Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Episode 7

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

George learns of a vacant seat in Parliament for a Member of Truro and decides to pursue it. Elizabeth and Agatha prepare for Agatha's 100th birthday party, to George's chagrin, and Caroline hosts a fake wedding reception to which the great and good are invited. Meanwhile, there is a new arrival at the Whitworth vicarage.

Unfortunately, this may be one of those episodes I will never watch again. R.I.P Aunt Agatha. I remember that her real name was used in the note Ross received but I don't recall what it was. (First name, Mary, Poldark?)

Ross's mercurial temperament, is ruining everything. Demelza was merely discussing politics with him and he was very cruel to her. I know part of her pain is the lack of attention he is paying to her and I realize it's very flattering to receive Hugh Armitage's CONSTANT attention (Dude shows zero class in pursuing the wife of the man who saved him).  However, all things said and I knew this was coming from all the signs, I still don't like this part of the story.

Osborne couldn't be more of a swine. Was he actually suggesting that he would be willing to bestow his "favors" on Morwenna's sister also?  Slime-ball had better watch his back. He already saw how far Morwenna was willing to go to save Drake, he shouldn't be pushing her further.

Please show, don't show me Sam trying to woo a woman. <clawing my eyes out>

I personally hated to see Aunt Agatha grovelling before George and I know he was besides himself in glee, so I could see Aunt Agatha striking back at the very thing George had thought was truly his, Valentine. So, Aunt Agatha's Black Moon prophesy is sort of self-fulfilling.

• Love 4

I haven't read the books, so I don't know any of the details. However, I have seen P75 but I don't remember what happens after this, and I am getting to the point where I don't give a sh*t what happens to Ross right now. He's not making any logical sense, but then again, logic has never been Ross' strong suit. Unfortunately, acting like an ass is!  There was no reason to treat Demelza like that when all she was asking him to do was protect the people he says he cares about. So far, it's just lip service with him.

Spoiler

Still longing for a woman who was willing to let your brother-in-law hang, is beyond me.  So, NOW he's going to try to go head-to-head against George for the MP vacancy? 

• Love 2

Ross was in shock from just learning that his aunt had died when they had that argument, so I would hope that they could both admit they said things they didn't mean in the heat of the moment and make up later on.  I also hope that line in the preview was taken out of context.  They were doing so well!

• Love 1

Oh, there's the obstinate ridiculously self-righteous Ross we haven't seen for a bit.  Ross here is such a classic example of perfect being the enemy of good.  He and Basset and are fairly like minded on a lot of issues and instead of even trying to see if as a man of influence and notoriety he can find a way to work within the system to make things better for the people he says he wants to help, he'd rather get his back up because it wouldn't be entirely on his terms and instead get snitty with Demelza for basically pointing out this is exactly what he did when he all but handed George the magistrate position and people are suffering as result.  I get that he's distracted and feeling a lot of grief over the death of Agatha as the last of the old Poldark family and guilt over not doing more to care for her, but he's kind of missing the forest for the trees here.

While I may not particularly like Demelza's storyline I get it.  Ross never courted Demelza as an equal.  She was an unloved teenager grateful for his attentions as her employer when she first met and later married him.  Hugh isn't one of the lecherous old men of the neighborhood or even an army captain thinking she should be easy prey because she used to be a kitchen maid and you know how those lowborn girls are.  Dude seriously must have balls the size of watermelons though to not be keeping himself in check with the wife of the man who could have very easily left him to die in France since he was nothing to him at the time.

George was beyond terrible this episode in his malicious glee at denying Agatha the last thing she truly wanted, but he managed to come off if not sympathetic at least understandable in his almost boiling over rage first at Basset's house when the conveniently left open door revealed that he was kept waiting so his "betters" could go bowling and then to hear Ross be offered first what he had convinced himself he had already gotten through his wheeling and dealing and selling off Morwenna in marriage.  And then the actor ratcheted that rage up even another notch after Agatha dropped the paternity bomb.  There was something truly menacing and poisonous in the way he quietly stalked into the room to stare Elizabeth down.  In the end, George got the MP nomination he wanted but even in death Agatha managed to rob him of any sense of joy or triumph in it.

