Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: A Change Would Do You Good

Well. This episode. I don't hve much to say. I didn't hate it but I didn't like it? It's just kind of there at this point with the show.

Summer Roberts/Zoe Harts wears glasses and is excellent at brand marketing.

• Love 2

Too much everything and everybody when it needed to be Deacon, Avery, Gunner & Will singing together and maybe some Scarlett but only if she doesn't talk or do anything but sing.  And please don't dance.

• Love 7
(edited)
22 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Summer Roberts/Zoe Harts wears glasses and is excellent at brand marketing.

Thank God!  I thought I was the only one who thought that Seth and Ryan were going to walk in on the meeting (off topic for a sec, why hasn't Fox cast Adam Brody on Gotham yet? It'd be worth it just to have Adam and ben have a "what the..." look at each other")?

Juliette.....goddamnit you were doing so well until tonight. Her trust issues have come back with a vengeance. Somebody needs to remind her that it is possible for an adult man and woman to have a completely professional trusting relationship without any romantic feelings at all.

While I'm happy for Will getting a Budweiser spot (they'd better be a MAJOR  sponsor of any tour he's part of as well as a sizeable payment for the commercial), speaking as a gay man I really find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be a huge backlash to him being in a commercial. I know times are changing, but not quickly enough and there's still too much hate and ignorance out there ( Hi, one million moms!!)

Edited by madhacker
34 minutes ago, madhacker said:

Juliette.....goddamnit you were doing so well until tonight. Her trust issues have come back with a vengeance. Somebody needs to remind her that it is possible for an adult man and woman to have a completely professional trusting relationship without any romantic feelings at all.

I think that was in the previews.  I thought she was great tonight.  Giving Hallie some good advice.  Being supportive of Maddie.  Looking a little guilty about "stealing" Maddie's song but singing the hell out of it anyway.

I didn't watch Maddie last week because I'm very ugh Maddie when it comes to her but I heard some people thought they did better than expected with the Maddie/Clay/cop story so I watched tonight.  I did like little touches.  I liked that she didn't know whether or not to apologize and who to apologize to.  I appreciated how the news dug up Clay's "ugly" past which the news tends to do to black men even when they're the victims. 

Scarlett...I don't care. I don't empathize.

43 minutes ago, madhacker said:

While I'm happy for Will getting a Budweiser spot (they'd better be a MAJOR  sponsor of any tour he's part of as well as a sizeable payment for the commercial), speaking as a gay man I really find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be a huge backlash to him being in a commercial. I know times are changing, but not quickly enough and there's still too much hate and ignorance out there ( Hi, one million moms!!)

Right.  It was great to see Will again but I found it a bit odd that they presented this rather idealistic scenario in an episode where Bucky was warning Maddie about the conservative bent of country music radio and the country music audience.

• Love 2

I feel like this Maddie story has been very anticlimactic. Huge fallout my ass. Nothing happened she wasn't affected by this at all. Poor Clay I thought his story was going to take a very sad turn but good for him getting out of Dodge. 

Damn Scarlett we get you hate Gunner but for some horrible reason you want him you and the rest of us to suffer. How the hell did this couple take such a crazy turn. Break up and move on. 

Nooo Juliette in next week's promo is not the Jules that I want. I liked this episodes Juliette the one that cares but still screws up and needs Avery to fix things.

Long time no see Will. Welcome back let's see how long it lasts.

With like every other bro country song out there drop a beer brand I don't get why these guys are so against advertising. It's come to a point I don't even notice it in music any more. But I'm sure it's beneath these purest (eye roll)

What was with Avery's snide comment about putting out the fires that Juliette starts?  He was the one who wanted Hallie to dump her band.  He started this fire himself.  And Juliette's advice to Maddie and to Hallie was dead on.  (I'm reserving judgment on the Hallie/Juliette blow up next week until I see what precipitates it.)

I think the writers have to give someone on this show some happiness if it's to survive.  Think about it.  There is not one truly happy couple on the canvas.  Could we have a little love?  A little romance?  Could Avery and Juliette be happy for at least five minutes?

