Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Mo' Onions, Mo' Problems

• Start Topic

(edited)
16 hours ago, MrSmith said:

16 hours ago, MrSmith said:

I love liver and onions. My wife doesn't like either. So, I rarely get it. I've never had grits. So, jury's out on shrimp and grits.

You should really learn to cook, Mr.Smith. Just google up a recipe and follow the directions. Any techniques you're confused about you can find on YouTube!

Edited by cranky cornbread
Ugh.
  • Love 2
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Mr. Minor said:

He may not be afraid of getting fired. You jeopardize my tip you better worry about getting that pussy smirk knocked off of your douche face.

Yeah, that's the thing.  The paying guest didn't penalize the entire crew because Adam messed up.  So, there is no incentive for Adam to act any different.  He gets away with being a jerk.  

People should try grits.  There are good with shrimp, but, to me, best if flavored with butter, salt and pepper and served as side with a hot breakfast like eggs, bacon, sausage, etc.  And if you get real crazy, put sausage gravy over the grits.  (In that case, you can avoid the butter.)  It's a southern standard in NC.  Definitely, a special treat and not for those who are counting calories.  Served plain, they have no real flavor, imo.   The key is to get long cook grits. The instant doesn't really count. lol

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

Far be it for me to cater to anyone's food idiosyncrasies, but even I wouldn't serve something to anyone who specified ONE No-No.  And they aren't PAYING guests.  My beloved Mum couldn't stand the smell of garlic.  Liver (except for leberwurst & pate) makes me wretch.  We somehow managed, and I even vacated the premises when she cooked liver & onions, and I waited until she visited someone else before adding any garlic to my cookery.  All windows were open at all times (thanks, SoCal weather), so airing the place out from the residual cooking stink wasn't even a problem. So, SUCK IT,  Adam.  And while you're at it, why don't you just go fuck yourself too.  Douche-canoe.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, cranky cornbread said:

You should really learn to cook, Mr.Smith. Just google up a recipe and follow the directions. Any techniques you're confused about you can find on YouTube!

Yeah, I probably should. I would say my motivation is low, but that would be to imply that it is higher than it actually is. If I find myself suddenly single or my wife is long-term laid up, I'll learn to cook. Until then, she just knows she's getting chicken soup while she's sick (assuming it's a cold or flu) or one of the things I can actually cook otherwise. (Things like chicken-and-pasta, eggs, or the one or two other things I can actually cook that I can't remember right now.) Even if I learned some things now, I would so rarely be doing the cooking that I would forget it anyway - even if I did the cooking every weekend.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, escapetoreality said:

Let's talk about this tipping culture. I can't imagine that these wads of cash are handed over to a crew this way "in real life." First the amounts seem wildly extravagant by any measure unless the crew is truly paid nothing.  Second, it seems imprudent if not illegal for the clients to be traveling internationally with such large amounts of cash.  Third the crew's obsession with tips probably does reflect real life and having seen this phony baloney facade for the guests I would never enjoy this kind of vacation knowing that all the smiles, compliments and good service are driven by craven tip-consciousness.   It's a fair assumption that people drawn to other service industries such as the airlines truly have a mindset for serving the public but it seems in the yachting industry the overarching attitude is that the guests are a means to an end of travel and under-the-table compensation.  Uhhh no thank you.   (P.S. also having visited Croatia, the idea of extended anchoring out seems like a complete waste of time when there is so much to explore on land). 

The tip is just about the only thing that's real on this show. The people who usually charter yachts are mega millionaires. They are exactly the kind of people who carry five figures in cash and they are likely flying private, not commercial. Or if they're traveling overseas, they can wire spending money ahead of time with payment and the cash is waiting for them in the safe on the yacht. Saves them a trip to a foreign bank and currency exchange fees. But yes, the tip is usually given to the captain in cash.

In this case the real client is Bravo/BDM and they are basically subletting the yacht for shorter trips. Normal yacht charters have a minimum of one week, or even one month. With long-term guests like that, the demands are bigger and the staff/guest relationship is deeper. The tip is to compensate for working around the clock and not taking a single day off in 3+ weeks. 

• Love 6

I have a genetic clotting disorder, so I'm on strong blood thinners. Onions contain adenosine, which is a natural blood thinner. If I eat onions, there is a possibility that  I can start bleeding from every orifice. It can be a big deal, requiring hospitalization, and it probably can even lead to death. Adam's recklessness, callousness and arrogance were inexcusable. He should have been fired.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I get where Hannah was coming from too, but to me, it's not 100% cut and dry.  