Whitworth continues to be just the worst.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Glade said:

Ross was in shock from just learning that his aunt had died when they had that argument, so I would hope that they could both admit they said things they didn't mean in the heat of the moment and make up later on.  I also hope that line in the preview was taken out of context.  They were doing so well!

Hopefully that is the case. The episode went from Ross and Demelza arm-in-arm, presenting Drake with a new (old, really) home complete with smithy, to Ross entirely ignoring Demelza and allowing that snake Armitage to make his blatant moves on his wife. Armitage was relentless and I'm surprised Ross didn't see him heading towards his wife in the doorway just before Ross said let's go home.

• Love 2

Ross had dismissed the idea that Hugh's attentions were anything more than casual flirting earlier in the episode when Demelza brought it up.  He's also now expressed a couple of times his discomfort at being feted as a hero.  I think that and Basset's offer had him so distracted he wasn't really paying much attention to Demelza or Hugh's laser focus on her.  It's been a recurring thing throughout the series that Ross sometimes loses sight of what's directly in front of him.

This Digital Spy review is worth the read if just for coining the phrases "mine-splaining" and "Pol-dicking" in describing some of Ross's past behavior.

This is the first episode I think I've been really impressed with Jack Farthing as an actor.  Most of the time the best he has is the scene at Dwight and Caroline's "wedding" where he looked like he was chewing broken glass when they were all toasting Ross's heroism.

• Love 3
(edited)
40 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Hopefully that is the case. The episode went from Ross and Demelza arm-in-arm, presenting Drake with a new (old, really) home complete with smithy, to Ross entirely ignoring Demelza and allowing that snake Armitage to make his blatant moves on his wife. Armitage was relentless and I'm surprised Ross didn't see him heading towards his wife in the doorway just before Ross said let's go home.

This I don't get at all--the change in tone from Ross being loving to Ross being a complete asshole, I just wanted to hit him upside the head. E Tomlinson is a beautiful woman so not unrealistic that men would pursue her, but as commented on, the dude that her husband saved? it doesn't help that he is boy band pretty. Jack Farthing was having a damn good time mustache twirling as George, and the guy playing Morwenna's husband couldn't be more repulsive. But getting back to Ross, the stupidity and selfishness is hard to watch at times.

Edited by LiveenLetLive
  • Love 1

What did all here hear (that sounds odd) when Wit-less pondered to Morwenna, that perhaps her sister would learn to love him as she did? I know what I thought, but what did others think he meant?

• Love 1

I just want to say how glad I was to see George actually knowing that this current political position comes to him after being offered to and turned down by Ross, since he never knew for sure about the magistrate position. Along with Aunt Agatha's speculation that someone might have got there before George irt Valentine's parentage. Poor little Valentine, the only innocent one in this mess. And I have to say, that baby actor is the cutest little thing, who wouldn't love him/her just for those saucer eyes?

Ross and Tregirls (well, the actors) need to learn how to use a shovel correctly to dig a hole. I doubt scraping it across the top of the dirt is the most efficient and easiest way to work your way down. Use your foot to push the shovel into the soil, men! Loved Ross' eulogy to his Aunt Agatha while he was digging her grave though. George having her buried without ceremony was another petty, evil action. Piled on top of the rest of his petty, evil actions.

I already dumped a bunch of words in the "Book vs. Show" thread since that's where most of my problems with this episode lie.

I did laugh at Morwenna's sister rubbing her sore feet in front of old Osborne. I know the character can't possibly know about Osborne's, um, interests so kudos to the show for adding that bit of action. 

• Love 3
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Glaze Crazy said:

I did laugh at Morwenna's sister rubbing her sore feet in front of old Osborne. I know the character can't possibly know about Osborne's, um, interests so kudos to the show for adding that bit of action. 

Although the show of her foot was intentional, I believe her intent was to show her cleavage to unsettle him and perhaps send him to a cold shower or "something similar".  She used her sore foot as a ruse to bend over and show her decolletage, not realizing that it was a doubly enticing view. (I meant foot and cleavage, not just "The Girls")

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

What did all here hear (that sounds odd) when Wit-less pondered to Morwenna, that perhaps her sister would learn to love him as she did? I know what I thought, but what did others think he meant?

