Type keyword(s) to search

Season 12: Spoilers

Lamb18
  • Start Topic

I couldn't open the Spoilers posted in another thread, but after a little research it looks Season 12 will be in Boston. Sources is The Eater. I'll try to include a link.

Note: I'm unable to insert a link to the article.

Edited by Lamb18

I'm glad to finally hear about a new season.  At least Boston won't be sweltering hot. Bastet - every time I see your name my brain converts it into 'the cat Bastet'.  

Bastet - every time I see your name my brain converts it into 'the cat Bastet'.

Amelia Peabody fan, are you?

I used to travel to Boston annually, but it has been many years since my last visit.  It will be fun if they have challenges at restaurants I've been to, but regardless of where the show is set I hate when they get bogged down in location-themed challenges.  Local chefs as guest judges, challenges set at local restaurants/events, etc. are all fine, but not when they start stretching to relate everything back to the city.

• Love 1
(edited)

Possible challenges/locations: a Boston Tea Party challenge, they have to throw tea off a boat, then jump in and rescue the tea and use it in their dish.  There will probably be something with 4th of July (if they're still taping).  I don't know when they started filming but I wonder if there's something with the Boston Marathon/Patriot's Day.  Maybe a Boston baked bean Quickfire.  I've only been in Boston once - almost 30 years ago - and I remember the north end being Italian. I wonder if it still is.

Of course they'll go to Plymouth Plantation and do a Thanksgiving dinner.

P.S. I'm an Amelia Peabody fan, too.

Edited by Lamb18

I can also see a clambake themed event on a beach (Cape Cod?) and I've heard they are going to Plimouth Plantation -- Thanksgiving anyone?

For a Chowder throwdown, they could bring in Jasper White -- he was one of the fore-runners of foodie cuisine in Boston and now manages a casual, but excellent seafood restaurant The Summer Shack: http://www.summershackrestaurant.com/Jasper-White-Biography.asp

Ming Tsai owns Blue Ginger in Wellesley -- he's been a guest judge before: http://www.ming.com/about-ming/biography.htm

Boston is also home to Barbara Lynch, who was on Top Chef Masters.  And Jody Adams, too!

I know Julia Childs is gone, but perhaps her kitchen set will be visited. She did film at PBS in Brighton for decades.  Maybe recreating one of her dishes?  No idea who would be a fit judge there!  PBS fundraiser?

They could also do a filming during the Scooper Bowl -- more ice cream per capita is consumed in New England.  Surely there is an appropriate challenge to be had with ice cream!

Dare I suggest a maple syrup challenge as well?  (Just don't tie it into the Molasses Flood.)

Apples, cranberries, blueberries, and lots of lobstah and clams.

While I love having moved out of Boston (cost of living!), I wish I were there to be a restaurant wars guest!

I will be in Boston soon at a conference, and DH will be wandering around trying to entertain himself while I'm busy. Maybe I can set him on the trail. "You don't have anything to do today, dear? Why don't you go visit every Whole Foods in the area and see if you can spot some chef-looking people running around frantically and buying things in large quantities?"

Except I think he'd rather do other things that actually interest him. Oh, well. I can tell him what kinds of activities to look for in case he does stumble across them.

• Love 3
I know Julia Childs [sic] is gone, but perhaps her kitchen set will be visited.

Her whole kitchen has been moved to the Smithsonian.  The house is a private residence and isn't open to the public.

Bella, just tell him to look in the Whole Foods parking lot for a bunch of Toyota SUV's.

Interesting Boston themed ideas, everyone. I don't think this has been posted here yet from Bravo's Top chef website (emphasis mine):

'Top Chef' Season 12 Is Heading To…
The host city is revealed! 

April 30th

It's time to pack your knives—Top Chef is headed to Beantown!

Bravo is thrilled to reveal that Season 12 will be taking place in Boston, Massachusetts in the latest quest to discover the next great American chef.

In partnership with the Greater Boston Convention & Visitors Bureau, Cheftestants will battle it out knife-to-knife to see if they have what it takes to earn the title and culinary bragging rights.