Bugs' grandmother died, because of that Bugs threw herself into her work, understandable.  Adam sees Bugs doing all of this working and thinks Hannah is a crap chief stew, because to him Bugs is doing everything.

Adam is an asshole no matter if Hannah is a crap chief stew or not.   For what he did to the guest, he should have been fired.  What if the primary guest was allergic to onions?  

Go away Adam.

It's not 100% cut & dry to me either, but I can understand why Hannah would be upset.  Adam called out Hannah in front of someone that works under Hannah and most of the time he's bitching at her for things that she has no control over.  Further he went out of his way to make her job harder with onion gate.  Bugs had some knowledge that Adam was a manipulative ass and she said nothing.  I like Bugs, but just remaining silent was kind of a jerk move.  I truly don't think Hannah would've been upset with Bugs had Bugs told Adam to knock it off.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, AttackTurtle said:

It's not 100% cut & dry to me either, but I can understand why Hannah would be upset.  Adam called out Hannah in front of someone that works under Hannah and most of the time he's bitching at her for things that she has no control over.  Further he went out of his way to make her job harder with onion gate.  Bugs had some knowledge that Adam was a manipulative ass and she said nothing.  I like Bugs, but just remaining silent was kind of a jerk move.  I truly don't think Hannah would've been upset with Bugs had Bugs told Adam to knock it off.

Sandy heard some of Adam's malicious ranting so she's aware at least! This guy's in trouble and if Ben or another chef becomes available and can fly in there to take over, I think he's history! The ratings show his bad boy moves on Malia are high, but when tips start getting threatened, he may have gone too far! They were quite fortunate the primary wasn't a vindictive a-hole because I've seen money taken out due to something that went wrong; food, slow WiFi, etc.! 

Edited by Avon.Blakes7
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Dominii said:

I have a genetic clotting disorder, so I'm on strong blood thinners. Onions contain adenosine, which is a natural blood thinner. If I eat onions, there is a possibility that  I can start bleeding from every orifice. It can be a big deal, requiring hospitalization, and it probably can even lead to death. Adam's recklessness, callousness and arrogance were inexcusable. He should have been fired.

I appreciate you sharing this. I didn't know this about onions. Thank you for teaching me something today.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Dominii said:

I am sincerely grateful for this post.  This is why what Adam did SUCKED.  It was dangerous because he had ZERO idea of why the primary guest did not want onions.  If someone says no onions, then you obey that request.  If Adam doesn't know how to put flavor in food without onions, then maybe he's not as good a chef as he thinks he is and should go back to culinary school to learn.  He's no "bad boy chef" he's a weasel.  

And WTF is a "bad boy chef" anyway?  He can cook, big fucking deal.  Thousands of people, mainly women do it all the time and aren't even paid for it.  Adam's making good money doing something that he loves doing.  If he doesn't want to do it then he should resign or jump off the boat.

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I am sincerely grateful for this post.  This is why what Adam did SUCKED.  It was dangerous because he had ZERO idea of why the primary guest did not want onions.  If someone says no onions, then you obey that request.  If Adam doesn't know how to put flavor in food without onions, then maybe he's not as good a chef as he thinks he is and should go back to culinary school to learn.  He's no "bad boy chef" he's a weasel.  

And WTF is a "bad boy chef" anyway?  He can cook, big fucking deal.  Thousands of people, mainly women do it all the time and aren't even paid for it.  Adam's making good money doing something that he loves doing.  If he doesn't want to do it then he should resign or jump off the boat.

Like Rocky a couple years ago? ;-)

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Avon.Blakes7 said:

Like Rocky a couple years ago? ;-)

Lol! Yes! But I doubt Adam's butt looks as beautiful as Rocky's! I love men but dang, Rocky had a real piece of art for a tush!

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Lol! Yes! But I doubt Adam's butt looks as beautiful as Rocky's! I love men but dang, Rocky had a real piece of art for a tush!

