know where Kate lived?  As far as I remember, he only got her phone number from the phone operator guy.

It would be pretty easy for a guy with those skills to find a house when he had the direct phone number. Maybe he just called information.

How did Larrick know where Kate lived?  As far as I remember, he only got her phone number from the phone operator guy. 

It would be pretty easy for a guy with those skills to find a house when he had the direct phone number. Maybe he just called information.

Wow, other viewers as far behind as me!  Larrick knew the approximate location of the phone guy because he went to the phone company, posed as a police officer (I think), and the woman behind the counter found the number -- but said the only location she had was a connection box.  We saw him go to that box where all the lines were located, and he used a telephone tool to try to locate where that precise number went.  It led him to the wrong house (with the little girl looking for her doll), but when he went to the basement, he found the trunk of phone lines that led to the basement next door, and the phone guy. Then he used the same tool to dial Kate's line, which seemed to lead him to her address.  But I agree that part was glossed over.  Still can't believe there was no alarm system or security on the phone guy.  Hope you comment on later episodes -- there is no one to talk to about 2014 episodes!

Jarod and Kate.  The plot thickens.  

Really liked the scene with Jarod and Elizabeth.  You could see how both of them were fishing for information.  It was like a game of fish.  

Bye Kate just when you started to get really interesting.

On 2/17/2016 at 3:24 PM, tara2r said:

Larrick had serious skills.  He had said when he had first met P&E that although he hadn't been the one who killed Emmett and Leanne that he was a few meetings away from finding them.   Emmett and Leanne were Directorate S and had been in country for decades with backstops that were backstopped.  Kate might have been well trained but she was young and I doubt she protected her identity as well as Emmett and Leanne or Philip and Elizabeth.  Once he pulled that first thread and found the answering service she was probably easy to find.    

Still I did like that she put up a reasonable fight against against someone who was just better then she was.  Of course she lost but I did like that she didn't go down as east as Lucia did.    Also props for not telling him anything.  Probably knew he'd kill her regardless but still.  Props for not telling him anything.  In the end she was good at her job.  He was just better.  

Retrospect should have killed Larrick at the first meeting.  Would have made things so much simpler.  

For a spy Philip really is a soft touch or maybe they should get Paige to to interrogations for the KGB.  If she can get Philip to flip after one session of the silent treatment.  A trained KGB agent.....ha!   

I do like Elizabeth realizing that Paige is alot like her.  Someone who wants to make a difference.  However believing she is looking in the wrong place. It is a good realization for Elizabeth because it is kind of true.   I think Paige is a good mirror into what Elizabeth might have been without all the hardships.  Which means the reverse is true.  Elizabeth is the dark side of Paige.  Which is probably why the don't always get along.  

2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Kate might have been well trained but she was young and I doubt she protected her identity as well as Emmett and Leanne or Philip and Elizabeth.  Once he pulled that first thread and found the answering service she was probably easy to find.

I like to think they were setting that sort of thing up in her scenes with Philip where he was impatient with her spycraft. I remember getting into a thing with somebody over the time they meet in the bar and Kate orders straight vodka and Philip is annoyed. The person thought he was only annoyed at her drinking at all early in the day and thought it was silly to suggest that she shouldn't be ordering vodka, as if ordering vodka made you a Russian spy. But I thought that yes, Philip was annoyed at the vodka and would never order it himself. Not because he thinks somebody would immediately think he was a spy but because he's just that careful. He's not going to want himself associated with anything remotely Russian in the American mind.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎.‎5‎.‎2014 at 9:00 AM, dramachick said:

Oleg really does care!

On ‎8‎.‎5‎.‎2014 at 3:07 PM, bentley said:

I'm hoping those two crazy kids can work it out as well. Which amazes me, because I've disliked his character from the first, but the affair with Nina has shown a different side to him.  I believe he is genuinely concerned about Nina's fate. I just have a bad feeling that when it all goes down, Nina will be dead and the three men will all be left standing.

Oleg has really surprised me. He was at first shown a son of well-to-do father who has got everything but now just he seems to have a golden heart.  

Of course Oleg hasn't to chose Nina and his country, but still.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎.‎5‎.‎2014 at 7:33 AM, NitneLiun said:

I'm starting to like Larrick.

On ‎8‎.‎5‎.‎2014 at 9:56 PM, Rapunzel said:

Me too. Part of me wants to still root for Phillip and Elizabeth (really more for their romance/personal life than anything - and of course I would  love to see them defect), but I like seeing someone starting to figure things out and have a real chance to actually expose the illegals. He took out two pretty key people in the phone center guy and Kate in a very short amount of time and he can definitely do some major damage - imagine how dangerous he could be if he actually had others helping him.  Stan is getting closer too and it will be interesting how they play it if he truly starts to suspect P&E.

On ‎9‎.‎5‎.‎2014 at 0:46 AM, Tara Ariano said:

Larrick was definitely referring to the guys on the base when he said "my friends." He came back from Nicaragua to avenge them.

Larrick is the only character that dislike. It's no coincidence that he is the only character who is seen only as a traitor and murderer. If we had seen the happenings from his POV, I would perhaps see otherwise but what now see is: he was a weak man who let himself to be blackmailed and betray his country, instead f.ex. of making a suicide. Then he let himself blackmailed again - and now, when his comrades died by accident, he blames others, not himself without which there would be no entry to the camp - in short, he is a man who always blames others, he is never responsible for his own actions.

Also, his job is train the contras - people who killed Lucia's family. He is no good man but just like SS-Einsatz men.