I think he was just being a pompous self centered jerk who thinks everyone loves is awesome self. I don't think it was said in a sexual way when he said it. Plus it makes the foot-rubbing, cleavage-flashing (good catch!) encounter with the sister even more funny. I agree with you too, Jacks-Son. I don't think the sister was trying to tempt him with that action, just embarrass him enough to get him out of the room so she can talk freely with Morwenna.

(edited)
6 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

This Digital Spy review is worth the read if just for coining the phrases "mine-splaining" and "Pol-dicking" in describing some of Ross's past behavior.

@nodorothyparker: Thanks for pointing towards that review. I shall bookmark that site for future reference. Along with your coined phrases, I particularly like the phrase used to describe the Honourable Rev. Osborne Wit-Less, "Insatiable sex hippo".  Hah!

I see the writer of the article agrees with me somewhat when he wrote: "Christian Brassington embraces Osborne's larger-than-life nature with gusto as he sweats and swaggers with all the charm of defrosting meat. He's a pantomime villain in pantaloons – a preening bully, one who isn't content to be a lascivious bastard to Morwenna, but also her sister, and her feet.

His rushing off after catching a glimpse of her stocking-clad tootsies is the show's first masturbation joke, and it isn't a subtle one."

Edited by Jacks-Son

Poor little Valentine, the only innocent one in this mess. And I have to say, that baby actor is the cutest little thing, who wouldn't love him/her just for those saucer eyes?

Is he really?  I would put his mother in the same category.  I'm sorry, but I find it hard to castigate Elizabeth for consenting to have sex with a man seconds before he was about to rape her.  And Demelza is a victim of Ross' infidelity, as well.

I  just came here to say what an idiot Ross is.  I caught up late with episode 7 so only yesterday did I watch him turn down the MP nomination and see it go to George.  AFTER he already turned down the magistrate position and see that go to George.  ARRRRRRGHH!!!!  How dumb can one man BE???????!!!!  You know, this story is clearly called "Poldark," but if it were called "Warleggen" (and I think one of the books is called Warleggen but that's not what I mean -- what I mean is that if the series had made George the hero, and not Ross), it would be about how the aristocracy are sliding into poverty and idiocy, while the self-made capitalists are smart enough to take the important decision-making jobs that the "nobility" are too noble to turn down.  It's so infuriating that this exact plot arc has happened TWICE to the *same characters.*

Okay, rant over.  Oh wait no, there's another thing to rant about.  How could Ross be so stupid as to double-down on his career idiocy with his idiotic behavior to his wife????  If Ross had half a brain he'd see that the one person he should never intentionally piss off is Demelza.  Just for the sake of keeping a happy and stable home life, he should at least reign in his tendency towards impulsive, reckless speech with her (and plus she is a wonderful character and wonderful for and to him).  But nooooooo.  Not Ross.  

Okay now I think I'm done.  I hope the show makes Ross worthy of affection and respect again soon, but for now, I've had it with this moron.  

• Love 7

I can’t deal with what seems to be plot driven seesawing of Ross and Demelza’s marriage. They’re happy, no! They’re not communicating or Ross isn’t paying attention. But wait! They’re happy agaIn! No, but wait! Ross said no (AGAIN) and so because of that, Demelza is contemplating an affair?

And Armitage is now dead to me.???

So, Aunt Agatha wasn’t 100 or was Georgie lying about that? I HATE HIM SO MUCH.

For someone who is still so desperate to be respected, he sure proved it by is utter disrespect in having Agatha’s coffin just dumped. No funeral or anything. But that’s George. 

I am just not enjoying this season.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Why is Armitage suddenly a villain?  I didn’t think so when I read the books, I don’t get it, maybe I’m ignorant but I don’t get the hate. 

The hate is due to the fact that Ross saved his life when he didn't have to and look how he repays him. As far as I'm concerned, he's scum.

8 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

The hate is due to the fact that Ross saved his life when he didn't have to and look how he repays him. As far as I'm concerned, he's scum.

I never felt that way when I was reading the books, but that’s because the rescue went a tad differently.

Gosh, scum... wow, just wow.

Edited by Neurochick

NOT AUNT AGATHA!!!!!!! I hate everything!

Ross is so damn stupid. Now the lower classes he claims to love will be even more screwed because of his pride.

