Type keyword(s) to search

Underrated Artists

greenbean
  • Start Topic

What artist do you believe is underrated? Is there someone whose voice, music, songwriting or instrumental skills you think is overlooked by the music press or buying public. That they're not as appreciated as they should be?

From any time or genre.

I've recently discovered Ciara, and I just love quite a few of her songs. Not the dancey pop tracks, but her slower R&B numbers. Her voice is very mellow and sweet, the music smooth. A welcomed relief from the post-Aguilera over-singing that has blighted music for some time. I really like her stuff, but I've noticed she gets derided and is seen as more of a dancer. Well I think she's very underrated and have been enjoying her songs!

Edited by greenbean

Okay, I know he is a Beatle and therefore not underrated in the technical sense, but I don't think Ringo Starr gets the recognition he deserves.  Is he the most talented Beatle?  Hell no, not by a longshot, but Ringo is a good album, dammnit.

• Love 3

I don't get why Rocco DeLuca isn't more popular. He's performed on major late night shows, but he just never seemed to grab an audience. It boggles my mind, because he's like the next Jeff Buckley in terms of talent and really soulful lyrics/singing.

• Love 1
I've recently discovered Ciara, and I just love quite a few of her songs. Not the dancey pop tracks, but her slower R&B numbers.

ITA.  I don't know if I would say she's underrated, but Ciara could make a killing when it comes to her slow jams, because unlike a lot of her peers, she has legitimate sex appeal.  I think her pop tracks are weak, like "Goodies".  But "Body Party" and "Promise" are real stand-outs.  There's a strong Prince influence in Promise, and on a completely shallow note, she looks smoking hot in the video.

Underrated artists, I'm a big fan of Yuna and Toro y Moi.  Apparently, Yuna is getting a lot of press because Pharrell is working with her.  I'm glad, I just hope she doesn't change her sound or anything.  But I've liked Pharrell since N.E.R.D, and I love that he invests in media that would usually get ignored, like Yuna's music, and the Misdaventures of the Awkward Black Girl, a hilarious web-series.

I've had Toro y Moi's music on repeat for a while now.  Causers of This is my favorite album of his.  I don't think his music is for everyone, but I fell in love with it immediately.  Wish I'd gone to see his show, but I didn't know about him then.

Also underrated was J. Dilla.  Taken way too soon.  Easily one of the best hip hop producers and rappers in his generation, and it breaks my heart to know what could have been.  If you haven't heard his stuff, pick up his album Donuts.  Simply wonderful, and he worked on it while he was in his sickbed.

• Love 1

China Soul.

She's an American singer currently crafting her art in the UK. She has a very soulful (no pun intended) and old school voice. Her initial self titled CD did very well, yet she still sings in parks for crowds. Not sure why.

She is, of course, the only daughter of the very under-rated David Soul of Starsky & Hutch fame. Though she looks nothing like him except her smile.

Personally I prefer David's music, but I do like China's voice.

• Love 1

I really like A cappella which is definitely not mainstream though certain groups do well touring like Straight No Chaser & Pentatonix.

Shows like the Sing-off are giving groups like this more exposure.  The newest winner of the TV show The Sing-Off-- Home Free has recently released an album which a mix of songs from different genres.  I think their album also has some original songs plus covers.  And everything you hear is vocal.

Story of My Life - One Direction (Home Free a cappella cover)

Home Free - Ring of Fire (featuring Avi Kaplan of Pentatonix)

Avicii - Wake Me Up - (Home Free a cappella cover)

@Bunty , thanks for sharing those vids.  My daughter (14) is a HUGE One Direction fan (whose teenage daughter isn't, right?) and I am not quite sure she has seen that first one, so I sent it to her to watch.  Thanks for those others.

I love a cappella - have you heard of the AcaBelles?  They are fabulous!

I guess they qualify for underrated, so far.  I am glad a cappella is making sort of comeback.

@Bunty , thanks for sharing those vids.  My daughter (14) is a HUGE One Direction fan (whose teenage daughter isn't, right?) and I am not quite sure she has seen that first one, so I sent it to her to watch.  Thanks for those others.

You are most welcome.  I had not heard of the AcaBelles.  Most of my exposure to university A cappella groups has been through The Sing Off.

I especially liked BYU's Vocal Point

&

University of Rochester YellowJackets

• Love 1

Also underrated was J. Dilla.  Taken way too soon.  Easily one of the best hip hop producers and rappers in his generation, and it breaks my heart to know what could have been.  If you haven't heard his stuff, pick up his album Donuts.  Simply wonderful, and he worked on it while he was in his sickbed.

I agree.  I have the Donuts album myself.  R.I.P., J. Dilla

• Love 1

Semi-Precious Weapons got a glimpse of fame when opening for Lady Gaga but are still criminally underrated.  Older stuff is a mix of glam rock and garage/grunge.  Newer stuff is much more polished, like the following:

And if you want 100% unpolished jams for spontaneous dance parties, I bring you Foxy Shazam:

Lloyd Cole's work both with his 80s band The Commotions and as a solo artist is criminally underrated:

The two tracks above demonstrate his versatility as an artist perfectly. 

• Love 3

Even though I know they gather a big crowd and have an Academy Award and a well known song, my favorite artist/band is Glen Hansard/SwellSeason/ The Frames. I would pay five dollars to see them back in the day at Metro, now not so much. They are so much more than "Falling Slowly". So many great songs that I do not think get to see the light of day by non-fans (Fitzcarraldo and Say it to me Now, are two of my favorites). Plus Glen is so great live.

I consider Fine Young Cannibals to be one of my favorite underrated groups of the late 80's/early 90's, even though they only lasted for a couple of records.