And who will they be cooking for in the latest edition of our James Beard Award-winning series? Padma Lakshmi returns as host; Tom Colicchio returns as Head Judge and Gail Simmons returns as Judge. We'll also be featuring several guest judges, including Boston-based chefs and top celebrities. Production for Season 12 kicks off this Spring and the show will premiere on Bravo this Fall.

"Boston has always been at the top of our wish list as a location for Top Chef, not only because of its rich historical significance, but also because of its robust and ever-growing culinary scene," Shari Levine, SVP of Current Production for Bravo, says in a statement. "Top Chef will showcase the many facets of the city which in turn will bring its fresh, unique flavor to Season 12."

Thanks, Lucky!

I just created a media thread for future press releases. We don't consider announcements by the show or by Bravo to be spoilers. For other sources, please err on the side of protecting those who are spoiler-averse. It's easier to edit out spoiler tags than it is for them to forget something they read.

• Love 1

I know Julia Childs is gone, but perhaps her kitchen set will be visited. She did film at PBS in Brighton for decades.  Maybe recreating one of her dishes?  No idea who would be a fit judge there

They could use Jaques Pepin as a judge for some kind of Julia Childs challenge.

(edited)

Dammit, I hope there's NOT a Wahlburger's visit/challenge.  I already don't like how much other reality TV tie-ins and reality celebs have to do with this show.

At the very least, Wahlburgers or not, I bet there's far too much chance of SOMEONE name Wahlberg being a guest celeb judge.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

From the article:

Over on Chowhound, at least one Lakshmi sighting has been documented — she was apparently at the Copley Square Farmers Market on May 16.

DH and I were walking down Boylston Street, across the street from Copley Square Farmers Market, on May 16, and we did see evidence of something being filmed (specifically, someone holding one of those anti-glare (?) panels that they use to get the lighting right). However, it was raining and extremely windy, and we were seeking beer and munchies, so I did not suggest that we investigate.

I am going to Boston tomorrow. Hopefully I can spot something. I am a baker and plan on checking out some bakeries and having some nice dinners with my son. I am also planning on going to the Scooper Bowl to get my fill of ice cream! I will keep my eyes peeled!

From realityblurred.com:

•If you’re in or near Boston and want to be a diner at a Top Chef challenge, e-mail topchefboston@gmail.com, per Tom Colicchio and Gail Simmons.

It would be so cool if someone from here did this.

I'm in Boston but I really don't have the time. I blame my three year old.

There was a whole thing this past weekend where they were taking applications on why you were the biggest Top Chef Superfan. They would choose some for some sort of challenge. Not restaurant wars, they said.

On another note, for some reason, they are filming an episode of "Top Chef" with Gordon Ramsay behind a half empty building across the street from my office in Woburn.   Got tents set up out back and cops blocking off the entrance way.

An intriguing Top Chef sighting from a non-TV or food board.

Woburn is a really random location. Office parks and malls.

I wonder if this is really Top Chef or if they really identified Gordon Ramsay. It sounds more like one of his Kitchen Nightmare shows might be filming, except for the part about the cops. Hmmm.

My assumption is that in terms of the Ramsay empire and Top Chef, never the twain shall meet.  Emeril worked as a merging of properties because his TV stuff wasn't in competition with Bravo.  Note that Rocco DiSpirito (a similar example) was only on Top Chef when he didn't have his own reality TV presence.  Generally that seems to be the rule.

• Love 1

It's entirely possible that the report will be proven false or misguided.  That said, I have no reason to think the poster was lying, though mistaking another show for Top Chef is certainly a reasonable possibility.

That's my inclination - to think that either it was another show, or that the poster mistook someone else for Gordon Ramsay. Mostly true, but some details off.

Well, now I can say that Padma Lakshmi has been in my backyard. The food truck gathering seen at the top of this link is literally in shouting distance from my back window.

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2014/06/16/take-a-look-at-where-top-chef-judges-have-been-dining-in-boston/

She's seen eating with Kristin Kish, but since she worked blocks away at Stir I'd assume that she's been at the food truck gathering plenty.