Dammit Drake, if you had listened to Morwenna and stopped filling the Trenwith pond with frogs, this wouldn't have happened. At least Morwenna's sister is looking out for her. Maybe the sweaty vicar will have a tumble down the stairs while her shoe bothers her again.

On 7/25/2017 at 2:38 AM, Jacks-Son said:

Christian Brassington embraces Osborne's larger-than-life nature with gusto as he sweats and swaggers with all the charm of defrosting meat.

*SNORT*

• Love 2

I wonder why GHScopiosRule claims he's dead to her/him?    :-|

Neurochick says: "Gosh, scum... wow, just wow."

Okay, I will amend that, he aspires to be scum!

Popples, I can't claim that quote; I read it somewhere and thought it was a great description of the odious one.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I never felt that way when I was reading the books, but then I’m no moralist.  Besides Armitage didn’t really do anything.  I think Ross saw it as mindless flirtation, if that.

Well, the way it's being played here, he's way too attentive to Demelza.  True, he hasn't crossed any lines yet, but he seems all too obviously heading in that direction.  I'd like to say Demelza should be telling him to cool down & back off, but is she in a position to do that?  Caroline could do that in a sec, but Demelza?  Idk.

So is Whitworth still being played for giggles?  That scene where he had to excuse himself real quick, just at the sight of Morwenna's sister's tootsies in a sock, really squicked me out.  Ew.

Was Ross a bonehead to blow off Sir Francis?  I actually sorta agreed with him -- and given Ross's independent nature, this offer didn't seem right for him at all.  So is he supposed to do everything Demelza wants?  And should he be taking anything that's offered to him first, merely to stop George & his horribleness.  Uh, probably.

Aw, baby Valentine looked so cute, reaching his little arms out to icky George.  But could the producers be any more obvious with the casting here?  A little baby with a full head of jet black curls?  What's next, producers?  Will baby Valentine also look into the cam with brooding stares?  Or will baby Valentine be turning down judgeships & Parliament positions too?

I'm confused by Elizabeth.  She was rather sweet to Agatha.  Was this the nature of her relationship with Agatha -- or is this inconsistent?  I mean, Agatha was kinda torturing her about the possibility of Ross being Valentine's father.  And yet, there she was being so sweet to her.  I thought she was respectful to her, but not much more.  Would she have stepped in to speak up for Agatha if she had witnessed George's cruelty toward her?  Color me confused.  She had to have closed her eyes to that shitty burial Aggie got.  Eh, Elizabeth stinks, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

I agree.  Hitting on your rescuer's wife!  How stupid can the guy be?  Plus, he looks like he's 15.  Ugh..  

• Love 5

Rowella was so tormenting Ossie with her stockinged foot and mentioning her toe. 

Not only does poor Morwenna have to submit to that odious toesucker, but the poor girl is also up the duff.

She told Demelza that her husband was a monster and seemed to hint that no one had told her what she could expect on her wedding night. I’m sure most young girls in those days went to their marriage beds woefully ignorant and utterly horrified by what was to happen next.

• Love 4

Ross so annoys me with his self-righteous pureness of morals. He is always blathering on about "doing real good" and guess what - you could have done a lot of good as an MP. Ross.  But it would have meant some compromise - as all adults must

But of course Ross doesn't want to be a compromising adult - he just wants to glower handsomely and act heroic. Bleh.

Aunt Agatha's last actions will make sure that Georgie and Elizabeth won't have another moment of content in their marriage.  It serves them right.

I would wish Demelza fun with the pretty young thing but his vision problem 

Spoiler

is foreshadowing for him going blind, isn't it?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Not only does poor Morwenna have to submit to that odious toesucker, but the poor girl is also up the duff.

Oooh, ooh, I know that!!!  I just learned it from another Brit. It means, she's pregnant.  <slow clapping>  Here in the States, we say stupid shit like, "She's got a bun in the oven".  :-). Matter of fact, we discussed the various ways people indicate that another woman was pregnant. We came up with a list.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Well, the way it's being played here, he's way too attentive to Demelza.  True, he hasn't crossed any lines yet, but he seems all too obviously heading in that direction.  I'd like to say Demelza should be telling him to cool down & back off, but is she in a position to do that?  Caroline could do that in a sec, but Demelza?  Idk.