Maddie is growing on me and will earn my undying admiration if she gets that nasty teen out of the house!  Deacon is trying his best, but he is still a rookie as a parent.  I don't see Rayna or Teddy (especially Teddy) letting Daphne room with her.  And since I don't believe Deacon ever followed through and contacted Children's Services, he could be opening himself up to a world of liability.  

Free Gunnar!!!!!!

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, TVFAN said:

What was with Avery's snide comment about putting out the fires that Juliette starts?

It was a bit snide but she does sometimes set fires (herself on fire) and he needs to deal with it.  Since he has stuck with a lot from her, I'll give him this even though it wasn't her fault.  I am a little surprised no one brought up to Hallie that it's often common for an artist, especially when starting out, to use studio musicians when recording but she may have a lot more leeway to take her band on tour.  Sometimes excellent musicians hope to reach the pinnacle where they can drop touring and focus on being sessions musicians.

I did appreciate the deep cut subtle nod to history in that Avery was in this same position once upon a time. Remember when Avery was portrayed as a total asshole?  (Although, I don't think he was wrong to dump his band just as I don't think Hallie will be wrong to dump hers.)

Trying to make the whole "Maddie Jaymes gets arrested for talking back to the cops" story a big deal is just not working. I seriously doubt everyone would be in such an uproar over the entire incident. It would be on the gossip shows for a couple of days, & then it would be gone. 

I'm sick of Daphne's friend, what purpose does she serve?

I don't like this new strategy woman & Will's boyfriend just gets on my nerves.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, GaT said:

Trying to make the whole "Maddie Jaymes gets arrested for talking back to the cops" story a big deal is just not working. I seriously doubt everyone would be in such an uproar over the entire incident. It would be on the gossip shows for a couple of days, & then it would be gone. 

I'm sick of Daphne's friend, what purpose does she serve?

I don't like this new strategy woman & Will's boyfriend just gets on my nerves.

Yeah, another celeb (a bigger one probably given that Maddie is barley a star at this point) would do something and Maddie would be old news. 

I don't get what they are trying to do with Daphnes new friend either. Is Daphne still depressed? Remember that storyline that would have been interesting, I suppose this new friendship could be a effect of that but I don't think so. I personally wish they had gone more into detail with her depression over Raynas death. 

• Love 1
On 6/16/2017 at 7:43 PM, slasherboy said:

I want Deacon and Avery to fall in love!!

With each other???

In the last song, what was with Deacon walking up the weird staircase?  Is that in Rayna's house--I don't recall it.

• Love 3

Nice touch with the media digging up something from Clay's past to spin him as a troublemaker.  For a show about country music (sort of) called Nashville on CMT, they are doing well with the little things without going balls to the wall.  As a black woman,  I appreciate that and I haven't cringed TOO much.  

The callback to Natalie Maines and that entire mess that was bestowed upon her was also nicely done, and very relevant.  My senior project was based on the country music business in a post 9/11 world.  Bucky wins with his list of donts. 

I totally forgot Will's name tonight.  I kept calling him Chris in my head, knowing that was his real name but couldn't think of the character's name for anything.  He's been underused this season, but it looks like they're going to pull him out more. 

Can we just have Scarlett come down with yellow fever and die or something? Maybe she also infects Daphne's friend and she dies too.  That would be good. 

Avery is a prince.  I ship him with everyone but Hallie and Avery can make sweet, sweet music together and I can listen.  His character needs to be doing more.

• Love 8
44 minutes ago, LekoBoy said:

With each other???

In the last song, what was with Deacon walking up the weird staircase?  Is that in Rayna's house--I don't recall it.

I am so glad that someone else picked up,on the weird staircase thing!

I have loved Deacon, since Episode One.  They Better Not have sneaking a drink here and there, to cope with everything. Remember Maddie comment that Deacon was always working late. He's trying so hard, but, not sure he's really dealing with his grief. Between work and the girl's is he trying to bury it? 