That must have been why Eddie "hit it" even after the season was over! He was busted at the reunion! He kept talking smack and Rocky exposed him! ;-)

• Love 1
Just now, Avon.Blakes7 said:

That must have been why Eddie "hit it" even after the season was over! He was busted at the reunion! He kept talking smack and Rocky exposed him! ;-)

Yes! But that was a beautiful REAL (and rare) moment in fake reality tv. It should be footage that Andy memorializes in his "clubhouse"

• Love 1
1 minute ago, chenoa333 said:

Yes! But that was a beautiful REAL (and rare) moment in fake reality tv. It should be footage that Andy memorializes in his "clubhouse"

To this day I keep asking "why Eddie was putting all this on Rocky;" as if she corrupted him? Who was filmed in a mariachi outfit sambaing into the laundry room? ;-) I guess you could say he was trying to salvage his relationship, but after seeing the footage, she would know and he would still be busted! ;-)

• Love 5
(edited)

I said this in last week's episode thread: 

Not to defend Adam, but usually the preferences are separate from actual medical issues. So while he was  ignoring the clientele's likes and dislikes, which isn't better,  at least the was not life threatening, which could leave everyone open to a lawsuit. 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

Not to defend Adam, but usually the preferences are separate from actual medical issues. So while he was  ignoring the clientele's likes and dislikes, which isn't better,  at least the was not life threatening, which could leave everyone open to a lawsuit. 

But how would he know whether it's simply a preference and not something medical? Adam took it upon himself to add onions to dishes 3 times; actually lying to the Captain about it initially! I have no sympathy for the guy concerning Malia or his job! The self-entitlement to be a jerk is too much for me to deal with!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

Except they've shown them discussing medical issues as "preferences". Either way, there's no excuse for what he did. Maybe the primary chose to say he doesn't like onions because he doesn't want to share with strangers that he has a medical condition that makes onions bad for his health. My wife would be this way. The crew doesn't need to know all your business and she wouldn't share with them any medical issues she might have. If a medical condition prevented her eating something, she would list it as a preference and say nothing of the medical issue. And I agree with her position (and not just because she's my wife). Why should the crew have to know all my business? If they follow the fucking preference sheet, they don't need to know anything more than that.

• Love 5
On 6/15/2017 at 5:48 AM, MrSmith said:

I want some! When will you next be in Red Wing, MN? I'll give you my address and we'll all sit down and enjoy those together!

I'm sure you can find someone that's better than me at making it.  I'm a California girl that just decided since I love both shrimp and polenta and grits are kind of like polenta I should investigate this whole shrimp and grits thing and discovered it was delicious.  I eat it when get the chance and often that means making it at home because there are not a whole lot of places to get it locally.  There's a Creole place up the street that has amazing gumbo, but their grits are boring and bland (their shrimp is pretty good, but I can't eat bland grits).  It's a bummer because I'd like easy shrimp and grits access, but does mean there's nothing to distract me from their gumbo.  It also means I'm not going broke on having Postmates bring me shrimp and grits every time I'm hungry, so I guess it works out.

3 hours ago, MrSmith said:

Except they've shown them discussing medical issues as "preferences". Either way, there's no excuse for what he did. Maybe the primary chose to say he doesn't like onions because he doesn't want to share with strangers that he has a medical condition that makes onions bad for his health. My wife would be this way. The crew doesn't need to know all your business and she wouldn't share with them any medical issues she might have. If a medical condition prevented her eating something, she would list it as a preference and say nothing of the medical issue. And I agree with her position (and not just because she's my wife). Why should the crew have to know all my business? If they follow the fucking preference sheet, they don't need to know anything more than that.

This is dangerous because more care is usually taken with cross contamination when it is a medical issue.  For instance, I recently had a big ol' plate of fresh grilled seafood and was sharing with my brothers who were dumb and ordered pizza (we were in Vernazza and you get the seafood in a fishing village, not the pizza).  One is allergic to shellfish, so he couldn't have any just because there were shrimp on the plate and it all probably touched.  If he just didn't like the taste or texture of shrimp it wouldn't have mattered that the octopus was sitting on top of it.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I'm sure you can find someone that's better than me at making it.

You must have missed the part where I'm in Minnesota. :D (kidding!) On a serious note, I could learn to do make them or ask my wife to look up the recipe. I'll have some time tonight since she, her mother, and our nephew are going to a movie. I think I'll look up recipes.

This is dangerous because more care is usually taken with cross contamination when it is a medical issue.  For instance, I recently had a big ol' plate of fresh grilled seafood and was sharing with my brothers who were dumb and ordered pizza (we were in Vernazza and you get the seafood in a fishing village, not the pizza).  One is allergic to shellfish, so he couldn't have any just because there were shrimp on the plate and it all probably touched.  If he just didn't like the taste or texture of shrimp it wouldn't have mattered that the octopus was sitting on top of it.

