Type keyword(s) to search

The Chefs/Cheftestants of Top Chef

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Happy for you and your Mom, caitmeg. The chef referred to in the article is Grant Achatz, who was very open about his experience. Wishing Shirley the same recovery.

I'm sure Shirley is aware of Achatz's journey, as she chooses goes through chemo and radiation and a potential higher chance of recurrence over having her entire tongue removed, as she describes her choices in her Instagram post.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/16/2024 at 8:55 AM, tv echo said:

Harold Dieterle is opening Il Totano in May in the West Village...

A Top Chef Winner Finds a New Italian Perch
By Florence Fabricant   May 14, 2024
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/14/dining/nyc-restaurant-news.html 

The First Winner of ‘Top Chef’ to Open a New Manhattan Restaurant
by Melissa McCart  May 15, 2024, 
https://ny.eater.com/2024/5/15/24153822/il-totano-opening-harold-dieterle-flex-mussels 

I always liked Harold. Nice, no drama, creative, competent.

• Like 2

I recently read Kwame Onwuachi's 2019 memoir Notes from a Young Black Chef (actually, listened to him read the audiobook). It was interesting. At times he does come off as having a bit of a chip on his shoulder, though not without reason given the subtle and unsubtle racism he was subjected to as one of the few Black people in fine dining kitchens.

On 5/12/2024 at 2:29 PM, mlp said:

Not long after the show, he opened a high end, high cost restaurant with some novel concept I've forgotten and it failed in very short order, a couple weeks as I recall, losing a lot of money for his investors. 

That's not quite how things happened. The investors, who had no experience with restaurants, basically recruited Kwame and his best friend and fellow restaurant guy (they met while at CIA), gave him carte blanche on concept, and proceeded to spend money hand over foot on outfitting the place, sparing no expense on anything. They then insisted on charging much more than Kwame wanted for his tasting menu to try to make some of it back, but they were relying on pre-selling tickets and when Tom Sietsema of WaPo gave a not-great review after they'd barely opened those dried up. The two investors weren't even speaking to each other and in the hole, and they pulled the plug. Kwame admits he and his partner were naive not to have done some due diligence regarding the investors before embarking on the project, instead of assuming they were good for all that expense ((they were only in their mid twenties)..

• Useful 3

Edward Lee shows up in a cooking competition show in S. Korea, called Culinary Class Wars (on Netflix). It's set up rather differently than your typical competition show (Lee is one of the "white spoons" who are established, famous, chefs, going up against the "black spoons.") Won't go into more details, but it's entertaining if you can handle not being able to scroll your phone while watching it, unless of course you speak Korean. And no, Lee doesn't speak more than a few words of Korean, so they subtitle him in the original :).