(edited)
4 hours ago, LekoBoy said:

With each other???

Yes, that's the front staircase in Rayna's house.  If you go back and watch the funeral episode that's the staircase Deacon walked up when he came home - leads to the bedrooms. (I'm actually surprised that so many people have forgotten that.)

My reaction to that was to feel sad, watching him walk upstairs to go to bed all by himself.  You can still see the grief in him, although I think he's doing a good job of trying to keep everyone moving forward.  And I know every time someone tells him how sorry they are about Rayna, it just feels like a knife to his heart.

Edited by piratewench
  • Love 2

I still don't really get how Juliette is going to "steal" that song. Does she think the songwriter won't notice after it's released? Do they think music production follows the "finders keepers" rule?

19 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

I still don't really get how Juliette is going to "steal" that song. Does she think the songwriter won't notice after it's released? Do they think music production follows the "finders keepers" rule?

She already told the songwriter Maddie passed on it.  That could always come back to bite her some day, if the songwriter runs into Maddie and mentions it.

• Love 2

So, I actually thought that was a decent episode, at least by the standards of the last few seasons of this show. At this point, I'm just super happy to actually have a few nice songs in this show about the music industry. And, most shockingly, I actually liked Maddie in this episode! I still think the show spends WAY too much time on Maddie and Daphne's angst, but at least she had an actual reason to angst this week. And I thought her reactions to all of this was pretty well done, as a 17 year old who is suddenly thrown into this huge controversial, hot button issue, without any real understanding about it. The idea of Nashville doing something with police brutality against black people sounds really weird, but I think if they were going to do it, they did a pretty good job. I wish we had seen a bit more of what people were talking about with Maddie though. It seems like from what we saw, she had some people saying how disrespectful she was towards the cop, some people saying she was a dumb white girl making things worse, and some people who were just taking the opportunity to be mean to a semi famous young woman. Really, I felt super bad for Clay in all this. He had this super scary experience that could have ended MUCH worse easily, and is now under fire from the media just because of his association with Maddie. I cant say I'm super invested in the guy, but I do feel for him, especially when they were pulling up old stories of his "run ins with the law", which sounded like he was a danger to himself at a bad time in his life, not to anyone else. Like because he had a minor history with the cops, that means he probably deserved to be shot. Assholes.

I also liked Bucky talking to Maddie about how country music is more conservative than pretty much any other part of the entertainment industry, and dissing the police is a "no fly zone" in their corner of the music world. I like when they deal with specific issues within the country music scene, or things that country artists have to deal with that other celebrities might not struggle with as much. They've done a lot with Wills story in that regard (to varying degrees of subtly and success), and I think its an interesting thing to focus on. Looks like we might get more with him having a big beer sponsorship, which I'm sure will lead to a whole mix of reactions.

I'm kind of confused as to everyone's reactions to Rachel Bilson announcing that they need to find some sponsors. Like, isn't that super common in the whole entertainment industry, especially for people who aren't super famous? I actually agreed with Scarlett for fine second when she defended Deacon, and reminded everyone that he had a business to run, and they all needed to make a damn living.  

Avery might have been a bit snide in his comment about putting out Juliet's fires, but...he isn't wrong. Avery's entire life is basically dealing with Juliet's never ending drama, and trying to be supportive, and running around trying to be diplomatic with people she pisses off. I don't blame him for being a little snarky. Take the tour Avery!

I do really enjoy the return of the sassier Juliet again. I don't want her to totally go back to before she met Avery and found God and stuff, but I like seeing her fire again.

Wow, is there a princess locked in a tower at the top of Deacons room? That is some ridiculously fancy staircase game.

• Love 3
(edited)

Yeah. I'm just meh on this episode. I also was confused about everyone's reaction to sponsors. In the early seasons wasn't Juliette big on sponsorships? I feel like she was hawking makeup or something back in the early seasons.