This is a good point.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

we were in Vernazza

one of my favorite places on earth, but funny enough the ONE place in Italy (I've been on longish vacations there three times) where I ever had a bad meal! I ordered fried calamari and it was greasy and underdone. Oh well.

56 minutes ago, dleighg said:

one of my favorite places on earth, but funny enough the ONE place in Italy (I've been on longish vacations there three times) where I ever had a bad meal! I ordered fried calamari and it was greasy and underdone. Oh well.

I wanted to get fried calamari from that place that's on the right hand side of the main street, but everyone was too hungry and wanted to just get a sit down meal.  Maybe they saved me.  I think the best thing I had in Italy was salt crusted sea bass in Burano, the fish had just been caught in the lagoon that morning.  

On topic -- The chef should for sure be cooking fresh and local.  There's no beating it.  

8 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

right hand side of the main street

if it's the right hand side walking uphill, that's the place :)

And I've often thought that some constraints on meals has a way of focusing the mind and causing *more* creativity. At least I feel that way when cooking for family and friends. It can get you out of ruts.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, MrSmith said:

I'm fairly sure I didn't excuse anything Adam did and do feel he should've been fired for his behavior. Was just pointing out there IS a difference between preference and allergy.

And while I don't think strangers need to know all my business, if something could kill or make me or a family member/friend sick, I'd  go as far as to wear a neon sign telling people this. Because it is that important. My daughter can't eat sesame, when we get bagels we get bagel types bagged separately to make sure there isn't a chance a sesame seed snuck in. And that's something we have control over, when someone else is cooking, we're even more vocal. On the other hand, that same daughter dislikes tomatoes and can easily push them aside and enjoy the rest of the meal. Big difference. 

• Love 4
On 6/15/2017 at 9:31 AM, walnutqueen said:

Far be it for me to cater to anyone's food idiosyncrasies, but even I wouldn't serve something to anyone who specified ONE No-No.  And they aren't PAYING guests.  My beloved Mum couldn't stand the smell of garlic.  Liver (except for leberwurst & pate) makes me wretch.  We somehow managed, and I even vacated the premises when she cooked liver & onions, and I waited until she visited someone else before adding any garlic to my cookery.  All windows were open at all times (thanks, SoCal weather), so airing the place out from the residual cooking stink wasn't even a problem. So, SUCK IT,  Adam.  And while you're at it, why don't you just go fuck yourself too.  Douche-canoe.

Agdee!

I'm with you Walnut I hate liver. I love the bacon and onions fried with it. Love the smell of it cooking but could I eat it...no. I tried but no. But I can eat braunschweiger, pate and foie and I don't mind it chopped up in giblet gravy.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

I'm fairly sure I didn't excuse anything Adam did and do feel he should've been fired for his behavior. Was just pointing out there IS a difference between preference and allergy.

And while I don't think strangers need to know all my business, if something could kill or make me or a family member/friend sick, I'd  go as far as to wear a neon sign telling people this. Because it is that important. My daughter can't eat sesame, when we get bagels we get bagel types bagged separately to make sure there isn't a chance a sesame seed snuck in. And that's something we have control over, when someone else is cooking, we're even more vocal. On the other hand, that same daughter dislikes tomatoes and can easily push them aside and enjoy the rest of the meal. Big difference. 

Fair enough.

On 6/15/2017 at 0:01 PM, walnutqueen said:

That's an awful lot to read & digest for someone who was merely quoting a classic Vicky rant (the OG of the {RHo} OC).   Besides, I have cataracts!   ;-)

Damn my dumb sense of timing, and questionable sense of humor (or, humour).

It's a classic quote from SNL!  Chris Farley?

16 hours ago, jumper sage said:

It's a classic quote from SNL!  Chris Farley?

7 hours ago, Suck It Trebek said:

Motivational speaker Matt Foley! Classic Farley. 

35 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

i am well aware of the quote.  I was merely citing another quote from a Bravo reality show.  BFD.

It's pop culture on top of pop culture. It's like when they edit some actor's footage into a housewives scene on WWHL.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

It's pop culture on top of pop culture. It's like when they edit some actor's footage into a housewives scene on WWHL.

I didn't watch back then, but is this a scene from "OC" where Vicki's going on vacation and the limo service sent a small minivan unable to handle her luggage? ;-)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

It is!