Yes, Demelza is in a position to tell him or any other man who approaches her, to back away. She's not Ross's servant, but his wife. And that alone deserves some respect. And for Armitage in particular--this is how he repays the man who saved his life? by mooning after his wife and telling her he wants to see her again? Alone? And when she looks askance, as an afterthought, throws in Ross's name? If she could tell the other men to stay away (after she changed her mind about sleeping with someone as payback for Ross boinking Elizabeth), then she surely has the right to tell Armitage to back the fuck away, or that it's not proper for him to approach her thusly or say the things he's saying.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I can’t deal with what seems to be plot driven seesawing of Ross and Demelza’s marriage. They’re happy, no! They’re not communicating or Ross isn’t paying attention. But wait! They’re happy agaIn! No, but wait! Ross said no (AGAIN) and so because of that, Demelza is contemplating an affair?

I know. I wonder if the BBC version had more clarity, and PBS cut some of that? It was whiplash-inducing.

11 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Rowella was so tormenting Ossie with her stockinged foot and mentioning her toe. 

I loved that, but how did Rowella know about the toe sucking? Is that something else the was cut?

George just has no patience at all. He wants everything he wants now. He's really got to slow his roll a bit. I get that his inferiority complex and resentfulness is working overtime, but wow. He was nowhere near being able to drop in unannounced on Sir Francis.  

I loved the curdled-milk expression on his face when Ross was being toasted for being a hero. Jack Farthing played that perfectly.

In some ways, Ross and George are flip sides of the same coin when it comes to power.

Poor Aunt Agatha. Denied her birthday party because George was having an epic hissy fit. I kind of don't blame her for letting George know that Valentine might not be his. That will haunt him, as he sees having an heir as a big part of his scheme to get a better place in society. And if Valentine does turn out to be affected by rickets, I hate to see how George will react. A "cripple" and a possible bastard? Oof. Poor Valentine.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Poor Aunt Agatha. Denied her birthday party because George was having an epic hissy fit. I kind of don't blame her for letting George know that Valentine might not be his. That will haunt him, as he sees having an heir as a big part of his scheme to get a better place in society. And if Valentine does turn out to be affected by rickets, I hate to see how George will react. A "cripple" and a possible bastard? Oof. Poor Valentine.

This, to me, is a dual edged sword. I like that Aunt Agatha slapped George's face with the possibility that Valentine may not be his. He deserved that for his cruel, petty handling of her upcoming birthday party.  However I didn't like the constant comments that he may have Ricketts. It's not Valentine's fault and to denigrate him for it T'int right, T'int fair, T'int proper!

• Love 5

They live in a time period where a lot of people would find a sickly or physically handicapped son a less than desirable marriage or business partner.  Some would see it as a failing of the Warleggan blood that George is so desperate to prove is just as good as anybody's.  Agatha's constant needling George about it seemed to be more a reminder of those realities because she knows what a climber he is rather than what she may actually think about it personally.

I love Agatha dropping the paternity bomb with her dying breath.  Sure, we can argue that maybe she should have considered what the consequences were likely to be for Valentine and even Elizabeth.  But George is so damn smug in denying her what he knows is her last real wish, the one thing she has pinned the last couple years of her very long life on reaching, for no other reason than petty spite toward a frail old woman that you can see how she must have felt justified in hitting him back with the one thing that she knew would long outlive her.  George now gets to live the rest of his life with at least the suspicion if not the outright knowledge that Ross once again beat him to the punch to deny him his heir with his "prize" of a wife.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I know. I wonder if the BBC version had more clarity, and PBS cut some of that? It was whiplash-inducing.

I loved that, but how did Rowella know about the toe sucking? Is that something else the was cut?

I think some of the stuff you are struggling with is the unfortunate consequence of trying to cram two lengthy novels into a single season, alas. It has been a problem for the show from the start. The first book is the slightest, but even that was compressed and could have easily filled a full season on its own, never mind the longer books that followed.

4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

She asked her sister to "tell her everything."  That's why I think the scene with her foot was deliberate on her part.

• Love 4

I, too, thought the foot scene was deliberate on Rowella's part. That would explain her remark that she knew how to get rid of him.  What it doesn't explain is why a foot fetishist would run off when you would expect Sir Slimeball to drop to his knees and start massaging her poor little sore foot for her.  The girls know he's a monster, and yet they're toying with him.