I don't think any of the photos pertain to challenges. Just the judges doing the culinary tour of Boston.

• Love 1

Not sure if this is a spoiler or not because it was a commercial on Bravo but...Richard Blais is coming on as a judge?

I don't think I love Top Chef enough to deal with that.  

Yes! When I saw that I was taken aback. It's a shame because I was looking forward to a new season.

• Love 1

I wish they would go back to the original formula.  The venues force chefs to cook outside of their style.  New Orleans was a mess.  They did not have gumbo in their repertoire so we watched them stumble though that challenge.  I watch because I want to see good food in their personal style, not something they are learning to cook for the first time. 

Didn't they do Boston on a previous season?  I lived there and I am very familiar with the food.  It is not all about chowder and baked beans.  The city has excellent restaurants that could be found in any sophisticated city.  I never saw baked beans on a menu, ever.  I am sure they are somewhere, but certainly not prevalent.  

I like Antonia, very much.  Richard, eh.  This is my favorite TV show so I will gladly sit through his guest judging and not allow it to bother me. 

The way the commercials are billing Richard makes me think that he's going to be a regular judge, which prompted me to ask the world, "Who did this and how dare you?"

He is listed as one of many guest judges.  

He is listed as one of many guest judges.  

This may be true but why would they feature Richard so much as opposed to other, much more impressive guest judges? He can't be that much of a favorite. The previews I see on Bravo are portraying Richard as a judge. Like Toby on Top Chef NY (S5).  I'd be more inclined to watch the new season if Hubert Keller was being touted as a guest judge.

Now if it were Harold, I'd get it. I love Harold. He's still Top Chef in my book.

Edited by turbogirlnyc
  • Love 2

Busted.  I just hope that they don't do Boston Baked Beans.  Had them once in Boston.  Won't have them again.  I'm not a huge bean fan to begin with, but dried beans are just not that good.

Bastet - every time I see your name my brain converts it into 'the cat Bastet'.

Busted.

Too funny. We just adopted a bombay (house panther) named Venus from a rescue group and renamed her Bast. It didn't occur to me that meant we had a (the) cat Bastet in the house.

• Love 1
The fact they my stomach turns just from seeing Richard in the commercials doesn't bode well for my ability to last the season.

I wasn't aware of his presence, so seeing him tonight in the First Look preview was an unpleasant surprise. Padma promised that we'd be seeing a lot of him, so I may not be able to watch this season. Bad Blaise!

Not sure where to put comments about the little preview we got last night, and this is the only place talking about Season 12.

Thought it was pretty funny that the guy doing kosher Mexican in a food truck got into trouble shucking clams! Then again oysters and lobsters were not much better since he doesn't have a lot of experience with any shellfish.

Interesting to see if these people have as much attitude as it looked or if they were just edited that way to draw some interest in the 15 minutes we had.

I thought it was funny that the guy who fought with the blond girl over lobsters (Blue team) ended up prepping them badly, while the girl whizzed through her clams. I'd rather see Colicchio stand next to Padma rather than Blaise. Tom is not quite so "Look at me!!" as Blaise is.

I thought it was funny that the guy who fought with the blond girl over lobsters (Blue team) ended up prepping them badly, while the girl whizzed through her clams. I'd rather see Colicchio stand next to Padma rather than Blaise. Tom is not quite so "Look at me!!" as Blaise is.

I thought it was her fault for caving - if she watched last season's Carlos follies, she knows better than to appease the selfish toddlertestant - but I really wanted to see him slip on a wet patch and bruise his pride when he told her to use her anger over him insisting on the lobster he fucked up, as if his bad behavior was somehow responsible for her skills.

I did think it was very Richard that he had to end his introduction as a judge with "but enough about me"

Happiest words of the mini-episode.  Saddest - "you'll be seeing a lot of Richard".

• Love 2

You know those plastic static cling things you can get for windows, during the holidays? I'm going to buy a pumpkin Jack-o-Lantern and put it on my TV screen when Blais appears. I'll only have to be close to the TV during judges table, so no problem.