And they all seem to have this idea that sponsorship is selling out. Which it isn't. I hate this storyline just for that reason, only because in reality, all celebrity's for the most part are partners with a sponsorship of some kind. Pepsi sponsors the super bowl halftime show and has been for a few years and therefore a lot of artists I guess are selling out. It's just a stupid story because I guess we're supposed to be on the side of Deacon and crew that sponsorship is selling out. But like Summer said it's how you make money for all your fancy tours you want to go on. No one buys cds really anymore and all that.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
10 hours ago, LekoBoy said:

With each other???

Absolutely!!

9 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Can we just have Scarlett get yellow fever and die or something? Maybe she also infects Daphne's friend and she dies too.  That would be good. 

Maybe she'll get scarlett fever!  See what I did there?

• Love 9
7 hours ago, piratewench said:

Yes, that's the front staircase in Rayna's house.  If you go back and watch the funeral episode that's the staircase Deacon walked up when he came home - leads to the bedrooms. (I'm actually surprised that so many people have forgotten that.)

My reaction to that was to feel sad, watching him walk upstairs to go to bed all by himself.  You can still see the grief in him, although I think he's doing a good job of trying to keep everyone moving forward.  And I know every time someone tells him how sorry they are about Rayna, it just feels like a knife to his heart.

Personally I feel that, for a recovering alcoholic, Deacon is dealing with the loss of the person who was his entire life a little too well. Actually even for a non-alcoholic he's adjusted strangely quickly to life without Rayna. I just don't see that as being the way he would be following Rayna's sudden and traumatic death, even if he is focusing on being a good parent. I would prefer that they didn't let him drink again but it would be realistic to have him wrestle with a few of the old demons. Plus saintly dad Deacon is a little bit dull. I wonder if the stair climbing scene is an indication that he is going to have to deal more with his own grief/loneliness/loss rather than spend the rest of this season being everyone else's shoulder to cry on. Maybe he will flip out at some point? 

Overall I think the writing and storylines have massively improved since season 4 (Scarlett & Gunnar snoozefest excepted) but it's still less of a show without Connie Britton. I'm still watching to see if I can get used to it and accept it as a different kind of - but fairly decent - show. 

• Love 2

Shouldn't Teddy be out of prison by now? I know Eric Close is no longer on the show but they made kind of a big point about him getting out in 3 months and working an arrangement out with Deacon.  Or did they just drop that story too?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, piratewench said:

She already told the songwriter Maddie passed on it.  That could always come back to bite her some day, if the songwriter runs into Maddie and mentions it.

Ah, thank you! I must have missed that. Still, that's pretty dumb and risky to play with fire like that. They run in the same circles.

She doesn't have to be all Oliver Twist "please sir can I have some more", but Liv (homeless girl) is way too sassy/bitchy considering her situation.  Either she wants to stay there, which may mean making an effort to get along with everyone who belongs in that house, or she doesn't and she can leave.  And the posting of the meme which went viral would get her butt thrown out of my house pretty quick.  You don't get to take my hospitality, then use that proximity to throw one of my kids under the bus.  I can't imagine that is going to have a happy ending next week.

Will is finding straddling a fence a little uncomfortable.  I wish he could have a nice little no drama relationship.  

• Love 4
(edited)

In case anyone missed it, this ep was directed by Devon Gummersall, a.k.a. Brian Krakow.

if Scarlett doesn't want Gunnar's homemade pasta, I'll take it. Seriously, WTF, Scarlett. Basically, Gunnar is just better than being alone but that will backfire someday.

If I were Maddie, I would have gone off on Daphne's friend as soon as she started being rude to me - in my house where she is a guest and is getting free room and board! Seriously, this girl is approaching Jessy Schram levels of annoyance for me. (Sorry, I can't remember what her character's dumb name was. And along the same lines, not that I'm complaining, but whatever happened to the Beverly? Has it been mentioned at all this season?) Why can't either of the girls have a likable recurring friend?