I really wish Aunt Agatha hadn't dropped the doubt about Valentine's parentage into George's petty head.  Elizabeth and George are already neglectful parents, they might actually harm the child now if they think he belongs to Ross.

Demelza isn't stupid about men and she's, if not encouraging Armitage, not being particularly cold either.

It's all becoming rather worrisome!

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I, too, thought the foot scene was deliberate on Rowella's part. That would explain her remark that she knew how to get rid of him.  What it doesn't explain is why a foot fetishist would run off when you would expect Sir Slimeball to drop to his knees and start massaging her poor little sore foot for her.  The girls know he's a monster, and yet they're toying with him.

Biting my tongue here, but the foot scene WAS deliberate. Now, as to why the odious one ran off instead of dropping down to massage her foot, I think he had more pressing concerns and needed to "get a handle on it".  I think you get my drift.

• Love 4

At the outset, I liked Agatha & will miss the character & actress. George is a bad guy. 

Agatha’s truth bomb about Valentine’s parentage on her way out over the cancelled party makes me think of how George stewed over those toads put down his trousers & heavens knows what else Ross & company did to him over his apparent childhood airs. 

Resentment that twists into hate is malignant & will take you places you never thought you would go. Agatha screwed Elizabeth & an innocent child, Valentine, by outing Elizabeth’s paternity lie, hence her appropriate apology to Elizabeth. 

Farthing did a great job conveying George’s devastation — he was gutted. Lying about the paternity of a child is low & whatever I think of George, I felt for him still, credit to Farthing who looked about to fall over. 

Where Agatha lost me was picking at Valentine’s rickets, especially when by her own estimation he is actually a Poldark, her blood. Really, what choice did Elizabeth have but marry George thanks to Ross POLDARK? It’s not like Ross wants to or will face up to what he did — step up & claim Valentine & take the backlash it would entail & inflict on Demelza, Jeremy & Clowance & his life in general? Ross’ attitude when Demelza spoke to him about Valentine’s plight made it clear. What little love Valentine knew will likely go by the wayside. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

I agree.  Hitting on your rescuer's wife!  How stupid can the guy be?  Plus, he looks like he's 15.  Ugh..  

Not only does he look 15, his life experience puts him at about that age too. He's a poetic soul and a romantic who was sent off to war.  I think that explains HIS behaviour.  Demelza hasn't had any other love except for Ross, and it wasn't that romantic.  Perhaps she likes this young man's attentions?  Perhaps he makes her feel "like a woman"?

On 11/5/2017 at 10:08 PM, Neurochick said:

Why is Armitage suddenly a villain?  I didn’t think so when I read the books, I don’t get it, maybe I’m ignorant but I don’t get the hate. 

I can't really take him seriously cause his terrible pick-up lines are so over the top and in the span of a few seconds, they just decided to have him randomly fall desperately in love with Demelza whom he's met like twice. I mean OK dude. We know where this is going but they're doing a very poor job of developing Hugh into a real person and not just a human cliche. 

3 minutes ago, Anothermi said:

Not only does he look 15, his life experience puts him at about that age too. He's a poetic soul and a romantic who was sent off to war.  I think that explains HIS behaviour.  Demelza hasn't had any other love except for Ross, and it wasn't that romantic.  Perhaps she likes this young man's attentions?  Perhaps he makes her feel "like a woman"?

I don't at all buy that Hugh's feelings for Demelza are like some kind of soul crushing love. I think he's just a horny teenager who needs to get laid after being locked in a prison for a few months. As for Demelza, she probably just enjoys finally being someone's "Elizabeth" for once in her life. She loved Ross long before he loved her and even then it was along side his continued feelings for Elizabeth. Even when her marriage was going well, she still suspected that Ross would always love Elizabeth more and would drop her like a hot potato if Elizabeth was free (and he kind of confirmed some of her suspicions). 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yes, Demelza is in a position to tell him or any other man who approaches her, to back away. She's not Ross's servant, but his wife. And that alone deserves some respect. And for Armitage in particular--this is how he repays the man who saved his life? by mooning after his wife and telling her he wants to see her again? Alone? And when she looks askance, as an afterthought, throws in Ross's name? If she could tell the other men to stay away (after she changed her mind about sleeping with someone as payback for Ross boinking Elizabeth), then she surely has the right to tell Armitage to back the fuck away, or that it's not proper for him to approach her thusly or say the things he's saying.