Edited by garnet
  • Love 3

Not sure I could stand another earworm a la You Drive Me Crazy...which is too bad because just on the groups' name I would have given their stuff a shot. 

Of course, to this day I don't know whether I love the music by Echo & the Bunnymen or just love their name.

• Love 2

Of course, to this day I don't know whether I love the music by Echo & the Bunnymen or just love their name.

Well, I love both!

The Housemartins were fairly short-lived, but their music was quite good and infectious. And the band spawned two other bigger-time bands, The Beautiful South and Fatboy Slim.

Edited to add this. I dare you not to dance in your chair. 

Edited by PrincessLuceval
  • Love 1

Lloyd Cole's work both with his 80s band The Commotions and as a solo artist is criminally underrated:

I just rediscovered Lloyd Cole as a solo artist & want to try something of his with the Commotions - any recommendations?

Edited by MargeGunderson

In another thread I mentioned Storm Large.  She's just released a CD of classics and I love her take on I've Got You Under My Skin.  Unfortunately, it won't let me copy and paste the recording, but if you click on the link and go to the first of three options (the studio recording-right under the "Order Le Bonheur Now" button), you can listen to it.  I tried the second one, which is the live version, and it's not quite as good, so if you're interested, listen to the first option.

What artist do you believe is underrated? Is there someone whose voice, music, songwriting or instrumental skills you think is overlooked by the music press or buying public. That they're not as appreciated as they should be?

It's hard for me to answer this because I pay very little attention to what other people like and I have no interest in music journalism. My only gauge of these things is whatever ends up in the top 40. I will second Yuna. Artists like Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson know how to write pop hits but I think it's worth it to do a deep dive and listen to the rest of the songs on the albums that aren't the singles that make it to the radio. Then there are the people who have their fan bases but should really be appreciated by everyone... Fiona Apple, Melanie Fiona, Beautiful Small Machines, April Smith, Oh Land, the bird and the bee, etc.

For mid 60s rock/pop, I came across a band whose music still holds up fairly well - The Critters.

They did a version of "A Younger Girl" (which the Lovin' Spoonful made famous) which rivals other recordings.  Their biggest hit was "Mr. Dieingly Sad";   this was the tune that lead me to finding this group.  I'm also partial to their tunes, "Don't Let The Rain Fall Down On Me" and "Children & Flowers" (written by Jackie DeShannon).

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 1

I realize this is probably a very-Americanized thought on an "underrated artist" (since I believe he's fairly famous throughout the rest of the world), but I always think its a shame that Robbie Williams is best known in America for "Millennium" and "Angels" (aka, that song Jessica Simpson ruined by screeching it).  He has some really good albums, but for some reason, he just never made it over here.  

• Love 3

Went hopping on YT and discovered  another group that a lot of oldies stations have forgotten: The Uniques.

Their two biggest hits were "Not Too Long Ago" (1965) and a lost gem of a tune called "All These Things" (1965).  I think it was the timing as there were a lot of great songs  released in '65  it was easy to get lost in the shuffle.

Interestingly enough the group was fronted by Joe Stampley, who became a hit solo artist in country music in the 70s and 80s.

I also found a great link for forgotten oldies: Tunedex Memories.  What oldies radio  should be.

On 6/25/2022 at 4:55 PM, JustHereForFood said:

I think that Sara Bareilles is quite underrated. But I'm not sure if she doesn't prefer it that way, she seems like a rather shy person.

I really like her. It's hard to be sad listening to either Sara Bareilles or Colbie Caillat.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

I’m calling this group underrated because the only people I hear talking about how incredible they are is other musicians - Sleep Token. I can’t really give a genre for them because they do a bit of everything. Some songs are heavy, some have an R&B feel, some are sad, one sounds like Imogen Heap. I guess you could say they’re very atmospheric or vibe-y. All I know is they haven’t put out a bad song and it’s eargasms whenever I listen. Happy to share recommendations if anyone wants some. 

• Like 1
On 4/29/2014 at 12:47 PM, greenbean said:

From any time or genre.

I've recently discovered Ciara, and I just love quite a few of her songs. Not the dancey pop tracks, but her slower R&B numbers. Her voice is very mellow and sweet, the music smooth. A welcomed relief from the post-Aguilera over-singing that has blighted music for some time. I really like her stuff, but I've noticed she gets derided and is seen as more of a dancer. Well I think she's very underrated and have been enjoying her songs!

Aloe Blacc. He is an incredibly talented singer, songwriter and instrumentalist who has written and produced some amazing music, but he hasn't had a lot of mainstream success. His voice is soulful and powerful, and his songwriting is thoughtful and meaningful. He deserves more appreciation and recognition for the music he has created.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

Completely forgotten in the era of Madonna, but one of my under appreciated (and yes, probably underrated) was Martika.  Toy Soldiers was my jam back then.  I liked me a sad song 

Oh, flashback!  My boyfriend at the time was so ridiculously into that album, I heard it all the time.  I liked "Toy Soldiers" and "More Than You Know" and her cover of "I Feel the Earth Move" was okay, but I got sick of it all.  The only one I still like today is "Toy Soldiers".

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh, flashback!  My boyfriend at the time was so ridiculously into that album, I heard it all the time.  I liked "Toy Soldiers" and "More Than You Know" and her cover of "I Feel the Earth Move" was okay, but I got sick of it all.  The only one I still like today is "Toy Soldiers".

Same.  My friend had Martika’s album (Martika’s Kitchen) on tape…and I liked a few of the songs, but none were as memorable as Toy Soldiers

Edited by Sarahsmile416
Because it was autocorrected to Martina 🤦🏼‍♀️