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 3

So Maddie, who has an album, or song or whatever out, is still working as a receptionist at the company.  And it didn't occur to anyone that a reporter or heckler or fan could just walk in and talk to her?   Deacon needs to move out Daphne's 'roomie' , find her a home or a hostel or whatever but move her out.  I am surprised that she is content just hanging around day in and day out.  As a parent you can certainly have concern for the welfare of other kids but you have to put your own kids well-being first and that girl is not an appropriate friend for Daphne especially at this point in her life.

• Love 1
(edited)

I love that Brian Krakow directed this episode.

I liked it. Pretty much everyone was on, and I'm always happy to see Avery have a storyline. What is up with Hallie and the married guy/band member? Are they having an actual  affair? It was unclear to me. 

I seem to only like Scarlett when she's with deacon and even then only in very limited amounts. Why is she living with gunnar when she can barely seem to stand him? Why is he putting up with it?

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Can we just have Scarlett come down with yellow fever and die or something? Maybe she also infects Daphne's friend and she dies too.  That would be good.

This. I think I'm gonna mute the sound whenever Scarlett comes on. I've never done it, but I think I've reached my boiling point with her.

And also this, because it cannot be said enough:

On 23.6.2017. at 6:01 AM, TVFAN said:

Free Gunnar!!!!!!

• Love 8

I thought this ep was okay. Not good but not bad. It felt like a whole bunch of little stories that weren't connected or didn't really have arcs to them. Like they imparted information but didn't lead anywhere. I suppose Maddie's story had an arc in that she apologized and lost Clay. And Hailey's story had an arc. Too bad it involved a guy we'd never heard of and probably won't see again, so that made it just okay.  But Gunnar and Scarlet just seemed to be treading water in an uncomfortable pond. Avery was there to service Hailey's story. Juliette was there for Hailey and Maddie. Will was there to help Zach. Poor Deacon is just a grumpy executive now. I feel like the show is focusing on the wrong people and not givng the characters we care about enough of a story.

And I am so sick of the focus on Maddie and Daphne. I was reading people's comments on FB, and most are not happy about them either. Someone called it Nashville 90210. LOL I still wonder if this is because of CMT's tie to Nickelodeon, which seems like a terrible idea if it's true. 

I know the storylines got crazy in Season 4, but those writers knew how to write for an ensemble and how to make the music the focus. These writers do not. At least the pace has quickened. No more of those "let the scenes breathe" kind of scenes that we saw at the begininng of S5. 

What did I miss that Scarlett seems to act like she has a gun to her head to stay with Gunner?  What did he do to her?   She's acting like she is in some kind of forced marriage.

The writers also need to give Gunner some damn pride.  I'm not seeing anything that makes me understand why he wants to stay with someone who treats him like shit.

• Love 8
On 6/23/2017 at 0:01 AM, TVFAN said:

What was with Avery's snide comment about putting out the fires that Juliette starts?  He was the one who wanted Hallie to dump her band.  He started this fire himself.  And Juliette's advice to Maddie and to Hallie was dead on.

Free Gunnar!!!!!!

Agreed. This wasn't a fire Juliette made. And from that one text, Avery had no idea why Hallie was out, just that she was. Comment was an attempt at him making light of the nature of their relationship, but it came across as condescending and it wasn't even true in this case. 

Please free Gunnar.

1 hour ago, Soup333 said:

This wasn't a fire Juliette made. And from that one text, Avery had no idea why Hallie was out, just that she was. Comment was an attempt at him making light of the nature of their relationship, but it came across as condescending and it wasn't even true in this case. 

Maybe Juliette didn't start the fire, but I thought she poured kerosene on it for sure.  No grown woman wants to be talked to the way Juliette spoke to Hallie, especially as regards to her personal relationship.  Juliette talks to everyone as if they are her employee and have to do what she says.  To be fair, most of the people Juliette speaks to ARE her employees.  But if you are trying to persuade someone to do something that feels so dis-loyal to them, even though it is in their best interest, Avery's way is the way to go.