Women! They're so lucky with how their things can be packed while if I take an extra pair of shoes, I've lost half my suitcase! Even with all that room to carry a dozen pairs of shoes and half a dozen dresses, women still need & find a way to over-pack; as if they're moving away for a month when it's only a quick weekend with the girls! I've taken less to Europe for a 3 week excursion! ;-(

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:52 PM, Avon.Blakes7 said:

Sandy heard some of Adam's malicious ranting so she's aware at least! This guy's in trouble and if Ben or another chef becomes available and can fly in there to take over, I think he's history! The ratings show his bad boy moves on Malia are high, but when tips start getting threatened, he may have gone too far! They were quite fortunate the primary wasn't a vindictive a-hole because I've seen money taken out due to something that went wrong; food, slow WiFi, etc.! 

I always figure the bar has been set pretty low for firing "crew" (reality show actors).  Kate made a penis towel for a guest, lied to the captain and then whined about the others not defending her dipstick move because they were worried about the tip.

(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:35 PM, Giselle said:

Agdee!

I'm with you Walnut I hate liver. I love the bacon and onions fried with it. Love the smell of it cooking but could I eat it...no. I tried but no. But I can eat braunschweiger, pate and foie and I don't mind it chopped up in giblet gravy.

I guess I was the strangest kid around because I loved liver! Southern moms can't get away from making liver and onions periodically, but making the difference by smothering it in brown gravy! I never had a problem with it and all the products; chopped liver/pate! It was the one way I got my iron due to inability to take iron pills! Now that I'm older, I don't mess with any organ meats, shell fish, & the like due to cholesterol concerns! Watching cooking shows, it appears people may miss a step; throwing the liver in milk to deal with that metallic taste! Would that have made the difference with some of you?

Edited by Avon.Blakes7
  • Love 1
On 6/16/2017 at 1:31 PM, dleighg said:

if it's the right hand side walking uphill, that's the place :)

And I've often thought that some constraints on meals has a way of focusing the mind and causing *more* creativity. At least I feel that way when cooking for family and friends. It can get you out of ruts.

Agreed! I've cooked professionally and all of my best meals have been the ones with the most restrictions because it forces me to branch out and use unique ingredient combinations. Whenever I make a special one portion meal, everyone else requests it too. But Adam is setting the bar exceptionally low. Everything he makes is straight out of culinary school. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Avon.Blakes7 said:

I guess I was the strangest kid around because I loved liver! Southern moms can't get away from making liver and onions periodically, but making the difference by smothering it in brown gravy! I never had a problem with it and all the products; chopped liver/pate! It was the one way I got my iron due to inability to take iron pills! Now that I'm older, I don't mess with any organ meats, shell fish, & the like due to cholesterol concerns! Watching cooking shows, it appears people may miss a step; throwing the liver in milk to deal with that metallic taste! Would that have made the difference with some of you?

I don't like the texture and I don't like the mineral metallic taste it has. I don't care for dove for the same reason, for me it has that same metallic taste and I can taste it even if they've been soaked in buttermilk.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Giselle said:

I don't like the texture and I don't like the mineral metallic taste it has. I don't care for dove for the same reason, for me it has that same metallic taste and I can taste it even if they've been soaked in buttermilk.

This is interesting because I've never tasted any metallic or mineral type flavor in liver. That's not to say it's not there, of course! I've just never tasted it and so to read that other people do is fascinating!

• Love 1
On 6/15/2017 at 0:15 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

People should try grits.  There are good with shrimp, but, to me, best if flavored with butter, salt and pepper and served as side with a hot breakfast like eggs, bacon, sausage, etc.  And if you get real crazy, put sausage gravy over the grits.  (In that case, you can avoid the butter.)  It's a southern standard in NC.  Definitely, a special treat and not for those who are counting calories.  Served plain, they have no real flavor, imo.   The key is to get long cook grits. The instant doesn't really count.

Another NC girl here, and I could not agree more! When I was growing up, my folks would send me to summer camp where they served truly awful mass-cooked grits, no seasoning, congealed because they were room temp, and not hot enough to add butter to, even if they gave you butter...  It scarred my psyche to the point where I wouldn't touch grits until I was an adult. A good friend cooked for me grits for the gods, just as you describe - slow cooked with a little salt, pepper and a dollop of butter. They've been a staple in my house ever since. Once you go grits, you don't go back!