What you're saying is of course right & true, but here's what's bothering me.  George keeps refering to her as the "skullery maid" or similar derogatory names.  Do others in high society see her the same way?  I get the feeling Demelza (despite her spirited nature) must feel the need to remain polite in whatever situation she's faced with, when in these high society functions.

Sure, she could be more expressive, in a polite, but firm way, in telling Armitage to back off. But for now, she seems to be enjoying the attention from this young upper class cutie.  He hasn't been disrespectful to her or crossed any lines that could be seen as distasteful for a married woman . . . yet.  While bonehead Ross's attention is elsewhere, this cutie is good for her ego.  Seems sorta OK.

I think, given the times, it's really up to Ross to speak to Armitage about his attention toward his wife.  Demelza told him about it.  But Ross either didn't believe it or didn't care.  So I guess it does fall to Demelza.  Ross's indifference (or distraction) is certainly not a signal of him giving permission or approval for her to carry on a flirtation with Armitage.  

No, if Demelza permits this flirtation to go on further, she's making very specific choices, regardless of Ross's behavior or treatment of her.  She'll have to own & take responsibility for these choices because it ultimately speaks to the nature of her character.  Same goes for Ross.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

George keeps refering to her as the "skullery maid" or similar derogatory names.  Do others in high society see her the same way?

From what we've seen, most people find Demelza charming. Ross could marry royalty and George would find a way to sneer.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

What you're saying is of course right & true, but here's what's bothering me.  George keeps refering to her as the "skullery maid" or similar derogatory names.  Do others in high society see her the same way?  I get the feeling Demelza (despite her spirited nature) must feel the need to remain polite in whatever situation she's faced with, when in these high society functions.

Yes, he does, because he's jealous that she's been able to rise and prosper in society despite her humble beginnings, whereas he's still toadying up, trying to make the gentry accept him, and is failing, despite the money he has.

50 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

From what we've seen, most people find Demelza charming. Ross could marry royalty and George would find a way to sneer.

Yep.

• Love 1

One thing I forgot to mention was that Morwenna said her mother told her absolutely nothing about sex and pregnancy and childbirth. I know that sort of thing was dealt with very differently back then, but wow, poor Morwenna. Bad enough to have no clue about sex and then get stuck with Whitworth, undoubtably a selfish asshole concerned only with his own satisfaction. And then getting pregnant with no emotional support. Ugh. I'm almost surprised she didn't decide to pull an Ophelia given she's so deeply miserable.

• Love 1

Yup, George has always believed that society's rejection of him is due to his background  and seeing that Demelza is accepted despite being of even lower birth just proves to him that it's not his background, it's the fact that he's a douchebag that bothers people. But in trying to be accepted, he just becomes a bigger douchebag etc. Also George just cannot even fathom how Ross could marry someone of such common stock and this seems to be the one area where he feels like he's outdone Ross (well.. lol, until the baby paternity bomb).

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:33 PM, nodorothyparker said:

Oh, there's the obstinate ridiculously self-righteous Ross we haven't seen for a bit.  Ross here is such a classic example of perfect being the enemy of good.  He and Basset and are fairly like minded on a lot of issues and instead of even trying to see if as a man of influence and notoriety he can find a way to work within the system to make things better for the people he says he wants to help, he'd rather get his back up because it wouldn't be entirely on his terms and instead get snitty with Demelza for basically pointing out this is exactly what he did when he all but handed George the magistrate position and people are suffering as result.

I get that we as the audience know that George will be the 2nd choice and will be a truly horrendous MP when Ross turns them down, but I don't think Ross should have to live his life predicting what terrible things George will do and stop them from happening before he gets the opportunity. They're not Batman & The Joker. Also at this point, he's promised to stay out of George's life and business.

Honestly, some people are not meant to be politicians and don't have the temperament for it. Ross is a stubborn renegade in every sense and would not suit the MP role at all, in which he'd have to learn to keep his mouth shut and play well with others. "wanting to help people" isn't the only qualification for a career in politics, back then or now.

Edited by rebecca dewinter
  • Love 4