What I found interesting is the relationship Hallie has is being shown at all.  Usually a character which is being portrayed as religious, isn't allowed to have any behavior that calls into question their religion.  As if every person who goes to church on Sunday lives a perfect life.  I believe it makes Hallie a much more three dimensional character and gives her a personal storyline to go along with the professional storyline.  This is a character I want to tune in to see.  I've  been pretty hard on the writers in the last few episodes, but I think they have done well with Hallie.

4 hours ago, seewillrun said:

Maybe Juliette didn't start the fire, but I thought she poured kerosene on it for sure.  No grown woman wants to be talked to the way Juliette spoke to Hallie, especially as regards to her personal relationship.  Juliette talks to everyone as if they are her employee and have to do what she says.  To be fair, most of the people Juliette speaks to ARE her employees.  But if you are trying to persuade someone to do something that feels so dis-loyal to them, even though it is in their best interest, Avery's way is the way to go.

What I found interesting is the relationship Hallie has is being shown at all.  Usually a character which is being portrayed as religious, isn't allowed to have any behavior that calls into question their religion.  As if every person who goes to church on Sunday lives a perfect life.  I believe it makes Hallie a much more three dimensional character and gives her a personal storyline to go along with the professional storyline.  This is a character I want to tune in to see.  I've  been pretty hard on the writers in the last few episodes, but I think they have done well with Hallie.

She talked to her exactly as I would have to my sister or daughter or friend, which is what she said to Hallie. Giving up an opportunity for a married man is just plain stupid. That's what I would have said - Juliette wasn't that blunt. 

Hallie's relationship is probably being shown because these showrunners don't have a clue. Lol. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/22/2017 at 11:01 PM, madhacker said:

Right... Look at the hateful comments over two dads feeding their kid Campbell's soup. I can't imagine Will appearing in a beer ad would be welcomed with open arms. 

Free Gunnar!!!!!!

OMG... yes! Why in the world are the writers trying to keep them together. Why is Gunnar begging Scarlett to love him when it's very clear she's just settling for him. My heart would be broken if the person I loved moped around and acted like they were in mourning over the one that got away. Run Gunnar and find someone who loves  you back. Let Scarlett raise her baby on her own!

Edited by 40Love
  • Love 4

I liked the episode and the last song may be my favourite of the season.

I figure Budweiser okayed the use of the name on the show? So, if they were okay with that, would it be totally impossible for them to have a real life out country singer as part of its branding team? 

I thought the problem with the branding idea was that she specifically wanted them to write songs with the brands included, as opposed to something like Juliette putting her face on make-up ads. Their songs are their art. Saying "I like Budweiser" on a commercial or writing a jingle for a commercial is very different from writing a song for your album about liking Budweiser.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

I thought the problem with the branding idea was that she specifically wanted them to write songs with the brands included, as opposed to something like Juliette putting her face on make-up ads. Their songs are their art. Saying "I like Budweiser" on a commercial or writing a jingle for a commercial is very different from writing a song for your album about liking Budweiser.

I don't know for sure, but I thought that was her being sarcastic or trying to be funny, not literal.  I could be wrong though.

• Love 2
On 6/23/2017 at 5:36 PM, Moxie Cat said:

In case anyone missed it, this ep was directed by Devon Gummersall, a.k.a. Brian Krakow.

Awwwww, Brian Krakow!! Love that the MSCL team is still connected. Even though this season started sucking so much that I quit watching, I love that Marshall Herskowitz and Ed Zwick hired Devon Gummersall and Winnie Holzman's daughter to work on Nashville. It warms my little MSCL-loving heart.

On 6/23/2017 at 6:10 PM, milner said:

So Maddie, who has an album, or song or whatever out, is still working as a receptionist at the company.  And it didn't occur to anyone that a reporter or heckler or fan could just walk in and talk to her?  

I tried to block out all of the Maddie drama from last year, but I think Deacon made her start working at the studio as an intern either as a punishment for being bratty or because she wasn't in school anymore. I think in the wake of Rayna's death, he probably thought it was good for her to have a routine and a place she had to be every day to help her get through mourning, so in theory I don't have an issue with Maddie still being there.