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, epc said:

Another NC girl here, and I could not agree more! When I was growing up, my folks would send me to summer camp where they served truly awful mass-cooked grits, no seasoning, congealed because they were room temp, and not hot enough to add butter to, even if they gave you butter...  It scarred my psyche to the point where I wouldn't touch grits until I was an adult. A good friend cooked for me grits for the gods, just as you describe - slow cooked with a little salt, pepper and a dollop of butter. They've been a staple in my house ever since. Once you go grits, you don't go back!

Add me to the grit lovers!  I'm an in-house attorney and where I used to work we had outside counsel in the UK who would come visit us periodically and wine and dine us.  One time we went to Dean Fearing's restaurant here in Dallas and those were some good grits.  Anyway, the UK guy asked us "What is, or are, grits?"  It was hard to explain to someone who had no idea.  Another visit I had a conversation with him about what tortillas were.  Good times.

Edited by TexasGal
whine is not wine
  • Love 3

Malia is cute but what's with all of the guys going gaga over her? It's weird.

And with Bobby being like, "Oh, it's my turn to try and get with her!" I know he didn't say that but that's how he was acting. It was so offputting. 

• Love 1

Catching this again on the weekly marathon rerun.  

Adam is still a dick.  His shoulders creep me out.  I think it is the way he holds them maybe.  He seems like a giant insect.

This time around I noticed Hannah calling Bugs and Adam "bum chums" in a talking head.  It might have been okay 15-20 years ago, but not in this day and age.  Maybe it is a cultural thing and Australia isn't as PC as the US, so she doesn't realize she's being casually homophobic.  

58 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Adam is still a dick.  His shoulders creep me out.  I think it is the way he holds them maybe.  He seems like a giant insect.

This time around I noticed Hannah calling Bugs and Adam "bum chums" in a talking head.  It might have been okay 15-20 years ago, but not in this day and age.  Maybe it is a cultural thing and Australia isn't as PC as the US, so she doesn't realize she's being casually homophobic.  

Do you watch Real Housewives of Melbourne? I've decided that Australia is a solid 15 years behind on those type of issues. You know when people are gossiping and the message gets garbled as it passes from person to person, we call it a "game of telephone." In Australia, it's called "Chinese whispers."

9 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Different set of norms in Australia.  I love my Aussie pals but dear god.  They use C U Next Tuesday so casually.  It is like saying buddy to them. Anyways, bum chum is socially acceptable in Australia. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, I googled a bit and apparently it just means best mates to a lot of Australians. I wonder if a (negative) gay connotation was originally even a part of it or if it's just because the words rhyme? Guess I need to google more..

Edit: This is the U.K. but: http://community.babycentre.co.uk/post/a28411197/wyoo_the_term_bum_chum?cpg=1 

So I guess she may have meant it like they were kissing each other's asses as well. Considering she was referring to a man and woman on top of it, I doubt she was trying to be homophobic. I don't like Hannah but I don't see her as homophobic.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 1
On 6/15/2017 at 8:16 AM, escapetoreality said:

Let's talk about this tipping culture. I can't imagine that these wads of cash are handed over to a crew this way "in real life." First the amounts seem wildly extravagant by any measure unless the crew is truly paid nothing.  Second, it seems imprudent if not illegal for the clients to be traveling internationally with such large amounts of cash.  Third the crew's obsession with tips probably does reflect real life and having seen this phony baloney facade for the guests I would never enjoy this kind of vacation knowing that all the smiles, compliments and good service are driven by craven tip-consciousness.   It's a fair assumption that people drawn to other service industries such as the airlines truly have a mindset for serving the public but it seems in the yachting industry the overarching attitude is that the guests are a means to an end of travel and under-the-table compensation.  Uhhh no thank you.   (P.S. also having visited Croatia, the idea of extended anchoring out seems like a complete waste of time when there is so much to explore on land). 

I was in Food & Beverage for 45 years. NO ONE who lives off tips gives one dang about you. It's all about the money! If you got paid every day according to what your boss "felt you deserved" you'd be grinning like a fool also! Yes, you are a means to an end. You are how we pay we pay our electric bills, heating, ac, food, etc., etc. That's the system. Now most of us DO want you to have a great time and a great meal..not because we give a hoot about you but because your money is our paycheck.  Never worked on a yacht but I have a ton of experience in this!

ALL cooks hate making  breakfast. It's really hard to get eggs out as they "die" after 3 minutes. However when you are on a yacht and paying big bucks and there are only a few people? GTFO. We used to churn out 100's of breakfasts every day. What this idiot is cooking is a piece of cake! 

I'm woefully behind as it's August and I just saw this one last night .......

• Love 2